Friday, 31 August 2012

Folly Brook - Holcombe Hill

Folly Brook.
Folly Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards

Post to the north May's Lane
Post to the south Mill Hill
Post to the east Totteridge Fields

Folly Brook
The brook marks the boundary between the parishes of Hendon and Totteridge. Until 1965 Hendon was in Middlesex and Totteridge in Hertfordshire and so the brook formed the boundary between the two counties

Highwood Hill
Stone milestone. This is said to be 30 yards west of the junction with Hendon Wood Lane and could date from Telford's survey and was said to be erected in 1752. Said to have the word ‘London’ engraved on it.
Edgehill Manor. Large mansion of 1910.
Mote End Farm Entrance

Holcombe Dale
The Folly Brook rises from a pond near here

Holcombe Hill
The Old Forge, which dates from before 1839 is on the Lawrence Street side of the hill. There are two cottages with the Forge between them. Alongside the road, the cottage ground floor bells out into a building which appears to have been a shop of something similar. They overlook a small green.
The Plough, a small weather boarded inn which existed in 1751 and was on the Lawrence Street side of the hill. Demolished in 1931.
St.Mary’s Abbey Lodge
St Mary and St Francis. Houses which were part of St Mary’s Abbey in plain weatherboarding

The Ridgeway
Holcombe House. This was used as  part of St.Mary's School but is now private housing. It is a stuccoed brick villa, built in 1775-8 by John Johnson for John William Anderson, a glove merchant and Lord Mayor in 1797.  In 1866 it was acquired by Herbert Vaughan, later Cardinal, for St Joseph's College. In 1881 it passed to Franciscan nuns for use as St. George's school, a small boarding establishment for girls, in 1879 and a wing was built for the school in institutional Tudor, by F. W. Tasker. In 1977 it was bought by the Missionary Institute, London and a wing was built for them in 1978 by A F. Peel of the City Design Group. The house is set behind gate piers with fluted vases. Inside is a cantilevered staircase with wrought- iron balustrades. One room has a ceiling with figures of Eros, Muse of Tragedy, and a Priestess and another has figures of the Muses, attributed to Angelica Kauffman.
Nuns' Cemetery in the grounds of Holcombe House
Grecian temple. Folly in the grounds of Holcombe House. Late 18th. Small circular domed temple with 'Tower of the Winds' capitals to the columns... 
St. Mary's Abbey school.  In 1902 the nuns took over a building which from 1871 had been St. Margaret's Industrial School for 100 Roman Catholic girls from London workhouses. The architects were Goldie and Child and it is in brick with a protruding staircase tower on the front. Now flats.
St Francis Chapel. This was built as the original chapel to the school in 1888-9 by Goldie, Child and Goldie in brick. Inside are the original nuns' stalls and organ. In the stained glass window along with the evangelists is Mother Mary Francis who founded the school
Belmont, Mill Hill Junior School. Mill Hill School opened Belmont Junior House in 1912.  A classroom block was built in 1919, and was extended in 1925. The cloister block, completing the playground quadrangle was built in 1928 and the masters' hostel, enabling all staff to live in was finished in 1929. The swimming-pool was built in 1933 and the chapel, which acquired its own organ, was finished in 1925.  A decision to integrate girls into the school was made in 1995.
Belmont. The house was built by James Paine in the late 1760's for Peter Hammond, a brewer and Lord Mayor. It is a substantial designed with some eccentricities. On the first floor the iron balustrade of the cantilevered staircase becomes a gallery. It houses the function rooms and main reception area, staff rooms and the Head and her staff's offices.
Chapel. Built in 1924-5- with a sober classical interior where morning assemblies take place.
Old Chapel – said to have been built as a Gothic dairy. It was used as a shelter for the Home guard on night duty during the Second World War. It is now an office
Lodge.  Small stuccoed
School Buildings built 1919 onwards, the earliest block later converted to an assembly hall. The other buildings are by C.S. Soutar., 1923.
Cricket Pavilion on the playing field. Swimming pool pavilion now used as changing rooms and the site of the outdoor swimming pool now used as a car park.

Totteridge Common

47, 49, 51 62 51A, 51b Fairlawn. The original house was arranged as wings around an open courtyard. In 1903 it was bought by Sir Charles Allen, an interior designer specialising in ocean-going liners, and the interiors are probably by him. It is now divided.
53 The Lynch House, Built 1905 by T E Collcutt. Large stucco house.

Sources
Aldous. London Villages
Belmont School web site
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Smyth Citywildspace
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Village London

Dollis Brook - Totteridge Lane

Dollis Brook,
Dollis Brook flows southwards

Post to the north Dollis Brook Valley
Post to the west Totteridge Green
Post to the south Woodside Park

Laurel Way
Named for Laurel Farm

Northiam
Totteridge Union URC church

Southover
Woodridge Primary School. The school built in 1967, with classrooms designed around a central courtyard to give maximum light and space on all sides.

Totteridge Green
A large informal triangle of land.  Registered under the Commons Preservation Act of 1965. It consists of grassland, with areas of woodland including oak, horse chestnut, ash, beech, crack-willow and weeping willow. In the centre is an oak which is said to have been planted in the 18th by Sir Peter Meyer, a Dutch merchant who lived at Poynters Grove, Totteridge. It is thought he caused four ponds to be dug and 186 trees planted.
Totteridge Cricket Club. This dates from 2008 as result of a merger between Totteridge Cricket Club founded 1881 and Old Millhillians Cricket Club founded 1878. The present field has been occupied since 1924, and Barnet Urban District Council bought the land just before the War, granting the Club a lease.  The pavilion was opened in 1959.
Laurel Farm. 17th timber framed farm house with an original entrance door.
Laurel Farm Barn. Converted 18th timber framed barn .Now studios
Laurel Farm Pond.  The only surviving pond on the green, of what may at one time have been fourteen.
Home Farm. 17th Timber framed farmhouse with an early brick chimney
Strathearn Cottages. Pair of 19th brick cottages. Painted white with brick arches over the windows.
The Croft. House by T. E. Collcutt built in 1895. His style was a simplified and more relaxed version of Norman Shaw's early work. It consists of three brick ranges around a court plus a little half-timbering. There is a verandah on the garden front inside is some pretty plasterwork and De Morgan tiles. Behind are the remains of a formal garden with a sculpture of a triton by Henry Pegram.  
Fairspier. Similar idiom to The Croft this is a small roughcast house built in 1899 by Collcutt
Grace Court. Flats in a house which was originally called Strathearn and subsequently it became Consolata College.  It was designed by Colcutt, in 1898-9.
Smithy House – on the site of the 19th blacksmiths

Totteridge Lane
Built up in the 17th.
Trevanion by Norman Shaw, 1883-4,
Totteridge Library. Closed and the site sold, since demolished

Totteridge Village
Pointers Grove. This was at the junction with Totteridge Green and Totteridge Lane, on the north side. Some of the garden wall survives in Totteridge Village. This mansion house was home to a number of distinguished people, finally members of the Harmsworth family
Old House.  Plain 18th house with a tall porch with two thin columns.

Whetstone Stray
Area of allotments

Willow End
The end of the road is near the cricket ground

Woodside Grange Road
Finchley Catholic High School.  The school has been here since 1928. It was founded in 1926 by Canon Clement Henry Parsons who was parish priest of St. Alban’s Roman Catholic Church, Nether Street. He founded the Challoner School and St. Alban's Catholic Preparatory School. In 1971 Finchley Catholic Grammar School and the Challoner School, merged. Canon Parsons began a collection in 1928 to fund he school and produced enough money to purchase. Woodside Grange. Care of the house and grounds were being split between the Governors, the Local Authority and the Archdiocese of Westminster.
White House. The school buildings are grouped around the White House which is a stucco-Gothic villa also called Woodside Grange, built between c. 1885 and 1894.It is battlemented, with a stair-tower rising , Inside is an Entrance hall with marble paving, staircase behind with good iron balustrade. In 1972 the house was briefly delisted but following a parliamentary question listing was restored.
Lodge. Mid 19th gatehouse in Gothic Style.

Sources
British Listed Buildings web site
Finchley Roman Catholic High School Wikipedia web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Gardens web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Walford. Village London
Woodridge Primary School website

Thursday, 30 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Whetstone

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook flows southwards

Post to the east Oakleigh Park
Post to the west Dollis Brook Valley
Post to the south Totteridge Lane

Allum Way
Alongside the railway this car parking area covers the old goods yard of Totteridge and Whetstone Station and leads to warehouses and offices. At one time Northern Cottages stood at the end.

Athenaeum Road
Developed by the Whetstone Freehold Estate Company from 1869 on the site of Matthews’s farm .
The Athenaeum Institute opened in 1881 with a grand concert.  It was developed by George Waterlow of the printing family and was opened in what were converted barns. In 1883 musicians and gymnasts still performed there but by 1887 it was in decline and in 1906 was a photographic studio. This was probably the site on which Birt Acres worked on developing early cinematographic equipment. It was still a factory in the 1950s having been used by a dry cleaning company
St Mary Magdalene. Roman Catholic church. A church was on this site by 1925 and run by the Fathers of Sion until 1973. In 1930 a larger church was built here and the original church used as the church hall and was still on site in in 1975. The current red brick church was consecrated in 1958.

Chandos Avenue
Part of the estate of the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos sold in 1892 and still only partly developed 1920.
Dame Alice Owen’s Ground. This used to belong to the Dame Alice Owen School in Islington from where students had get to the playing fields by public transport. The 10-acre site featured an Edwardian style red brick pavilion and a groundsman’s house. When the schools moved to Potters Bar the ground was sold to the London Borough of Barnet as a public facility.

High Road
The old Great North Road
1225 Barnet House. Borough offices built 1966 and designed by Seifert
1262 Griffin. This was there in 1697. The road widens in front of it to allow for coaches to stop. It is a red-brick   Georgian building of two storeys, rebuilt c. 1929 and next to a plain two-storeyed late-18th house. In the 18th it was made up of three properties from 1739 and in 1837 sold to Meux, brewers. Outside it is a stone which could have been the base of a cross but which was later used as a mounting block
1264 owned in the 15th by the Sanny family.  It had become The Griffin by the 17th but part was operated as a shop from the 19th including the post office. In the 20th it was used as a photographic studio and Pizza Express from 1998.
1266 Pilgrim offices. Owned by the Foxe family in 1484 and some wattle and daub remains in the attic.  In the 17th it became a pub called the Fox Inn, and later became the Crown. By 1849 it had become two shops.
1277 The Bull and Butcher. This is now used as a bar called iBar.  The site was first mentioned in 1375 and the pub has also been called the Princes Arms and the Black Lion in 1675. The present pub was built in 1928.
1308 Green Man. This was The Lion in 1636, which had been there since at least 1521. It later became the Green Man. It is an imposing building, rebuilt in 1830, of red brick in three narrow storeys. It is now a tyre depot and shops
1331 Ivy House.  17th house.
1339 The Limes.  18th house in brick and in use as offices.  On a drain pipe are the intials of Richard and Elizabeth Bridgemour.
1432 Blue Anchor
1446 Travel Lodge and Halfords, Built 2010 on the site of the Black Bull. The pub had dated from at least 1800 but had been rebuilt.  It had a dance hall behind and was used as a training area for boxers.

Oakleigh Park North.
Developed by the Whetstone Freehold Estate Company from 1869
13 This was at one time the Russian News Agency Tass and their radio monitoring station 1941-1951. The house was built in 1871 for Alfred Smith who called it The Cottage. In 1926 it was known as The Lodge. After Tass moved out it reverted to private ownership. It was demolished before 1970 and replaced by two houses. .
19 Tower House. This was an Admiralty base used for keeping an eye on the Russians at no.13. It is said that this is where Rudolf Hess was brought. It was built in 1871 for Benjamin Looker who opened a boys' school there and who doubled the size of it. It was still St Andrews school in 1939 but was requisitioned by Friern Barnet Council for use as an auxiliary fire station and  garages were built at the back for two fire pumps and two lorries. 33 firemen were stationed here as well as a one station commander, four watch commanders and 28 firefighters. The ARP was also housed here and in 1940 the basement was strengthened, presumably to act as an air raid shelter. In 1942, parts of the building it were taken over by the National Blood Transfusion service which led to huge filing systems throughout the building, including the basement. A small laboratory was also built - which was demolished in August 1994.

Sources
British History, Friern Barnet web site
Closed pubs web site
Heathfield. Finchley and Whetstone Past
London Borough of Barnet web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Smyth. Citywildspace,
Stevenson. Middlesex

Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Dollis Brook Valley

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook flows south and east
TQ255941

Posh area with open space around the Dollis Brook


Post to the north Pricklers Hill
Post to the east Whetstone
Post to the south Totteridge Lane

Brook Farm Open Space
This is an open grassland corridor, with damp grass flood plain meadows. Hedgerows and grasslands are managed under a traditional 'cut and lift' management regime. By Barnet Council with The 'Friends of Brook Farm Open Space'. The Dollis Valley Green Walk passes through it.

Great Bushey Drive
Totteridge Tennis Club “Situated in the leafy suburbs, it is the home of North London Tennis”

Links Drive
South Hertfordshire Golf Club. This is said to have been founded because those in Muswell Hill and Hampstead clubs could not play on Sundays. In 1899 the Committee and members of Muswell Hill Golf Club where the grounds belonged to the church, faced the prospect of being expelled from their grounds and clubhouse. It was decided to find a new ground. It was agreed to buy this piece which was then just within Hertfordshire. However Muswell Hill Golf Club was not expelled and remains today. The new course and clubhouse opened in 1900/1901.

Wyatts Farm Open Space

Sources
Brook Farm Open Space web site
Totteridge Tennis Club web site
South Hertfordshire Golf Club web site

Dollis Brook - Pricklers Hill

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook flows south eastwards

Post to the west Underhill
Post to the south Dollis Brook Valley

Barnet Hill
From the Old Red Lion up to High Barnet the original road was rather south main of the present line. In the 1820s the road was rebuilt and the gradient lessened. This was according to plans of Mr. Telford and the effects of these improvements may be seen in the embanked approach to Barnet. 
Old road – the line of the pre-Telford hill can be seen in the green area on west side of the road.  It was possible to make out vestiges of the former road until the 1950s.
The Michaelmas Horse Fair was held on both sides of the long embankment; once described as 'three days of pandemonium' it is now a quieter affair, banished to a less busy area.
Railway Bridge. The railway is now the Northern Line to High Barnet. At the point where the railway crosses the road, the embankment is at its most spectacular. 

Barnet Lane
Barnet Playing Fields laid out in 1926
Underhill Stadium. The ground was opened in September 1907 and is the home of Barnet Football Club and also used for Arsenal Football Club reserve games. When it was opened, it was the ground of Barnet Alston and after the Great War they used the name Barnet Football Club

Fairfield Way
Barnet Fair moved to this area in the late 1920s

Gloucester Road
Barnet Lawn Tennis club. With eight courts. This was previously Gloucester Road Lawn Tennis Club

Grasvenor Avenue
This was part of a piece of land called Sherrard’s, possibly after an early owner. In 1602 when the Leathersellers’ Company purchased 66 acres of land here. Half of the money came from Elizabeth Grasvenor, and the other half came from Richard Rogers. They made up the Rogers and Grasvenor Trust, which is still administered by the Leathersellers Company.  The Leathersellers’ Company used money from the sale of Elizabeth Grasvenor's property to buy the land so the rents could be used for charitable purposes connected with the company. The Trust’s income was used for a variety of charitable causes, which continues today
Grasvenor Avenue Infant School.  The school was built in 1938 on land loaned by the Leathersellers Livery Company to the then Hertfordshire Local Authority,
Ravenscroft Cottages. The Jesus Hospital Charity was founded in 1679 by James and Mary Ravenscroft. The original endowment, provided six almshouses for “poor and ancient women” and the Charity now has 54 almshouses in the Chipping Barnet area.

Greenhill Park
The road covers the area of some of Greenhill Park, which was an estate here, originally Pricklers, but known as Greenhill Gardens from the 16th.  The estate was sold for development in 1926 after the death of Emma Hasluck.
Telford’s work on the Great North Road  included embankments on this stretch to smooth out the slope towards Underhill. The embankment is evident here and particularly in the houses on the eastern side of the road.

Ivere Drive
Holbein Terrace. Built on site of railway electricity sub station.

Leicester Road
Highland Gardens, This was the gardens of Highlands House – now the site of flats in Abbotts Road.  It was owned by Bevan Braithwaite who designed the gardens and it was left to the people of Barnet in the 1930s.  It had 19th water features, and rare trees were planted. There is now a wild flower meadow in the flat grass area above the source of a stream and local people have developed a tree trail.
Greenhill New Church. Swedenborgian church. This was set up by the North Finchley Society of the New Church which began in 1787 in Eastcheap. They later moved to Cross Street, where a stone was laid in 1796. A plaque from this is displayed in the church.

Potters Lane
The clay in the area was good for pottery and the lane is called after this industry and has had the name since before 1240

Pricklers Hill - Great North Road
This stretch is Pricklers Hill – this was named for the Prittle family who lived nearby and owned land here. In the early 19th the road ran along the Whetstone ridge, descended near the county boundary and rose again near todays Western Parade. it dropped at Mays Lane and then it began a long ascent up to the town. Telford raised an embankment here to smooth out the slope down to Underhill. The land, on which houses are now built, falls away on both sides of the road along this stretch and the embankment itself is quite clear.
A stream which flowed from the Greenhill House lakes into Dollis Brook and was diverted into a drain during Telford’s work on the road.
Greenhill Gardens is a small public park which is the part of an estate known as Pricklers, named for the Prittle family. The estate was renamed Greenhill Gardens in the 16th developed for housing in the 20th. In 1926 the area was bought by East Barnet Council as a public park. There is an ornamental lake which attracts many birds, and it also has a grassed area with scattered mature trees. It is also a nature reserve.
Queens Arms. Old pub site although the building is clearly more recent.
Weavers Bar. Pub in shop premises on the parade
Meadow Works. Trading estate and light industry on what was the site of Whelm Cottage or Elm Farm.
Lodge to Greenhill House was on the corner of Lyonsdown

Railway line
The line was built in 1872 and goes up the side of the Dollis Valley. It crosses the site of the old horse race track from Barnet Fair

Station Road
Fire Station. this fire station was built in 1992, replacing one built in 1901. There is a drill tower and a facility for the ambulance service

Underhill
Old Red Lion. Opened at some time in the 1720s. because of the steepness of the hill the pub Red Lion would provide coaches with an extra pair of horses - called a Hercules pair.

Western Parade
The Odeon Theatre. This opened in 1935 designed by architect Edgar Simmons. It was originally built for the County Cinemas circuit and was taken over by Odeon during construction. It is still in use as a cinema and is now a listed building. It is a brick clad Steel frame building with a sheet metal roof. It’s ‘Moorish-style' front is flanked by brick towers . Inside is an Art Deco auditorium,

Sources

British Listed buildings
Bygone Barnet web site
Cinema Theatre Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures web site
Field. London Place Names
Grasvenor Avenue Infants School web site
Jesus Charity web site
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Underhill Stadium Wikipedia web site
Walford. Village London
Webster. Great North Road

Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Underhill

Dollis Brook
The Brook continues to flow eastwards

Post to the west Wellhouse
Post to the east Pricklers Hill

Alan Drive
East Barnet Old Grammarians Club. This is the sports and old pupils club of what was East Barnet Grammar School which is now East Barnet School. The Association dates from 1941 with several sections including football, hockey and archery as well as music appreciation societies and a rambling club. Today it has a football section, a golf society and a freemason's lodge. The Ludgrove Club is also on site.

Barnet Lane
Barnet Table Tennis Centre. This dates from 1969,
King George V Playing Fields. In 1936 the King George’s Fields Foundation was established to fund playing fields. The fields in Barnet Lane were originally 93 acres and the third largest but less than a fifth of the original size remains. There used to be two stone plinths at the entrance to the field, but these were vandalised and removed.
Stables Horse Activity Centre. Set up in 1993 to provide horse related activity for all groups of young people.

Dollis Valley Way
The estate was built on the site of the Barnet Urban District Council sewage works, opened in 1874
The Rainbow Centre. Community Centre and ‘Hub’
Valley Centre. Community Centre

Elton Avenue
Underhill Baptist Church. The Church was dedicated in 1936.

Hammond Close
Barnet Hill Junior Mixed School and Nursery School. The school is now closed

Mays Lane
The fields to the north were the site of the traditional horse fair
Underhill Infant School. Built 1934
Underhill Junior School. Built 1934
Barnet South Community Centre

Sources
Barnet Table Tennis Centre web site
Field. London Place Names
Hertfordshire Churches
King George Playing Fields. Wikipedia web site
London Borough of Barnet web site
Old Grammarians website
Stables Horse Activity Centre web site
The Rainbow Centre web site
Underhill Baptist Church web site

Monday, 27 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Wellhouse

Dollis Brook
Dollis Brook flows north and east

Post to the north Barnet
Post to the south Totteridge Common
Post to the east Underhill

Bells Hill
St Stephen. Built as a mission church 1896
St Stephen’s Social Club

Chesterfield Road
The area around the junction with Mays Lane was Ducks Island. And is marked as such on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887. It is near the Dollis Brook and the name should be self-explanatory – or is the stream too small a trickle for ducks - or did people shoot the ducks – or was there a local farmer called Duck.

Connaught Road
Council estate from the 1850s

Darlands Drive
St Stephen's Hospital. This opened as The Barnet Infectious Diseases Hospital in 1907, for patients with diphtheria and scarlet fever. It was managed by a Hospital Committee with representatives from Barnet Urban District Council, East Barnet Valley Urban District Council and Barnet Rural District Council. In 1917 its name changed to Barnet Rural District and Urban District and East Barnet Valley Urban District Isolation Hospital. In 1939 a new one-storey buildings, had new wards, offices, a laundry and an extension to the Nurses' Home. In 1939, the hospital had 60 beds but penicillin and sulphonamide drugs made isolation hospitals obsolete and it closed on the introduction of the NHS in 1948. Barnet Group Hospital Management Committee took it over in 1948 as an annexe to Wellhouse Hospital naming it St Stephen's after the local church. Initially it dealt with ear, nose and throat patients opened, post-operative female patients and long-stay elderly male patients and by the mid 1966s most patients were elderly long stay. The Hospital closed in 1989 and was demolished in 1999. 

Ridgeview Close
Grange Playing Fields. Let to AC Finchley.

Well Approach
Physic Well, Timber framed building covering a well. This was built about 1937 with herringbone brick and plaster panels. This put up by Barnet Surveyor's Department in 1937, when the area was surrounded by council housing. The well itself was discovered circa 1650. In 1656 the parish, who owned it, had a well house built, and appointed a keeper. Under the well house and there is the original 17th barrel vaulted brick well chamber reached by a flight of stone steps, with brick floor and two shallow pools. It was arched over and given a pump in 1808.  This was a fashionable place for Londoners to try the medicinal qualities of the mineral waters, and this included Samuel Pepys. The water was bottled and sold in London.

Whitings Road

Semi detached houses laid out in the 1930s on the site of Whitings Hill Farm
Whitings Hill Primary School. Dates from the 1960s and recently rebuilt.

Sources
British Listed Buildings web site
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Barnet web site
Lost Hospitals web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Smyth. Citywildspace
Whitings Hill School web site

Dollis Brook - Totteridge Common

Dollis Brook
Dollis Brook flows north east

Post to the west Mays Lane
Post to the north Wellhouse
Post to the south Totteridge Fields

Horseshoe Lane

Totteridge Common
4 Cottage by the gate of Loxwood. Early 19th Strawberry Hill  Gothic
11 Longbourne. Built 1973 by L. R. Harbinson, tucked into the slope, with a staircase drum as a feature of the entrance courtyard
24-28 The Paddocks. Collcutt added this very pretty stable courtyard to big house, with cupola reused from the house and timber arcade. 18th house altered and rebuilt in 19th but there are some original features. Red brick and doorway with keystone dated 1750, There
are also rainwater hoppers dated 1750. Home of Baron Bunsen 1848-9.

Totteridge Park. This is the one surviving older mansion, now subdivided into flats. It is basically 18th but substantially altered. Rainwater heads give the date of 1750. 18th walled garden
Stable block of Totteridge Park. By T. E Collcutt 1900 in red brick with a simple covered way across the front and a clock turret.
Mound in the garden of the Park which it is claimed covers the bodies and weapons from the Battle of Barnet.
31 Ellern Meade. Designed 1876-7 by Norman Shaw for William Austin. Old English with lower service wing plus tall chimneys. Nursing Home.
38 Willow House. This was formerly Denham Farm House.  18th painted brick front on an earlier timber-framed house,
55-57 The Lynch House. By T. E. Collcutt, 1905-7. Rendered, with windows of every shape
56 West End House.  Early 19th with timber framing.
Redings. 1961-2 by Boissevain & Osmond, a low brick house with fully glazed main rooms.
Montebello. Designed by Philip Jebb
Telephone kiosk No. 4a with posting box and stamp vending machine in the rear Carron Co. Falkirk 1929
Long Pond. The largest of a number of ponds.
The Coppice. A long strip of grassland with native & exotic trees.

Sources

British Listed Buildings web site
London Borough of Barnet web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North

Sunday, 26 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Mays Lane

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook flows eastwards

Post to the west Moat Mount
Post to the east Totteridge Common
Post to the south Holcombe Hill

Barnet Gate Lane
Brent Lodge Farm

Hendon Wood Lane
Old Chomelian Sports Club. Club for the old boys of Highgate School
Hendon Wood Lane Open Space

Mays Lane
Old Elizabethans (Barnet) Memorial Playing Field. Sports club for the old pupils of Queen Elizabeth School, Barnet. This ground was bought by the Association in the late 1940s from donations from members and from monies remaining in its War Memorial Fund as a War Memorial.

Totteridge Common
St.Edwards College. Roman Catholic White Fathers seminary and college. In this building and Oak Lodge adjacent since the 1980s. Now closed.

 

Sources
Hightgate School web site
Old Elizabetban web site

Dollis Brook - Moat Mount

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards

Post to the east Mays Lane
Post to the west Scratchwood

Barnet Lane
Hyver Hall. 19th house.

Hendon Wood Lane
This is the parish boundary and thought to be a minor Roman road
Barnet Gate Wood. This is a small ancient wood, with a canopy of oak and hornbeam, and an understorey of rhododendron. Some of the hornbeam have been trained as hedges and then allowed go wild

Hyver Hill
The White House. Built in 1934 by Denis Harrington for Fred Daniels, a film cameraman who worked at the Elstree Studios. This is in the style of Frank Lloyd H Wright's houses, which he had seen in Hollywood. Harrington has also been to America to study Wright’s work. It is in brick but cement rendered and flat roofed. Inside is a marble art deco staircase

Moat Mount Open Space
Moat Mount. The name dates from 1754 and refers to a moated house. Moat Mount Open Space is a nature reserve. There is 19th planting, including Wellingtonia. It was part of big shooting estate which included Scratchwood and the conifers were planted for that but there were also areas of ornamental gardens. It is also a hilly open space with good views and a watershed for sub-springs of the Silkstream via the Deansbrook and, to the west, the Dollis and possibly for the north-running Mimmshall brook. Moat Mount was once owned by Irwin Cox, Tory MP for Harrow from 1899 to 1906
Moat Mount Camp site and outdoor centre
Mote Mount House, a stuccoed villa, was rebuilt by Edward William Cox in the Renaissance manner. Cox was a lawyer and the founder of the Law Times. He encouraged Crockford and his Clerical Directory.  It made a vast amount of money and Cox bought Sergeant’s Inn and took the contents to Moat Mount House.  He built the present Moat Mount House which included Sergeant’s Inn's hall which he reconstructed with the original stained glass windows from the hall and chapel at the inn – this is now in the Law Society Hall in Holborn. In 1799 the site was a piece of land surrounded by a moat and any building there had been demolished long before.
Possible Iron Age earthwork made up of an earth and gravel rampart with outer ditch – site of Mote Mount House.
The drive to Mote Mount follows the ditch of the Iron Age fort.
Gravel Pit Wood
Tanglewood
Target Wood
Nut Wood – this contains Leg of Mutton Pond which is the source of the Deansbrook
Mote End Farm. Livery stables in farm site used by various film companies as a location. Up to the 1960's it was a working dairy farm.
Control bunker in the farm drive which serviced a Second World War anti-aircraft gun emplacement on what now their cross country course

Sources
Arkley. Wikipedia web site
Field. London Place Names
Moat Mount web site
Pastscape web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Smyth. Citywildspace
Walford, Village London

Saturday, 25 August 2012

Bow Creek/River Lea - Leamouth


This section covers only the areas in this square which are north of the River Thames. The post for the south bank is Dome


River Lea/Bow Creek
The Creek winds its way southwards to reach the Thames

Post to the north Canning Town
Post to the south Greenwich Marsh
Post to the west Old Blackwall and Blackwall Point


Blackwall Rock
This was a reef off the lea mouth at Blackwall. At certain tides it was a danger to shipping and in 1804, after the construction of the West India Dock William Jessop was instructed to remove it. Underwater blasting failed, but by 1808 it was removed mechanically

Bowman Avenue,
Garden city development by West Ham council between the wars. Named after a local ARP warden killed during the Blitz

Dock Road
1 Waterfront Studios. New build business centre
Domeview Properties. New Build housing

Docklands Light Railway
The Docklands Light Railway leaves Canning Town Station to two different destinations.  The DLR branch to London City Airport opened in 2005, and since extended to Woolwich.  This line diverges from the Beckton line south of the station. In 2009 the Beckton line was diverted onto a new flyover that crosses the eastbound City Airport/ Woolwich line.  The line to Beckton travels mainly on the old route of the North Woolwich Line.  The line to City Airport/Woolwich uses some old freight line areas and some of the Silvertown Tramway line.

East India Basin
Entrance Dock to the East India Docks and the only remaining part of them. In 1804, John Rennie and Ralph Walker began to excavate an entrance basin of three acres to the east of the Export Dock to be used for transit only. It had an entrance lock from the Thames and a lock into the Import Dock, known as the Communication Lock.  The first iron swing-bridge at the East India Docks was built over the link between the basin and the Export Dock and the basin was enlarged and altered as vessels grew progressively larger and steam ships were introduced including in 1897 a new cut between the Export Dock and the Entrance Basin. In the 1870s warehouses were built in the north and east quays to be used largely by Currie’s Union Castle line. A hydraulic accumulator tower was built near the Orchard Place walls and demolished in the 1970s. This is now the only area of enclosed water left in the East India Docks. The original entrance lock has been filled in and the surviving entrance lock is that constructed in 1897. This is now listed. It is built of brick faced with ashlar coping to the quays. The lock has been back filled up to the 19th iron lock gates and in the quay walls are pairs of grooves cut in the ashlar blocks for apparently for an earlier set of gates. There are still bollards and capstans in place.
Nature reserve which attracts birds such as black redstart and kingfishers. There is a section of salt marsh. Bird watching hides are situated around the basin and there are tern rafts, used for nesting. Plant life includes reeds and grasses with habitat for butterflies and grasshoppers.  The tidal mix of fresh and salt water support fish and crustaceans and exposed mud provides another habitat. East India Dock is owned and managed by the Lea Valley Regional Park Authority

Leamouth Road
Aerobic. Silhouetted, painted-metal figures by Allen Jones, 1993. On the roundabout
Bridge pedestrian and cycle close to the road crossing, linking Leamouth to Canning Town, were won in competition by Whitbybird in 2004. This is an ingenious blend of a lifting and swing bridge, which moves in a tilt-and-pivot motion; Y-shaped, with 45-metre mast, and cables to support the bridge.

Lower Lea Crossing
Link road and flyover built 1991 by the London /Docklands Development Corporation. It covers the southern section of what was Leamouth Road crosses Bow Creek and continues to link with Silvertown Way and Victoria Dock Road.

North Woolwich Road
Gibbs Manure and Vitriol Manufacturers.  Established in the late 1850s. Using crude sulphur and pyrites to make sulphuric acid using faulty burners. The materials used in the manufacture of manure were dry bones, guano and mineral phosphates and sulphate of ammonia.
Odams Wharf. Chemical Manure Works. They were established here in 1851 by James Odams, to make manure from liquid blood. A slaughterhouse, adjoining his factory, was for cattle imported through the Victoria Docks and supplied the raw material. They also made their own oil of vitriol (sulphuric acid) for use in the manure manufacturing process. The premises covered a space of five or six acres.  They made the oil of vitriol from crude sulphur and pyrites using a Gay Lussac condensing tower of over 100 feet. But the manager stated that this was quite an accidental occurrence.  To make the manure making they used shoddy, dry blood, guano, dry bones, coprolites, and mineral phosphates – leading to a 'very powerful pungent odour’ and an ‘empyreumatic odour’. The firm was taken over in 1920 by neighbouring Anglo-Continental Guano Works Ltd. Anglo Continental taken over in 1937 by Fisons Ltd. and closed in 1946.
Akzo Nobel coatings factory, which took over Courtaulds Coatings here previously

Orchard Place 
The southern part of the odd L-shaped peninsula of Leamouth was, through the c19, occupied by a variety of industrial and shipping concerns.
The Orchard, as it has been known for centuries, is where the River Lea curves upon itself before opening into the Thames. In 1595 John Churchman, a merchant tailor, owned orchards here, in which were "peere trees, plome trees, apple trees and cherry trees".
Orchard House. This was a moated house with a large orchard, here by at least the late 16th. The moat survived into the early 19th. It was probably used as a pub in the early 18th up to about 1860. It had a skittle ground and a detached tearoom near the Thames. It is said to have been used by the East India Company to billet Asian sailors and also to have been used by the glass works. It was demolished in the 1870s.
Alfred White, timber merchant and boat and barge builder on Orchard House Wharf and Old Orchard Yard 1878-1903. He was also based at Crown Quay in Sittingbourne. The business was also carried out by his son at Conyer.
Wallis, shipbuilders initially near Orchard House Stairs and later on Union Wharf 1790s -37. They built warships for the Navy during the Napoleonic wars despite having only one building slip – for instance they built sailing frigate HMS Ister in 1812. In 1824 the works included a blacksmith's shop, mould lofts, saw-pits, counting house, the firm was eventually bankrupt in 1837
Caledonian Steam Towing Company on what became Castle Wharf 1843-c.1870. The company dated from about 1841 and had been based in Shadwell. By 1848 they owned 9 tugs which had grown to 17 tugs by the mid 1850s.  They were run by Thomas Watson, a Rotherhithe based ex-sea captain.  The Leamouth site was used by them for repairs and included a slip and ‘an old ship's deckhouse used as an office’. They were bankrupt in 1873.
Forrestt & Son, lifeboat builders on what became Castle Wharf 1873-5. Forrestt were famous for their Limehouse built life boats, and were only briefly at Leamouth. At Limehouse they are credited with 115 such vessels.
Ditchburn and Mare. They were on the southern part of what was to become the Union Castle site on what became known as Castle Wharf as  Ditchburn & Mare 1838 to 1847-47. C. J. Mare & Company had been founded in 1837 by Thomas J. Ditchburn and Charles Mare at Deptford, but moved here in 1838. They expanded over much of the Leaside area where they began with building small iron paddle-steamers and went on to cross-Channel boats and larger ships. After Ditchburn's retirement the firm grew considerably acquiring land on the Essex side of the Lea and building larger ships and civil engineering structures - railway bridges, the iron roofs at Fenchurch Street and some of the tubular sections for Britannia Bridge on the Menai Strait. Orchard Place became the site of their carpentry department as well as specialist brass, rigging and painters shops. There was also a sawmill. A chain-ferry across Bow Creek linked the two sides of the works. In 1855 the business was bankrupt. The works was purchased by Peter Rolt, MP for Greenwich and Mare’s father in law. Out of this grew Thames ironworks.
Union Castle Line Premises. This covered a series of wharves on the north side or Orchard Place which they took over from the 1870s for use as workshops and stores. This consisted of workshops, one of which built in 1878 is still on site. Another building survives on what had been the premises of White’s boatyard. Owned by the Castle Line's in the early 20th . Union Castle Line remained here until the 1950s
James Warne Simpson later Turner & Simpson Roman cement manufacturers on Leamouth Wharf 1812-67
Limmer & Trinidad Lake Asphalte Company on Leamouth Wharf 1916-1973, They had been founded in 1881 to undertake road contracting using high asphalt from Limber in France and from the Trinidad Pitch Lane. They were taken over by Tarmac in 1971.
H H Mackenzie & MacAlpine. Ship and barge builder on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf 1890. They probably built steam coaster Robin in 1889-90. Robin has recently been refurbished as an exhibition vessel and is expected to be displayed in the Royal Docks.
Hawkins & Tipson, ropemakers on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf 1910-40. They had been founded in 1881 in East Ferry Road
Hydraulic Appliances Shipbuilding Patents Company Ltd on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf. This company had completed a specimen vessel by 1891 but nevertheless became bankrupt
Ingram, Perkins & Company, timber merchants on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf .1940. The company can trace its origins back to 1797, when the Benjamin Ingram Company of carpenters was in the City of London and subsequently merged with Perkins. They are now a constituent part of builders’ merchants Travis Perkins. They built three large sheds on the wharf in the late 1940s.
J S Watson, shipbuilder on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf 1873-87
Gladstone, Snook & Tempest. 1816-44 – they built a tidal fitting-out basin which later became a dry dock some remains of which still exist.
London Excelsior Lawn Mower Manufacturers on what became Hercules/ Excelsior Wharf 1896. Excelsior was an American brand of mower
Miller & Ravenhill later as Ravenhill & Salkeld; marine engineers Orchard (Sufferance) Wharf 1838-74 they moved here from Ratcliffe. Miller went to US in 1852 leaving Ravenhill and Salkeld at the yard. Yarrow trained there. 
R. and H. Green, shipbuilders of Blackwall Yard also maintained an area at Leamouth known as Green's Lower Yard, in the early 1860s. Here they had turned what had been a tidal fitting out basin into a dry dock. They also undertook improvemtns in the yard in the early 1860s - a boatbuilding shop, rigging houses, woodsheds, stables and piggeries. In 1886 they sold it to the Dry Docks Corporation of London Ltd.
Dry Docks Corporation of London Ltd. They bought the London Graving Dock in 1886 fro, R. & H.Green and renamed it Orchard Dry Dock. The Corporation had been formed in 1886 to amalgamate 28 London graving docks and thereby create a monopoly. Its founding director was John Denison Pender - later to be knighted as Chairman of Cable and Wireless. The Corporation was voluntarily wound up in 1888.
Orchard Dry Dock. Dates from 1875. The dock is ashlar lined, partly filled but retaining iron plated caisson. This is now listed and preserved
The Salome Gate into the nature reserve was designed by Anthony Caro, and is designed to reflect the area’s history

Orchard Stairs
An access road to the site of the stairs lies between buildings in Orchard Place.

Orchard Wharf
This is the site currently occupied by the Esso Petrol station at the north side of the roundabout at the south end of Leamouth Road. Another Orchard Wharf is on the Thames side of the area.
The Copperas Works. Leamouth Road roughly covers the site of a copperas works built just inside Bromley parish in the 17th and one of several on the Thames estuary.  Copperas manufacture was a forerunner of the chemical industry which was to develop in this area and produced dye and was an early source of sulphuric acid manufacture.  The works was, like the important works on Deptford Creek, owned by the Hammersmith based Crispe family.  It was bought up by the Dock Company in 1803.  The house on site became the Dock Engineer’s house and later the Dock Master’s house. A dock master’s house was built later by the East India Dock Company in 1815–16 on the southern part of the area, later known as Silvocea Wharf.
Bowman – from the early 1870s the two wharves were let to Bowman as a barge building and coal yard business.
Silvocea Wharf – from the 1880s this was used by a number of companies including Maconochie Brothers, provision merchants, who provided the name .They were followed by boat builders  Nathaniel Hamblin &Company and then from 1930s by Priors.
J.J. Prior. Prior’s took over Orchard Wharf from the 1880s.  They deal in cement and ballast and latterly aggregate and maintained a fleet of vessels here to transport aggregate from its source to processing plants and elsewhere.  The site was compulsorily purchased in 1990 by the London Docklands Development Corporation, despite considerable objections by Priors. Priors continue at Deptford Creek but their head office is at Fingringhoe

Silvertown Tramway
The construction of the Victoria Dock led to the diversion of the rail line from Canning Town to North Woolwich round the north side of the dock – leaving the existing line at Thames Wharf junction. The dock entrance had to be crossed on a swing bridge. This was designed by George Bidder, was 80 ft with a bottle-shaped elevation. The old riverside line was retained to serve factories along its route and was thenceforth known as the Silvertown Tramway or the Woolwich Abandoned Line. However the swing bridge proved difficult to manage and was eventually closed, leaving the line worked only from the Silvertown end. This survived into the 1980s.  In 1985 the London Docklands Development Corporation converted the section of it from Silvertown Way into a landscaped footpath/cycleway.

Silvertown Way
In the early years of the 20th congestion on Victoria Dock Road in the Tidal Basin area was acute and in 1902 local manufacturers sent a deputation to the West Ham Council, and the "Special Swing Bridge and Level Crossings Committee" was set up.  In 1928 a joint project was started by the West Ham and the Ministry of Transport. Work began in 1932 with immediate problems of increased traffic congestion and road safety. South of George Street, the new road split into three parallel roads with streets divided by the new road as it rose onto a viaduct to cross Tidal Basin without affecting shipping.  This viaduct section is about 1,300 yards long and 60ft wide. The carriageway is 40ft wide and there are 10ft wide footpaths at either side. Work was complete in May 1934. The contractors were Messrs. Dorman, Long and Co. Ltd. Most of it is in reinforced concrete 'standard units' with the deck slab is supported by beams and columns. It was made of what were said to be eight bridges – one of which crossed the PLA railway on the skew and another crosses the old Tidal Basin entrance by a 100ft span bridge.  Where the old White Gates level crossing had been there was a three span bridge which crossed Victoria Dock Road, Tidal Basin Road and the North Woolwich branch railway.  Originally spur roads went off to both north and south sides of the Royal Victoria Dock. The road was opened by the then Minister of Transport, Mr. Leslie Hore-Belisha, in 1934.  The viaduct was bombed in the Second World War. During 1991 new ramps were constructed by the London Docklands Development Corporation to link the viaduct to the Lower Lea Crossing. A roundabout was built underneath the flyover south of the railway bridge and this meant the insertion of two bridges. Work on this revealed the granite setts originally used to pave the carriageway. Engineers for the work were the Mott MacDonald Group. The main contractors were Norwest Holst Construction Ltd.
Entrance lock to Tidal Basin and the Victoria Dock.   The original entrance to the Royal Victoria Dock was here at the western end and built in 1855. Unlike the dock itself it was cast-iron piled and the panelled walls backed were concrete, a technique used before by George Bidder, the engineer and designer.cf The dock was the first dock to be designed specifically for steamships and the entrance was thus larger than its predecessors to cope with vessels of up to 8000 tons. The dock was however used by large sailing clippers and the inaugural vessel Euterpe was 2000 tons. Fitted with hydraulic machinery – the first to do so - it could open in a minute.  It was repaired and restrengthened in 1928 and new lock gates fitted. Rebuilding was required for the construction of Silvertown Way. This made the lock much shallower and it could only be used for lighters and barges - meaning that the eastern entrance was used for ships. The lock was rebuilt by Mowlems in 1966 at a cost of £2m and closed in 1969 despite protests from the lighterage trade.  It was later filled in and used as a car park. A pylon for the Thames Cable Car now stands on it.

Thames Ironworks
Thames Ironworks was on both banks of Bow Creek at the point at which the Lea flows into the Thames on the Canning Town side, and very slightly more up river on the Middlesex bank.
The shipbuilding yard had been set up by Ditchburn and Mare for shipbuilding and civil engineering. In 1857 it was taken over by Mare's father-in-law, Peter Rolt, and renamed Thames Iron Works and Shipbuilding Co. Ltd.  In the 1860s they complete the design of ironclad battleships, building Warrior in 1869, the first iron sea-going armour-clad vessel in the British Navy and in the world. In the 1980s she was refurbished in Hartlepool and is now on display in Portsmouth.  They had eight slipways in two groups on the Canning Town bank angled so ships slid into Bow Creek.  There were two dry docks in 1866 as well as three rolling mills, seven steam hammers, etc.  In 1871 the firm failed and was restructured but continued to build major vessels under the chairmanship of millionaire industrial chemist, Frank Clarke Hills. Famous ships including the first Himalaya the - largest and fastest ocean-going merchant ship in the world. Many of their warships were for foreign navies. In 1898 there is a major disaster at the launch of the 'Albion' when 34 people were killed. In 1899 they amalgamated with Greenwich based marine engine builders John Penn and Sons. Their last ship was the Thunderer built in 1911.  The firm closed in 1912 following demonstrations in Trafalgar Square led by Frank’s paralysed son, vegetarian Arnold, Hills, in his basket, who accused the Government of sending orders for shipping to the Clyde and Tyne and thus killing the industry on the Thames.

Thames Wharf
ASD metal Stockholders. Branch of Leeds based firm, established in 1977
Docklands Waste Recycling. Formed in 1989
Brewster’s Waste Management

Tidal Basin Road
Tidal Basin.  The name for the area which reflects an area at the west end of the Victoria Dock – a separate area of the dock between the entrance lock and the main dock where boats could enter and leave on the tide without the  main area of dock water being subject to changing levels.   
Tidal Basin Station 1858. Built by the Eastern Counties Railway.  South side of Victoria Dock Road east of footbridge to Tidal Basin Road.  In 1890 it was rebuilt but in 1943 bombed and closed. The site can be seen from the west end of the DLR platforms.
29 Tidal Basin pub with which once had ‘Tidal Basin’ on the roof.  The pub dates from 1862 and was one of the most bombed of east London pubs.  Neo-Elizabethan with coped gables. The double sided inn sign aroused interest in 1950. The then new sign was of the Royal Mail Ship, Highland Brigade – berthed in the dock at the time - on one side and the Teviot, a paddle steamer on the other. It was a ~Truman’s House, taken over by Fullers in the 1990s who closed it because of structural problems. The building is still there.
13-15 Coloured Men’s Institute. In 1926 Kamal Chunchie appalled by the poverty and discrimination he saw established the Institute, a religious, social and welfare centre for Black and Asian peoples in East London'. The building had formerly been a Chinese lodging house but after Chunchie had refurbished it, the building had a meeting room for 100 people, and a canteen. On the first floor was a newspaper room, a prayer room and a billiard room. In 1930 the building was demolished in a road widening scheme and functions were held at the Presbyterian Church Hall but did not survive Chunchie’s death in 1953.
Britannia Wiper Company. This was the E16 Royal Mail delivery and sorting office
South West Ham Cricket ground. This ground lay to the south of Tidal Basin Road and was destroyed for the building of Silvertown Way in the 1930s.  The loop back of Tidal Basin Road appears to cover the area of some of the ground.
Tidal Basin Pumping Station. Built in to handle local drainage by Halcrow & Partners and designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership. It has two circular chambers - a main chamber and a screen chamber.  The main chamber has two drums rising inside shaft and waste water is lifted from new underground channels to a high-level discharge into the Thames.
Royal Victoria Watersports Centre

