Monday, 27 May 2013

River Ver - Park Street

River Ver
The Ver flows south and south west

Post to the east Hedges Farm
Post to the south How Wood

Burydell Lane
Berrydell Lane is the spelling on the 1870s OS
Smithy in the lane in 1899
Berry Dell woodland
Burydell Lane Allotment Site is a green space which has an active tenants group in the Burydell Allotment Association
Toll Cottage. This is a 17th timber framed house which has been divided, but is now one property. On one side is built of brown and blue mixed brick with a weather boarded ground floor from the 18th. There is a chimney with a brick bake-oven which has ingle fire-place inside. The cottage is surrounded by a low flint wall
Terrace of five cottages which replaced three thatched cottages in 1846.
Watercress beds were established here in the late 19th
Village Green leased for watercress beds in the 1880s

Park Street
Park Street was part of the land given by Offa to St. Albans monastery in 793
52 18th building which has been part of larger building, the rest was demolished. It is Red brick, with blue headers
61-63 this was originally a single early-15th late medieval hall house with a parlour added in the 16th
65 - 67 17th timber framed buildings.
68 a16th timber framed building with remains of a jettied front.
42 The Swan 19th pub. Closed in 2008 and turned into housing,
Red brick terraces were built on Cooks Field and the mill gardens in the late 19th.
Park Street Village Hall

St Julian’s Wood
Owned by St Albans Council

Watling Street
St. Albans Corporation sewage works. This was built in the 1890s on land which had previously been irrigated with sewage.  In 1893 three tanks and sludge-pressing plant were installed and ten years later treatments beds were dug followed by a system of septic tanks. By 1911 they had had to be rebuilt again.  This consisted of a sedimentation tank and the resulting sludge being dug into trenches. The effluent was then filtered and finally passed into the Ver. It was later closed and used as a depot.
Park Street Station.  The station lies between St. Albans Abbey and How Wood on London Overground Line to Euston via Watford Junction. This dates from the 1890s replacing an earlier station on a different site to the south - the original station opened with the line then closed within a few months. It was built by the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway, as “Park Street and Frogmore”.  In the 1890s it was reopened and resited here, near the Watling Street crossing. A station and station house were built in 1890  but the station was demolished and rebuilt in 1959.
Station Terrace on the west side of Park Street was built on Fallow Field in 1913.
Railway Bridge  - The London North Western Railway Company Watford to St Albans line (1858) crosses over the Watling Street on a high embankment. The original brick bridge has been replaced by a steel one.


Sources
British Listed Buildings Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Rushden Echo. Web site
St. Albans City Council. Web site

No comments: