Monday, 5 March 2012

Salmons Brook - South Lodge

Salmons Brook
Salmons Brook flows south and is met by Merryhills Brook from the west

Post to the west Oakwood
Post to the north Hog Hill
Post to the east Windmill Hill

Bincote Road
This was built in the 1930s as part of a proposed, but never finished, Enfield by pass

Enfield Road
South Lodge Farm
Enfield Road Library, opened 1964
Merryhills Primary School. Built in 1939 but not quite finished at the outbreak of war. Eventually permission was given to finish it.
Scout Hut – this is an army hut bought from the adjacent gun site by the 19th St Mary’s Scout Group for a few hundred pounds after the Second World War. Eventually, thanks to the local MP, it was re-erected in the lane behind the houses in Enfield Road. 

Lonsdale Drive
Boxers Lake. This was one of the lakes preserved from the grounds of South Lodge developed in the 1930s by John Laing.

Trentwood side   
This was built in the 1930s as part of a proposed, but never finished, Enfield by pass. Houses are positioned at the junction to allow for a big, never built, roundabout.

World’s End Lane
This went to World’s End Farm. The area was also called Postern Plain.
Grange Park Primary School.  Opened by Middlesex County Council in 1951.
Highlands School. This secondary school dates from 2000 and was the first PFI school in the country

Sources
David Pam. Enfield Chase
Enfield Society web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North

No comments: