Monday, 25 March 2013

River Crane. St. Margarets

River Crane
The Crane flows northwards and is met by a tributary from the west

Post to the south Twickenham and Ham Street Riverside
Post to the north Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside
Post to the west Twickenham Rugby
Post to the east Richmond Central and Riverside and Twickenham Park

Ailsa Road
46 modern movement house built 1935 by Couch & Coupland of Richmond.   

Amyand Park Road
The road is said to be named after Claudius Amyand who came to England as a refugee and became a surgeon and in 1735 he performed the first appendectomy
Amyand Park Chapel. Reformed Evangelical Baptist Church. This was founded in 1889 when 42 bought three plots of land here and built a corrugated iron structure. Those who came to the first service had to bring their own chairs and umbrellas. A new building was opened in 1952

Bandy Close
This is the name of the area running along the railway which to the north is Moormead Recreation Ground. It was vested in the Parochial Schools whose trustees sold it as a public recreation ground

Baronsfield Road
In 1263 a group of barons led by Simon de Montfort gathered in Twickenham Park to persuade Henry III to accept the Provisions of Oxford which placed the government in the hands of feudal lords, hence the name

Bridle Lane
The Old Stables, housing and workplace units in old stable block.

Chertsey Road
Globe Works.  This art deco factory building appears to have been known the Winchester Works. Grigg Motorcycles were in a Winchester works in this area in the early 1920s – but this factory must post date the arterial road built in the early 1930s. The Grigg works may have lain behind houses demolished for the road.  Post war it was used by Bell and Howell the US film equipment manufacturers – or their G B branch, eventually owned by Rank.

Cole Park Road
Stephen Cole was a local brewer whose family lived and brewed locally from the 18th, Cole Park Road reflects this family name.

Crown Road
16a Crown Works. Now converted to housing

Downes Close
Site of Ailsa Park Villas. Of the original ten houses only one remains.  Others were either demolished for the railway or damaged by bombing in the Second World War. In 1838 Dickens family rented number 2.

Haliburton Road
All Souls Church. Built 1896-8 by E. Monson in Red brick. Inside is a war memorial. It replaced a temporary iron church dedicated to Saint Margaret, which had been used since 1886.  The church was closely connected with Christian socialist Stewart Headlam who in old age lived locally and preached at the church. There is a memorial and a plaque to him in the church.

London Road
Ivy Bridge.  This bridge is over the tributary stream to the Crane and was ‘Mother Ivey's Bridge' this is Cornish for Eve and is on the ram's feet, similar name at Glastonbury
Ivy Bridge Retail Park
137 Neville House. This was probably built in 1725, by Captain William Lister of the Foot Guards.  Thomas Twining II acquired it in the mid-19th. It was converted into flats in 1953. 
Drill hall. Air Force Cadets and Air Training Cadets. A new timber hall was recently built to replace an existing Air Force Cadet hut and Nissan huts dating from 1945

Moor Mead Road
Moor Mead Park. Moor Mead was the name of the area north of Bandy Close and used as the recreation ground. To create it the river Crane was diverted to the west. The park is part of River Crane Walk. It has sports areas with a 20th pavilion. It has a cricket club and tennis courts leased to private club.
Moormead Bridge. Built 1902 over the Crane with a commemorative plaque installed by the Cole Park Residents Association.

Northcote Avenue
Northcote Avenue Recreation Ground. Sports area.
Carnegie Hall. Hounslow Furniture recycling project

St. George's Road
Part of the St. Margaret’s Estate
Pleasure gardens. The largest of the three ‘pleasure gardens’ lies between here and Ailsa Road. A lake remains together with some remain of 18th landscape planting. This lake was dug for drainage in the 15th. There are also two iron bridges with segmental arches and a mound at the south end. A number of London planes planted by Batty Langley in the 18th remain near the lake.

St Margaret's
This area was once part of the Twickenham Park estate. There was a big house here in the 1560s with formal gardens once owned by Francis Bacon. He sold it in 1608 to the Countess of Bedford who built a new house and laid out a formal garden, possibly designed by Salomon de Caus. The park was broken up in the early 19th
St. Margaret’s Estate was laid out in the 1850s after the Ailsa Park lands were purchased by the Conservative Land Society and built in the grounds of St Margaret House as a garden suburb by their Architect and surveyor George Morgan. The original design was for family houses laid out around three ‘pleasure gardens; preserving some of the existing gardens between The Avenue and the river. A Trust was set up in 1854 to look them. Housing varies on the estate and some villas are faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor.

St. Margaret’s Road
107 St Margaret's Tavern. This was originally a Temperance hotel, The Lord Lyon, changing in 1881. After a period as a station pub, it has been extended and restyled
St.Margaret's Station. Opened in 1876 it now lies between Twickenham and Richmond on South Western Trains. It was opened by the London and South Western Railway on the line from Waterloo to Windsor.
130 St Margaret of Scotland.  Ruthlessly simple Roman Catholic Church by Williams & Winkley built in 1968. Forticrete concrete block walls, with steel trusses supporting flat roofs. An ingeniously compact plan, based, on a series of rectangles. . A hall can be opened up to the main church at the back and the vestries are below. There is patent industrial glazing apart from two stained glass windows Patrick Reyntiens, the latter an abstract rendition of the Second Coming.  The weekday chapel has Stations of the Cross, and a figure of Our Lady by Lindsay Clarke. Over the altar is a crucifix by Stephen Sykes, a memorial to Father Sidney Dommerson, who commissioned the church and who died within a few days of the building completion. This is the first church by Austin Winkley, who was a member of the New Churches Research Group, founded in 1957 to promote a modern idiom appropriate to the ideas of the Liturgical Movement. Bringing the clergy and laity closer together the Second Vatican Council in 1962-5 saw the acceptance by the Roman Catholic Church of many of the movement's ideas,
134 Downes House.  Stuccoed and built in 1830 it is a contrast to the church next door. Associations with Dickens.  Tile-hung flats in the front garden.  
263 Ailsa Tavern. The pub dates from 1856
Kilmorey Mausoleum. Egyptian style pink and grey mausoleum for the Francis Jack Needham second Earl of Kilmorey.  It was built in 1854 by Mr. Kendall and brought to its present location later. Supposed to be in Brompton Cemetery but he took it around with him.
Kilmorey Wildlife Garden – this surrounds the mausoleum

The Avenue
The earliest houses on the St.Margaret’s estate. Some have a stucco trim and the later ones colourful decorative brickwork

The Barons
Ice rink
Twickenham Film Studios. This is on an old ice-rink site and was opened in 1913 by Ralph Jupp as The London Film Company and was then the largest studio in the UK. Following use by a number of other companies in 1929 it was owned by Julius Hagen and Leslie Hiscott and renamed Twickenham Film Studios. RCA Photophone equipment was installed in order to make talkies. A new stage was added in 1934. The old building was burnt down in 1935 plus all the cameras and equipment.  In the Second World War the Studios took a direct hit from a bomb, and suffered much damage. In 1946 Alfred Shipman formed Alliance Film Studios Limited, controlling the studios and many big box office pictures were made. Guido Coen established Coenda Films, making over a dozen feature films. Then in 1959 Kenneth Shipman formed Bryanston Films making many successful films. The studios were then redeveloped with, in 1961 a new modern recording theatre. Landmark films were made. The studios expanded with Novello Lodge, comprising ten large cutting rooms and eight offices. Richard Attenborough maintained a suite here and Richmond Lodge was built for production offices in in 1975. In 1986 a new Sound Centre was opened   as well as a new theatre. The Studios still continues to build on previous successes

Winchester Road
This was once called Turks Lane
St. Stephens Church of England School. This was opened in 1876 under government inspection and a second building opened in 1896. The older building was demolished
Turks Head pub. On the façade are plaques to William Gomm & Son, Beehive Brewery, Brentford. It is now a Fullers house. It was built in 1902. It has music and a comedy club,
St Margaret’s Works. Tamlin Poultry Products which produced items like wire netting, 1930s-1940s
St Margaret’s Works. Kinco, part of British Metal (Kingston) Ltd, moved here in 1930, and continued until c1963. They continued production of Kinco wares until the outbreak of war in 1939 when they switched to making labels, nameplates and other printed or engraved items for aircraft, etc. The firm moved to new premises in Witney, Oxfordshire and was bought out in 1984. The name 'Kinco' is abbreviated from Kingston-on-Thames

Sources
All Souls Church. Web site
Amyard Park Chapel. Web site
British listed buildings. Web site
CAMRA Twickenham. Web site
Field. London Place Names
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex Churches
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Pevsner and Cherry. . London North West
Stevenson. Middlesex
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Twickenham Studios. Web site
Walford. Village London,
Wikeley and Middleton, Railway Stations, Southern Region,

1 comment:

Howard said...

There was no ice rink in St Margarets, it was a roller-skating rink