Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Mymshall Brook South Mimms

Mymshall Brook
The Mymshall Brook flows northwards and is met by Catherine Bourne from the west

Post to the south Bignalls Corner
Post to the west Catharine Bourne
Post to the east Mutton Lane

A1
The A1 (M) continues northwards from Junction 23 of the M25 as a continuation of the A1
Linear feature which can be seen in aerial photographs of fields north of South Mimms & just west of A1 (M).  This may be a surviving part of the anti-tank ditch built as part of the Outer London Stop Line.

Blackhorse Lane
Town Farm. Red brick house built around 1870 as a small farmhouse. It has been called Town Farm since the 1920s. There is also a brick barn of the same age.  It is no longer a farm.
Sparrow Farm. This stood on the west side if the road and had been built in 1500 and later converted into three cottages.
The Old Police Station.  This operated a horse patrol until the 1920s. It is a brick rendered building now converted to housing. It dates from 1847 when the parish became part of the Metropolitan Police District. Married quarters were added in 1908. It has a date plaque which says ‘1847’ and a porch with columns.
Arlingham House. This is made up of three houses and a pub with an outbuilding. It is now used as offices. It is a rendered brick, building facing onto St Albans Road. The pub was the Red Lion (previously called The Sun) built in 1826 for travellers along the then new St Albans Road

Blanche Lane
War Memorial. This is a stone Celtic cross on a base with inscriptions. It stands on The Green at the junction with St Albans Road. It is thought to have been erected in 1920 as a memorial to local men killed in the Great War with a further inscription added after the Second World War.
Hickson’s Almshouses. These almshouses were built in 1856, as shown by a date in the brickwork on the gable. James Hickson, of the Brewers' Company left land as an income for six alms-houses at Kitts End. They were moved here from Kitts End in 1856 to the site of the closed Cross Keys inn. A mid 19th flint rubble and brick wall, stands in front of them
St Giles Parish Rooms. These were built in 1891 as the local parish hall to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee. It became the village social centre and was licensed for music and ‘dramatic entertainments’ and also included reading rooms and a library
Mymesmead. This is a 17th house converted in the 18th to two cottages and by 1842 was four cottages. Brick ground floor and the outside is roughcast on a probable timber frame.
White Hart. This is a McMullen’s House. 17th timber framed pub at the junction of the old and new St. Albans roads, but put on a new frontage when the St. Alban’s Road was built. Inside is some original 18th plaster panelling and ceiling. As a coach stop on the pre-Telford Holyhead Road the village is said to have had 22 inns
St Giles Church of England Primary School. In 1957 the ‘National’ School moved from the end of Blanche Lane to its present site. The new building was opened by the Bishop of London. 1957, the school had 37 pupils but there are now 105
St Giles church. . It is believed that there was an earlier structure on, or near, the site from the mid-12th century and there is evidence of Norman work. It is a former Middlesex church - thus although it has a 14th century tower without a spike it is embattled and has a stair turret higher than the parapet. It is first recorded in 1136, and in 1154 it was dedicated to St Giles. There were inevitable Victorian restorations when in 1852 a Tractarian vicar who engaged G E Street to plan renovations which were undertaken in 1877... It still has a 13th chancel and a 15th a nave of the 15th. . There is a 13th font (with a 20th cover by Ninian Comper), a chest and a staircase to the former rood loft is preserved.  There are the elaborate tomb chests of the Frowyks as well as brasses, and a tomb with skulls. A statue of Mary was installed in in 1917 in thanksgiving that the Cuffley Zeppelin missed the church. It was in the diocese of London until 1979 and then moved to St Albans diocese and was united with St Margaret’s church, Ridge
Churchyard. The churchyard contains some important tombs and monuments – the Cavendish Bentick Mausoleum, and others.
The Old Vicarage. A vicarage was recorded in 1361 and may have been on the same side of what we know as the Old Vicarage. This is a brick 18th building where lath and plaster internal walls have been found. There are also probably extensive cellars. There is an 18th wall and gate piers adjacent to the road with double gates which give access the stables, cart shed and drive.
South Mymms Village Hall
Howkins Almshouses. Five almshouses, were built in 1652 by John Howkins between the vicarage and the church for accommodate poor women; the buildings were demolished in the 1960s.

Cecil Road
Concrete road bridge which carried the road from Potters Bar over the A1 (M). Built in 1962.
Sewage farm. This lay north of Cecil Road. In 1891 Barnet Rural Sanitary Authority built a sewage disposal works and sewers here in land purchased from the Brewers' Company. This eventually devolved to the Colne Valley sewerage board to whose new central sewage disposal works sewers were connected in 1957.

Frowyck Crescent
Name of local family buried in the church

St. Alban’s Road
Some of this stretch is on the line of old pre-Telford Holyhead Road. The straight Telford designed stretches were at one time the A6
Police cottages. – These are the end houses north of Arlington House

Swanland Road
This is the old Barnet By-pass which was built in the 1930s as the A555. It was re-numbered the A1 in 1954

Sources

British Listed Buildings. Web site
Heritage network. Web site
Hertsmere Council. Web site
London Transport. Country walks
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Middlesex Churches, 
Stevenson. Middlesex
St. Giles Church. Web site
St. Giles School. Web site
Walford. Village London, 
Webster. Great North Road,
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire
Whitelaw. Hertfordshire churches

No comments: