Burnt Oak Brook
The Brook flows southwards
Post to the west Edgeware
Post to the north Upper Hale
Post to the east Mill Hill
Post to the south Burnt Oak
Menorah Grammar School. Independent Jewish
secondary school established in 1978. This
is in the buildings of what was Orange Hill Central Schools.
Hill Central Sschools opened in 1932 with a two-storey front range with stone
surrounds to windows and a stone gateway. It became a grammar school in 1948
and from 1965 boys only. It became Orange Hill Senior High School in the early 1970s as a
mixed comprehensive and then merged with Moat Mount School as Mill Hill County
High School to the north of Mill Hill Village.
entrance gate. This is roughly at the point at which the Finsbury Park/Edgware
line crossed the road. Until c.1996 the trackbed to the west of Deans Lane was
known as the 'Mill Hill Old Railway Nature Reserve' and it was possible to walk
to where the viaduct crossed over the Northern Line. There is now a secure
fence and a path which acts as road access to the Northern line dept. Under the
trackbed had been narrowed and now formed a footpath. This now appears blocked with trees and
of the Finsbury Park/Edgware Railway lies behind the houses for much of Deans
Lane and forms a postcode boundary along this section.
Infant and Junior School
Orange Hill Road
Watling Centre. Built for the Watling
Community Association in 1931 by Granville Smartfield. Residents had formed the Watling Association in 1927
and the community centre was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1933 and
continues to function
St. James' Catholic High School. Founded in 1934 by the Dominican
Sisters to provide Catholic secondary education for the children of the
parishes of north-west London. It was then the only mixed non-selective
Catholic school. In 1949 St. Thomas' Independent School in Stanmore was annexed to St.
James' and in 1997 the school was moved to a site in Colindale
Buckle Court. Thus was Orange Hill House Built in 1877 by John
Blundell Maple of the furniture store and later the home of Claude Graham White.
It is in red brick with terracotta and brickwork in the manner of Norman Shaw. It
later became St Rose Convent belonging to
Sisters. In 1931 they opened a school next to the church for boys and girls of
all ages and eventually St James School was built. They also opened a private
school in the convent which was now called St Rose's. The site is now housing.
Lodge and stables by J.G. Buckle, with coloured
and moulded brickwork
The Meads Open Space - Park for the northern
part of the Watling Estate
The Annunciation RC Junior and Infant Schools
Oak Leisure Centre. Run by GLL
from its proximity to Watling Street, the Roman road on the line of the current
Edgware Road (A5). The Watling Estate was built by the London
County Council on the site of Goldbeaters Farm between 1931 and 1939. It had 4,000
houses, only surpassed in size by Becontree. It was laid out under G. Topham
Forrest on garden city principles.
Open space was left and created throughout the Watling
estate. Much of it follows the meandering course of the Burnt Oak Brook, and old
trees from Goldbeaters Farm were kept. Watling Park was park opened in 1931. It
was was landscaped with paths, pedestrian bridges and mature trees
British History. Hendon. Web site.
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names,
Mill Hill County School. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
Smyth. City Wildspace
St.James School. Web site