River Crane and Mill Stream
River Crane and Mill Stream flow
south eastwards parallel to each other
Pevensey Road Nature Reserve. This is the
area to the west of Hanworth Road and partly covers the site of the old Feltham
UDC Sewage Works. It site is dedicated to the memory of a naturalist, Peter
east of Hanworth Road. This is part of the linear park which eventually reaches
Twickenham and the Thames.
classroom. In the park close to Hanworth Road
191 Hounslow Heath Estate
Feltham Marshalling Yard
Feltham Marshalling Yard. This
was a railway marshalling yard designed to administer freight to and from south
west London opened in 1900 by The London and South Western Railway. It closed
in 1969. The site is completely wild
Feltham Cavalry Tunnel. This is
an unlit tunnel which runs for 750 yards under the site of Feltham Marshalling
Yards. It runs adjacent to the rerouted
River Crane and it has been argued it was built to provide relief against flooding
and records of this are in the rail company engineers reports. It is connected in a straight line to the
railway tunnel which allowed the River Crane to go under the main railway line
when it was built. It is however also
believed that this was to provide a pedestrian route across the rail yard
and/or access to the heath for cavalry from the barracks.
Circular earthwork. This has been
described as a ring-ditch 200 feet in diameter
which may have been a prehistoric enclosure.
Sited on a prominence overlooking the river, it has been
suggested that this was some sort of fort or monument.
Royal Mail Jubilee Centre. Large
mail sorting centre built in the late 1990s.
Bridge over the River Crane
Hounslow Cemetery. The Cemetery
was opened in 1869 by Hounslow Burial Board and there were extensions in the
1920s. There are two chapels with a Porte Cochere. . There is a chapel. It has
the Second World War graves of service men from New Zealand. There are also graves of a number of
fairground operators. It is now actually
sited in the London Borough of Richmond.
672 Duke of York. Pub
South West Middlesex Crematorium.
In 1945 a
Joint Board was formed made up of local authorities - Twickenham, Heston, and
Isleworth, Feltham, Sunbury, Hayes and Harlington, Staines and Yiewsley and
Southall. A Private Bill was put to Parliament and a sports ground site
belonging to the Middlesex County Council and in private ownership was
selected. John Denman of Denman & Son architects drew up plans. The crematorium opened in 1954 with two
chapels, offices and a tower which hid the chimney and included the Remembrance
Hall and a board room on the first floor. behind this was the transfer chamber,
two Askam Gibbons gas cremators and staff room. There was also a house for the
superintendent. It was opened by the President of the Cremation Society, Lord
Horder. The facility has been extended since with another chapel and a large
car park. Sculpture includes pelicans on rhea gate piers and St. Michael is slaying the Dragon
on the side of the Ogden chapel. The gardens have been enlarged and there is a North
Garden, a Wild Garden, a Rose Garden and a main lawn.
Mill Farm. This was R.J.Coley's scrap yard specialising,
post Second World War, in aeroplane scrap. Famous, apparently. Closed in 1972
Mill Farm Business Park. This
is 21 brick in a light industrial and trading area
The Millstream re-joins the River
Crane in Crane Park to the north of Crane Island. There is a cascade as it descends to join the
Powder Mill Lane
Free Grace Baptist Church. The
building was opened by the Salvation Army in 1938.
Art of the Estate. Web site
Friends of Crane Park. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Gardens online. Web site
MOLAS. Web site.
Pastscape. Web site
South West Middlesex Crematorium. Web site