The Moselle flows north east and then south east
Post to the east - Tower Gardens
Post to the north Wood Green
Post to the west Alexandra Palace Station Wood Green
St.Mark. Centrepiece of the Noel Park Estate. Built in 1889 by Rowland Plumbs and funded by the Shropshire Mission. The site was bought by Richard Foster, who funded so many churches like this in east London. A large red brick building
Church Hall. Built 1884, with a turret.
Vicarage. 1903 by Alder.
Eritrean Bethel Church
This road has now disappeared under the Shopping City but until the 1970s the Moselle was an open stream on the north side.
Named after Charles Darwin, who was a shareholder in the Artisans and Labourers housing group.
Eldon Road Strict Baptist church. This was the creation people who had left another local church in 1909. And who in 1911 opened an iron church here, with aid from the sale of a church in Kentish Town, they built a new church and school which opened in 1936 and extended in 1955.
It is thought that the Old Course of the New River coming from White Hart Lane may have followed the line now made up of the curved backs of the houses here
Named after Sir Richard Farrant, Deputy Chairman of the Artisans and Labourers housing group from 1881-1906, MD 1883-1906
The main thoroughfare of the Artisans and Labourers estate. Named to honour the then Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone.
Noel Park board school opened in 1889. This is now Noel Park Primary. A plain three-decker
Shropshire Mission Hall. Wood Green Children’s Centre
Cattle trough opposite 7 Plain-ended grey granite trough with inscription METROPOLITAN DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND CATTLE TROUGH ASSOCIATION
A building in the road has been claimed as the original Great Eastern Railway Goods Office buildings, from the now removed Wood Green and Noel Park Station. It is now thought it was a butcher’s store.
Continuation of Green Lanes and this section was also known as that until the 20th when it was, renamed. It is part of the drove road into London which joins up a series of greens. The junction with Lordship Lane was the site of the original village. This area was previously also known as Jolly Butchers Hill
Alderman’s Bridge. This was the bridge by which the road crossed the Moselle River, roughly on the site of the pedestrian footbridge. The river is now culverted.
Railway Bridge. The old Great Eastern Railway bridge crossed the road roughly at the site of the pedestrian footbridge.
Alleyway between the Argos Store and the old railway site – this is the line of the Moselle River it then turns to the north east. The Argos Superstore corresponds exactly to the station site
Spouters Corner. This was as small green known for a site where free speech, or "spouting" like Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park could be done. This dated from meetings of the Reform League in the 1860s/ Open air meetings were held until the 1950s and it was also a place for hiring workers. Shelter and Toilets 1956. It is now called Hollywood Green. Currently a bus stand and shelter at Spouters’ Corner. This was once the site of a smithy and pond.
Hollywood Green. This was also once known as Spouters Corner and in 1998 was also the site of the Cinematograph Theatre/Market Cinema, which had fronted in Lordship Lane and had been taken over by Australian entertainment group Hoyts for development.
Vue Cinema on the site of the Cinematograph which had also been a furniture store. The new cinema was planned as an Australian owned Hoyts cinema in 1998, but they pulled out and it was opened as a Showcase Cinema in 2001. In 2009 it reopened as The Vue.
Wetherspoons. The pub is now called Spouters Corner, opened 2000 and opposite the corner itself. Inside are murals and a sculpture from a local artist.
Goose and Granite. Was the Nag’s Head Pub which had been on the site since 1860
Gaumont Palace Cinema. Opened in 1934 the cinema was designed by William Edward Trent and Ernest F. Tulley. It had a Compton 3 Manual / 12 Rank organ and an Art Deco auditorium, as well as a restaurant and café. It had a stage, with a fly tower and grid above with a stage curtain controllers and safety curtain which still exists but is now locked into position. There were eight dressing rooms. It was bombed in the Second World War. In 1954 the name was changed Gaumont Theatre and in 1962 renamed Odeon. The restaurant became a dance studio and in 1966 the organ was rehoused in the Twickenham College of Technology and later went to Gosport, Cheshire. In 1973 the Cinema, was tripled with screens in the old circle, and the old front stalls with smaller screens were fitted in the rear stalls. In 1984 all screens closed and it was converted for Bingo which closed in 1996. In 1999 it was converted into a church and night club,
Library. Designed by B.Dinnage and opened by the Bishop of Edmonton in 1979 and replacing the earlier library to the north. It was seen as part of the Shopping City complex.
Noel Park and Wood Green Station. Opened in 1878 this Great Eastern Railway station between Seven Sisters and Palace Gates stations was originally called ‘Green Lanes’. It had a small forecourt on the High Road, the site of which is now under shops. It had two wooden platforms on the embankment and a brick booking office. At first when the line opened, it was used as a temporary terminus and in 1884 it was renamed ‘Green Lanes and Noel Park’. In 1902 it was renamed again, ‘Noel Park and Wood Green’. By the mid-1930s it was rebuilt still in wood although street buildings were rendered. On both sides if the line the timber clad stairways were outside the building and thus always smelt damp. Closed in 1963.
Siding. There was a long reversing siding, set within a 12ft diameter tube. This had a facing connection from the northbound track and a connection with the southbound.
Sidings laid into the building site for the Artisans and Labourers Estate in 1883
Goods yard at the country end of the station. Closed 1964.
Signal box at the country end of the station which adjoined the up line. Closed in 1936 and demolished.
Wood Green Shopping City. In 1969 this complex was built on the site of Wood Green and Noel Park station and its Goods Yard. It was designed by Richard, Shepherd and Robson, and was intended as a focus for the three merged boroughs and as a regional shopping centre with flats and a ‘village’ or ‘sky city ‘above it. The Queen opened it in 1981. The High Road runs directly through it allowing many of the shops to also front onto the street. There are bridges across the street. However the housing proved unpopular and it never achieved regional retail significance and in the 1990s established shops left. It was renamed "The Mall Wood Green" in 2002, there was some rebuilding plus a new cinema. The Moselle passes under the complex in a culvert.
Wood Green Underground station. Opened in 1932 it lies between Bounds Green and Turnpike Lane on the Piccadilly Line. It was built on the site of a line of Victorian shops, themselves on the site of an old pond. This station by Holden has been cited as his least successful and it was still unfinished when the station opened. It is on a corner so the frontage is curved with ventilation towers at the ends. These allow for 20,000 cubic feet of air per minute to be pumped down to the platforms. The booking hall had space for exhibitions. There were three escalators to the platforms; it is tiled in standard biscuit colour with poster sites outlined in alternating biscuit and green. Metal grilles concealing the ventilation ducts have rural scenes. They were by Harold Stabler and are still there.
Moselle River – from the High Road the Moselle flows to the south side of the road. This was also the northern boundary of Ducketts Farm, and later the Noel Park Estate. Until the late 1920s this section remained open at the bottom of gardens. It is now in a culvert on the north side of the road.
Cinematograph Theatre. Opened in 1911 on the corner of Redvers Road. It had an indoor market hall on the ground floor once used as a depository and dance hall with iron columns inside. The cinema was on the first floor and it was re-named Market Cinema. It closed in 1919 when it was used as a furniture store and warehouse. By the 1960’s, it was a bingo club, and dance studio. This is now the site of the Vue Cinema on the High Road.
Congregational Chapel opened site in 1864 built by Lander and Bedell. Foundation stone at ground level. It was the first non-conformist chapel in the area but in 1964 it merged with the Haringay chapel. It became the Haringey Arts Centre in 1965, then a furniture store went into commercial use. It was demolished in 2005. It included a Sunday School Hall of 1887
Mecca Bingo: this was the site of the old 1920s City Bus company depot. The depot featured chocolate and cream Leyland Gnus and tigers which ran a service to Southend via Romford Market, Billericay, Wickford, and Southend. They had been a pirate bus company but later became part of Westcliff-on-Sea Motor Services who were then taken over by Eastern National. They ran Green double-decker Bristol Lodekkas and low-bridge Leyland Titan double-deckers. After nationalisation in 1947, the depot became the starting point of the Eastern National routes to Southend. The building was used for scenes in the TV series “On the Buses”. The coach station closed in the 1970s and became a carpet warehouse. As services ceased the building became a W.H.Smith 'Do-it-all' centre. In the 1990s it became a Bingo Hall
Crown Court. The building dates from 1865. The original 19th brick and stone façade and the chapel were retained when the property was redeveloped in 1990. In 1857 the Royal Masonic School for Boys, for the 70 boys who were the sons of dead or poor Freemasons, was set up in a house called Lordship Lodge. This was replaced in 1865 by a new and larger Gothic building by Edwin Pearce and Stephen Barton Wilson. In the 1890s the school moved and the site was sold to the Home and Colonial School Society, which used it as a Training College for Schoolmistresses from 1904. In 1930 the site was sold to the Tottenham District Gas Company, and renamed Woodall House after its chairman, Corbett Woodall and remained to become the offices of Eastern Gas. In 1974 when it was bought by Haringey Council, modernised and became the Wood Green Crown Court and Remand Centre plus housing on the rest of the site. A fire in 1989 led to some rebuilding including ten courtrooms.
Gatehouse to Lordship Lodge. Now Wood Green Driving Test Centre
646 Freemasons Pub. Closed and demolished. Clearly named after the school which it stood next to
451 Welcome Inn. Shop converted into a pub.
606 The Lordship, at one time this was called The Rat and Carrot. It was originally His Lordship’s Tavern opened 1875.
601 Wood Green Animal Shelter. Opened as the Animal Shelter in 1924 when Louisa Snow opened the first centre here to help abandoned and injured animals on the streets of London. In 1933 Dr. Margaret Young changed its work to rescuing and re-homing unwanted animals. In 1987 the headquarters were moved to Godmanchester but the London house continues to be used
Chapmans Green. This little green was on the road between Wood Green and Tottenham has survived to become a small park, with a pavilion
This southern section of the Noel Park estate is different from the rest. The houses were designed by the Artisans and Labourers Company's Surveyor, G J Earle in 1905 and use Arts & Crafts motifs with low gables, white render, curved window hoods and white painted woodwork.
26 Wood Green Christian Centre – Salvation Army centre.
Railway Bridge – this bridge, now removed, lay slightly to the east of Bury Road. The line of the railway can be seen in empty sites and sites with temporary buildings
Noel Park Day Care Centre
The Moselle crosses the road between Hornsey Park Road and Brook Road.
Named after Samuel Morley, the Nottingham woollen manufacturer, Liberal politician and philanthropist of Morley College fame who refused a peerage in 1885.
Noel Park estate
This residential estate was laid out from 1883 and named after Ernest Noel MP, the chairman of the Artisans and General Dwellings Co., 1883-1900. It was a planned estate built 1881 - 1929, to house the families of workers in 2,000 low rise, cottage-style terraces laid out in wide, tree-lined streets. Its centre is formed St Mark's church, and Noel Park School. It was planned for them by Rowland Plumbe. Materials were bought in and stored in a siding rented from the Great Eastern Railway. Streets were named after members of the Committee. The houses were in five different classes but all had fireplaces and WCs. some were connected to gas and electricity and the first class dwellings had upstairs WCs. The terraces vary according class and each street has its own character. corner-houses with turrets were treated as 'pavilions' . The plan was a simple grid-iron plan. The area was bombed in World War II, and in 1966 the estate, was sold to the London Borough of Haringey.
Early road in the area built in the 1860s and since redeveloped. It is thought that the Old Course of the New River coming from White Hart Lane may have followed the line now made up of the curved backs of the houses here. It is now a microcosm of building styles.
2-8 22-24 original houses. Once had long gardens going to the New River
Merlin Court. example of 1930s private flats
75-79 Northolt villas original early houses
Greenwood House. 1950s municipal style
Edward VII pillar box
Russell Park, previously called Noel Parks
St Albans Crescent
Small green area
Housing built in the 1970s by Haringey Architects Department on the site of railway sidings
The Sandlings are roughly on the north side of the old goods yard. The goods yard was situated at a lower level to the line, on an embankment either side of what is now Noel Park Road and was near to Lymington Avenue.
Red brick parapet which was part of a bridge over the Moselle when it was an open stream.
Vincent Square gardens in the centre
White Hart Lane
Country lane into the 20th
Woodside Day Centre
SourcesCinema Theatre Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures web site
Connor. Forgotten Stations
Davies. Troughs and Drinking Fountains
Edmonton Hundred Historical Society. Occasional Papers 51
English Heritage. At risk register
Essex Lopresti. Exploring the New River
Field. London Place Names
London Railway Record
London Transport Tube Trails
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Bell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams.
Walford. Village London
Walford. Highgate to the Lea
Wood Green Animal Shelter web site
Wood Green history web site