Trinity Buoy Wharf,
Trinity House workshops and lighthouse situated at the mouth of the River Lea. Trinity House was founded in 1514 by Henry VIII, and based at Deptford from 1745. They had a buoy store here from the 1760s and in 1803 the corporation began to acquire land and built a timber river wall to make a wharf along the Lea. the existing wall is its brick replacement of 1822, which was continued in stone along the Thames in 1851-2. At first wooden buoys and sea marks were made and stored here, and a mooring was provided for the Trinity House yacht, which was used to lay the buoys and collect them for maintenance and repair. As the maintenance department it was– ‘where bad buoys are made good’. In 1869, Trinity House an engineering establishment was opened here to repair and test the new iron buoys. In 1875 the works expanded westwards into the neighbouring property, previously Green's Shipyard. By 1910 the Wharf was a major local employer, with 150 engineers, platers, pattern makers, blacksmith, tinsmiths, carpenters, painters, chain testers and labourers. There was a training school for new staff as well as machine shops and electrical dept. and a foghorn testing department. In 1988 Trinity House transferred its entire repair and maintenance work from Blackwall to Harwich and the site sold to the London Docklands Development Corporation. It was leased by Urban Space Holdings in 1998 and the buildings are occupied as studios or offices.
Electrician's Building, built in 1836 and designed by the then Chief Engineer of Trinity House, James Walker, originally for the storage of oil
Lighthouse. This is a polygonal brick lighthouse tower with a lantern by Campbell, Johnstone & Co. whichwas built around 1860 by James Douglas.  It is London's only remaining Lighthouse. It was used to train lighthouse keepers in the art of maintaining lanterns and had no navigational use. The warehouse was a weather station for the Meteorological Office, and Michael Faraday, as scientific adviser to Trinity House, carried out experiments here in the roof space of an adjoin building. The current lantern replaces an original experimental lantern of 1854 on a storehouse but which was moved to the gable of the store until the 1920s. It was used it for lighting trials leading to installation in 1858 of electric lighting in at South Foreland. 
Lighthouse. The first lighthouse here was built in 1854 by James Walker. It has been demolished
The Chain and Buoy Store 1864-6 by W James Douglas, Engineer-in-Chief. The store is a brick shed. A railway track for moving buoys originally ran right through it.
Quay site. There is an ashlar dressed quay built around 1860 along the Thames and going back to Bow Creek with river stairs set into the riverside wall. It was built to serve Trinity House
lightships, lighthouses and buoys. This is now listed.

River wall of 1822 heightened 1881. It is the oldest structure on site
Travelling rail crane from Leeds of 1924 on the wharf,
Proving House of 1875, a long one-storey shed against the boundary, built after Trinity House took on the testing of cables, chains and anchors.
Stores. Later packing sheds.
Boilermakers Shop converted to a performance space by Buschow Henley in front of the Proving House 1951
Fitting Shop neatly designed two-storey brick 1952, which has a more adventurous -concrete-shell roof, with a travelling crane.
The Oil and Gas Works built 1908,
The Main Stores and The Gatehouse built 1951
Fat Boy Diner all streamlined chrome.  Built in 1941 in Elizabeth, New Jersey and brought here in 2002.
Container City 2. 2002, an irregular five-storey pile of corrugated steel shipping containers adapted to provide low-cost workspace. Cheerful colours with eye catching portholes alternating with larger windows and balconies, the effect not unlike an Archigram sketch.
Container City 1 Smaller and simpler prototype, behind, 2001 by Nicholas Lacey & Partners for Trinity Buoy Space Management.
Jubilee Pier. This was built to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee, It was originally only 100ft long and created from recycled materials - a Thames lighter, shipping containers, and a brow made for use in North Sea oil rigs. In 2007 the pier was lengthened and strengthened for use by Thames Clippers. It is now said to be London's longest pier.

Victoria Dock Road/Hoy Street
Once called Lilliput Road after a pub
White Gates level crossing and a notorious bottleneck
Tidal Basin Swing Bridge. The Tidal Basin swing bridge was wide enough for only a single line of traffic and carried a single line of railway in the road surface.
Tidal Basin Station. This stood on the south side of Victoria Dock Road east of a footbridge to Tidal Basin Road – essentially where the two roads diverged, but also where the North Woolwich line and the became known as the Silvertown Tramway line diverged.  It was opened in 1858 by the Eastern Counties Railway.  Lack of space meant that the booking office was above the tracks and accessed via stairs from the street. 1890 rebuilt.  It was bombed and was only twenty foot wide and usually had a continuous line of traffic queuing at, first the White Gates Level crossing, often stretching back to Barking Road and beyond the crossing1941 bombed and closed in 1943. From the west end of the new DLR platforms can be seen the site.
Bell and Anchor and a row of Bell and Anchor Cottages. Removed for the construction of the Silvertown Way.
Thames Wharf Junction.   This was between Canning Town and Tidal Basin Stations at the point at which the original line to North Woolwich, built in 1847, diverged from the line built in 1855, which ran round the north of the Dock. 
Thames Wharf Depot and railway line.  This was originally opened as a goods depot by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1847.

Sources

Ballard. Report on the Lower Thames
Banbury. Shipbuilders of the Thames and Medway, 
Battleships were built in West Ham
Bird, Geography of the Port of London
British Listed Buildings web site
Carr. Docklands History Survey
Carr, Docklands
Clancy. Sittingbourne
Connor. Branch Lines around North Woolwich
Curwen. Old Plaistow
Disused Stations web site
Docklands History Group web site
East London History Society Newsletter
Francis. The Cement Industry
GLIAS Newsletter
Graces Guide web site
Industrial Camera,
Littlebowcreek web site
London Railway Record
London’s Industrial Archaeology
Making Britain web site
Nature Conservation in Newham,
Parkes. The Chemical Industry in West Ham
Port Cities web site
Port of London Magazine
Railways South 90/90
Sainsbury. History of West Ham
Survey of Poplar
Taylor. Blackwall
Thames Tugs, web site
Williamson, Pevsner, Tucker. London Docklands