The Colne flows south westwards
TQ 12498 981761
This square covers Junction 5 Berrygrove Interchange between the M1 and Western Avenue A41. North of that is 1930s housing and beyond that industrial Watford. A small oasis might exist round Busheymills Bridge - however it is, after all, Watford
Post to the north Meriden Estate
Post to the west Watford North
Berry Grove Lane
World War concrete pill box in a field
Busheymill Grid Substation
Coal post east of the bridge has
Colne Valley Linear Park
Top Golf. American golf driving
range – hard sell with lots of booze.
This section – north of Junction
5 was the original bit of the motorway – Britain’s first official motorway
opened in 1959.
Berrygrove Interchange. Junction 5.
This junction is a large roundabout over the top of both roads, and slip roads
up from each road. It was originally built as a roundabout on the A41 Watford
Bypass at the bottom end of the M1 in 1959. When the M1 was extended south it
became, on a roundabout interchange between the A41 and M1. A connection to the
A 4008 into Watford town centre was added later, downgrading the roundabout's
North Western Avenue.
This is the A41, here the Watford
Bypass. In the 1920s and 1930s many radial
roads had become congested because of population grown along the extending
Underground network, and bypasses were needed. A Watford bypass was built and
opened in the mid 1920s and was first numbered the A 4088 then the A500 and
then renumbered A41 after the Second World War. It travels parallel to the M1
in a north-westerly direction mostly as a wide single carriageway, one lane
each way. It widens before the last junction with the M1 at Berrygrove which
was the original southern terminus of the M1. The road then changes back to the
original wide single carriageway with houses set back from the road.
Boxmoor & District Angling Society. The society has fishing
rights on the Colne between the A41 and M1 bridges
Otterspool House. An old
coaching inn, now student housing. Built in the 18th with later extensions and
links to a late 18th house. The main house is in brick and the Original front
now faces the garden.
Otterspool House garden. Remains
of a large 18th grotto probably associated with the drinking of
waters from the nearby pool
Pill box. Type 24.
On a small island next to the carriage house. This is associated with the western section of the Second
World War anti-tank ditch in Hertfordshire as part of the Outer London Defence
Ring. The Ring made use of the River Colne to form a natural barrier along
parts of this stretch.
A41 Sabre Roads. Web site.
Berrygrove Interchange. Sabre Roads. Web site
Boxmoor and District Angling Society. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Heritage Gateway. Web site
Hertsmere Council. Web site
M1 Wikipedia web site