Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Golders Green

Decoy Brook
The Decoy Brook flows south west and north west

Post to the north Hampstead Garden Suburb
Post to the east Spaniards
Post to the west Golders Green

Accommodation Road
Laid with granite setts. Service road at the back of shops, with some industrial units
The water main from Kempton Park crosses here

Britten Close
Built on the site of tennis courts at the back end of the railway works

Chandos Way
Chandos Tennis Club. This began in 1922 in Neasden. In 1931 a school sports ground was found in Wellgarth Road and the Club was incorporated on 1934.

Corringham Court
A three storey block of flats designed by Cowper in 1933. Two arched tunnels lead to a large rear garden with York stone paths and lawn. The grass embankment shields the flats from the underground train sidings and works.

Corringham Road
16-90 101-117 Parker and Unwin
73 -79 this closed the view along Rotherwick Road and buildings are raised on an embankment. Designed by Herbert Welch in 1910, the brick houses are linked by an arched passage
81-87 a terrace by Welch from 1910-11 set back to save mature oaks on the plot. The central houses are linked by an arched passage
66-72 mark the entrance to Corringham Court.
117 has a gazebo above its garage
The water main from Kempton Park was shown on the pre-development OS maps as a line of posts. This is now a green corridor behind the houses

Corringway
A cul-de-sac by Parker and Unwin the year is given as 1911 on a rainwater hopper.  Each group of houses faces its mirror-image opposite.
Built 1909 as a communal L shaped block for people with cars and there were flats for chauffeurs over the block of garages. This didn’t last and it became a commercial garage and was eventually replaced in 1996 by a pastiche in Parker & Unwin style by David Baker of Lawrence & Wrightson. 

Finchley Road
Finchley Road was created by Act of Parliament as a bypass route and opened as a turnpike road in 1830.
House – the first house built in Golders Green following plans for a tube station by Yerkes was ready for occupation at the corner of Finchley Road and Hoop Lane in 1905.
650-660 half timbered houses which form part of the 1908 ‘Hendon Leasehold Estate’ and are part of Hampstead Garden Suburb,
622 The Gate Lodge. Pub
700 St.Edward the Confessor. Roman Catholic Church built in 1915 by Arthur Young. It is in brick with a central tower, comer turrets and a chequered parapet. In 1908 Carmelite sisters had a monastery in Bridge Lane and a new parish was dedicated here to St Edward the Confessor because the land for a new church was to rise was given by St Edward to the Benedictines.  St Edward's Hall was built in 1911 and used as the temporary Church until the present Church was completed. The First World War meant that there were unavoidable delays. The first date for the opening, in 1915 was the night of the first Zeppelin raid over Golders Green. The church was finally consecrated on the Feast of St Edward 1930. Following an arson attack in the 1960s there have been many have improvements to the Church and Hall including a shrine to St.Edward.
847 Shree Swamirayam Temple.  At the age of eleven Nilkanthvarni, Lord Swaminarayan, renounced the material world, and encouraged His devotees to be hardworking, compassionate and free of all vices. In order to further spread his teachings a small number of families arrived from East Africa and India to settle in North London. The Shree Swaminarayan Sidhant Sajivan Mandal, London, was established in 1964 and in the late 1970s purchased a disused church in Golders Green and converted the internal characteristics into a majestic mandir.  The church was built as Saint Ninian's Presbyterian Church, in 1911. In 1972 they joined the United Reformed Church and in 1979 merged with the Golders Green Methodist Church
867 – 893 shopping parade which goes into Golders Green Road built in red brick Art Nouveau style by Morrison Garood in 1911.
897 HSBC bank at the junction with Golders Green Road. This was built as the Midland Bank with Portland stone designs and curve round the main shopping street
Horse trough
War memorial/clock tower. Unveiled in 1923. It is of Weldon stone with York stone steps, and it has a clock on each face, along with the words Justice/Honour/Loyalty/Courage.  One side is inscribed 'Their Name Liveth For Evermore' with a plaque 'To the Memory of the Men of Golders Green who made the Supreme Sacrifice 1914-1918 plus another plaque on a plinth to the fallen of 1939-1945.. It may have been designed by Frank T Dear.   It cost £2,000 and some of the money was raised through a benefit concert featuring Marie Lloyd and Anna Pavlova.
905-907 Valve House in the forecourt of a mini cab firm. . Single storey brick building built 1906.  This was to pump forward water from Kempton Park through a 42- and 48 inch water main running to Lea Bridge. This may have been demolished. There were also 1930s huts on site with steel-frame Crittall windows
Strip of land adjacent to the railway protecting the deep water main running to the Valve House on Finchley Road from Kempton Park. Some cast iron railings remain.a
The Refectory Pub. Built with white painted render, by Herbert Welch. Now partly Hotel Unique. This was originally opened in 1916 by the Company of Electric Caterers Ltd. as the first all electric restaurant. The electrical plant was by Crompton & Co., and the equipment made by the Falkirk Iron Co. it was connected to the Hendon Electrical Supply Co, System.  Some gas used for the boiling table.  In 1918 they provided evening meals for City workers on a subscription basis
Ionic Cinema. This is located in the same building as Sainsbury’s. It was built in 1975 replacing a 1913 Cinema. It was designed by the architectural firm George Coles and Co, and was taken over by the Cannon Group in 1986 and ABC Cinemas in 1997. It closed in 1999
Rotherwick Road – entrance designed as a gateway to Hampstead Garden Suburb

Golders Green Road
Exchange Mansions by Herbert Welch built in 1916. Three storey shops in brick with decoration in Arts and Crafts Style
2 – 2a by Erno Goldfinger 1935 it is a three storey building with modernist curved glass
4, 6, 8 by Herbert Welch and H. Clifford Hollis in Arts and Crafts style forming a gateway to Golders Green Crescent
1 – 21 brick Art Nouveau shops by Morrison Garood 1911.
10 – 90 Cheapside by Herbert Welch and H. Clifford Hollis built 1914. Three storey shops with flats

Golders Hill Park Close
5 curtain-walled upper storey over a brick base.
6 built by David Stern in 1966.

Hampstead Heath Extension
Decoy Brook This stream rises from Sandy Heath where the sand meets the clay.
The Heath Extension covers 125 acres. The land consists of most of former agricultural land the acquisition of which was largely down to Henrietta Barnett who formed the Hampstead Heath Extension Council in 1903 to prevent the Underground reaching the area. The upper part is managed for hay.
There is a series of 7 ponds – one of which is an old field pond first recorded in the 18th.
Great Wall – this is between Hampstead Way and North Point. It was designed by Charles Wade for Unwin at the southern edge of Hampstead Garden Suburb and is said to have been inspired by medieval German towns, particularly Rothenburg. There are round-arched entrances to the gardens behind the wall, and weather-boarded gazebos.

Hampstead Way
17 by Quennell, has a grand side chimney
45-53 provide an entrance area to Heath Close
27 was designed by Herbert Welch.
79-81 design by Ernest Willmott, 1910-11
87-89 designed M.J. Dawson in 1910

Heath Close
This is a narrow road off Hampstead Way where Silver birches were originally set into roadside hedges. There is a garden and a whitewashed garden quadrangle. It was designed by Parker and Unwin in 1911 in a ‘vernacular’ style as flats which set on a narrow band of land.

Heathcroft
This is a complex of flats with gardens by J.B.F. Cowper which was the winning design in a competition for labour-saving flats run by Second Hampstead Tenants Ltd in 1923.
Porters Lodge. Single storey building in a central area
Courtyard which has three lawns enclosed by low brick walls, and a central rose garden with sundial

Helenslea Avenue
4 Finchley Road Synagogue. Sasover Synagogue. This dates from 1941 and is affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues and, from about 1948, also associated with Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations

Hodford Road
90 Trinity Church, Methodist and United Reform. Built as a Methodist church in 1922 by George Withers. Large building on a corner site
Hodford Hall – part of the Methodist complex.

Hoop Lane
35 Central Hotel
31½ Unitarian Church.  Built in 1925 this is by Reginald Farrow with a small dome.  Inside is a mural by Ivor Hitchens done in 1920-1 showing a forest scene with deer and other animals among trees, in the tradition of Morris & Co. There is also a pulpit, made by Belgian refugees for Cardinal Mercier.
Golders Green Crematorium.  The London Cremation Society opened this as London's first crematorium in 1902. The buildings from 1905 to 1939 form a large, impressive group along the lane, in brick with linked by a long cloister walk.  This cloister was built in 1912-16 and contains the ashes of many well-known people, Sigmund Freud, Aneurin Bevan, Neville Chamberlain, Eric Coates, Kathleen Ferrier, Elinor Glyn, Arthur Greenwood, Rudyard Kipling, Tom Mann, Ivor Novello, Anna Pavlova, Isaac Pitman, Harry Pollitt, Bram Stoker, Marie Stopes, etc. The West Columbarium built 1902-3, and the West Chapel built 1905 by Sir Ernest George & Yeates.  In the chapel is a bust of Sir Henry Thompson pioneer of cremation, by Frith, 1904. The East Chapel is by Mitchell & Bridgwater. 1908. The East Columbarium built 1910-11, with a tall tower, provides a focus for the group. The Bedford Chapel was built in 1911 for the Duke of Bedford. The Ernest George Columbarium, by Alfred B. Yeates was built in 1926 with galleries on three sides. Chapel and Hall Of Memory, 1939 by Mitchell and Bridgwater. Martin Smith Mausoleum, 1904-5 by Paul Phipps, of brick and stone. There is a war memorial in front of the cloister, built in 1919-20 as a stone Ionic temple in front of a lily pool. The Garden was laid out with a pergola by William Robinson in 1907.  Philipson Mausoleum, by Sir Edwin Lutyens built in 1938. The grounds start as an open field in front of the cloister, and become an informal woodland garden with pools. Sculpture 'Into the Silent Land' by Henry Pegram R. A. installed in 1924 this is a bronze, shrouded figure raising a girl above a sea of souls. Chanshyam da Biria installed 1983 is a standing bronze figure.

Moreland Close
The court is arranged around a hedged communal garden, originally a tennis court.
2 by J.G. Jackson built 1923
3 by Bunney & Makins
4-7 by Quennell

North End Road
Heart of Golders Green at the crossroads. The Green itself has become an irregular square. Urban with tall gabled shopping parades of 1908
2 – 38 Crescent Parade. Shops in red brick and decorated in the late Victorian style.
19 Plaque which says that Michael Ventris Architect and Decipherer of Linear B script, lived there
94 – 96 London Jewish Cultural Centre. Ivy House. This is a 19th villa with castellations. In 1840- 1851 it was the home of C.R. Cockerell, who created a library there with casts of the Bassae frieze, from 1934 it was the home of ballerina, Anna Pavlova, She lived on the first floor only. In 1952 the Industrial Orthopedic Society it and the ground floor became the Out-Patients Department of Manor House Hospital, while the upper storey was staff accommodation. In 1955 it became the New College of Speech and Drama and then part of Middlesex Polytechnic. It includes the Anna Pavlova Memorial Museum. 
145 plaque to Evelyn Waugh, which says 'Evelyn Waugh, Writer lived here’. He didn't live here for very long; it was after all the wrong end of Hampstead. Plaque erected 1993.
Cinderella Path. This goes to Clown’s Day Nursery
Golders Green Station. Opened in 1907 between Brent Cross and Hampstead on the Northern Line. In the autumn of 1900, two men drove in a hansom cab over Hampstead Heath – north of the heath was an isolated crossroads with a couple of old houses and some farm buildings. The men were Harley Hugh Dalrymple Hay and Lauderbeck, acting for Charles Tyson Yerkes, who said that this was the place where the terminus for the railway should go. The extension was authorised in 1902, despite the protests of posh Hampstead people who has variuous excuses as to why not. The station opened on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway. The original terminus was a Leslie Green designed station different from the others. It has a ground floor, a mezzanine floor and a steel frame with curved platforms plus a train staff mess room and depot. It was only above ground London Electric Railway station of this date.   1922 extended to Hendon.  In the 1980s the wooden platforms were replaced as was the ticket hall. At platform level the metal staircases are original with separate ones for entrance and exit and there are the usual green tiles. A section of original canopy survives facing the bus station .A second entrance, now disused, was installed in 1911 to interchange with the trams and this had a timber walkway to it, above it is raised fa├»ence lettering.,
Railway buildings include the depot and shunting sheds.  The Maintenance Depot was built adjacent to the station in 1907. Originally this was four brick car sheds with glass roofs built by Bott and Stennet with inspection pits. North of the buildings were four sidings, and two more between the depot and the station.  There were two 10 ton travelling cranes in the machine shop and a training school for drivers.
Bus depot. Many bus routes use the busy interchange in front of the tube station
Tunnel portals. These are 400m to the London side of Golders Green station.  They are the only London Electric Railway tunnel portals of 1907.
Golders Green Hippodrome. Built by Bertie Crewe and opened as a music hall in 1913.  It was a BBC recording studio from 1968.  Inside the auditorium has giant columns flanking the boxes and above it chariots drawn by lions. The BBC sold it on 2005 and it is now El Shaddai International Christian Centre, an evangelical church.
King Alfred School. Posh private school. This was first established in 1898 in Ellerdale Road as a rational progressive, co-educational day school and moved to the Manor House Estate 1919.  New buildings were erected between 1919 and 1934 in Garden Suburb tradition by Barry Parker and replaced army huts previously used. There were many opportunities for open air teaching.  In 1934 E. C. Kaufmann added a Junior School, in reinforced concrete, in the international style of the 30s, with classrooms, which could be opened up on one side. These were replaced in the 1990s by new Lower School buildings by Van Heyningen & Howard however they continue the principle of outdoor teaching. 
Manor house. The Manor House of Hendon built by John Bone, Lord of the Manor of Hendon in the 1790s and taken over by the War Office in 1916
Manor House Hospital.  In 1916 the Manor House Estate had been taken over by the War Office and given to the Allied Hospital Benevolent Fund to build a hospital for injured servicemen. This opened in huts in 1917. After the war they became the Industrial Orthopaedic Society and treated the victims of industrial accidents. In 1927 they bought the Manor House Estate and the hospital was rebuilt by the patients themselves. During the Second World War beds were used by the Emergency Medical Services for civilian casualties.  In 1948 it was exempted from joining the NHS and continued to be supported by membership subscriptions from trades unions.  In 1952 they bought Ivy House and intended to build a women's hospital in the grounds but could not do so. In 1955 Inverforth House was unexpectedly left to the Hospital, so Ivy House was sold and a women's hospital was established at Inverforth House. In 1969 a new four-storey wing with 52 beds and an operating theatre was opened.   The Hospital was placed into voluntary liquidation in 1998 and closed in 1999. The hospital site has now been demolished and redeveloped by Octagon Homes.  As 'Manor Heights', a posh gated estate.
St Alban and St. Michael. Built 1932 and designed by Giles Gilbert Scott as a Gothic church. Originally, in 1910, Saint Alban the Martyr, was a chapel-of-ease to All Saints, Childs Hill and was made the parish church of a new parish in 1922. The original church became the parish hall in 1933 and a new church built. In 1979 St Alban was united with Saint Michael, Golders Green. The church is constructed of reinforced concrete with a brick facing. Inside fittings were also designed by Scott. Archbishop Desmond Tutu was Curate here in the 1960s.
Churchyard – this is a pleasant garden with lawns, trees and shrubs.
Church Hall. Built in 1909 by Herbert Wills as a church and later replaced.
Milestone. Now in a museum. A very worn stone reading V/M I L ES/FROM/LON DON was taken from North End Road.

Renolds Close
Flats by Parker & Unwin, built in 1911 which use a narrow swathe piece of land to design T shaped deep cul-de-sacs. The communal greens were originally tennis courts
7 - copper beech tree in the garden, one of several specimen trees in the area
13 a large, central, detached house
15 mature oak in the garden,

Romney Close
1 decorative leaded light windows
2 has two double-height bays and a patterned glass porch

Rotherwick Road
Green corridor at the backs of the houses marks the line of the water main from Kempton Park
Two brick gate piers mark the entrance to Hampstead Garden suburb.
2  a ‘gateway’ house designed by Hollis and Wade in 1909 to exploit uneven plot sizes.

St.Alban’s Lane
Service road at the back of shops, with some industrial units

Waterlow Court
The entrance is a covered cloister with a Lichgate. It was designed by Baillie-Scott in 1908-9 for the Improved Dwelling Society as flats for young working women, with a communal dining area in the central range

Wellgarth Road
The road was intended by Unwin as a large-scale formal approach to the Heath Extension but the planned International Modern buildings by Edgar Wood were never erected
Gatepost in the entrance from North End Road. Two gate posts were originally erected by one was removed when 1 was built
1 small cottage designed for himself in 1930 by Frederick MacManus.
4 Wellgarth Nursery Training College – later became a Youth Hostels Association building. This is by Lovegrove and Papworth, who had designed many warehouses in Hoxton, where the college had its previous site. It was built in 1915 and was probably actually designed by Arthur Penty, an idealistic Christian Socialist
9 -15 1920s houses designed in Soutar's office by Paul Badcock. A post-war economy is shown in that the window glass had no timber frame but goes straight into the brickwork,
11 -13, a twitten leads to a green shared by residents of Wellgarth Road and Heathcroft.
12-14 built by Bunney & Makins.
16 designed by Parker and Unwin in 1914 in red brick.
17 with bay windows, probably by T Phillips Figgis.
19 Threeways.  House built by Cowles-Voysey, son of the famous Voysey, in 1910. The first straightforward Neo-Georgian in the Suburb
Horse Trough. Secondary inscriptions "George & Annie Bills. Australia."  This has now disappeared.

West Heath Avenue
Superior detached houses c 1910 also is a clutch of post-war houses in a variety of styles
17 by Jellicoe, Ballantyne & Coleridge, c. 1961, rather Scandinavian: L-shaped, of small buff bricks, shallow copper roof to the main range; simple timber windows, split level plan
21 1961 long transparent upper floor overlooking the park, by Anthony Levy

Sources
Badsley Ellis. The Hampstead Tube
GLIAS Newsletter
Chandos Tennis Club. Web site
Bourne. Hendon Electric Supply Co.
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
HGS. Web site
Jewishgen. Web site
Leboff.  The Underground Stations of Leslie Green
London Borough of Barnet web site
London Encyclopedia
Lucas. London
MiddlesexCountyCouncil. Web site
Miller. Hampstead Garden Suburb
Petrie. Hendon and Golders Green Past
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Shree Swaminarayan Temple. Web site
St. Edward the Confessor. Web site.
Stevenson. Middlesex
Subterranea Britannica. Web site
Trench and Hillman. London Under London
Walford, Village London,
Walford. Highgate to the Lea

No comments: