Friday, 31 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Totteridge Lane

Dollis Brook,
Dollis Brook flows southwards

Post to the north Dollis Brook Valley
Post to the west Totteridge Green
Post to the south Woodside Park

Laurel Way
Named for Laurel Farm

Northiam
Totteridge Union URC church

Southover
Woodridge Primary School. The school built in 1967, with classrooms designed around a central courtyard to give maximum light and space on all sides.

Totteridge Green
A large informal triangle of land.  Registered under the Commons Preservation Act of 1965. It consists of grassland, with areas of woodland including oak, horse chestnut, ash, beech, crack-willow and weeping willow. In the centre is an oak which is said to have been planted in the 18th by Sir Peter Meyer, a Dutch merchant who lived at Poynters Grove, Totteridge. It is thought he caused four ponds to be dug and 186 trees planted.
Totteridge Cricket Club. This dates from 2008 as result of a merger between Totteridge Cricket Club founded 1881 and Old Millhillians Cricket Club founded 1878. The present field has been occupied since 1924, and Barnet Urban District Council bought the land just before the War, granting the Club a lease.  The pavilion was opened in 1959.
Laurel Farm. 17th timber framed farm house with an original entrance door.
Laurel Farm Barn. Converted 18th timber framed barn .Now studios
Laurel Farm Pond.  The only surviving pond on the green, of what may at one time have been fourteen.
Home Farm. 17th Timber framed farmhouse with an early brick chimney
Strathearn Cottages. Pair of 19th brick cottages. Painted white with brick arches over the windows.
The Croft. House by T. E. Collcutt built in 1895. His style was a simplified and more relaxed version of Norman Shaw's early work. It consists of three brick ranges around a court plus a little half-timbering. There is a verandah on the garden front inside is some pretty plasterwork and De Morgan tiles. Behind are the remains of a formal garden with a sculpture of a triton by Henry Pegram.  
Fairspier. Similar idiom to The Croft this is a small roughcast house built in 1899 by Collcutt
Grace Court. Flats in a house which was originally called Strathearn and subsequently it became Consolata College.  It was designed by Colcutt, in 1898-9.
Smithy House – on the site of the 19th blacksmiths

Totteridge Lane
Built up in the 17th.
Trevanion by Norman Shaw, 1883-4,
Totteridge Library. Closed and the site sold, since demolished

Totteridge Village
Pointers Grove. This was at the junction with Totteridge Green and Totteridge Lane, on the north side. Some of the garden wall survives in Totteridge Village. This mansion house was home to a number of distinguished people, finally members of the Harmsworth family
Old House.  Plain 18th house with a tall porch with two thin columns.

Whetstone Stray
Area of allotments

Willow End
The end of the road is near the cricket ground

Woodside Grange Road
Finchley Catholic High School.  The school has been here since 1928. It was founded in 1926 by Canon Clement Henry Parsons who was parish priest of St. Alban’s Roman Catholic Church, Nether Street. He founded the Challoner School and St. Alban's Catholic Preparatory School. In 1971 Finchley Catholic Grammar School and the Challoner School, merged. Canon Parsons began a collection in 1928 to fund he school and produced enough money to purchase. Woodside Grange. Care of the house and grounds were being split between the Governors, the Local Authority and the Archdiocese of Westminster.
White House. The school buildings are grouped around the White House which is a stucco-Gothic villa also called Woodside Grange, built between c. 1885 and 1894.It is battlemented, with a stair-tower rising , Inside is an Entrance hall with marble paving, staircase behind with good iron balustrade. In 1972 the house was briefly delisted but following a parliamentary question listing was restored.
Lodge. Mid 19th gatehouse in Gothic Style.

Sources
British Listed Buildings web site
Finchley Roman Catholic High School Wikipedia web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Gardens web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Walford. Village London
Woodridge Primary School website

No comments: