flows south westwards in a convoluted route
Post to the east Perivale
Post to the west Greenford
Town Football Club. This was formed in 1920 by a group of Geordies working locally who
adopted Newcastle United colours. They moved to the current site, called Reynolds
Field, in 1981 and now have a stand named for Bob Fisher the current chairman.
Enclosure at the A40 junction of water main equipment where the line of the main has crossed the A40
road of the Cuckoo Hall Estate. This is the northern part of the Former drive
leading to the Central London District
Schools, and is planted with horse
chestnuts planted as the approach road,
This square covers is the northern tip of
the LCC Cuckoo Estate was built in 1933-39 on the land of the former Central
London District Schools. It was laid out in the garden suburb tradition,
mostly in 1933-9
school itself was laid out in the grounds of Hanwell Park – but this again is
the northern tip of the estate.
High School. Specialist arts college.
Ruislip Road and the Brent on a 320 ft brick viaduct which was built by the Great
Western Railway 1890s
Leisure Centre. Pool etc. run, as ever, by Greewnich Leisure Ltd.
Lodge this is owned by Ealing Mencap and is a new building from 2000, the second such building here. It is used as a
day and training centre.
Perivale Maternity Hospital. The Perivale Maternity home opened in 1937,
taking over services from the Chiswick and Ealing Maternity Hospital. The
Hospital closed in 1986 and services were transferred to the Maternity Unit at
Ealing Hospital. The Hospital building was demolished and replaced by a Notting
Hill Housing Trust housing development.
Park. This area was cornfields and then sports grounds. Ealing Town Council bought it from the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1934.
London Shooting Grounds. Used by Holland and Holland after they used their
Kensal Rise site and before the moved to Wembley
Park Athletic Track. The track was opened
in 1987 by Linford Christie & Tessa Sanderson. It was laid by Ealing Council's
Recreational Services Ltd. and has had a number of upgrades since including a
Park Golf Course. This is now run by My Time. The water main runs across it under a causway with a line of metal mark posts.
Trailfinders Sports Ground
The Club grounds were owned in the late
1800's by the Great Western Railway and used as a rest area and hospital for their
horses and mules. In 1900 The GWR Sports and Social Club was based here, In
1997 Trailfinders Charity bought the freehold of the club. A brand new second
pavilion was built in 2000. In August 2005 the Old Pavilion was burnt down and there
is now a new pavilion on the site
South Greenford Station.
Opened in 1926 by the Great Western Railway it is approached by footpaths
either side of the embankment from Western Avenue. Despite the name it is north east of the
centre of Greenford, not south. Rebuilt in the 1960 with bus stop style shelters, ticket offices
with steel shutters and big padlocks. ‘Halt’ name removed from the name boards
but GWR benches survived. .
Better. Web site.
Lost Hospitals of London.
Middlesexcountycouncil. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry, North
Trailfinders. Web site
Walford, Village London