Friday, 6 July 2012

Phillibrook Stream - Leyton

Phillibrook Stream
The Phillibrook appears to flow through this area

Post to the north Leyton
Post to the west Leyton
Post to the east Leytonstone

Ashville Road
Mission Church - Fillebrook Baptist church started a mission in 1888 opening a hall in 1892 called the Ashville mission in two houses. An additional Hall was built across the road in1923. By the Second World War membership fell and the mission closed, and the halls closed.
139 Fountain of Life in Ashville New Halls which were sold by the original Baptist owners to the Brethren.
Masjid E Usman. Leytonstone Mosque and Islamic Centre in the original Baptist mission Hall.

Cathall Road
Leyton Municipal Borough Council Electricity Undertaking was opened here in 1896. They had connection arrangements with adjacent authorities, and a showroom in Church Lane. The station supplied power to run the local trams service which the local authority took over in 1905 and electrified immediately.  By 1920 however they were receiving a bulk supply from Walthamstow and the Cathall Road generating station closed in 1927.  However the demand for electricity supply in the area increased, showrooms were opened and transformer stations provided. The Cathall Road plant remained but in 1935 comprised transformers and rotary converters.  The system was taken over by the London Electricity Board in the 1950s and the site remained with their successor body. It has now been demolished and the site cleared.
Hornbeam and Redwood towers. These were on the corner of Hollydown Road. Blown up and demolished 2002

Dawlish Road
The name of the southern portion of the road, following the right angled bend, was once Sidmouth Road
Leyton Borough Electricity substation. No longer in use.
135 Noor U Islam primary school. The organisation purchased a building previously used as a clinic and set up a Muslim school in 2002.
Sidmouth Park

Francis Street
73 Christ Church. Built in 1902 by Sir Arthur Blomfield & Son in brick, Evangelical church of England.

Goodall Road
Goodall Road Board School. This was opened in 1895 with a Board School type building from 1900. In 1948 it became a mixed secondary modern school. It later became the Corpus Christi school, changing its name later to Cardinal Wiseman School. Demolished 1991 the site is now housing

Grove Green Road
180 Oasis of Love, the Goodman Memorial Hall or the Leytonstone Christian Centre which is part of London City Mission. An iron hall, called Bethsaida was built here in 1906. In 1912 the widow and family of Josiah Goodman built a larger all in his memory, designed by W. Hood.  In 1938 this was passed to the London City Mission
158 Christ Apostolic Church. This was built as a Methodist church with the help of Richard Mallinson in the late 1880s.
110 Northcote Arms. 1890s local
The Linear Park – covering areas demolished for the A12 link road.

Holloway Road
Holy Trinity and St Augustine, Built in 1973 by Gerard Goalen, replacing a church of 1878. It has a defensive, windowless exterior of brown brick with a bellcote. There is a concrete mural of the Trinity and other scenes. In the Chapel are for Victorian windows said to come from St Augustine Haggerston. It replaced the churches of St. Augustine and Holy Trinity which were demolished for regeneration in the early 1970s/

Hollydown Way
Area of Holloway Down. This area had been built up in the 1890s but with housing of a low standard which was replaced by council housing in 1960s.
Skills Centre for the Construction Industry – built in 2010 on the old power station site

Langthorne Road
This was Hollewell or Blind Lane which linked Holloway Down and Leyton High Road. It was later called Union Road and the name was changed again by request of the Great Eastern Railway Company.
New Testament Assembly, Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel. Church and Sunday school Built 1899 By P Morley Horder and it has been described as ‘outstandingly original and influenced by Mackintosh influenced church 1900. The roughcast covered building has a galleried chapel with a schoolroom below and the design of the interior is said to recall the original Fetter Lane Chapel of 1660. The church began as a mission of Grove church, Stratford and in 1894 the Fetter Lane church founded in 1660, moved to Leyton and their pastor took over the mission.  The Fetter Lane church was sold in 1897, and the current chapel built in 1900. A permanent church, designed by P. Morley Horder was built partly with the proceeds. In the late1920s serious differences arose between the then pastor and his congregation, and he resigned while membership fell and the financial position became precarious. Though things were better after the Second World War, membership remained low
North Metropolitan Tramways Co. This company, established in the 1860s, operated horse-drawn trams in north and east London. Tram construction works built in 1874 between the two Birkbeck Road. This connected with the company's system at Stratford by a horse tramway in Leytonstone High Road extended to the Green Man in 1878. The company experimented in 1877 with the Merryweather steam tram, in1881 with a car driven by the Beaumont compressed air engine, and in 1882 with an electric tram run on a battery. This was the first known example of electric street traction and the a vehicle was a converted horse tram with batteries under the seats. It ewes known as The Faure accumulator car designed by a Mr Radcliffe Ward for the Faure Accumulator Company. . In 1896 the London County Council purchased sections of the network, and eventually began direct management of the operation.  The Union Road works were used by the County Council until 1911
St Patrick's RC Cemetery. This was opened in 1868. Crowded with white-marble monuments, Lodge and Chapel with wheel window, 1861-2 by S.J. Nicholl. Includes graves of some of the nuns drowned on the Deutchesland and commemorated by Hopkins, and also the grave of Mary Kelly, a Ripper victim. There is an area of war graves with 147 Commonwealth burials of the Great War and Special Memorial headstones erected in a row within the main War Plot. There are 134 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War here, with a Screen Wall Memorial. Mausoleum of 1963.
45 Birkbeck Tavern. Late 19th corner pub situated next to the cemetery

Leyton High Road
Leyton Station. Opened in 1856 it now lies Between Stratford and Leytonstone on the Central Line. It was opened by the Eastern Counties Railway and originally called  ‘Low Leyton’. The Great Eastern Act of 1853 said that no trains were to stop here between 10.30-1.00 on Sundays.   In 1867 the name was changed to ‘Leyton’. In 1878 there was some rebuilding and a new entrance in was installed in the High Road – and much of what remains dates from this time. Other new entrances were installed in succeeding years but the northern ticket office and entrance which dated from 1901 were removed when the M11 extension was built in the 1990s. In 1948 the line was electrified and the station became part of the Central Line. It was again rebuilt with new fa├žade to the High Road.  Additional works and extensions will be put in place for the 2012 Olympic games
Bridge dates from 1879 when the level crossing was removed
Goods yard. Closed 1968
Town Hall. This was Leyton’s second town hall built in 1895 by a new town hall, built next to the earlier building. It was designed by John Johnson. The High Road frontage is in of striped brick and stone  while the flank along Adelaide Road has a first-floor assembly hall. A more modest entrance goes to the technical institute with a relief showing workmen studying and at work. In Ruckholt Road is a later wing with the Council Chamber. Inside, the council chamber is approached by a small but imposing marble stair. The assembly hall, used as offices has a stage.
Library. This was Leyton's first town hall designed by John M. Knight the surveyor to Mile End Vestry, in 1882, extended 1910. It had become a library by 1897 converted by the Council Surveyor, W.Dawson.
Trinity Methodist church. Built in the 1970s of reused brick
267 bank built by J.H. Bethell, 1896.

Lindley Road
Leyton Parish Church Hall
Salvation Army Tabernacle. Salvation Castle built by local salvationist builder Coxhead
Young People's Hall

Newport Road
Newport School and Childrens’ Centre. This originated in a Board School built in 1883 and enlarged 1952.

North Birkbeck Road
Community Learning and Skills Service

Sidmouth Road
Previously called Faraday Street

South Birkbeck Road
Holy Trinity Church.  In 1874, an iron church was built here, and a new church built two years later. This was in of plain brick, and dedicated in 1878. After a fire in 1892, the chancel roof was painted with a dove amid golden rays.  A parsonage and parish room were soon added. Holy Trinity closed in 1973 and was demolished to make way for flats built by a property developer

Sources
British Listed Buildings web site
Day. London underground
Holy Trinity web site
Leyton History website
London Borough of Waltham Forest web site
London Parks and Gardens web site
London Railway Record
London’s Town Halls. English Heritage
Metadyne web site
Noor U Islam Newsletter web site
Pump House Museum web site
Thames Basin Archaeology Group, Booklet
Vestiges
Victoria County History, Essex

No comments: