Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Silk Stream - Burnt Oak

Silk stream
The silk stream flows south east and is joined by a tributary from the north east
TQ 20330 90739

Busy urban area adjacent to the A5.  There are shops and pubs and churches - as well as converted cinemas and a street market


Post to the north Watling Estate
Post to the south Colindale

Barnfield Road
Salvation Army Church. The church was built in 1934.

Burnt Oak Broadway
Mecca Bingo. This was the Savoy Cinema built in 1936 for A. Glassman. The auditorium runs parallel to the Broadway and the entrance block has classical stone dressings surrounding a large window divided by stone pillars. Inside there is a stepped ceiling by George Coles who designed it in an Art Deco style. There were 2,000 seats and the Christie organ was secondhand - from the Rosevale Cinema, Glasgow.London Co-operative Society Store.  It eventually became an Essoldo in 1961 but closed the same year and succumbed to bingo - the first to operate in London.
104 Bald Faced Stag, half-timbered pub with what seems to be a reputation.
Peacocks. This was the Coop’s "finest department store” opened in 1936. Clock on the tower with a plaque
Conways 3.pub

Montrose Avenue
St.Alphage. brick church originating in 1927 and restored in 1952 after war damage. The pulpit comes from St Mark’s, Goodman’s Fields.
Montrose Playing Fields. This was transversed by the Hendon Factory Branch railway. A bridge exists by which it crossed the Northern Line, and it ran to an engine shed and sidings in the south west corner of the park

Silk Stream Road
Barnfield Primary School. Built 1929 Barnfield Senior Boys’ School. In 1964 it moved to a joint school with Brent Secondary Modern School in Sturgess Avenue.  It subsequently became a primary school.
Silk Stream Park. The park is part of the Estate. The park lies on either side of the Silk stream Park with natural landscaping on both banks which feature trees including mature horse chestnut.

Thirlby Avenue
Church of the Annunciation. Roman Catholic Church. Consecrated in 1928. With a dome over the crossing.
The Annunciation Infant School
Goldbeaters Primary School, built 1931.

Watling Avenue
London Transport constructed this as a new road to serve the tube station
Silkstream Parade. These shops were developed in 1929-31 by Burnet Tait & Co. they were thought to be daring at the time.
9 This is where Jack Cohen opened the first ever Tesco store in 1929
Watling Market opened in 1935 with a hundred covered shops and stalls. It now functions with a boot sale.
Burnt Oak Station.  Opened 1924 it lies between Edgware and Colindale on the Northern Line. It was originally built on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, to a rural station design by Stanley Heaps.  It opened as Burnt Oak (Watling) but in 1950 the name was changed to Burnt Oak. Initially it only opened on weekdays.
International Gospel Church formerly Woodcroft Evangelical Church.  Built as a Christian Brethren church in 1927 by Sir John Burnet and paid for by Sir John Laing who had an office at Mill Hill. Laing had a background with the brethren in Carlisle. It stands at a focal point at the main crossroads of the Estate. 
Library. Built 1966 in concrete

Sources
British History. Hendon. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names,
GLIAS Newsletter
International Gospel Church. web site
London Borough of Barnet, Web site
London Gardens Online, Web site
Middlesex Churches,
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Shady Old Lady.  Web site

No comments: