Sunday, 30 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Temple Fortune

Decoy Brook
The Decoy Brook flows north west and west towards the River Brent.

Post to the east Hampstead Garden Village
Post to the north Henley's Corner
Post to the south Golders Green
Post to the west Brent Street

Brent Park
Alongside the river Brent.
The pond is the Decoy and was a duck decoy built for a manor house owned by the abbey of Westminster. Artificial channels were dug and narrowed into pipes with a net at the end. Dogs called pipers would chase the ducks until they were trapped. There were only 200 of these in the country.

Bridge Lane
Carmelite Monastery. This was built for a formal order of nuns some of whom had come to Britain in the late 19th.  This Monastery was founded in 1908 for sisters of the Primitive rule who had previously been at Isleworth. This was an enclosed contemplative order. The buildings were designed by D. Powell of Sinnott, Sinnott and Powel with two storeys in brick set back from the road behind a tall brick boundary wall with iron gates. Near the entrance was a brick house and the walls enclosed gardens. The main building has four blocks round a courtyard with a bell tower in one corner. The Monastery was used as a Mass centre by local Catholics. The sisters made an income from baking mass breads and also from printing greeting cards and gift tags. The nuns moved out in 2007 and the site was sold for redevelopment.
98 Chasidey Gur Beth Hamedrash. Synagogue built 2007 replacing an earlier building.
83/85 Etz Chaim Yeshiva. The organisation moved here in 1948 coming from Whitechapel
54 The Bridge. The Bridge Christian Fellowship was founded in 1911 as Temple Fortune Gospel Hall in the fields of Decoy Farm. It became the Open Brethren Assembly known as Bridge Lane Chapel. They are now a self governing meeting of Christians who look at the Bible in its Jewish context and have links to the Messianic movement
Crusaders Chapel. Urban saints, started in 1914
Bridge Lane Beth Hanedrash Synagogue. This opened in 1948. It grew out of a Minyan started in 1948 by Rabbi Ehrentreu in his house at 85 Bridge Lane and then took over 83. They began to make overtures to the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel which they bought and moved into. The synagogue has been extended with additional land and the building named "Zichron Kedoshim" and they have added the Eshel Avrohom Eliezer Hall which is used as a second Beth Hamedrash.
3 Hand car wash. Opened in 1963 as one of the earliest hand car washes in London.  Interesting looking building.

Bridge Way
Service area and garages at the back of Finchley Road

Childs Way
Garden Suburb Infant School. Built as part of the garden suburb with generous playing fields.
Garden Suburb Junior School. Built as part of the garden suburb with generous playing fields.

Cranbourne Gardens
St Mary and Archangel Michael church is a Coptic Orthodox church. It was opened by H. H. Pope Shenouda III in 1996. The church was Anglican and named after St Barnabas. It was built in 1915 as a temporary building and church hall. It was designed by J. S. Alder. The existing building dates from 1932 by architect Ernest Shearman and part rebuilt again in 1962 bomb damage. It was closed in 1994.

Finchley Road
Created after an Act of Parliament of 1826, and built up only in the 20th.  The Temple Fortune area has shopping parades, with arcades facing Finchley Road, detailed by Unwin's assistant A. J. Penty as part of Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Pantiles.  Mediterranean moderne flats built 1934-5 by J. B. F. Cowper in brick with green pantiled roofs. Entrance doors with tracery and imposing flights of steps from Finchley Road.
Birkbeck Court. On the site of tge Finchley Odeon. Built 1985 by Architech, with a tower which remembers the demolished club house inn Willifield Green.
Odeon Cinema. The Orpheum Theatre opened on in 1930 following a lot of heart searchings from the proponents of Hampstead Garden Suburb. It was built for an independent operator by Yates, Cooke & Darbyshire. It had a Compton 3Manual organ. The proscenium was 35 feet wide, the stage 40 feet deep, there were ten dressing rooms and a café. In 1932 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas and in 1934 by the County Cinemas chain. Who were, in turn, taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. in 1937. It was re-named Odeon in 1945. The stage was used more than normal for a cinema and this included the Ralph Reader Gang Show as an annual event – and it was redecorated in 1972 when the queen came to see the show. It closed in 1974 and demolished in 1982, and replaced by flats.
790-800 Arcade House.  Originally included a tearoom built for Hampstead Garden Suburb by Porter and Union. It had gabled ends carried over the pavement as arcades supported on stone piers. It is in brick with a mock timber-frame above the shops.
802-818 Temple Fortune House.  Similar to Arcade House
1069 Metropolitan Police Station, 19l6 by J.D. Butler.
1117 Royal Oak. Plaque on a shop in memory of the pub
1011 Kisharon Centre. Day Centre for Jewish people with learning difficulties
1023 Grove Inn

Golders Green Road
243 The Swan. An old inn rebuilt in the early 20th and which serves Hungarian food.
290 Prince Albert, decoratively neo-Tudor. It became a Harvester pub and has now been demolished.
314 Pillar-box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby
210 The Lido Picture House was the first Atmospheric style cinema in Britain – it was an Egyptian Atmospheric style – and designed by Major W.J. King. It opened in 1928 for Carreras Cinemas Ltd and was sold in 1929 to Savoy Cinemas Ltd., who became the ABC chain. It had a fully working stage and three dressing rooms. There was A Christie 2Manual/8Rank theatre organ fixed in the orchestra pit and a café. It was closed in 1957 and the classical Egyptian columns on the facade and the auditorium were removed by C.J. Foster. It re-opened in 1957 called the ABC. In the late 1960’s the ‘Luxury Lounge’ was opened with new seats in the stalls, a carpet and no balcony. It closed in 1977 and was converted into three screens. It was taken over by Cannon Cinemas Ltd. in 1986, who closed it in 1987 and it was demolished soon after. Residential housing for the elderly is now on the site.

Hampstead Way
Garden Suburb Gallery in summerhouse which was originally in the garden behind Arcade Court.
166 Vivien House. Vivien was involved in the co-partnership housing movement.

Harmony Close
Sheltered accommodation and hostel for Jewish students by David Steff Partners, 1977 which centres round a mature oak.
Sculpture: Fidelity, by Naomi Blake, fibreglass

Highfield Road
Highfield Court. Modern movement flats built in 1935 by A. V. Pilichovski
1-4 Machzikei Hadass Synagogue. Orthodox
Gothic Cottage
Britannic House – Britannic Commerce, supply kitchen equipment

Hillcrest Avenue
5 prize-winning Mediterranean front garden and a traditional back garden.

Park Way
Princes Park. The park was laid out in 1923 on land specially purchased for it. It has mature oak trees bordering Oakfields Road and there is a woodland area which pre-dates housing development. This has a wild service tree and an old crab apple. The park has rose beds near the entrance; a mock-Tudor toilet block with an arch over the path leading to a circular bed and the original park gates remain. There is play equipment, tennis courts and other sports facilities

St Andrews Road
Templars Lawn Tennis Club, opened in 1923

Temple Fortune Lane
23 Health Centre

Sources
Bridge Lane. Web site
British History, Hendon. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Jewishgen. Web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Gardens on Line. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Metropolitan Water Board. London’s Water Supply,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Stevenson. Middlesex
 

Saturday, 29 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Golders Green

Decoy Brook
The brook flows north west towards the River Brent

Post to the east Golders Green
Post to the north Temple Fortune
Post to the west Brent Cross

Accommodation Road
Service road at the back of Golders Green Road shops. It has granite setts

Basing Hill Park
This is a small park laid out as a recreation ground in 1936. It is grass, trees, tarmac paths and tennis courts

Dunstan Road
United Synagogue. The first synagogue opened in the area. It was designed, by Digby Solomon, and begun in 1921 for a congregation which had first met in 1915. The main hall was completed 1925 by Ernest Joseph, who added the entrance portico, vestibule and classrooms. It is a plain brick building with a dignified classical interior with panelled galleries on three sides.
Joseph Freedman Hall, built 1939

Elmcroft Avenue
Bridge carrying the Northern Line extension of 1922. A skew steel girder bridge it is the longest on the extension at 129 ft 6 inches.

Gloucester Gardens
On the site of Golders Lodge

Golders Gardens
On the site of Golders Lodge

Golders Green
The area has been known as Golders Green since the early 17th 1612. It probably refers to a local family name. 

Golders Green Road
Shopping parades on each side, in various styles of the Edwardian period. 
London Jewish Family Centre
Maurice and Vivienne Wohl Campus on the site of La Sagasse school. This is a Jewish Care Home and Head Office of Jewish Care Direct. Opened in 2010. Includes Selig Court, an independent living project for Holocaust survivors with a mural in the campus reception area symbols of Jewish life - Star of David, shofar, kiddush cup, dreidel, menorah, the Ten Commandments and the 12 Tribes of Israel. There is a community centre space with arts and crafts, pottery and quilting; a unisex hairdressing salon and a shop with kosher favourites. There are garden areas and a "secret garden" for residents.
La Sagesse. This was a school run by women known also as the Montfort sisters who engaged in social and educational work and in 1909 moved to Woodstock House renaming it ''La Sagesse Convent''. There they opened an independent day and boarding school for girls which from 1965 catered for educationally-disadvantaged children.
Woodstock House was a large 19th house once known as Rose Cottage and home 1816 to 1835 to Felix Booth head of Booth and Co., distillers.
208 Sage Centre. Yehoshua Freshwater Centre, a Jewish home and centre for old people. Built 1990-2 by Rosenfelaer Associates.
Holy Cross and St. Michael's Cathedral, built as St.Michael Church of England it is now Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Cathedral. Built 1913 by J. T. Lee with additions by Caroe & Passmore in 1924-5.
Church Hall. Designed by Stellios Constantinou, 1993. 
Eagle Lodge, mansion flats built 1935-7 by M V. Braikevitch, worth tall gaunt blocks.
Library. Built 1935 as the first purpose-built branch library in the Borough of Hendon,

Golders Way
Service road at the back of Golders Green Road, with line of single storey brick sheds

Montpelier Rise
Cut in half for the embankment of the Northern Line extensions 1923.

Sneath Avenue
Claude Sneath was killed in the Great War and there is a memorial window to him in a local church

The Ridgeway
Water main from Kempton Park. There is a gap in the line of houses.

The Riding
Beth Hamadrach Synagogue. Built 1959 By Shaw & Lloyd. This is a group with a hall and synagogue with a porch link. The Synagogue us brick aisles on a slight zigzag plan. This is an Ashkenazi Orthodox Jewish congregation which was founded in 1936 in the King Alfred Shul and moved to The Riding 1956.
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. 

The Vale
Water Main from Kempton Park. In the triangle formed with the junction with Vale Rise is a concrete platform. It includes steel plates inscribed “J. Blakeborough & Sons, Brighouse”.

The Grove
Chaverim Youth Organisation. Orthodox Jewish Youth Centre.

Wessex Gardens
Wessex Gardens Primary School

Woodstock Avenue
Menorah Primary School. Primary School serving the Orthodox Jewish Community

Woodstock Road
The water main from Kempton Park crosses the road
Heruka Buddhist Centre. This is the main north London Buddhist centre of the New Kadampa Tradition.

Sources
Badsley-Ellis. The Hampstead Tube
Beth Hamadrach Web site
Chaverim Youth Organisation web site
Field. London Place Names,
Heruka Centre web site
London Encyclopaedia
Middlesex Churches
MiddlesexCountyCouncil. Web site
Petrie. Hendon and Golders Green Past
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
United Synagogue Web site

Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Golders Green

Decoy Brook
The Decoy Brook flows south west and north west

Post to the north Hampstead Garden Suburb
Post to the east Spaniards
Post to the west Golders Green

Accommodation Road
Laid with granite setts. Service road at the back of shops, with some industrial units
The water main from Kempton Park crosses here

Britten Close
Built on the site of tennis courts at the back end of the railway works

Chandos Way
Chandos Tennis Club. This began in 1922 in Neasden. In 1931 a school sports ground was found in Wellgarth Road and the Club was incorporated on 1934.

Corringham Court
A three storey block of flats designed by Cowper in 1933. Two arched tunnels lead to a large rear garden with York stone paths and lawn. The grass embankment shields the flats from the underground train sidings and works.

Corringham Road
16-90 101-117 Parker and Unwin
73 -79 this closed the view along Rotherwick Road and buildings are raised on an embankment. Designed by Herbert Welch in 1910, the brick houses are linked by an arched passage
81-87 a terrace by Welch from 1910-11 set back to save mature oaks on the plot. The central houses are linked by an arched passage
66-72 mark the entrance to Corringham Court.
117 has a gazebo above its garage
The water main from Kempton Park was shown on the pre-development OS maps as a line of posts. This is now a green corridor behind the houses

Corringway
A cul-de-sac by Parker and Unwin the year is given as 1911 on a rainwater hopper.  Each group of houses faces its mirror-image opposite.
Built 1909 as a communal L shaped block for people with cars and there were flats for chauffeurs over the block of garages. This didn’t last and it became a commercial garage and was eventually replaced in 1996 by a pastiche in Parker & Unwin style by David Baker of Lawrence & Wrightson. 

Finchley Road
Finchley Road was created by Act of Parliament as a bypass route and opened as a turnpike road in 1830.
House – the first house built in Golders Green following plans for a tube station by Yerkes was ready for occupation at the corner of Finchley Road and Hoop Lane in 1905.
650-660 half timbered houses which form part of the 1908 ‘Hendon Leasehold Estate’ and are part of Hampstead Garden Suburb,
622 The Gate Lodge. Pub
700 St.Edward the Confessor. Roman Catholic Church built in 1915 by Arthur Young. It is in brick with a central tower, comer turrets and a chequered parapet. In 1908 Carmelite sisters had a monastery in Bridge Lane and a new parish was dedicated here to St Edward the Confessor because the land for a new church was to rise was given by St Edward to the Benedictines.  St Edward's Hall was built in 1911 and used as the temporary Church until the present Church was completed. The First World War meant that there were unavoidable delays. The first date for the opening, in 1915 was the night of the first Zeppelin raid over Golders Green. The church was finally consecrated on the Feast of St Edward 1930. Following an arson attack in the 1960s there have been many have improvements to the Church and Hall including a shrine to St.Edward.
847 Shree Swamirayam Temple.  At the age of eleven Nilkanthvarni, Lord Swaminarayan, renounced the material world, and encouraged His devotees to be hardworking, compassionate and free of all vices. In order to further spread his teachings a small number of families arrived from East Africa and India to settle in North London. The Shree Swaminarayan Sidhant Sajivan Mandal, London, was established in 1964 and in the late 1970s purchased a disused church in Golders Green and converted the internal characteristics into a majestic mandir.  The church was built as Saint Ninian's Presbyterian Church, in 1911. In 1972 they joined the United Reformed Church and in 1979 merged with the Golders Green Methodist Church
867 – 893 shopping parade which goes into Golders Green Road built in red brick Art Nouveau style by Morrison Garood in 1911.
897 HSBC bank at the junction with Golders Green Road. This was built as the Midland Bank with Portland stone designs and curve round the main shopping street
Horse trough
War memorial/clock tower. Unveiled in 1923. It is of Weldon stone with York stone steps, and it has a clock on each face, along with the words Justice/Honour/Loyalty/Courage.  One side is inscribed 'Their Name Liveth For Evermore' with a plaque 'To the Memory of the Men of Golders Green who made the Supreme Sacrifice 1914-1918 plus another plaque on a plinth to the fallen of 1939-1945.. It may have been designed by Frank T Dear.   It cost £2,000 and some of the money was raised through a benefit concert featuring Marie Lloyd and Anna Pavlova.
905-907 Valve House in the forecourt of a mini cab firm. . Single storey brick building built 1906.  This was to pump forward water from Kempton Park through a 42- and 48 inch water main running to Lea Bridge. This may have been demolished. There were also 1930s huts on site with steel-frame Crittall windows
Strip of land adjacent to the railway protecting the deep water main running to the Valve House on Finchley Road from Kempton Park. Some cast iron railings remain.a
The Refectory Pub. Built with white painted render, by Herbert Welch. Now partly Hotel Unique. This was originally opened in 1916 by the Company of Electric Caterers Ltd. as the first all electric restaurant. The electrical plant was by Crompton & Co., and the equipment made by the Falkirk Iron Co. it was connected to the Hendon Electrical Supply Co, System.  Some gas used for the boiling table.  In 1918 they provided evening meals for City workers on a subscription basis
Ionic Cinema. This is located in the same building as Sainsbury’s. It was built in 1975 replacing a 1913 Cinema. It was designed by the architectural firm George Coles and Co, and was taken over by the Cannon Group in 1986 and ABC Cinemas in 1997. It closed in 1999
Rotherwick Road – entrance designed as a gateway to Hampstead Garden Suburb

Golders Green Road
Exchange Mansions by Herbert Welch built in 1916. Three storey shops in brick with decoration in Arts and Crafts Style
2 – 2a by Erno Goldfinger 1935 it is a three storey building with modernist curved glass
4, 6, 8 by Herbert Welch and H. Clifford Hollis in Arts and Crafts style forming a gateway to Golders Green Crescent
1 – 21 brick Art Nouveau shops by Morrison Garood 1911.
10 – 90 Cheapside by Herbert Welch and H. Clifford Hollis built 1914. Three storey shops with flats

Golders Hill Park Close
5 curtain-walled upper storey over a brick base.
6 built by David Stern in 1966.

Hampstead Heath Extension
Decoy Brook This stream rises from Sandy Heath where the sand meets the clay.
The Heath Extension covers 125 acres. The land consists of most of former agricultural land the acquisition of which was largely down to Henrietta Barnett who formed the Hampstead Heath Extension Council in 1903 to prevent the Underground reaching the area. The upper part is managed for hay.
There is a series of 7 ponds – one of which is an old field pond first recorded in the 18th.
Great Wall – this is between Hampstead Way and North Point. It was designed by Charles Wade for Unwin at the southern edge of Hampstead Garden Suburb and is said to have been inspired by medieval German towns, particularly Rothenburg. There are round-arched entrances to the gardens behind the wall, and weather-boarded gazebos.

Hampstead Way
17 by Quennell, has a grand side chimney
45-53 provide an entrance area to Heath Close
27 was designed by Herbert Welch.
79-81 design by Ernest Willmott, 1910-11
87-89 designed M.J. Dawson in 1910

Heath Close
This is a narrow road off Hampstead Way where Silver birches were originally set into roadside hedges. There is a garden and a whitewashed garden quadrangle. It was designed by Parker and Unwin in 1911 in a ‘vernacular’ style as flats which set on a narrow band of land.

Heathcroft
This is a complex of flats with gardens by J.B.F. Cowper which was the winning design in a competition for labour-saving flats run by Second Hampstead Tenants Ltd in 1923.
Porters Lodge. Single storey building in a central area
Courtyard which has three lawns enclosed by low brick walls, and a central rose garden with sundial

Helenslea Avenue
4 Finchley Road Synagogue. Sasover Synagogue. This dates from 1941 and is affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues and, from about 1948, also associated with Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations

Hodford Road
90 Trinity Church, Methodist and United Reform. Built as a Methodist church in 1922 by George Withers. Large building on a corner site
Hodford Hall – part of the Methodist complex.

Hoop Lane
35 Central Hotel
31½ Unitarian Church.  Built in 1925 this is by Reginald Farrow with a small dome.  Inside is a mural by Ivor Hitchens done in 1920-1 showing a forest scene with deer and other animals among trees, in the tradition of Morris & Co. There is also a pulpit, made by Belgian refugees for Cardinal Mercier.
Golders Green Crematorium.  The London Cremation Society opened this as London's first crematorium in 1902. The buildings from 1905 to 1939 form a large, impressive group along the lane, in brick with linked by a long cloister walk.  This cloister was built in 1912-16 and contains the ashes of many well-known people, Sigmund Freud, Aneurin Bevan, Neville Chamberlain, Eric Coates, Kathleen Ferrier, Elinor Glyn, Arthur Greenwood, Rudyard Kipling, Tom Mann, Ivor Novello, Anna Pavlova, Isaac Pitman, Harry Pollitt, Bram Stoker, Marie Stopes, etc. The West Columbarium built 1902-3, and the West Chapel built 1905 by Sir Ernest George & Yeates.  In the chapel is a bust of Sir Henry Thompson pioneer of cremation, by Frith, 1904. The East Chapel is by Mitchell & Bridgwater. 1908. The East Columbarium built 1910-11, with a tall tower, provides a focus for the group. The Bedford Chapel was built in 1911 for the Duke of Bedford. The Ernest George Columbarium, by Alfred B. Yeates was built in 1926 with galleries on three sides. Chapel and Hall Of Memory, 1939 by Mitchell and Bridgwater. Martin Smith Mausoleum, 1904-5 by Paul Phipps, of brick and stone. There is a war memorial in front of the cloister, built in 1919-20 as a stone Ionic temple in front of a lily pool. The Garden was laid out with a pergola by William Robinson in 1907.  Philipson Mausoleum, by Sir Edwin Lutyens built in 1938. The grounds start as an open field in front of the cloister, and become an informal woodland garden with pools. Sculpture 'Into the Silent Land' by Henry Pegram R. A. installed in 1924 this is a bronze, shrouded figure raising a girl above a sea of souls. Chanshyam da Biria installed 1983 is a standing bronze figure.

Moreland Close
The court is arranged around a hedged communal garden, originally a tennis court.
2 by J.G. Jackson built 1923
3 by Bunney & Makins
4-7 by Quennell

North End Road
Heart of Golders Green at the crossroads. The Green itself has become an irregular square. Urban with tall gabled shopping parades of 1908
2 – 38 Crescent Parade. Shops in red brick and decorated in the late Victorian style.
19 Plaque which says that Michael Ventris Architect and Decipherer of Linear B script, lived there
94 – 96 London Jewish Cultural Centre. Ivy House. This is a 19th villa with castellations. In 1840- 1851 it was the home of C.R. Cockerell, who created a library there with casts of the Bassae frieze, from 1934 it was the home of ballerina, Anna Pavlova, She lived on the first floor only. In 1952 the Industrial Orthopedic Society it and the ground floor became the Out-Patients Department of Manor House Hospital, while the upper storey was staff accommodation. In 1955 it became the New College of Speech and Drama and then part of Middlesex Polytechnic. It includes the Anna Pavlova Memorial Museum. 
145 plaque to Evelyn Waugh, which says 'Evelyn Waugh, Writer lived here’. He didn't live here for very long; it was after all the wrong end of Hampstead. Plaque erected 1993.
Cinderella Path. This goes to Clown’s Day Nursery
Golders Green Station. Opened in 1907 between Brent Cross and Hampstead on the Northern Line. In the autumn of 1900, two men drove in a hansom cab over Hampstead Heath – north of the heath was an isolated crossroads with a couple of old houses and some farm buildings. The men were Harley Hugh Dalrymple Hay and Lauderbeck, acting for Charles Tyson Yerkes, who said that this was the place where the terminus for the railway should go. The extension was authorised in 1902, despite the protests of posh Hampstead people who has variuous excuses as to why not. The station opened on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway. The original terminus was a Leslie Green designed station different from the others. It has a ground floor, a mezzanine floor and a steel frame with curved platforms plus a train staff mess room and depot. It was only above ground London Electric Railway station of this date.   1922 extended to Hendon.  In the 1980s the wooden platforms were replaced as was the ticket hall. At platform level the metal staircases are original with separate ones for entrance and exit and there are the usual green tiles. A section of original canopy survives facing the bus station .A second entrance, now disused, was installed in 1911 to interchange with the trams and this had a timber walkway to it, above it is raised faïence lettering.,
Railway buildings include the depot and shunting sheds.  The Maintenance Depot was built adjacent to the station in 1907. Originally this was four brick car sheds with glass roofs built by Bott and Stennet with inspection pits. North of the buildings were four sidings, and two more between the depot and the station.  There were two 10 ton travelling cranes in the machine shop and a training school for drivers.
Bus depot. Many bus routes use the busy interchange in front of the tube station
Tunnel portals. These are 400m to the London side of Golders Green station.  They are the only London Electric Railway tunnel portals of 1907.
Golders Green Hippodrome. Built by Bertie Crewe and opened as a music hall in 1913.  It was a BBC recording studio from 1968.  Inside the auditorium has giant columns flanking the boxes and above it chariots drawn by lions. The BBC sold it on 2005 and it is now El Shaddai International Christian Centre, an evangelical church.
King Alfred School. Posh private school. This was first established in 1898 in Ellerdale Road as a rational progressive, co-educational day school and moved to the Manor House Estate 1919.  New buildings were erected between 1919 and 1934 in Garden Suburb tradition by Barry Parker and replaced army huts previously used. There were many opportunities for open air teaching.  In 1934 E. C. Kaufmann added a Junior School, in reinforced concrete, in the international style of the 30s, with classrooms, which could be opened up on one side. These were replaced in the 1990s by new Lower School buildings by Van Heyningen & Howard however they continue the principle of outdoor teaching. 
Manor house. The Manor House of Hendon built by John Bone, Lord of the Manor of Hendon in the 1790s and taken over by the War Office in 1916
Manor House Hospital.  In 1916 the Manor House Estate had been taken over by the War Office and given to the Allied Hospital Benevolent Fund to build a hospital for injured servicemen. This opened in huts in 1917. After the war they became the Industrial Orthopaedic Society and treated the victims of industrial accidents. In 1927 they bought the Manor House Estate and the hospital was rebuilt by the patients themselves. During the Second World War beds were used by the Emergency Medical Services for civilian casualties.  In 1948 it was exempted from joining the NHS and continued to be supported by membership subscriptions from trades unions.  In 1952 they bought Ivy House and intended to build a women's hospital in the grounds but could not do so. In 1955 Inverforth House was unexpectedly left to the Hospital, so Ivy House was sold and a women's hospital was established at Inverforth House. In 1969 a new four-storey wing with 52 beds and an operating theatre was opened.   The Hospital was placed into voluntary liquidation in 1998 and closed in 1999. The hospital site has now been demolished and redeveloped by Octagon Homes.  As 'Manor Heights', a posh gated estate.
St Alban and St. Michael. Built 1932 and designed by Giles Gilbert Scott as a Gothic church. Originally, in 1910, Saint Alban the Martyr, was a chapel-of-ease to All Saints, Childs Hill and was made the parish church of a new parish in 1922. The original church became the parish hall in 1933 and a new church built. In 1979 St Alban was united with Saint Michael, Golders Green. The church is constructed of reinforced concrete with a brick facing. Inside fittings were also designed by Scott. Archbishop Desmond Tutu was Curate here in the 1960s.
Churchyard – this is a pleasant garden with lawns, trees and shrubs.
Church Hall. Built in 1909 by Herbert Wills as a church and later replaced.
Milestone. Now in a museum. A very worn stone reading V/M I L ES/FROM/LON DON was taken from North End Road.

Renolds Close
Flats by Parker & Unwin, built in 1911 which use a narrow swathe piece of land to design T shaped deep cul-de-sacs. The communal greens were originally tennis courts
7 - copper beech tree in the garden, one of several specimen trees in the area
13 a large, central, detached house
15 mature oak in the garden,

Romney Close
1 decorative leaded light windows
2 has two double-height bays and a patterned glass porch

Rotherwick Road
Green corridor at the backs of the houses marks the line of the water main from Kempton Park
Two brick gate piers mark the entrance to Hampstead Garden suburb.
2  a ‘gateway’ house designed by Hollis and Wade in 1909 to exploit uneven plot sizes.

St.Alban’s Lane
Service road at the back of shops, with some industrial units

Waterlow Court
The entrance is a covered cloister with a Lichgate. It was designed by Baillie-Scott in 1908-9 for the Improved Dwelling Society as flats for young working women, with a communal dining area in the central range

Wellgarth Road
The road was intended by Unwin as a large-scale formal approach to the Heath Extension but the planned International Modern buildings by Edgar Wood were never erected
Gatepost in the entrance from North End Road. Two gate posts were originally erected by one was removed when 1 was built
1 small cottage designed for himself in 1930 by Frederick MacManus.
4 Wellgarth Nursery Training College – later became a Youth Hostels Association building. This is by Lovegrove and Papworth, who had designed many warehouses in Hoxton, where the college had its previous site. It was built in 1915 and was probably actually designed by Arthur Penty, an idealistic Christian Socialist
9 -15 1920s houses designed in Soutar's office by Paul Badcock. A post-war economy is shown in that the window glass had no timber frame but goes straight into the brickwork,
11 -13, a twitten leads to a green shared by residents of Wellgarth Road and Heathcroft.
12-14 built by Bunney & Makins.
16 designed by Parker and Unwin in 1914 in red brick.
17 with bay windows, probably by T Phillips Figgis.
19 Threeways.  House built by Cowles-Voysey, son of the famous Voysey, in 1910. The first straightforward Neo-Georgian in the Suburb
Horse Trough. Secondary inscriptions "George & Annie Bills. Australia."  This has now disappeared.

West Heath Avenue
Superior detached houses c 1910 also is a clutch of post-war houses in a variety of styles
17 by Jellicoe, Ballantyne & Coleridge, c. 1961, rather Scandinavian: L-shaped, of small buff bricks, shallow copper roof to the main range; simple timber windows, split level plan
21 1961 long transparent upper floor overlooking the park, by Anthony Levy

Sources
Badsley Ellis. The Hampstead Tube
GLIAS Newsletter
Chandos Tennis Club. Web site
Bourne. Hendon Electric Supply Co.
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
HGS. Web site
Jewishgen. Web site
Leboff.  The Underground Stations of Leslie Green
London Borough of Barnet web site
London Encyclopedia
Lucas. London
MiddlesexCountyCouncil. Web site
Miller. Hampstead Garden Suburb
Petrie. Hendon and Golders Green Past
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Shree Swaminarayan Temple. Web site
St. Edward the Confessor. Web site.
Stevenson. Middlesex
Subterranea Britannica. Web site
Trench and Hillman. London Under London
Walford, Village London,
Walford. Highgate to the Lea

Sunday, 23 September 2012

Decoy Brook - Spaniards

Decoy Brook
Decoy Brook rises in Turners Wood and flows into the ponds of the Hampstead Heath Extension.

Post to the north Hampstead Garden Suburb
Post to the west Golders Green

Bishops Avenue
Arden Court Gardens, group of houses a well-landscaped group of smaller houses of the 1980s; steep, wide-eaved roofs over squarish houses with cut-away corners.
52 Kenstead Hall. This is a mini stately home with Hollywood half timbering. A Neo-Tudor mini-stately home of the 1920s. It is owned by King Fadh of Saudi Arabia. His father, King Khaled bought it from the shipping mogul Ravi Tikkoo in 1976. Tikkoo had added a cricket pitch and an orangery. There is also a stable block with a cupola.
54 Oak Lodge. Built 1927. Restrained
56 Barons Court. Built in 1900. In red brick with huge Tuscan portico.
Wyldewood. Built in 1926. Now divided into two as Fernwood.
58 Murtaza, originally called Kenmore. Built 1896 but remodelled in 1905 in Old English ‘Domestic Style’ after Norman Shaw.
Knole Hurst 
Hornbeams
59 East Weald also known as Heath Hall and as Vernon Hall. Built in 1910 by H.V. Ashley and F. Winton Newman for William Lyle of Tate and Lyle.
60 Dane Court. Neo-Jacobean with turret and stone door case.
62 Jersey House. This was called Eaglescliff
63 Leo Baeck House. This was called Bishop’s Mead when it was built in 1900 for Herbert Neild, MP, JP.
64 Chelwood. Built 1930.
66 Heath Lodge. 1931.
Hammerson House. Built on the grounds of Glenthorn after the war.

Bunkers Hill
1-2 at a twitten entrance a pair by C. Cowles-Voysey for himself, built 1928-9

Columba’s Drive
The Elms. Built on the site of the tea garden. Behind high walls, with a neo-Jacobean outline of gables, turret and chimneys altered and extended in 1998. The older house was changed before 1870 and then again, perhaps by T.E.Collcut, for art dealer, Joseph Joel Duveen, in 1888-95. It is now posh flats
St. Columba's Hospital in the Elms. Friedenheim, also known as the Home of Peace, was opened in Islington, in 1885 following concerns about the lack of care for the dying. In 1892 they moved to a site at Swiss Cottage and in 1915, when it had 50 beds, its name was changed to St Columba's Hospital. The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948, and in 1957 moved to The Elms with 35 beds. It closed in 1981
Mother Huffs Tea Garden – a popular pub in the 18th.

Fairway Close
Backing onto the golf course. Houses by C. H. James 1929
3 architect’s own house

Hampstead Lane
The road runs slightly to the north of the St.Pancras/Hornsey boundary
Granite setts along the lane mark the line of the boundary of the bishops’ park.
Cricket Ground

Hampstead Way
Laid out as an approach road to a never-built underground station at Wyldes.
North End/Bull and Bush Tube Station. The Charing Cross & Hampstead Railway was authorised as far as Hampstead in 1893 but, take over by Yerkes in 1900, it was proposed to continue it to Golders Green. A condition was the provision of a station at North End which would have been opposite Wylde’s farmhouse and should have been London’s deepest tube station.  There was much local opposition to the proposed station from the posh people who lived on the heath and Henrietta Barnett’s intervention to purchase what became the Hampstead Heath Extension prevented plans for new housing. Work on construction of the station continued at track level and it was halted as residential development was opposed and did not progress, Work on the station was stopped in 1906 before the lift shafts were sunk and surface building were erected. Services began in 1907, running through the unfinished station. The official name of the station would have been North End, it was always known as 'Bull & Bush' after the nearby public house.  The platforms were later removed altogether and during the Second World War the subways were used to store archives with access only available from the cabs of passing trains.
Underground Control Centre. Since 1933 the operational control centre of the London Passenger Transport Board was been in Leicester Square station and a floodgate control centre also established there. It was then decided to build a nuclear proof control centre – the Special Works programme to keep the underground running.  The abandoned North End Station seemed to be ideal and was sited on part of the Manor House Hospital site, which London Transport owned. This involved building an entrance blockhouse with stairs down to a new shaft sunk down to the unfinished station subways where rooms were built. Between the control centre and the Northern Line a heavy steel blast door was fitted. However in 1955 work was stopped and although the floodgate control room opened in 1956 there was no staff accommodation


Kenwood Grounds
Henry Moore Sculpture. Two Piece Reclining Figure No. 5 by Henry Moore.
West Meadow – this is an area of The Heath next to the Kenwood House Pasture Land
Kenwood Farm. Built 1795, by George Saunders. Originally octagonal in the ‘Swiss chalet style’ was a cottage, dairy and brew house. There is only one remaining building of the actual farmhouse, privately owned, but the original outline of the octagonal brickwork is still in the ground. The dairy is later and is surrounded by a ha ha.
Stones – there are three stones on the left of the path to the staff entrance. These are all boundary markers for St.Pancras, Finchley and Hampstead Parishes which all meet here.
The Old Quarry. This is north of the Old Farmhouse and was a source of sand for the Kenwood Estate used to lighten soils and to maintain path and drive surfaces. It ceased being used in the 1890s.
North Wood. This is the area of The Heath within the north boundary of the Kenwood Estate. It is mostly beech and oak, with Scots pine. It was added to the Ken Wood Estate by the 2nd Earl of Mansfield in l793. Hampstead way
Tree – this tree is at the junction of the path from the Kenwood House Drive and the path to the car park. It once had an iron 1791 boundary marker attached to it. In the trunk of the tree is a stone Finchley Parish marker.
Boundary markers on a sunken path towards the farm gates. These are two semi-buried stones. They are for St. Pancras Parish and for St.John’s Hampstead.
Boundary marker - this is on a path beyond the farm gate to the right. This was once the site of an elm tree which marked the boundary. The stone is marked for St. Pancras on one side, and St, Johns on the other.  More markers can be found on side paths on the line of the boundary.

Hampstead Heath Extension
The Heath Extension covers 125 acres. The land consists of most of the former agricultural land of Spaniards Farm and Wyldes Farm. It has changed little the former field pattern of Wyldes Farm. The acquisition of land was largely down to Henrietta Barnett who formed the Hampstead Heath Extension Council in 1903 to prevent the Underground reaching the area. The Wyldes Estate belonged to Eton College and it was purchased after a struggle. The hedgerows are a feature dividing the space into a series of green 'rooms', each with its own character. There are brambles and thistles, hazels and hollies, hawthorn, black poplar along with flowers and dragonflies and damselflies on the pond banks. There are many field trees - elder, field maple, and boundary oaks. There is a cluster of maintenance buildings in the centre. In the lower part are playing fields. .
Decoy Brook This stream rises from Sandy Heath where the sand meets the clay. It passes through a series of ponds on the Hampstead Heath Extension.
Ponds.There is a series of 7 ponds fed by the brook and runoff water from Sandy Heath. One pond is an old field pond first recorded in the 18th and the others were dug between 1907 and 1915 by unemployed immigrant labour.  Known as The Seven Sisters they are the northern-most ponds on Hampstead Heath. Some of the ponds are enclosed within fencing and some are not.
The Walter Field Memorial Drinking Fountain. This is north of junction of Hampstead Way and Wildwood Road.

Ingram Avenue
Dr. Winnington Ingram was a Bishop of London and a supporter of Henrietta Barnett.
16 designed by Souter's office to be similar to the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust offices in Finchley Road in 1935. The house was to be a wedding present for the son of the Chair of the Midland Bank, for whom Lutyens put a special frontage on it.

Kenwood Close
Built in 1936 with houses designed by Powell.

Spaniards End
This was originally a group of houses built in the 18th on the Highgate side of Spaniards Gate.
Heath End Cottage.  19th brick house. It is part of a row of outbuildings
The Firs – now divided into The White House and The Chantry. The original house dated from 1734 and it appears as an imposing house of white stucco
Casa Maria is the old Billiards Room of the main house. It had a Spanish appearance with arched openings,
12 a modern house, flat roofed with many horizontal planes
14 a bungalow with brick and tile hanging which uses the slope to give two storeys with balcony having a 1950s feel.
16 A modest house enlarged by ABA Architects. Known as the VXO house - The carport is held by thin posts and a large red vertical metallic circle and it has a timber clad cantilever supported on a red V-shaped column in front of a blue artwork wall by Simon Patterson, the garden gymnasium has red X -shaped supports.
18 a large, modern house, with a number of horizontal planes and interlocking blocks in blue brick,
24 The Firs, 1959 by Patrick Gwynne.  Brick with timber boarding, large windows to the garden. In 1734 John Turner, a City tobacconist, built a house at Parkgate called The Firs after a clump of tree painted by Constable. The modern building externally looks a bit like a TV set but the screen is for those inside to see out. To the rear, the building had glass blocks plus there is a round ended structure and a curved pool which follow the line of the north-west wall.
New house on the site of the old tennis court,
17 used the awkwardly shaped plot and sloping site
15 this appears as a modest bungalow but it has been enlarged with conservatories and extensions
13a sandwiched between 13 and 15 it uses the awkward site and steep slope
13 by Higgins and Ney and once called “Highbrow”, it is now a diplomatic residence.
11 fairly plain building of red brick

Spaniards Road
The area is the result of the old sand diggings. The road appears as an embankment due to the gravel and sand diggings which brought in an income of the Wilsons, Lords of the Manor. Red and silver sand was used for sanding the floors of public houses. The area had otherwise belonged to Eton College. It is said to have been the site of a gibbet
This is the site of a gate into the Bishop's park, one of those installed before 1227. By the 14th  people had to pay a toll to cross the park. There are boundary stones of the Bishops Park outside the inn,
Inkin Gate. This gateway into Kenwood goes to a path which goes through North Wood and emerges at the top of West Meadow. It was named for Christopher Ikin who was a local Solicitor and Historian
Spaniards Inn. A 16th weather boarded pub, associated with Dick Turpin (where isn’t? – it’s a sort of generic name for the highwaymen who were certainly around here).  It was built in 1585 as part of the tollgate on the Finchley boundary, forming the entrance to the Bishop of London’s estate. The pub is thus in the Borough of Barnet and the tollhouse opposite in the Borough of Camden. There are a number of theories about the name - it is said to be the residence of the Spanish Ambassador to James I, or perhaps a previous landlord was Spanish or named after two Spanish brothers who killed each other in a duel. In the Gordon riots a mob set on looting Kenwood House were detailed there until the soldiers arrived – there were rifles in the bar.  Dickens used this for the scene in Pickwick Papers where Mrs. Bardell is arrested for debt. It has a garden with an artificial mound from which views over London can be seen – and the odd ghost.
Tollhouse. The toll house at the junction of the modern boroughs of Barnet and Camden was built at the entrance to the Bishop’s estate. Traffic here is reduced to one lane nut A proposal to demolish it in 1961 was resisted. Built in the 18th it is a rectangular single storey building.
Erskine House. Next door to The Spaniards Inn and also to Evergreen Hill. This was the home of Thomas Erskine, a leading Whig, involved in reform movement of the 1790s. These estates - Evergreen Hill, and Heath End House - were landscaped with together with Kenwood. Eventually Lord Mansfield, of Kenwood, bought Evergreen Hill
Evergreen Hill.  Built on the site of the original Erskine House and date from 1788. The front is weather boarded with brick behind. The wall at the in front is of red brick from the 18th. There is a plaque to the Barnett’s on the front wall.
Erskine House. This may include parts of a wing of the previous house on site.  
Heath End House. It was the home of Rear-Admiral Sir William Parry, who died in 1855 and later the novelist Hall Caine. Dame Henrietta Barnett and Canon Barnett lived here in 1889 and called it St.Jude's College. It was where they brought young people from the East End, for weekends of clean air. It is part weather boarded
Mount Tyndal - The roundhouse. Modern flat complex.

Turners Wood
Houses for the Hampstead Heath Extension Co. built 1915 by G. L. Sutcliffe

Turners Wood
Source of the Decoy Brook
Bird Sanctuary – private and protected

Wildwood Grove
Built by a local builder in 1866-7.  Surprisingly urban

Wildwood Rise
Spaniard’s Field
2 this house won a Country Life competition. It was built by Cyril Farey and looks modem for 1912-13.
5 stone frontispiece and, Jacobean details; Built 1913 by Field and Summers.

Wildwood Road
This was built up between 1908 and 1914 using mainly brick.. 
4 designed in 1929 by C.H. James and with a black roof
8 the childhood home of Elizabeth Taylor
15 home of Frank Pick, London Transport director lived here 1828-1941
34-42 by C. Cowles-Voysey.
44 by James Bywater
48 by Robert Atkinson. Home of Myra Hess

Wildwood Terrace
Like Wildwood Grove
2 Home of Nikolaus Pevsner from 1936 until his death,

Winnington Road
Braewood. Like a miniature Jacobean mansion with shaped gables
61 Spaniards Mount, designed  by Adrian Scott for himself in 1936.
Hampstead Golf Club. This was founded in 1893 and is the closest golf course to the centre of London.

Wyldes Close
Gates House. This includes putto cast from the Frampton sculpture at Selfridge’s entrance. Built by T. Laurence Dale 1915.
Far End. Built 1911 by Evelyn Simmons for himself
Wyldes Close Corner. Built by Parker & Unwin, 1912
Old Wyldes.  The former farmhouse, timber framed, was built in the 17th.  This is a two-storey lobby-entry house with weather boarded exterior and an 18th extension; another extension, of c.1820, links it to Wyldes.  The area was very isolated in the 18th and the land belonged to Eton College. There is a plaque, erected in 1975, to John Linnell, and to William Blake, who stayed here as his guest.  Dickens stayed here for five weeks in 1837 when it was known as Collins Farm.  From 1884 it was occupied by Mrs Charlotte Wilson, an early Fabian, and became the meeting place of the Hampstead Historic Club, a radical political discussion group.  She remodelled the house in 1885, giving it an oriel window and veranda, and completed the conversion of the barn.  In 1905 the house was threatened by the proposed Underground extension; its site was to be a car park, and Hampstead Way was laid out as an approach road.  Instead, it became the home of Raymond Unwin, the designer of Hampstead Garden Suburb.  He reconstructed the barn as drawing and estate offices. 
Wyldes. The converted barn to Wyldes Farm. It was planned that this should be the car park for an underground extension but instead Hampstead Garden Suburb designer, Raymond Unwin, moved in. used as the drawing and estate offices.

Sources
Behind the Blue Plaques
Blue Plaque Guide
Borer. Hampstead and Highgate
Camden History Record
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names,
GLIAS- Newsletter
Hampstead Golf Club. Web site
Hampstead Heath. Web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Borough of Camden. Web site
London Transport. Country Walks
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Hospitals. Web site
Meulemkamp and Wheatley. Follies
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Miller. Hampstead Garden Suburb
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Night and Day in London
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Spaniards Inn. Wikipedia, web site.
Stevenson, Middlesex
Stokes.  A walk along ancient boundaries in Kenwood
Thames Basin Archaeological Group survey
Troughs and Drinking Fountains
Wade. Hampstead Past
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,