Tuesday, 8 January 2013

River Brent - Greenford - Elthorne Heights

River Brent
The Brent continues to flow south

Open space in the Brent Valley among the suburbs

Post to the north Greenford
Post to the south Hanwell
Post to the east Cuckoo Estate Hanwell

Bridge Avenue
With its adjacent roads this area was laid out before the Great War. Called Elthorne Heights, it was built 1923/4 by the Great Western Land Company, selling four bed houses for £1,000

Brent Valley Golf course
The golf course opened 1910 on land owned by Rector Glasse. The club had been founded in 1909 and the course was designed by J.H. Taylor. In 1938, Ealing Council bought the course to preserve it from being developed and leased it to the Club as a public course. In 1966 the old clubhouse, called the “Dublin House” was demolished, the present one built and the course was remodeled. It is now run by private contractor, MyTime Active.

High Lane
Mayfield Primary School
Recreation Ground

Greenford Road
Recreation Ground, playground on the corner of Stanhope Road,
Ealing Council depot
Baba Whadbhag Singh Trust. This is a Sikh organisation
Bus depot

Studland Road
Laid out by developers before the First World War and street around developed after that.

Windmill Lane
Recalls a 16th windmill
Windmill Nursery and Children’s Centre
Greenford Park Cemetery opened 1902 and laid out with a grid of paths leading to a brick chapel. It was built as a private cemetery, taken over by Greenford Council. There are sine ornamental trees as well as horse chestnut, sycamore, Lombardy poplar and willow. In 2001 a new garden of rest was laid out near the entrance, which has a central lawn, seating, a pergolas, and palms. Nearby is a building with lion bird sculpture on the wall with a trellis. There is also a children's section with a pond surrounded and a sculpture of a dolphin.
White Hart pub. Built in 1908 and now demolished having been burnt down
Greenford Park. Built on area of common land called Upper and Lower Town Fields.  Much of the area belonged to the Marnham family but the fields were bequeathed for charity in 1710.

Sources
Brent Valley Golf Club. Wikipedia Web site.
British History. Hanwell. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Willey. London Gazetteer

No comments: