The Colne flows north
east and turns eastwards
TL 20120 06071
Interesting village area between St.Albans and Hatfield. Mill and the remains of a chalk extraction industry.
Post to the north Sleapshyde
Post to the west Parkgate Corner
Post to the south Coursers Farm
Coal duty post. This
was on the north side of the road 50 yards west of the High Street/Tollgate
Road junction. It now appears to be missing.
Coal Duty Post – this
is just south of the roundabout, on the west side of the road and hidden up
against a wall.
Mill House. This
includes Colney Heath Mill which is a tower mill with its sails removed. It was
built around 1862 and is a tarred red brick tower with a cemented top. It worked until around 1906 albeit with a
steam engine. It is now housing.
Fredericks Wood. This
was once ‘Fredericks Plantation’ implying that this is not natural woodland but
an enclosure from Colney Heath common land. It is designated a county wildlife
Colney Heath Warren.
It is thought that soldiers who had fled the Battle of Barnet in 1471 died
here. It was used to grow food during the Second World War and has been a pitch
for the Queen’s Head pub football team.
Colney Heath Farm. Farmhouse
and attached barn. There is a date plaque for 1695 on this timber frame
building with a barn at the far end. A barn on the north side of the farmyard
is 18th in red brick.
This is an acid
heathlands of 60s bordering the river Colne. It is managed by the Parish
Council who acquired it piecemeal in the 1950s and 1960s. It is the remains of
a large common of Tyttenhanger Manor once owned by the Abbot of St Albans. It belonged to Sir Thomas Pope from 1547 but,
local people had commons grazing rights and there were also activities like
prize fighting and cock fighting since it lay outside the Metropolitan Police
area. In 1992 122 plant species were recorded here 18 of which were classed as
scarce. The springs and river normally trickle along albeit in an artificial
channel but there is a major transformation when the upstream swallow holes
fill and huge volumes of water can completely cover the common.
Factory site before housing
88 Crooked Billet Pub.
19th building which is weather boarded on a timber frame
Coal post. South of
the street opposite The Cock on a patch of grass
Colney Heath Village
School. Built in 1966.
School – the original school was built
here in 1814. It may or may not have had anything to do
with The School House now standing in
the High Street. They are on the same site.
Colney Heath Village
Hall. This has a plaque on it which says it was built in 1938 by voluntary
The Cock Pub. Now
closed and likely to be housing
The Queens Head Pub.
The building is 17th and 18th, timber framed with painted
brick outside. A bay is said to have been used for the collection of coal tax.
Now closed and likely to be housing
Chalkdrawers Arms. The name of the pub appears to relate to chalk pits
locally – there are several known shafts for underground chalk mining in the
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Colney Heath Parish Council. Web site.
Colney Heath School. Web site.
Domesday Reloaded. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site.
Images of England. Web site.
London Transport Country Walks
Waymarking. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire