Brook flows south
Post to the north Stoney Wood
Post to the west Edgware
Post to the south Watling Estate
Post to the east Mill Hill
Residential care home which is the remaining property of the John Grooms
Crippleage which was on this site.
Called Brookside because it is near Dean’s Brook.
the 1930s this was a country lane across open fields from The Hale, hamlet, to
the London County Council’s Watling estate.
House. Farmhouse which is now the site of John Keble Church
Keble Church. In 1932 this was a building contractor's hut and a church built
soon afterwards. Built in 1936 by D.F.Martin-Smith with a reinforced concrete
frame faced with brick. The font was originally a mortar in the kitchen of
Devonshire House, Piccadilly.
Powell Hall. This was originally in the hut which was the first church and is, obviously,
used by the scouts and guides
John Keble Church Hall
was the first regionally important new road in Edgware and was part of the
Watford by-pass built in 1927.
Corner. Also called Northway circus this is a large roundabout at the northern end of Watford Way. The A1 and A41
separate here, with the A1 continuing straight north and the A41 turning west.
Selvage Lane runs from here southwest to Mill Hill and Marsh Lane goes
northeast to Totteridge. There is no interchange with the M1.
means 'the nook or comer’ from an Old English word and it refers to its location
in the far north-west comer of the old parish of Hendon
Hale. The hamlet lay at the junction with Deans Lane in the 18th. It
was also known as the Green Man after the pub. Hale Lane is partly in the Edgware
Hale. The area around the Dean’s Brook Bridge.
over Deans Brook. This was a ford until 1926
Jolly Badger. This is a rebuilt Green Man which was famous in the 19th for sports such as boxing and had been on site since at
least the mid-18th. The pub was rebuilt as it is today in the late 1920s and had
its name changed in the late 1980s. It is now a Harvester Inn.
Marks Kennedy Jewish Primary School. The school is in an 18th house once called Maxwellton, and before that Shakerham farm.
It is the oldest building in the Hale. The Mathilda Marks-Kennedy School is named
after Mathilda Marks the daughter of Michael Marks, founder of Marks and
Spencer. She was a philanthropist for educational and medical causes. The
school was originally in Golders Green, where it was called Barclay House but
moved here in 1989. The building here was previously St.Anthony's Catholic Preparatory School.
Groom’s Crippleage. John Alfred
Groom was a London engraver and evangelical preacher. He was concerned about
the disabled women who sold flowers and watercress near Farringdon Market and he
founded the Watercress and Flower Girls' Christian Mission in 1866 based in
Clerkenwell and where inmates made artificial flowers. In 1931 the charity
bought an estate in Edgware, including men in 1965. By 1990 they were called John
Groom's Association for Disabled People and are now called Livability having
merged with the Shaftesbury Society. The Edgware site has been redeveloped as
from Hale Lane to Tudor Gardens. It is inside the Edgware Eruv
there was a plan a major road to run from the junction of Watling Street and
Edgware Way across Edgware to the Barnet by-pass. Eventually in 1967 the M1 was
opened running north-west from Mill Hill.
Green. Small green at the junction with Gibbs Green Lane. A remainder of the countryside
marooned in a sea of ghastly semidetached houses
Estate. This was a 100 acre estate sold for building in the 1920s.
Apex Corner. Wikiepedia website
British History. Edgware. Website
Field. London Place names
John Keble church website
Livability web site
London Borough of Barnet web site
Mathilda Marks Kennedy School web site
Middlesex Parish Churches
National Archives. Web site
The Hale. Wikipedia Web site