Friday, 9 March 2012

Salmons Brook Bury Street

Salmons Brook
Salmons Brook flows south eastwards

The remains of a village area surrounded by urban Edmonton

Post to the west Winchmore Hill

Bury Street
Bury Street was a small village with a hall, a big house, a farm.
Bury Hall.   This stood south of Bury Street roughly in the area of Darley Road.  It was a grand Jacobean house, enlarged in 1750. It was home to the Galliard family but its last owner was William Bowater, the paper-maker. It was said to have a cellar “covers a larger area than the house, and is believed to have been connected with a subterranean passage that linked up the old houses in Bury Street, and connected with the Church.” It was demolished for the building of Cambridge Road in 1920.
Bury Hall Farm stood opposite the Hall on the north side of Bury Street

Bury Street West
Bury Park Bowls Club
Stag and Hounds.  1920s rebuild of a much older pub
Salisbury House.  16th brick and timber house with clustered chimneystacks, part weather boarded. Used as an Arts Centre
Bury Lodge. Medieval house which was adjacent to Salisbury House. Demolished in 1936.
Bury Lodge Park ornamental garden and play facilities. The Gardens were laid out on the grounds of Bury Lodge by Edmonton Urban District Council in 1936. It was officially opened in 1937 and much of the original layout is intact. There is a rose garden, a lily pond, a pergola, an open-air draughts board, a paddling pool and a grass plot for games.

Church Street
Edmonton Sports and Social Club
Dairy Crest Depot
Cambridge Green

Great Cambridge Road
Bury Hall Villas – 1930s houses near the site of Bury Hall.
King George’s Field. Sports field in strip alongside the main road.
Edmonton County School. This is the Cambridge Campus which was the upper school up until 2009. These buildings were the old grammar school. The school was founded in 1919 as Edmonton Central School, where girls and boys under Middlesex County Council it became Edmonton County Secondary School and later Edmonton County Grammar School. In 1967, it was amalgamated with Rowantree Secondary Modern School as a comprehensive called Edmonton School. It became a specialist technical college in 2003.
Churchfields Recreation Ground. Rugby pitches

Latymer Road
Churchfield Primary School

Little Bury Street
Edmonton County School. This is the ‘Lower school’ of Edmonton County School, housed in the buildings of Rowantree Secondary Modern School
Beehive. Pub rebuilt in 1936 on a slightly different site.

Raglan Road
Raglan Road School. Interwar Primary School. Opened in 1928. The expanding suburbs of the 1930s meant that Middlesex County Council had to provide a stream of schools.  The Raglan Schools was the first to be founded by Edmonton’s education committee. In 1944 the senior department became a mixed secondary modern and in 1960 this moved to Rowantree School and Raglan reverted to being a primary. The Infants School was built in 1934.
North of here were the kilns of a brick works, separated from the railway by open land and a cricket ground

Sources
Pevsner & Cherry North London
History of Middlesex, Middlesex CC
Stevenson. Middlesex
Edmonton School web site
Raglan Road School web site
Friends of Bury Lodge Park web site

No comments: