Bulborne flows south eastwards
Post to the north Boxmoor
Post to the east Two Waters
A41 from the M25 and the Tring bypass was opened in 1993. This section was
built by Amey Construction Ltd. The road is built to dual 2 lane standard with
grade separated junctions. The road comes alongside the west-coast main line,
crosses the and crosses the London Road
was the A41 but lost its primary status when the bypass was built and became
the A41. This road is now the A4251
House. Hemel Hempstead Community Church. This was a warehouse belonging to the
gas works. It is leased to an evangelical group as a church and community base.
site of the now demolished Princes Arms, later called Hooden in a Box. There is
some speculation if this name relates to Snooks' grave, or to the traditional
Baptist Church. 1826 this was between Stratford Way and Russell Place and
closely associated with the family of the Missionary, William Carey, after whom
the Baptist Church in the Marlowes is named. In 1822 through of Carey’s sisters the church was
built. 16 people formed a Christian Church of the Particular Baptist
Denomination and by 1863 the church was too small. It was pulled down and a
larger one built although that too was too small. Numbers declined in the mid
20th. A burial ground to the rear was apparently cleared in 1984.
Duckhall – this, now used as the name of the gasworks,
relates to an area around where a loop of the Bulbourne nears to London Road.
There was a Duckhall House somewhere nearby.
Gas works. The gas works here dates from the late 1860s
and follows a number of attempts to set up a gas supply in the area. In 1878 The Hemel Hempstead District Gas
Company was set up and the rival companies, whose mains were already being used
by the new company, were dissolved. The
works was supplied with coal via a special extension of the Harpenden and Hemel
Hempstead Railway. The works closed in 1960 but holders remain - erected in 1900 to Cutler’s Patent design
Mine. The chalk mine is on common land
and sealed. Its’ name was ‘Rough down Mine’ and in 1897-1906 it was owned by
William Glover. In 1907 it was owned by Esau Cheshire, who employed three men
below ground there. In 1916 the entrance to the mine at the base of the pit was
sealed. Later Investigations inside the mine showed the chalk was criss-crossed
with orange clay and there were remains of a railway visible on the floor.
However it is thought a much larger area of workings lies in an area unsafe to
investigate. . A narrow gauge railway could be traced in a line of hummocks and
led to a slope out of the quarry.
caves. These were created in 1994 in the old chalk workings by the Hertfordshire
and Middlesex Bat Group and the Vincent Trust.
Roughdown. Juniper is growing here on the chalk as well as pyramid orchid which
attracts burnet moths
Roughdown, This field was given to the Boxmoor Trust to compensate for land
taken for the A41 Bypass road. It has been seeded with chalk land grass and
or Princess Court. Housing built in what was the yard of the Princes Arms and
apparently named after it.
Hempstead Station The station lies between Watford and Berkhamsted station on the West Coast Main Line. The station was opened by the
London and Birmingham Railway in 1837 as Boxmoor
station. It was the first terminus on Robert Stephenson’s innovative railway to
Birmingham to which trains first ran in 1838. There was considerable opposition
to the building of the line and the station locally and thus the station was
sited outside the adjacent urban areas. In 1912 it was renamed Boxmoor and Hemel Hempstead by the London
and North West railway and in 1930 it was renamed Hemel Hempstead and Boxmoor.
Following nationalisation it became known as Hemel Hempstead from 1963. From
1877 to 1948 there was also a junction here with a Midland Railway line to
Harpenden but there was no direct connection and that line terminated at the
This covers the area of a siding
Trust. Web site
Speleological Society Newsletter.
Hempstead Station. Wikipedia Web site
Dacorum. Web site
Engineering Heritage in London and the Thames Valley