The River Lea
Lea continues to flow south and is joined by the Stonebridge Brook and the Old
Moselle from the west.
Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway running from South Tottenham Station runs north eastwards
Post to the north Tottenham Hale
Post to the west South Tottenham
Post to the east Coppermills
Post to the south Springfield
Community Primary School
Craven Park Road
Grovelands. Built in 1970 and is an example of a switch to
low rise housing. Designed by Janina Chodakowska of Haringey Architect's
Primary School. Crowland Road School opened in 1911, and Crowland Secondary
Modern School in 1946. In 1972 juniors and infants continued remained on the
Community School. Founded in 1910, this was originally called Markfield School
Learning Centre – part of the Gladesmoor School site
Markfield Park. This was the grounds of Markfield House
bought by the local authority in 1925.
It was originally opened as
Markfield Recreation Ground King George's Field by the Mayor of Tottenham in
1938. It has since been upgraded with Café Pistachios, playgrounds, gardens and
other facilities. The Stonebridge Brook, which is in a culvert, and the old
Moselle both cross the park and discharge into the Lea.
Markfield House – the house and its grounds
stood roughly in the area covered by the schools. It was built in 1798 on what
had been farmland.
Station and Beam engine. This was part of the site of the Tottenham & Wood Green
Joint Drainage Board sewage works established here in 1885. The engine, engine house and some other structures
remain and now stand as part of Markfield Park. The concrete walls of the filter beds survive
along with the plain, stock brick engine house.
The engine itself is a Woolf compound rotative beam pumping engine by
Wood Brothers of Sowerby Bridge built in 1886. It is self-contained within a
decorated framework supported by eight fluted cast-iron columns. The beam is 21
feet long made of riveted wrought-iron plates and the flywheel is 27 feet in
diameter. The engine pumped 4
million gallons of sewage per day into the London County Council system at
Hackney flowing on to the Northern Outfall to Beckton but stopped work in
1964. It has been preserved and is managed
by local enthusiasts.
Building converted to a play centre by Neil Thomson Associates in
converted to a playground. Other buildings a play centres. These tanks were a model in their time.
Built in 1895 by the East
London Water Co. It is a site of special scientific interested and also is used
as a trout fishery.
Markfield Road. The name of the area was recorded as ‘Merkefeld’ in 1502,
which may mean 'field on a boundary', as it stands on the boundary of both the
parish and the Hundred. It has also been associated with a ‘mark stone’ on the
Spur connection to
Seven Sisters and South Tottenham line.
1880 line branch was to Palace Gates.
A low level reservoir
built by the East London Water Co. in 1863.
It has one island and takes 45,000,000 gallons.
Built in 1895 by the East
London Water Co.
Crowland School website
Friends of Markfield Park
Gladesmore School website
London’s Industrial Archaeology 1.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell.
Haringey’s Hidden Streams revealed.
Springfield School web