Monday, 17 September 2012

Mutton Brook - East Finchley

Mutton Brook
Mutton Brook flows north west

Area built up in the early 20th with quality housing - but the North Circular cuts through the area making it less desirable than it could be for a home.

Post to the south Hampstead Garden Suburb
Post to the west Henley's Corner

Addison Way
Christopher Addison was Minister for Reconstruction under Lloyd George.
In 1927 brutally turned into Falloden Way as part of the construction of the Barnet by Pass.
Low groups of flats with outer staircases. Designed By Parker and Unwin in 1911.  The block facing Hogarth Hill is more flamboyant and said to be the most integrated area of the Suburb in terms of housing design and spatial planning. Blocks with towers define the limits of the enclosure, 

Basing Way
Adam de Basing owned the area from 1248 and was a Lord Mayor. Local authority housing.

Briars Close
Briar Lane - This may have originally been called Philipe Lane, but it was generally known as Green Lane.

Brookland Rise
Plain roughcast style. Middle-class private houses by Sutcliffe

Coleridge Walk
The architect was Welch in a design of long cottage fronts, half-timbered parts and linking ‘twittens’.

Creswick Walk
Early cottages and work by Sutcliffe

East End Road
East End Road. Preserves the old name ‘East End’, now ‘East Finchley’. The road led from the old hamlet of East Finchley to Finchley village.
Manor Farm. This was on the north side of the road north of the North Circular and part of Bibesworth Manor, it was also called Normans. Used by Sanger Circus to provide fodder for animals. In the 1880s it was owned by west end store owner William Whitley. Land adjacent to the road was later used by Deard’s rubbish transfer business. It was bought by the Council and demolished in 1956
49 Middlesex Cricket Club Academy. On the site of Manor Farm. The club had acquired 20 acres here for playing fields in 1938. In 1956 they moved the county cricket school from Alexandra Palace to a new building here.
LA Fitness – gym on part of the MCC site
Finchley Cricket Club, founded 1832. It merged with Finchley Amateurs and Whetstone or Woodside club in 1872 and later others. It had acquired the pitch at East End Road by 1908.
Manor Cottage Tavern. This was adjacent to the North Circular and rebuilt in 1934. It has since been demolished.
59 Lime Tree Court
Christ’s College.  This is a boys' school with a mixed sixth form. It its roots in two different schools: Chapel Street School, later Alder School and Finchley Hall School, later Christ’s College.  Alder School was a technical secondary school which merged with Christ’s College in 1978. Christ’s College had opened in Hendon and in 1902 became the first Middlesex County grammar school. The school moved to a new site in 1991,
St.Marylebone Cemetery. Founded in 1854 by St.Marylebone Parish in need of extra burial space. Notoriously this was sold in 1987 after long neglect by the City of Westminster. The rag stone buildings by Barnett & Birch were eventually restored in 1994-6. There is a railed approach with a Gothic Lodge and Gothic Anglican chapel plus a Dissenters' chapel by Edwin Cooper. It has many ambitious Monuments which include Peter Russell by Bertram Mackennal as a bronze group with a workman; Glenesk Mausoleum, etc
Crematorium by Ewin Cooper built 1937. The chimney has a receding octagonal top and there is a dignified brick interior

Eastholm
By E.A. Aston. Dates from 1920,

Erskine Hill
1-13 designed by Lutyens in pairs. 
Barnett's Homestead Flatlets for war widows of 1916 designed by Soutar in a cottage- style.

Falloden Way
Part of the A1 road this was originally part of Addison Way.  Building of the Hampstead Garden Suburb had continued here with flats and cottages, but in 1927 it was brutally transformed into part of Falloden Way. - the diverted Al.  This runs west before turning northwest and converging with the North Circular. It Way was built from 1914 as part of a programme of planned extensions the suburb and runs on an embankment due to a dip in the ground caused by the valley of Mutton Brook which runs parallel and south of the road.  The southern side is occupied by a strip of parkland which follows Mutton Brook. This is a notoriously dangerous stretch of road where buses are often forced to turn sharply out of the stops into fast moving traffic.

Hill Top
Brookland Infant and Junior schools

Hogarth Hill
Houses designed by Parker and Unwin

Hutchins Walk
Built 1935 with sub trap windows by Crickmer

Little Wood.
Site of an open-air theatre built in 1920. It is part of a nature reserve, along with Big Wood and owned and managed by London Borough of Barnet. In the early 1900s it was part of the fields of Park Farm and used by Lord George Sanger for grazing circus elephants.

Market Place
Built in 1922 as a neighbourhood shopping area for Hampstead Garden Suburb but overtaken by the development of Falloden Way and has become a standard north London shopping parade.

Midholm
By Sutcliffe built in plain roughcast style. Middle-class private houses,

Mutton Brook
This constitutes the southern boundary of Finchley.

Westholm
Built 1914 by Sutcliffe. The houses are plain and those in red brick have a neo-Victorian flavour different from the earlier Suburb

Sources

A1. Wikipedia web site
Christ’s College. Wikipedia Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Heathfield. Finchley and Whetstone Past
London Encyclopedia
Miller. Hampstead Garden Suburb

No comments: