Thursday, 8 March 2012

Salmons Brook - Winchmore Hill

Salmons Brook
Salmons Brook flows south eastwards


Post to the north Bush Hill
Post to the east Bury Street


Beaulieu Gardens
New River’s winding course can be seen
The road is named after an 18th big house, Beaulieu, in grounds which included an 18th ruin and grotto. It also included a botanical collection. At the end of the road a cedar tree remains. The house was demolished in 1937.

Blenheim Close
New River’s winding course can be seen from the end

Firs Lane
Named for a big house, The Firs
New River bridge
Telephone Exchange

Fords Grove
Its previous name was Mortiboy's Lane after a local farmer
Winchmore Hill Cricket Club. The Club's original landlord, Thomas Teshmaker Busk, allowing the club to use their private park in 1881 and when he died it was formally leased.  In the early 1870s the Paulin family, of Pauline and Mann brewers, lived at Beaulieu and elsewhere locally. When land was auctioned for development in the 1920s they purchased it for the club. Thus it is called the Paulin Ground.

Highfield Road
Highfield Primary Schools. Opened in 1914

Ridge Avenue
Continuation of Green Lanes, Drove road into London
Hazelwood Lawn Tennis and Squash Club. The Club was founded in 1909 by Travers S. Barson on land attached to Hazelwood House, Palmers Green. In the Great War the land became
allotments. The Club restarted in 1919 with 15 grass
courts in Firs Lane. Then in 1925 they bought the current site with 16 courts, a pavilion and a putting green but some land was taken by Edmonton Council for pre-fabs.  After the Second World War more facilities were opened despite damage in the 1987 storm.
Ridge Avenue Library.  Built 1959-63 by Brian van Breda of Edmonton Borough Architect's Department,
Clinic behind the library built to march it.
New River.  The embankment from Bush hill extends as far as here
Crane on the bank of the New River a crane used by Thames Water for lifting maintenance boats into and out of the water. They are mainly for weed-cutting
Telephone Exchange

Ridge Road

Once known as Jews Corner Lane. The surrounding area is the Rowantree Estate
Village Road
Bush Hill Gardens. Garden laid out on land purchased by Enfield UDC in 1925. This area was part of Old Park Estate. The garden was laid out in 1928. There is a rock garden with pond and bridge and many interesting trees,

Sources
Essex Lopresti, Exploring the New River,
History of Middlesex
Edmondon Hundred Historical Society , Paper on drove roads.
Field. Place names of London.
Winchmore Hill Cricket Club web site
Hazelwood Lawn  Tennis and Squash Club web site
London Borough of  Enfield. Bush Hill Gardens web site

No comments: