Stream flows south eastwards
TQ 20548 89781
Busy area along the Edgeware Road including many historic aircraft manufacturing sites
Post to the north Burnt Oak
Post to the east Colindale
By 1920 AIRCO had premises here
The road is made up of trading units and superstores. The area was previously
covered by factories
Carlisle Road was built in the 1930s on land used for industry since before the
Great War, when it was the northern boundary of the area used by AIRCO.
Peerless and Ericsson. This company made coffee grinders,
potato peeling machines, dough kneaders, sausage fillers etc. They became part
of Baker Perkins in the 1930s but appear to have been here from the late
Nigel Fredericks, Butchery business which began elsewhere in the 1890s.
Café de Carriage – café designed as a green double decker bus
Bosch. The company made grinders here in the 1960s
Scintilla Ltd. The British division of this Swiss company was based here 1930s-1950s
making electrical equipment, mainly for aircraft and specialising in magnetos
Products Ltd. Founded in 1928 moved here from Camden Town in 1936. In 1965 it became
Acorn Aluminium Products and closed in 1968. They made a large range of
anodized and Electro-metallurgical products
Cork Company Limited.
This American based multi-national had its Ceiling Systems Department
here in the 1960s. The factory was on the north side of the road
Engineering Co. Ltd. This company based here in the 1930s and early 1940s handled agencies
for machine tools, etc.
Works. Owned by John Cox this works was here in the 1960s making specialist
fireproof cloths for aircraft seats, etc.
(Sports and Games) Ltd. This company had works here from the 1930s -1960s making a wide range
of items from the Kay Chemistry Outfits, to sports equipment specialising in
Dart Boards. Still there in the 1960s with a factory on the south side of the
Paragon. They opened their packaging division, factory and offices here in
1969, moving from another factory site nearby.
and Edgecumbe Instrument Works. Although Cecil Road is given as the address of
this works which stood on the south side of the road the works also fronted
onto Colindeep Lane.they built their first monoplane in 1910 and effectively founded Hendon airfield.
In Cecil Road they made specialist electrical instrumentation – now collector’s
Developments. Made plastic processing machinery.
Chandos Pub. Prominent building with a ‘Tudor style’ façade. Closed.
Parisian Motor Company Ltd. Repair Works. They were agents for Hotchkiss and
Delage cars and in 1914 had their Motor Works here. In 1916 it became the
London and Provincial Aeroplane works who used designer Anthony Fletcher. . By
1921, their premises were occupied by the Hendon Jig & Tool Company
Hendon Electric Supply Co. this is a brick building with the name on a plaque above the first
floor. There are houses built at the back in what was the yard
Seahorse Furniture and some offices.
Jain Centre. This has been refurbished to include a carved
wooden temple with semi structured idols and a Community Hall, Seminar Room,
Offices and ancillary facilities. It is an old factory building.
Park – on the site of the Everett and Edgecumbe Works in Cecil Road
Chestnuts – new housing on the site of a house of that name
319 Dagenham Motors. Motor showrooms on the site of the Desoutter factory built in 1998.
Desoutter Brothers. Desoutter was set up in 1914 to manufacture artificial limbs. This was
started after Marcel Desoutter lost his leg in an accident. In the course of
this a pneumatic drill was developed. By the 1920s a range of pneumatic power
tools had been developed and Desoutter took over a company manufacturing
electric power tools. Moving to Colindale, in 1924 where they had an art deco
factory. By the 1980s they had many foreign subsidiaries. They were sold to Air
Power Tools in the 1990s. The factory was demolished and is now a car showroom.
However they seem to maintain some sort of presence at that address
Southon House. Headquarters building of MFI furniture group
Oriental City. This was a shopping centre specialising
in oriental goods and restaurants. It had been set up as Yaohan Shopping Centre
but the parent body became bankrupt and it was sold to Malaysian owners who
renamed it. It closed in 2006 and the site redeveloped.
508 Merit House, tower block and offices on the site of the tram depot.
AIRCO. The Aircraft Manufacturing Co. Ltd.,
had been formed by George Holt Thomas in 1912. At first they built French
Farman designs under licence, but in 1914 Geoffrey de Havilland became their
chief designer and after that their aircraft were De Havilland DH1, DH2 etc. AIRCO produced thousands of aircraft for the
British military during Great War. In 1914 AIRCO were on the east, side
of the road. There was an expansion to meet increased War Office orders around
1917 and by 1919 had all the area between Hay Lane and Carlisle Road, plus part
of the grounds of Grove House. By the Armistice the workforce had grown to 4,400
and the factory area had increased seven-fold and it was advertised
in 1918 as the largest aircraft company in the world. They established the
first airline in the United Kingdom, Aircraft Transport and Travel Limited, as
a subsidiary. The original AIRCO hangar covered six acres with 15 acres of land. There
aircraft were built for the R.F.C., Royal Navy, and R.A.F. Behind it were other
hangars which were still there in 1922. The Edgware Road factory covered
six-acres. AIRCO could not adjust to peacetime production and by 1919 the
company was in trouble. It was bought by the Birmingham Small Arms Company
Limited in 1920, manufacturers of cars and bicycles as well as firearms – but
they were not interested in making aircraft when they discovered how bad the
AIRCO’s finances really were. Geoffreyde Havilland
bought the assets he needed and set up his own company in 1920
Motors. William Beardmore Company was a Glasgow based engineering company
active in many feeds from the mid-1880s. In
1919 they had set up a motor vehicle manufacturing arm. In 1929, Beardmore
Motors was bought out by its directors, and taxi production moved to Hendon
where a line of taxis was introduced and manufactured. In 1956 production moved
Beis Yaakov Primary School. This
is a voluntary-aided primary school, for girls aged 3 to 11 from Orthodox
Jewish families. It is the largest Jewish primary school for girls in the
country. It was set up in 1972 to serve the Cheredi community and was then in
Finchley Road. It is maintained by the London Borough of Barnet although it is
actually in Brent. The building was previously known as Kilburn Polytechnic Annexe but was in fact the
former headquarters of AIRCO. The office building dates from about 1914 when
Holt Thomas embarked on a big expansion. Before being taken over by the
Polytechnic the building was used for a mixed secondary school, Kingsbury
County, which had been adapted in 1925
Daimler was always independent of the German company and from 1910 were part of
Birmingham Small Arms. After BSA took over AIRCO there was an attempt to extend
Daimler’s car hire business into air hire– The Daimler Air Way - but using
Croydon Airport. This eventually became part of Imperial Airways of which it
formed the basis. In Colindale their works were south of the former AIRCO
hangar on the corner of Grove Lane.
Davies Tyre Works. Davies were on the site on the south side of the road immediately
south of Colindeep Lane. They had originated in 1880 as a bicycle maker, S. T.
Davies & Co. After the Great War they concentrated on wholesaling imported
tyres and then sold tyres made elsewhere but 1924 branded “Davies" and
this continued. Their range consisted of Davies car, giant and motor cycle
covers and tubes and also in retreads
Frigidaire. This is an
American firm, a division of General Motors. Their UK operation started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road,
employing 11 people in 1923. They sold the first fridges in England. They took
over some of the site on the west side of the road in 1931.
Motors Limited. They acquired the freehold, from the War Department in 1928. This was
land used by Lamson Paragon Supply Company Limited, formerly owned by Thrupp
and Maberley plus land owned by the Royal Dental Hospital and the Daimler
Company. What had been the No.1 Aircraft Salvage Depot - the northernmost
factory on the west side of the road, built in 1917, became General Motors
assembly plant in 1923 onwards. They opened a branch with 6 employees in 1923,
making vehicles which included assembly of Chevrolet
vehicles, for which a specialist plant was set up here. They assembled a
1-ton Chevrolet truck here to avoid paying import duty. Chassis parts came from
Canada and assembled into using a range of bodies from local manufacturers.
American practices of standardised manufacture meant that unskilled labour was
used. After taking over Vauxhall in 1928 some work moved to Luton
Page. Had a temporary factory in this area near the AIRCO works in 1915
where the first large bomber made in England was constructed and towed to the
airfield along Colindale Avenue.
Bros. and Hedges, Reinforced Plastics. Took over the Lamson Paragon
factory in 1959
Paragon. This firm took over Thrupp & Maberly's premises in 1920. They had
been set up in the City of London in 1886 as the Paragon Check Book Co. The
Hendon factory opened in 1922 as Papercraft Works, making bags and wrappings
but after the Second World War, production moved to West Hartlepool and the
offices moved to Carlisle Road in 1969
Benz House. Centre for Smart Car dealership
Nevett Bookbinding Co. The Company had been set up in the City in the 18th and had
pioneered a number of bookbinding techniques.
Telephone & Electric Works, which started in 1912 in Cricklewood, became the
War Department signal factory, and moved to Kingsbury in the early 1920s. At
its height it employed 1,600 workers but there were only 1,000at the factory's
closure in 1968-9. They were on both sides of Grove Lane in old AIRCO premises.
Om one side was an old AIRCO hangar. They began to make telephone
apparatus and other electrical and mechanical domestic appliances plus tinsel
as a component of telephone cords. In the 1960s the Post Office was their single
Shoelands Farm. This was owned by All Souls College Oxford but in industrial use from
T. F. Bristow and Co.
Soap and shampoo factory here in the 1950s. The firm was founded in the 18th
and later became part of Smith Kline. It was on the east side of the road
and Maberly Limited. This firm built motor bodies at Shoelands Farm. In 1920, they moved to
Acton and later became a Rootes' subsidiary.
Trolleybus Depot. This was on the site of what is now Merit House and had been the
Metropolitan Electric Tramways Hendon Depot –
the name was changed to Colindale Depot in 1950 to avoid confusion with Hendon
bus garage. It has been converted to trolleybus use in 1936 but in 1910 it had
been where the first British trials of a trolleybus were held. It has been
intended to convert all tram routes to trolleybuses but the war intervened and
motor buses were used instead. It was closed and demolished in 1962. Land
behind the depot was used from 1959 to 1962 by the George Cohen 600 Group for
scrapping the trolleybus fleet.
Turnpike marker. This was south of the junction
with The Greenway. It was placed on the Edgware - Kilburn Turnpike, which had
opened in 1711. It is in cast iron and marked ‘Hendon Parish’.
The road evolved from a new road which followed the line of a footpath to Grove
House and which ran from the main entrance to AIRCO. AIRCO had acquired the
Grove Park Estate along Stag Lane to increase production around 1917.
Park – small local park with The Bungalow which is part of Grove Park
School., this was Westfield College Athletic Ground – previously the Royal
Dental Hospital Sports Ground
House. This stood south of Shoelands Farm, on the west side of the road. It
was a nursing home in 1906 but had been the home of Field Marshall Lord
Roberts. It was requisitioned by AIRCO to create a take-off field. It was
bought by Hendon Council in 1934, demolished, and the grounds became Grove
Park. In 1914 there was a private road from Edgware Road to the house and another
roadway going to Stag Lane from it which became Grove Park Road.
Village School. This is a merger between Grove Park Special School and Hay Lane School
with new buildings on the Grove Park site. Grove
Park School was built in the late 1960 by Brent Council as a school for
physically disabled children. There is a swimming pool here as there was at
Kitchens – this factory is in the remaining buildings of the AIRCO factory.
Sebastian and St Pancras Roman Catholic Church. In 1924 a cottage and field next to
Haydon House as a camping ground for the Westminster Cathedral boy scouts. A
church was built there in 1925 - St. Sebastian and St. Pancras, are the patron
saints of scout officers and cadets. In 1930 and subsequently the church was
Father O’Callaghan Centre
Lane School. This was built in the late
1960s by the Department of Health for children with severe learning
difficulties. In the early 1970s the council took over Hay Lane School
shed. This remains from the Hendon Factory Branch railway from the Midland
Main Line.’ This terminated in a fan of sidings on Edgware Road just north of
the Tramway Depot.
Green Garden Village lies behind the AIRCO buildings, between Stag and Bacon Lanes and was
completed in 1920. As a Garden Village it was built on old farm land to house
the hundreds of factory workers. In 1916, the Office of Works commissioned its principal architect, Frank
Baines, to design an estate of cottages for aircraft workers. Roe Green was
based on his office’s design for Woolwich Well Hall Estate built for Arsenal
works. This was next to the General Motors site in land owned by All Souls
College. It was built in 1904 by Kingsbury Urban District Council on Stratford
Long, east of the road. The site was sold in 1925
Roberts Court. Site of Amy Johnson’s house was where Stag and Hay Lanes meet
Library. This is now
used by the Brent Park pupil referral service
The Brent Sikh Centre,
founded in 1995 in a church hall in Edgware. They bought a coal depot/junkyard
from the council in 1995 opened a new centre there.
Kinnor Jewish Youth and Community Centre
the coachbuilders were in a short road named after them off Edgware
Road. They claimed to go back to a Bartholomew Windover who was a 17th
saddler in Devon. By the late 185y the family had a coach building business in
Grantham and Huntingdon. In the mid-19th they built a two wheeled
horse drawn vehicle and were established Coachbuilders. In 1910 they made their
first body for a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. After the Second World War they made
bodies for passenger coaches some of the first models were used for coach tours
abroad. In the 1950s they made fire engines including the "Green Goddess.
Hey also made the bodies for the Beardmore taxis. In 1956, the company closed
Armstrong Cork. Web site
British History. Kingsbury. Web site
Competition Commission Reports
Daimler History. Web site
Davies. British Airways
DistrictDave. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Flight Archive. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Nigel Fredericks. Web site
Renwick. RAF Hendon
William Beardmore Co. Wikipedia Web
Windovers. Web site.