Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Yeading Brook - Ruislip Manor

Yeading Brook
The Brook flows south westwards

Post to the east South Ruislip
Post to south Ruislip Gardens

Bessingby Fields
Bessingby Park. Laid out as part of a 20th council housing development. It mainly consists of playing fields, but there are also flowering trees and a hawthorn lined path. Two flowerbeds near Bessingby Road and some willows may predate the municipal layout.  There is a wildlife area and playground

Bessingby Road
Bessingby Fields Park. Entrance with iron gate piers and gates and a lodge

Dawlish Drive
Lady Bankes Junior and Infant School.  Modern building in the Middlesex County Council style to designs by Curtis and Burchett. Built by developer in 1936 as an addition to the Manor Homes Estate in return for permission to build a church. Lady Bankes, who defended Corfe Castle, was the daughter of 17th residents of Eastcote House.

Elliott Road
This and surrounding roads were built on the site and playing fields of Southbourne School, a secondary modern, which was demolished because of falling numbers in the mid 1980s.

New Pond Farm Fields
Sports pitches on an open space, the southern portion of which is now a school site.

Sidmouth Road
Ruislip High School. This is a secondary school opened in 2006.  It was designed by Scott Brownrigg and built by Miller Construction Ltd
Ruislip Adult Centre

Tiverton Road
St Paul. Consecrated in 1936 having been built by developer, Ball.

Torrington Road
Manor Homes development
The Methodist Church Ruislip Manor. Site bought from developer Ball in 1936.  A hut called the Hall was moved here from near Ruislip Manor Station but was burnt down in 1957. The new church was built in 1978 and a link between old and new churches completed in 1992.

Victoria Road
Black Bull. Built on the site of machinery for producing bricks and mortar by the developer in 1935. It was originally to be called the Brickmakers.  It was refitted in 2002 but is now closed.

West End Road
New Pond Parade. Built on Marl Pit Field, which had been an open field owned by Kings College.

Sources

Bowlt, Ruislip Past
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Ruislip, Eastcote and Northwood LHS, Highways and Byways

No comments: