Monday, 9 April 2012

Pymmes Brook - Tanners End

Pymmes Brook
Pymmes Brook continues to flow eastward

Post to the west Weir Hall
Post to the east Edmonton
Post to the south Tottenham

Bridport Road
Previously called Union Road, the entrances to both the Edmonton workhouse and the workhouse infirmary were here.
186 Dunlop Clothing and Weatherproofs Ltd industrial building. 1932 On the corner of Bull Lane. Now the Fred Perry Building, and let into units.
Aberdale Cycle Co Ltd. Made the Gresham flyer tricycles in 1950s. Also tourist and lightweight cycles, many sold overseas. The Company was founded in 1919, with Joseph Levy joining his father in the business from the age of 14.  In 1934 a new site was built at Bridport Road, as "a modern plant, mass producing cheap bicycles for the economy market".  They sold up and closed in the late 1950s but the family started the Trusty Works at Angel Road.
Romeo House, In the 1930s this was an electrical works. Now Romeo Trading, dealing with clothing since 1941.
Shrager brothers reclining chairs
The Acton Brick Co.
Plowman's Brick Co

Bull Lane
4 Dominion Tiles
4 Burgess Sauce Manufacturer and latterly Rayner Burgess. The company was established by John Burgess, a farmer in the late 18th. They were known for their essence of anchovies. In 1904 they moved from The Strand and in 1960 came to Edmonton where they made a large range of flavourings and essences. Company dissolved 2007.
Edmonton Casual Ward – accommodation for vagrants.

Grove Street
St.John and St.James Church of England Primary School. Built 1962.

Lopen Road
Lopen works – small workshop area
New housing on site of nursery.

Pymmes Park
William Pymme built a mansion in Silver Street in the 14th  And the park is named after him This was bought by William Cecil, Lord Burleigh in 1582 and the estate, remained in the Cecil family until 1801. It was then owned by the Ray family from whom the local authority bought it in 1899. The south section was laid our as a Park which opened in 1906.
Pymmes House was a brick and timber-framed mansion later encased in brick.  It was burnt down in 1940 and a plaque above the public entrance to the walled garden commemorates this. A single storey old people's club was built on the site.
Opened as a public park in 1898. The lay out is the usual 19th municipal type. There is a smelly lake with an island, a walled garden with old walls and a mid-c19 wall fountain with dolphin decoration. There was a Bandstand and a theatre space. An adventure playground was opened in 1997. There is a wooden sculpture on the lawn between Silver Street and the walled garden made from a felled cedar tree and which commemorates the park’s centenary

Silver Street
At one time called Watery Lane, and also Wyerhall Lane
Two Brewers this pub stood on the south side of road east of The Bull. The site is now flats.
The Bull. Built around 1904. The previous Bull Pub stood adjacent to the east of the current building and was demolished. An earlier building here was called The Black Bull
St.Aldhelm. Built in 1903 By W.D. Caroe in brick. Inside the pulpit is from St Mary Spital Square. Stained glass by Walter Starmer as a Second World War Memorial. St.Aldhelm was a 7th bishop from the west country - but the name is associated with the name of Edmonton.
Bridport Hall. House which was used as a boarding-school before 1840.  Demolished in the Second World War
Silver Street Station. Opened in 1872   this lies between Edmonton Green and White Hart Lane Stations. It was built by the Great Eastern Railway on their new suburban line. It had saw-toothed platform canopies and cast-iron work. These Great Eastern buildings were demolished and replaced in 1979 and then burnt down in 1984. It was rebuilt again in 1985 although some Great Eastern Railway canopies remain but two wooden covered staircases leading to the platforms were replaced by open air concrete stairs. A tunnel section of the North Circular Road was built beneath the station during the 1990s with no disruption to service and a new ticket office was built on the east side of the station.
Strand Union Workhouse. In 1868-the Strand Union – made up of parishes around the Strand in central London - decided that they would build a new workhouse at Edmonton slightly to the west of their school.  Closed 1913
Klinger Manufacturing Co., were a stocking-making firm from Tottenham, which took over the Poplar Union Workhouse buildings in 1926. The site was sold in 1967 to the G.L.C        
The Edmonton Poor Law Union was set up in 1837 made up of several parishes around the area. Able-bodied paupers were housed at the Edmonton Workhouse and a new building was erected in 1842 alongside Bull Lane on Langhedge Field.  The buildings were demolished in 1987 and the land used as a car park.

Statham Grove,
Tanners End Free Church. The building is said to date from 1886 and it is noted as a mission hall for undesignated Christians in 1913. It was Known as Tanners End mission in 1937, and Tanners End Free church in 1948.
Hall. Built 1911 by F. Bethel.

Sterling Way
North Middlesex Hospital. This was built on rhea basis of the Edmonton Workhouse infirmary opened in 1910 and separated from the workhouse by an iron fence. In 1915 it became Edmonton Military Hospital and in 1920, once more civilian as the North Middlesex Hospital. Managed by Middlesex County Council. The workhouse closed in 1938 and the building was used by the hospital. It was bombed in the Second World War and in 1955 the casualty department opened on the bomb site. In the 1980s more buildings were added following loss of land to the North Circular and the gaining of the Watermill Lane site.  Various departments were built on the Watermill Lane site but at the same time some of it was sold in order to fund more buildings. In 2010 another new extension was added and improvements are ongoing under a PFI contract – and the adding of “University’ to the hospital’s name.
Nurses Homes - demolished

Tanners End
The area was essentially an outlying hamlet from Edmonton proper.  It may or may not have been associated with a tannery.

Victoria Road
56 Pymmes Park Inn. demolished

Wilbury Way
Weir Hall School. This had been the Aylward School founded in 1927 and moved here as a comprehensive in 1967. The name changed in 2006 to Aylward School; when it moved to Windmill Road.  The site is now hospital buildings and new housing.

Windmill Road
Vicarage by Caroe, 1907;
Group of church halls 1883 – 1907/9

Sources

Graces Guide web site
Out of the Blue web site
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
Stevenson Middlesex
Middlesex Churches
History of Middlesex web site
Middlesex History
Yateley local history web site
London Borough of Enfield web page
London Railway Record
Wikipedia Silver Street Station
Aylward School web site
North Middlesex Hospital history web site
Lost Hospitals web site

1 comment:

martinwinlow said...

A connection is missing from this list to the beginnings of the MatchBox toy company whose founders, Leslie and Rodney Smith, started their joint enterprise in the ruins of the Rifleman pub in Union Road, Edmonton in 1947. See http://www.matchboxmemories.com/Lesney%20History/lesney_history.htm for more information.

I'm a little surprised the site of the Rifleman (wherever that may be) has no 'blue plaque' given the worldwide cultural significance of the Matchbox brand. MW