The Brent flows south westwards and it
joined by the Clitterhouse Brook from the south
TQ 23545 87949
The horrors of the junction of the North Circular Road with the A5, the M1 and the A41 plus a mega shopping mall. Under all this is the remains of an interesting area with industries and some railway infrastructure. There still are open spaces and homes but they are a bit swamped.
Post to the east Golders Green
Post to the north Brent Street
Post to the west West Hendon
‘Cross roads at the village of Brent’. This
is an intersection created in the 1920s with the creation of Hendon Way and the
North Circular. It is near to the old
hamlet of Brent Street
Farm. The site of Brent Cross Shopping Centre was
Renters Farm, owned by Geoffrey de Renter in 1309. This was a woodland area
with 16th charcoal manufacture
Brent Cross Shopping Centre. In 1959, Hammerson
and Standard Life Group found what they saw as 52 semi derelict acres on the
intersection of main roads. Much of the area had, until the 1920s, been an eastern arm of the Brent Reservoir, it had later been used for allotments and industry. Construction began in 1972 on a shopping complex of
two storeys, 610 ft long with initially 82 shops. It was first built in a dumbbell shape
running parallel to the North Circular Road, with the largest stores at the
ends The 600 foot main hall was finished in Cremona and Lido marble. Originally it was planned to include a boating lake,
covered swimming pool and a bowling centre but this never happened. It was
expanded in 1995, with more shops and restaurants on an extension running north
from the centre. It has one of the largest incomes per unit area of retail
space in the UK.
Multi Storey Car Park. Initially it had
free 5,217 parking spaces but a multi-storey car park
replaced the open parking area to the north in 1995.
Car Park. Site of the Hendon Greyhound Stadium. Opened by the Welsh Harp
Stadium Company in 1934. Closed and
demolished in 1972.
Shooting ground, Hendon Rifle Club
112 Jesus House. The church was founded as a
branch of Freedom Hall, part of the a parish of the Redeemed Christian Church
of God (RCCG), in Lagos, Nigeria in April 1994,
115 Preservation House, Ward Dampproofing,
family run business dating from 1977
Nightingale Works. Solid waste transfer
station and skip hire
slip and apparently part of the A41
Built by the Midland Railway on the land of
Clitterhouse Farm in the 1860s
Corporation Sewage Farm. An outfall
works was built on land of Renters farm in 1886 and a main drainage works built
the following year. It was later extended into some of the area which had been
Clitterhouse Farm which Hendon UDC bought in 1905. A new sewage disposal works was built in 1914
but by 1935 sewage was processed at the new works at Mogden.
Whitefield School. 1954 Barnet secondary
school reclad and extended 1993 and 1967. Specialist Sports College since
1999 and hosts a Football Academy, having academy status. Whitefield School was
built 1953-1954 on the site of the disused Hendon sewage water treatment works.
A Secondary Modern school, it opened in the autumn of 1954
Hendon Football Club, Loot Stadium. Originally
formed as Christ Church Hampstead football club in 1908, following other name
changes they became Hendon Football Club In 1946 as they were using the Hendon
ground. The ground was opened in 1926 with bench seats were only replaced in
1993. It was also used by London Crusaders Rugby Club and as a location films
and TV programmes. It was sold to a developer in 2006 and the club were forced
Brent Farm Cottage – one of two remains of
Park – small local park of previously unused land. Likely to be regenerated out
Freedman Centre. Care home.
St. Peter’s Church, with decorative brickwork St.Peter by John Salmon. The
church was opened in 1958 and closed in 1983. It is now part of the care home.
Way Industrial Estate – industrial and trading units, scrap and waste
Metals – scrap business
Cross Service Centre- export vehicles to Sri Lanka.
Surrounded by inter war Hendon council
The old fields of Clitterhouse Farm – although
much of them lay to the south of this area. Playing Fields and also likely to
Extension of the Finchley Road.
Cross Flyover carries Hendon Way over the North Circular Road, with a compact
three-level interchange, the first of its type in Britain. Built in 1962-5, by
Bruce White, Wolfe Barry and Partners, consulting architects Robert Atkinson
& Partners. New high-intensity lighting was used, on 100-ft- high tubular
335 Johnsons of Hendon. Chemical works on
the site of Brent Cross Shopping Centre. Johnsons of Hendon Limited began with
a goldsmith named Richard Wright with a business in 1743 in Maiden Lane in the
City. John Johnson took over the business and was the first independent Assayer
in the City. In 1839 Johnson and Sons began making chemical salts of silver and
gold for Fox Talbot’s photographic process. This business grew and in 1927 the
moved to Hendon. In 1941 they took over Ensign,
Ltd and over the next thirty years, Johnsons of Hendon they concentrated on photographic
equipment and imported German cameras. In 1972, Johnsons of Hendon was acquired
by the Hestair Company abandoned chemical production in 1974 and the Hendon
site was a sold.
Cross Station. Opened in 1923 it lies between
Hendon Central and Golders Green on the Northern Line. . Built on the tube line
of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway -later called the Northern
line. It was the first station of the
extension of what was then known as the Hampstead & Highgate Line, which
had first been planned before the Great War when the station had been due to be
called Woodstock. It was renamed from Brent to its Brent Cross in 1976
opening of the shopping centre. It was the site of two passing loops used
briefly to allow non-stop trains to pass slow trains at platforms but these tracks were
removed in the 1930s. The bridges over Highfield Avenue reflect this extra
width, although both north and south of the station the alignment narrows
Leisure Centre – indoor sports facilities, run by GLL.
Hospital A small fever hospital
built in 1890 on Renters Lane, adjacent to the Hendon Sewage Works (off a
footpath which is now Hendon Way), replaced in 1929. Replaced by housing
estate. Some of the original wall may remain on the A41
Mural. Painted 2004 by Charlotte Gerrard
where local children drew around one another standing in front of a wall, and
then used different patterns and colours to fill in the outlines
Two storey prefabricated housing built post
war by Austrian prisoners of war captured in the Channel Islands. Later additions after 1945 include shallow
pitched roofs and painted ribbed cladding.
concrete channels along the North Circular
has been speculated this is a remains of the sewage works
An aqueduct used to lie over the Brent
carrying sewage to the works site on the south bank.
An aqueduct ran across the river carrying
waste is said to be seen at the north end of the west car park
authority park with some sports facilities
access road to Brent Cross Shopping Centre. Barnet Borough is twinned with
Built 1993 in Pale brick
Hendon Youth Centre. It looks Like Tesco’s.
by Sleeman & Hoare using the same materials.
Macadam Works. The site became a scrap car
dump. It was the only remains of the gas works built by Midland Railway to
supply Brent Yard
Badsley Ellis. The Hampstead Tube
the Blue Plaques
Cross. Wikipedia Web site
Cross Station. Wikipedia Web site
London. Web site
London Place Names
History. Web site.
of Hendon. Web site.
Borough of Barnet. Web site.
Night and Day
Hendon and Golders Green Past
and Cherry. London North
in Topography. Web site
School. Wikipedia. Web site