River Colne, Duke of Northumberland’s River
The Duke of Northumberland’s River and the
River Colne flow southwards
Post to the north West Drayton
Post to the west Harmondsworth
Post to the south Longford
Built in the gardens of Acacia House
The Lane now meets and becomes Tarmac Way.
The old course of the road, Old Accommodation Lane, is a footpath to the west.
London Hong Kong Restaurant. This is a
former four storey office building. The restaurant chain originated in central
House stood in this area until after the Second World War
Telecom Computer Centre. Four storey data centre building plus workshop for BT vehicles. Dates
Immigration Removal Centre. Opened in 2004. It is modelled on a high security,
Category B criminal prison with wings running into a central area.
Heathrow. American hotel chain.
Research Laboratory. Opened here in 1930 as Road Experimental Station. In 1933 it was taken over
by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. It was here that a scale model of the Moehne Dam was built to test the
bouncing bomb theory. In 1965 it returned to the Ministry of Transport and in 1966 the laboratory
moved to Crowthorne
Footpath from High Street to West Drayton
This track going
north to West Drayton crossing the M4 motorway is an ancient route alongside
which have been found evidence of Saxon huts.
The village is recorded as ‘Hennondesyeord’
in a 14th copy of an Anglo-Saxon charter - that is ‘the fenced settlement of a
man called Heremund’. The Domesday Book
records Vineyards here. In 1069 William
the Conqueror gave the Manor to the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Trinity in
Rouen. They established a cell here in 1211 which was perhaps two priests
living in an ordinary house. There was thus a history of unpopular absentee
Lords of the Manor and in 1281 some of
their buildings were burnt down. In 1391 the
manor passed to Winchester College who commissioned a manor house
Manor farm house. Early 19th building. The
rear part seems older.
to offices. They remain as they were but a new block has been added
Granary. Moved here from elsewhere. Weather boarded and on steddle stones.
St Mary's Church. The church was rebuilt by
the Benedictines and the oldest parts date from the 12th. It has flint walls with stone
dressings. There is evidence of Norman work and a Saxon
sundial on the wall. The Chancel re-built by Winchester College in 1396-8. There is a 15th hammer beam roof over
chapel. The upper stories and battlements of the
tower are 16th topped by an open 18th cupola.
Old box pews and a font of circa 1200. It was not ‘restored’ in the 19th
and thus retains authenticity.
Churchyard. In the churchyard is the tomb of
Richard Cox who perfected the first Cox's Orange Pippin.
Burial ground. This lies beyond the
churchyard. The modest Victorian tombs of the churchyard have been annexed to a
field of rows of marble slabs
Barn. This was commissioned by Winchester
College for the manor farm and its date confirmed by dendrochronology. it was completed in 1427 as the last of a series of barns
built on the site and it is the second longest such barn in England it is of 12 bays and is
some 190 feet long by 36 feet wide by 36 feet high It is thus probably on older
foundations. It is built of tree trunk pillars using no
iron nails. In 1975 it was attacked by fire.
the main posts are carried on square Reigate stone blocks linked by low sleeper
walls and the end walls rest on stone foundations consisting of large blocks of
the local pebbly ferricrete – puddingstone. The roof construction is unusual in
that it is double framed, with purlins to provide lateral strength. Following a
fire and near dereliction it has been saved by English Heritage.
Built 1884 replacing a building which was burnt down.
Five Bells. Timber framed building of about 1600 but which
looks later. It faces the Church
Crown. This Pub has been much renovated and is older than
it looks. It was originally a row of cottages converted Public House. It is 18th
or even 17th
This is outside The Gables Store.
Sun House. 16th building which was once a pub. It is timber framed
with a colour washed brick facade.
Vicarage and Tower House. Built in 1845.
Stables. Next to Howcroft.
New Vicarage. House
which fits in with the older village.
Mintstead. Brick house
with tile hanging.
Village Stores. 1930s
brick and an oversized sign jars.
The Forge. Single
storey building with a 19th house.
The Gable Stores.
19th building with painted brick walls
Gate posts and railings
which belonged to Cambridge House
Acacia Lodge. The main house is dated at 1725. Modern housing in the grounds.
Greenwoods. On the site of the Baptist Church Hall
Howcroft. Part of
the building timber framed, possibly 16th
Home farm. 19th barns and other
Old School House.
Converted into housing. This was Harmondsworth National School built in 1846 by public subscription. With the formation of a School Board a year later it became Harmondsworth Board School. It closed when the new school was built in 1907 and went into commercial use.
Garden walls of
Scotchlake Farm. Various trading units and
Bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s
River with fancy stone coping
Home Farm. ‘Pig City’
Harmondsworth Primary School. The present school was
completed in 1975 in the grounds of the previous school building
Harmondsworth and Longford Community Centre.
This was a school built in in 1907 and is now used as a village Community Centre. Harmondsworth National School was built in 1846. The
school, stood slightly south of Moor Lane. By the end of the 19th century this was
known as Harmondsworth Board School. New buildings were erected here in 1906-7
by the local authority, when it was called a mixed county primary school.
Saxon Way Trading Centre
Summit Centre. This consisted of six units
around a courtyard with a common loading area at the centre. An access road
runs through the middle
Trading and industrial units
British Airways HQ. Waterside. British Airways
originally intended to build "Prospect Park" on Harmondsworth Moor
but a later plan promised that green space would be conserved. Work began on a
derelict site in 1995. The building was opened from late 1997 and May 1998 and
the public park opened in 1998. The architects were Niels Torp with Engineers Cundall,
and Buro Happold. The building has six sections backing onto a glazed atrium each
section representing a continent served by British Airways with appropriately
themed trees. There is a health centre, hairdressing and beauty salon, travel
centre, supermarket, bank, restaurants and cafés and a 400-seater auditorium.
In the offices it is all hot desking. British Airways consolidated several
offices here and there are about 4000 employees
Swan Lake. Landscaped lake at the back of
the British Airways complex
1 Depot. Brick
building with white painted doors.
Harmondsworth Hall. 17th house with
18th chimney and front. In the 20th became a hotel. It also has impressive
The Grange now
called Harvard House. It is dignified and late 17rth. Inside there is restored staircase
with symmetrical balusters a conservatory at the back.
Field. London place names,
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web
London Government. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of
McKean and Jestico. Architecture
National Archive. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Sherwood. Harlington and Harmondsworth
The Kingston Zodiac
Walford .Village London
Waterside. Wikipedia web site