Saturday, 29 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Golders Green

Decoy Brook
The brook flows north west towards the River Brent

Post to the east Golders Green
Post to the north Temple Fortune
Post to the west Brent Cross

Accommodation Road
Service road at the back of Golders Green Road shops. It has granite setts

Basing Hill Park
This is a small park laid out as a recreation ground in 1936. It is grass, trees, tarmac paths and tennis courts

Dunstan Road
United Synagogue. The first synagogue opened in the area. It was designed, by Digby Solomon, and begun in 1921 for a congregation which had first met in 1915. The main hall was completed 1925 by Ernest Joseph, who added the entrance portico, vestibule and classrooms. It is a plain brick building with a dignified classical interior with panelled galleries on three sides.
Joseph Freedman Hall, built 1939

Elmcroft Avenue
Bridge carrying the Northern Line extension of 1922. A skew steel girder bridge it is the longest on the extension at 129 ft 6 inches.

Gloucester Gardens
On the site of Golders Lodge

Golders Gardens
On the site of Golders Lodge

Golders Green
The area has been known as Golders Green since the early 17th 1612. It probably refers to a local family name. 

Golders Green Road
Shopping parades on each side, in various styles of the Edwardian period. 
London Jewish Family Centre
Maurice and Vivienne Wohl Campus on the site of La Sagasse school. This is a Jewish Care Home and Head Office of Jewish Care Direct. Opened in 2010. Includes Selig Court, an independent living project for Holocaust survivors with a mural in the campus reception area symbols of Jewish life - Star of David, shofar, kiddush cup, dreidel, menorah, the Ten Commandments and the 12 Tribes of Israel. There is a community centre space with arts and crafts, pottery and quilting; a unisex hairdressing salon and a shop with kosher favourites. There are garden areas and a "secret garden" for residents.
La Sagesse. This was a school run by women known also as the Montfort sisters who engaged in social and educational work and in 1909 moved to Woodstock House renaming it ''La Sagesse Convent''. There they opened an independent day and boarding school for girls which from 1965 catered for educationally-disadvantaged children.
Woodstock House was a large 19th house once known as Rose Cottage and home 1816 to 1835 to Felix Booth head of Booth and Co., distillers.
208 Sage Centre. Yehoshua Freshwater Centre, a Jewish home and centre for old people. Built 1990-2 by Rosenfelaer Associates.
Holy Cross and St. Michael's Cathedral, built as St.Michael Church of England it is now Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Cathedral. Built 1913 by J. T. Lee with additions by Caroe & Passmore in 1924-5.
Church Hall. Designed by Stellios Constantinou, 1993. 
Eagle Lodge, mansion flats built 1935-7 by M V. Braikevitch, worth tall gaunt blocks.
Library. Built 1935 as the first purpose-built branch library in the Borough of Hendon,

Golders Way
Service road at the back of Golders Green Road, with line of single storey brick sheds

Montpelier Rise
Cut in half for the embankment of the Northern Line extensions 1923.

Sneath Avenue
Claude Sneath was killed in the Great War and there is a memorial window to him in a local church

The Ridgeway
Water main from Kempton Park. There is a gap in the line of houses.

The Riding
Beth Hamadrach Synagogue. Built 1959 By Shaw & Lloyd. This is a group with a hall and synagogue with a porch link. The Synagogue us brick aisles on a slight zigzag plan. This is an Ashkenazi Orthodox Jewish congregation which was founded in 1936 in the King Alfred Shul and moved to The Riding 1956.
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. 

The Vale
Water Main from Kempton Park. In the triangle formed with the junction with Vale Rise is a concrete platform. It includes steel plates inscribed “J. Blakeborough & Sons, Brighouse”.

The Grove
Chaverim Youth Organisation. Orthodox Jewish Youth Centre.

Wessex Gardens
Wessex Gardens Primary School

Woodstock Avenue
Menorah Primary School. Primary School serving the Orthodox Jewish Community

Woodstock Road
The water main from Kempton Park crosses the road
Heruka Buddhist Centre. This is the main north London Buddhist centre of the New Kadampa Tradition.

Sources
Badsley-Ellis. The Hampstead Tube
Beth Hamadrach Web site
Chaverim Youth Organisation web site
Field. London Place Names,
Heruka Centre web site
London Encyclopaedia
Middlesex Churches
MiddlesexCountyCouncil. Web site
Petrie. Hendon and Golders Green Past
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
United Synagogue Web site

No comments: