Tributaries to the Moselle flow north and
Stonebridge Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards
TQ 30413 88535
Post to the west Crouch End
Post to the north Hornsey
Post to the east Haringey
Post to the south Crouch Hill
The Stonebridge Brook flowed north to here and then turned east
A water source in this road augmented the Stonebridge Brook which turned north to Aubrey Road.
Stonebridge Brook probably rises to the rear of the Town Hall. This is at a low point in the area and it is known that a lake and a lake villa once stood here.
of Crouch Hall. This was a house built around 1820 which stood in the area where the
clock tower stands at the crossroads today – but on the west side of the road. In
1847 it was the home of an iron master, William Bird. It was demolished in 1888.
Site of Topsfield Hall. This Georgian
mansion was the home of the Lord of the Manor of Topsfield. It was a late 18th house built to replace
the earlier hall. It faced the Broadway in the triangle of Middle and
Tottenham Lanes. Sold to developers, Edmondsons, and demolished in 1895. ‘Topsfield’
is the old name of the manor from the
family of Thomas de Toppesfeld in1343 who came from Toppesfield in Essex.
End or Hornsey Academy was opened by John Yeo in 1686. Crouch End school was
said to be nearly 200 years old in 1872 but the site was sold to the Imperial Property
Investment Co. in 1882. The original school building stood on the corner of
Park Road and was described as in the Elizabethan style in 1844. This
three-storeyed, weather boarded house was demolished in 1882
Abbey National. Site of an early Sainsburys with tiled interior which Closed in 1970s
6 Dunn’s – baker's shop displaying with the date ‘1850’ plus a
wheatsheaf decoration. ‘WM’ stands for ‘William Muddyman’ who ran the bakery
and post office in 1845. It is the oldest
building on the Broadway in plain brick.
Bank Buildings. Built by the London and South Western Bank in
1887. Now a branch of Kentucky Fried
Passageway beside Bank Buildings leads to a converted stables.
Town Hall. This replaced older local authority offices in
Southwood Lane, Highgate. It was built on a site which had previously been that
of the non-conformist Broadway Chapel, two cottages, an alley and Lake Villa, plus
a pond filled in in 1827. The Town Hall was
built in 1935 for middle class, Middlesex, Hornsey by the young New Zealand
architect, R.H Uren, who had won the
competition. It was opened by the Duke of
Kent and as the first English town hall
in the tradition of Dudok's Hilversum was highly
regarded and influential. It is in red
brick free from ornament with a clock tower and a large assembly hall. The
entrance to the offices, below the tower had ironwork, and stone carving of
arms of the Borough of Hornsey by A.J. Ayres.
It is placed well back from the road
creating a forecourt. Uren won the RIBA bronze medal for London in 1935 and was
one of the first 1930s buildings to be listed.
Clock Tower. This dates from 1895
and was a testimonial to Henry Reader Williams chairman of Hornsey Local Board
and designed By F. G. Knight. It has a bronze portrait
relief by William’s friend, Alfred Gilbert.
Barclays Bank in what was the Hornsey Gas Company Showrooms. This
was also designed by Uren as part of an ensemble. It has panels about the gas industry by A.J.
Electricity Office. Also by Uren adapted from the 1938 telephone
exchange. A carved brick panel by Ayres to represents the spirit of electricity.
Wilson’s Department Store. Demolished for shopping terrace which included
Budgen and Woolworths
Bank on the corner of
Crouch End Hill dates from the 1940s. This
is on the site of a smithy demolished by Messrs. Hill in the 1890s.
35 timber box extension to the house with a glass link to it.
Street built in the 1880s-90s; by John
Farrer for the Weston family. Named for Cecile House.
‘Chestnuts’ in Middle Lane, later replaced by Chestnut Court. The western end
of the road would have been skirted by Priory Brook as it met Cholmondley Brook
Site of Oakfield House.
In a place name ‘End’ means an outlying area
and ‘crouch’ means a cross. So this could have referred to something like a boundary
post or a wayside cross. The name is first found in the mid 15th. However a Stephett atte Cruche lived
here in the 14th. The hamlet itself, on the Tudor route out of
London to the north, lies in a hollow
between two ridges and is sometimes known locally as Hornsey Vale. A ridge runs
across the district once known as the Hogs Back. An enclosure award in 1813 was
followed later by the railway which allowed for development from a group of cottages
and interspersed big houses into a suburban centre.
Crouch End Hill
Road on the Tudor route to the north. Trees in the area
were preserved in the 1940s through the efforts of Cllr.F.E.Cleary.
2 King’s Head. The pub dates from 1892 and replaced an earlier
building. There is a cast
iron street name plaque at first floor level.
23 Railway Tavern. This is a 1930s half-timbered pub. Not particularly
near a railway.
35-37 Hogshead, closed
Exchange House. This
was built for the Telephone Exchange in 1953 by
F. W. Holder. The stepped side was for a never built relief
road. It was converted to flats in 2002.
104 Kestrel School. Private school for
autism. This building was previously the
Theatre School- A posh house built for George Shadbolt in 1871.
113 Red Gables. Probably by the local builder W.J. Collins. This could
have been built as a show house for the estate. Used as a local
authority family centre but now sold.
Alleyway by 118 part of an
old relic as a separate strip of land
Park Chapel. Congregational chapel first built here in 1854. It was very successful in the 19th under the
Rev John Corbin and Alfred Rowland. It seated 1,480 and had a Willis Organ. In
1978 the congregation united with Baptists and the building became redundant. Corbin
Memorial Hall was added in 1893. It replaced a defunct schoolroom and there is
a foundation stone laid by Rev. Rowland. This is a large complex of buildings
one element of which is now Mount Zion Cathedral
Weston Park Primary School
1 ground floor remodelled to open up a courtyard in the centre of the
This was developed by John Farrar in 1889 at
the same time as Weston Park, on part of the Elder Estate. It was named after
Henry Weston Elder, a City bristle merchant.
He died in 1882 and the estate was sold in 1892 when his widow
Topsfield Parade wall which has a terracotta plaque and stone balls. Passage
way leading to a converted stable block.
Corner shop with a date stone
Earl Haig Memorial. Royal British Legion
Hall. Now closed
St.Peter in Chains Roman Catholic Infant
Bakery at the northern end 1950s
Ferme Park Road
Land to the west of this was developed by
the Elder family in the 1890s. The road and estate were built by the Streatham
and Imperial Estate Co. On the site of fields
of Haringey Manor.
Ferme Park Yard
Only the extreme north west corner of the
rail yard is on this square.
Tottenham Lane Electricity Workshops
Warehouses alongside sidings
Botswana Meat Commission Ecco Cold Store. BMC was
established in 1965 to promote Botswana’s livestock industry. Its headquarters
is in Lobatse.
Granville Road Spinney. This was farmland until the
1870s after which it was housing. In 1944 it took a VI and seven houses were destroyed.
These were replaced by prefabs but since 1980 it had been open land. There is a
meadow and central woodland plus a small boggy area
The Stonebridge Brook flowed eastwards parallel and north of this road.
This was the first suburban street in Crouch
End, laid out in 1845.
greenhouse roofed building used by the antiques trade
Hornsey Library. This was built in 1965 to replace a library of 1899
in Tottenham Lane. Designed by F.Ley & G.Jarvis, with a gallery, foyer and courtyard. There is
a large staircase window with engraved map of Hornsey by F.J. Mitchell. There is also pool with bronze sculpture by
T.E. Huxley-Jones. New Gallery was the children’s library with a separate
Mansions – large red brick blocks
building works here in the 1950s
Rokesley Infant School and Nursery
Hornsey School for Girls
The Grove – housing for the elderly for Haringey built in 1970 in
brick by HKPA.
St Luke. Built in 1902-3 by J.E.K. and J.P. Cutts in red brick and
to housing in the 1970s. This had begun
as iron mission built by the London Diocesan Mission.
Company School moved here from Fleet Street in 1895. It started as the Stationers'
Company's Foundation School In 1861 near Fleet Street. In 1891 it moved to Hornsey, as a Grammar
school. The girls' school was Hornsey High School. It became a
comprehensive boys' school in 1967, closing in 1983and has subsequently had a variety
of different uses.
Close. On the site of the stationer’s School
Park. Built on the site of the Stationers Park School and opened in 1987. Green
flag and many facilities,
An old route going between Crouch End and
Turnpike Lane. The triangle between this and New Road and Park Road have
two-storey houses and cottages which was a development of 1850-4 by Joshua
Alexander and William Bradshaw.
9-35, semi-detached houses 1850
Crouch End Health Centre. Built in 1984 by Haringey Architects’ Department.
Clemence Court. Flats built for Hornsey Borough Council in 1957.
Margaret Hill House. Flats built in 1993 for Hornsey Housing Trust – with a
corner turret of brick banded in stone, by
Marden & Knight.
Chestnut Court on the site of
Chestnuts – local ‘big’ house
Lane Methodist Church
Park. This was built in two stages. The part along Middle Lane is the earliest
and was developed by Hornsey Local Board, led by Henry Reader Williams, in the
1890s. It was called 'Pleasure Grounds'.
drinking fountain in the park. It says 'The gift of C. T. P. Metcalfe 1879'. He provided this to replace the pump in The
Broadway and it was later moved here.
built in the 1980s
Middle Lane Mews
The mews provided access to the back of the
Globe works – bakery converted to housing
“Western Laundries” painted wall sign
Built on the site of a house called
Abyssinia which faced onto Tottenham Lane.
Mount View Road
Hornsey Reservoir Cottage.
15 prize-winning front garden
2 restaurant in comer building which was once a post office and before
that a corn chandler, Forbes Boden
21 Banners Wine Bar. With decorative mural down the side
48 tiny corner shop with the 1877 school foundation stone.
Developed by J.C.Hill in the grounds of a
house with that name.
Rokesley Junior School. The school was first
built by Middlesex County Council 1932
Albert buildings and Albert works
was sold with the Topsfield Estate in 1894,
Topsfield Parade, 1895. The parade was
built on the estate of Henry Weston Elder replacing Topsfield Hall, developed
by Edmondsons developers of Muswell Hill. They built the shops which are identical to those
in Muswell Hill
31 Topsfield Parade, Fitness Centre. This was the entrance to the Queens
Opera House – also called the Hippodrome. The hall was in a triangular space to
the rear and was originally intended as a public hall. In 1897 it opened as a theatre by H.H.Morell
and F.Mouilett to seat 1,200. The original architect was a Mr. Woolnow.
It was lager redesigned by theatre architect Frank Matcham In 1903 it became a music hall and from 1910 included
a cinema. In 1928 it was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres
chain who added sound in 1929. In 1942, was closed permanently following a
fire. In 1948 part of it became a dancing school and in 1958, Grattan’s mail
order company used their London distribution point. When they left much of the
remains was demolished but the façade was restored and is now in use.
been there since 1929
Hope and Anchor
Music Palace pub. This was built as the Salvation Army Citadel
Queen's Hotel. A grand pub built 1900. It has a turret and floral Art
Nouveau glass by Robert Cakebread plus fancy ironwork. Inside are with original
mahogany fittings dividing up the separate bars. Built by J.C.Hill the developer of this and Broadway
Parade. The circular entrance has a mosaic
floor bearing the monogram of Mr Hill and Q for Queen’s.
Holy Innocents. An Arthur Blomfield church, of 1877 in brick and has
a tower close to the road. Inside is a stained glass window commemorating Peter
Robinson of the department store. The Reiger-Kloss Krnov organ coming from Czechoslovakia was brought here from the
Humbervale Church in Toronto where it had been since 1964 owned by Mrs. Dagmar
Kopecki for her studio
Hornsey Police Station. Built 1915 by J. D. Butler
The Old Schoolhouse. Hornsey Historical Society.
Early Victorian infant school closed 1930 and re-opened for the society
in 1981. John Henry Taylor 1884.
Cinema. The Cinema Theatre was listed as operating from at least 1912. In around
1925, it was re-named Perfect Picture House and had a seating capacity of 600.
In 1929, it was re-furbished and Western Electric sound equipment was
installed. It was re-named Plaza Cinema. It was independently operated throughout
its life and was closed in September 1939 at the outbreak of World War II. The
Plaza Cinema never re-opened. Flats opposite end of Inderwick Road
on the site of Century House. In the
1940s L.A.Britton pickle factory
Mary’s church of England Primary School, rebuilding had been paid for by the
grocer David Greig, a former pupil. Demolished 1971,
Stonebridge Brook flows eastwards and parallel behind the houses on the north side and continues under the railway lines.
Developed with houses by architect John
Farrar as part of the Topsfield Estate.
Named after Henry Weston Elder a City bristle merchant. He died in 1882 and the estate was sold in
1892 when his widow died.
13 plaque to actress Lilian Harvey. 1906-68.
House. This was the home of Peter Robinson of the
St Peter-In-Chains, Roman Catholic church by A. J. G. Scales, 1896
British History Hornsey web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. Place Names of London
Kestrel School web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Walford. Highgate to the Lea
Wikipedia website on Stationer’s School