Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Salmons Brook - Grange Park

Salmons Brook
Salmons Brook continues to flow south eastwards. It is joined by Hounsden Gutter from the south west.

Post to the north Windmill Hill
Post to the east Bush Hill

Cheyne Walk
Cheyne Walk Open Space. Area of grass & woodland, with steep unmade path through woods with a bridge over Salmons Brook.

Grange Park
A development alongside Salmon’s Brook and described as an ‘orchard city’.  It was named from Old Park Grange. `The area was developed in the early 20th by Richard Metherell who had already undertaken other schemes nearby.  He assembled land in a series of deals and negotiated with the railway to open Grange Park Station. Much of the land had been used for orchards and many fruit trees remained. Development was interrupted by the Great War and did not resume again until the 1930s with a different developer.

Green Dragon Lane
The Old Park was north of the lane
Filcap Gate to Old Park  was sited just north of the railway bridge

Landra Gardens
Site of Filcap Farm

Old Park Ridings
Grange Park Methodist Church. Built in 1938 this is a striking art deco building with a cuboid tower which dominates the area.. There is a stone carving of the tree of life by C.H Briehtiff. 
Halls  1970

Railway line
The original railway 1870s line to a terminus in Enfield became disused and is now covered by Gladbeck Way. The point at which the diverged is now covered by a footpath at the southern end of the road.

Salmons Brook
Diverted into a straight line during the construction of Grange Park

The Chine
Grange Park Preparatory School. Posh school.
Bridge crossing Salmon’s Brook built in an ornate fashion by the developer in the early 20th.

The Grangeway
Shops built here in the early 20th by the developer.

Vera Avenue
Grange Park Station. Opened in 1906 it now lies Between Enfield Chase and Winchmore Hill stations on Great Northern Railway. It was built by Great Northern Railway when it was decided that the line was continuer on past Enfield. It was built on a wind swept embankment ‘with views of cuckoo haunted woods’. It had a single storey ticket office and still gas lit in the 1960s. The platform buildings were timber to reduce weight on the embankment – which was made up of rubble and rubbish and there were sometimes underground fires.  These buildings survived electrification, but have since been replaced by modern waiting shelters. The 1910 street level building down to Vera Avenue remains much as it was built.
Sidings for storing trains running parallel to the line
Signal box which also controlled trains in and out of Enfield Goods Yard which used the old terminus line.
St.Peter. designed  in 1939  by Cyril Farey, the foundation stone was laid in 1940 and  it was built during the Second Wrold War to some criticism. It is in brick, with a low tower. No new timber was used to build it and timbers came from churches in Bow, Islington, Edgeware Road and Bethnal Green. The pews and pulpit came from St. Etheldrea's, Fulham Palace Road. The choir stalls came from St. Stephen's, Poplar, the font from St. Catherine's, Hammersmith, and the bell, dated 1785, came from St. John's, Drury Lane. The original alter rails came from St. Catherine Coleman in the City of London in 1923, when the church was demolished although they have now been returned.  However as a result of all this the church suffers from damp..

Worlds End

Old Grammarians Rugby Football Club. The club was formed in  1929 by ex-pupils of Tottenham Grammar School who did not want to join other local clubs. It is now an open membership club since the school no longer exists.  In 1931 they had moved to a ground in Ladysmith Road, Enfield, later moving to White Hart Lane. They moved to the present site in 1996.

Sources
David Pam. History of Enfield. 3 vols.
Douglas Haigh Old Park
Graham Dalling Enfield Book
Mitchell and Smith Hertford Loop
London Railway Record Articles
Old Grammarians web site
London Borough of Enfield Cheyne Walk Open Space web site
London Encyclopaedia
Field, Place Names of Greater London
Headley and & Wim Meulenkamp, Follies, Grottoes and Garden Buildings.
Edmonton Hundred Historical Society. Occasional papers
Middlesex Parish Churches
Essex-Lopresti, Exploring the New River

Thames Basin Archaeology Group, A Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London

Cherry and Pevsner, London 4 North.

No comments: