The Dollis Brook flows south westwards and
is met by two tributaries from the north west
Post to the north Frith
Post to the east West Finchley
Post to the west Holders Hill
Post to the south Finchley Church End
Mill Hill East Station.
Opened in 1867 it is now the Terminus
of the Northern Line beyond Finchley Central and the only station on the branch.
It is the least used station on the Northern Line. It was built for the Edgware, Highgate and London
Railway and opened by the Great Northern Railway – and opened originally as
‘Mill Hill Station’ between Finchley and Edgware, but originating in Finsbury
Park. In 1928 the name was changed to ‘Mill Hill (East) for Mill Hill Barracks’
and the station
was used mainly for soldiers at the nearby barracks. Electrification
to Edgware was proposed in 1938 as part of the New Works programme but this didn't
happen and, unlike others, this station was never rebuilt. The old Edgware Line was reopened to here in
1941 following pressure from the War Office which wanted access to the barracks
but at the same time it became part of the Northern Line but using the old
London North East Railway track. It is
one of only two London Underground stations to have only one platform – an intended
second platform was never built. Just beyond where
trains stop, is some hundred yards of fenced off non-electrified track left
in-situ as an over-run for the London Transport line- the intended extension of
the line has never been undertaken. There is also some contemporary netting on
either side. The original station is still there, with the former Station
Master’s house adjacent and the old
wooden platform still there under a layer of asphalt. An overhead cable bridge connected to the New
Works programme has been removed.
A siding was installed for North Middlesex
Gas Works in 1886
Sidings for building work for the infantry
barracks were provided in 1904 and remained there for army use.
Estate on the east side of the road represents a goods dock built in the 1930s.
This served the barracks and the Royal Engineers workshop which was adjacent to
turning circle in front of the station dates from the New Works programme in
and development – this is on the site of the North Middlesex Gas Works opened
1886 and closed in 1956. This area represents the area of the entrance to the
works – the holders and working area were to the west
Engineers Eastern Command Workshops. Built in 1946 on the site of Bittacy Farm.
Later used by the Council Depot
Estate built in the 1930s
Homesteads bought Devonshire Farm in 1933 and laid out this estate
Dollis Railway Viaduct. Built for the Great Northern Railway on the
branch line from Finsbury Park to Edgware in 1863-7 by Sir John Fowler and
Walter Marr Brydone. It consists of thirteen red brick arches with a parapet. The
piers are subdivided into two sub-pieces. It is one of the most spectacular
works of railway architecture in southeast England and said to be the highest
point on the London Underground. In 1941 the line was electrified by London
Transport and became part of the Northern line.
It was built wide enough for a double track.
follows the line of the approach road to Nether Court
Finchley Golf Course. This is built
in the grounds of what was Nether Court. The house owner, Henry Tubbs, established
a 9-hole golf course in part of his grounds in 1892. The club lapsed during the
Great War and Tubbs died in 1917. In 1919 Hendon Urban District Council bought
the house for a hospital site but instead sold it to John James Ward, a
Farringdon butcher. He sold both this and Frith Grange, to a company who then sold
it to Finchley Urban District Council in 1928 who wanted to build a road through
the site. It was then leased out as a golf course which opened in 1930.
Nether Court - this is now the
golf clubhouse. It was built in 1883 by Percy Stone for Henry Thomas Tubbs, JP,
thus also called 'Old Tubbs Mansion'. Garden terraces lie on the side of the
house, there are specimen trees and a large 19th ornamental fountain and basin.
golf course retains the original landscaping of the old grounds.
Golf Club Entrance – the club is approached by an avenue of chestnut
trees, a continuation of Eversleigh Road.
Bridge over Dollis Brook. This bridge on
the chestnut avenue between Eversleigh Road and Nether Court. It is a road width, built of brick and has railings to
prevent falls into the brook
Frith Grange. Demolished in 1929
Thus was built for the never finished and now non existent line. It was not
used until 1969 when the original bridge became unsafe and the track on the
bridge was re-aligned to pass through the space for the second track
Old Railway Bridge The original bridge was demolished
In 1969. There are signs of the original
track on the south side of the bridge where by the line of sleepers still in
Frith Grange Scout Camp Site. Owned by
Barnet District Scouts
Holders Hill Circus
Locally known as Kelly’s Corner. Kelly were
The Mill Pub. Built in the 1960s
St Mary Magdalene church 1934. This was a
mission church which has now gone. Some of the fitting were moved to other
churches in the area
The barracks were built in the late 1880s –
this square covers the south eastern area.
This was the home of the home of the ‘Die Hards’ Middlesex Regiment. Named
after Lt.Col William Inglis killed at Battle of Albuera in 1811 and told troops
to ‘Die Hard’. In the Second World War this included a Middlesex Regiment Depot and a hutted camp. Much of the area is now in other use.
This road was within the area of the
Personnel and Medical Centre. Built 1960s
Day. London Underground
Disused Stations. Web site
London Borough of Barnet web site
London Gardens online web site
London Railway Record
Osborne, Defending London
TBAIG, A Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North