Sunday, 27 October 2013

River Chess Latimer Park

River Chess
The Chess flows south-eastwards

Post to the west Blackwell Hall
Post to the south Latimer

Frith Wood

Latimer Park
This is a landscape park which Lancelot Brown may have advised about.  The estate passed to Elizabeth Cavendish and her husband in the early-1750
Tower, this was a folly by a waterfall on the Chess, It has now gone. The Tower Weir holds the water in the Great Water at its western end.

Parkfield Wood
This area is part of a much altered area of the pleasure grounds of Latimer Park. Buildings of what was the National Defence College and housing encircle the wood. It was originally planted on a hitherto open paddock in the mid 19th from which some specimen trees remain.

Stockings Spring Wood

The Grove
This area is a much altered part of the remains of the pleasure grounds of Latimer Park. Most of the early plantings have now gone.

Tooleys Croft
Cave dell. The Cave was a folly. now gone.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
UK Parks and Gardens. Web site

No comments: