Thursday, 5 September 2013

River Bulbourne Bank Mill

River Bulbourne
The Bulbourne flows south eastwards

This succession of mill sites lie to the east of the town of Berkhampstead in the valley of the Bulborne stream where occupied sites lie alongside both the stream, the Grand Union Canal and the A40 road.

Post to the west Berkhamsted
Post to the south Long Green

Bank Mill Lane
This is the original road from London to Berkhamsted replaced by the 18th turnpike road.
New Lodge. This is now a development site of a previously derelict house and grounds. New Lodge itself is an 18th house with 19th additions possibly on the site of an earlier house.
102 Lock Keepers Cottage. Now a private house. Early 19th house with an entrance from a raised level at the lock side. A single-storey outbuilding is against the canal retaining wall, separated from the cottage by a flight of steps that lead to the canal towpath and the front of the house.
Bank Mill Bridge – the abutments appear to be contemporary with the canal.

Bullbeggars Lane
Bridge over the River Bulbourne
Bridge over the Canal
Bridge over the railway.

Canal
Grand Junction Canal. This section was part of the Grand Junction Canal, built to link the Oxford Canal at Braunston with the Thames at Brentford. It was constructed with a wide channel to encourage commercial traffic, but its links to other canals were kept so narrow that only the standard 2-metre craft were able to use it.   It reached here in 1798.
Winding hole just South of Berkhamsted below Lock 56, but North of Bank Mill Bridge
Bank Mill Bridge
Top Side Lock. This had some renovation work in the 19th and remains operational
Bank Mill Wharf.
Bullbeggers Lane Winding hole
Bank Mill Second Bridge

George Street
This end of the road is private and not made up

Hall Park
22 Patchwork garden with rockeries, ponds, and trees

Ivy House Lane
Sunnyside  Church. St. Michael and All Angels. An ‘iron church’ had been opened in George Street and eventually a new church was planned for this site in Ivy House Lane. The architect was Philip Johnston and the materials local with flints partly dug on site and Totternhoe stone used inside. The land was donated by Earl Brownlow. The Foundation Stone was laid in 1908. Some features from the original church were moved there. The iron church remained as a church hall but in the 1990 a new hall was opened nearer the church.

London Road
Old Mill. This pub is in what was the Mill House. This is an 18th house in brick. The pub opened following the closure of the mill itself.
Mill building. The mill is likely to be the East Mill mentioned in ancient records or the Lower Mill described in the 17th. It was closed in the late 1890s when there had been a fire.
Mill leat, which runs eastwards from its junction with the canal. This covers the site where there had once been a mill pond. A dam structure reamed here until alterations in the 1990s.
The Old Mill Cottage attached to the mill building.

Sources
Archaeology Data Services. Web site
Archaeological Services Co. Web site.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Sunnyside church. Web site

No comments: