The Mymshall Brook flows northwards and is joined by Ray Brook from the
Post to the south Warrengate
Post to the east Waterend Green
Post to the north Waterend
Brick Kiln Wood
The name implies a brick works here.
Royal Veterinary College. The college was founded in 1791. . This can
partly be traced to the need to carry out a post-mortem on race horse Eclipse.
The Veterinary College, London, was opened in St Pancras in 1791, on a site
still used by the college. They received a royal charter in 1875 and in 1949
they became part of the University of London. In 1955 the College acquired a
country estate at Hawkshead and in 1958 the departments of medicine and surgery
moved there. The Queen Mother opened the College's, now demolished,
Northumberland Hall of Residence in 1965, 1986 opened the first phase of the
new Hospital for animals. In 1995 a purpose-built facilities for pathology was
opened in the Mill Reef Pathology Building. In 2003 at the Hawkshead Campus the
Eclipse Building was opened with a Learning Resources Centre and also a Large
Animals Clinical Centre. A Student village was opened in 2011.
Hawkshead farm house. This is 16th brick house with 17th
additions now in other use.
Bridge over the Mymmshall Brook. Narrow brick bridge pre 20th. There
has been recent flooding round the bridge and a yellow graduated marker shows
the river levels.
Ivanhoe Cricket club. Sports ground opposite the Veterinary College.
Floodgates. These are at the Hawkshead Lane junction and are to protect
houses against flooding.
Coal post – a City of London Coal Tax Duty Post stood here, but has now disappeared
Mymms Pumping Station. This now belongs to the Three Valleys Water Company but
was originally built by the Barnet District Gas and Water Company. It pumps water
from the underground chalk aquifers for local households as far away as
Cockfosters. Electric pumps replaced the original power in 1966
Listed Buildings. Web site.
Park Newsletter. Web site
Cricket Club. Web site
College. Web site