A tributary to
Tykes Water flows north westwards
TQ 19502 96983
The central area of Borehamwood with a wide range of religious, sporting and social activies
Post to the west Borehamwood
Aberford Park Community
Centre. Built and opened 1996
Meadow Park. The
park opened in the early 1960s. It has a number of sports areas. It is home to
a number of football and other teams. There are more general park areas with a
teenage shelter, a mural, picnic areas etc.
(Although the mural is all about football too – and had now been removed)
Football stadium with one seated stand, a covered terrace and two un-covered
Bowls Club. Borehamwood Men's Bowls Club was founded in 1956. In 1963 the
ladies club was founded. The ladies only had one rink, and the men had four but the ladies
could only use them when the men didn’t want them. Many women didn’t have cars
and the last bus was very early, and they often missed it. In 1993 the Ladies Club formally
joined the Men's Club, at the insistence of Hertsmere Council. In 1996 a new Club House was built
Football Club Ground. The Club was founded in 1948, as
an amalgamation of Boreham Rovers and Royal Retournez.
Football Club. This team was formed in 1987 and have won many major trophies. They
have the backing of the main club and several staff members as well as are
elite training programme.
This was built after the Great War but by the 1940/50s it was out of use and
the area was used for landfill.
Aberford Park. The
land was bought by the local authority in stages from 1888. A tree avenue leading to Croxdale
Road was planted by local school children and each tree represents Borehamwood
school. There are two
children's play areas, along with
a skate park and 'extreme' sports area as well as a sensory play. Graffiti projects
are carried out on the walls of the multi sports area.
Aberford Lake. The
lake is a damned tributary to Tykes Water. It allows surface water to be collected and drained from the local area.
Catholic School. In 1936, the local Catholic priest arranged
the purchase of a piece of land where the school was built. It eventually
opened in 1957
Elstree Synagogue. This was established in 1955 and is growing fast. Work is underway to extend the existing
All Angels Church. The church was built
in 1955 by N.F. Cachemaile-Day. The striking
glass is by Mary Adshead. The foundation
stone having been laid by Princess Margaret. The bell came from the mortuary chapel at Ayot St Peter, donated by
Charles Willes Wilshere of The Frythe in 1876.
1970s public buildings – at that time set among industrial buildings.
St. Theresa of the
Child Jesus Roman Catholic Church. In 1925,
the first Roman Catholic mass was celebrated here in a house called The Grange
which had a chapel. In 1939 a second Roman Catholic hall was built on this
site. This was used as a social hall but in the Second World War was taken over
by the Ministry of Food. The church was built in 1962 using as Architects FX
Velarde Partnership of Liverpool. It was consecrated in 1978. Red brick with pyramid shaped turrets.
Theresa Parish Centre. In 1932 the Parish Centre was opened as a church. It was
also used as a social centre where dances were held. In the 1990s it developed a
serious subsidence problem and once again, major building work was required.
Legion. Hall and Club
Cowley Hill Primary
School and Nursery
Arsenal Football Club. Web site
Borehamwood and Elstree Synagogue.
Borehamwood Bowls Club. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web
Hertsmere Borough Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire,
St Michael and All Angels. Web site
St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.