Gade flows south eastwards
This is still essentially a country area surrounded by woods and fields but along the valley of the Gade the parallel road and the Grand Union Canal once passed some of the mills of the Dickinson paper making empire, now largely replaced by big shed retail.
Post to the west Two Waters
Post to the south Nash Mills
Belswaines Primary School. This was a replacement for Apsley Manor School in 1949. What remains now is part of what was a much
Belmont Road Baptist Church. Founded in 1954 to ‘serve
Belswaines House. This seems to have been on the site
of the current Dell Meadow housing.
Belswaines Farm. A short length of wall parallel to
Oliver Close remains from the farm. The farm was demolished for housing.
The canal crossed Belswains Lane near to Oliver Rise. It was realigned following legal action by John Dickinson
is close to the centre of Bennetts End and forms part of the open ridge feature
of the area.
Part of the road is a trading and industrial area with
engineering works, instrument makers, etc in the 1960s
The canal’s original route was to the north of the present
line. It ran from where Ebberns Road is now. John Dickinson got an injunction
to divert the canal south because of water supply difficulties
Top Lock. 65
building used as a lock cottage
Top Lock Bridge 153
Lock 66. Also known as Bawdy Lock – or Boardy Lock to estate agents.
Waterways Apsley Depot. Carries out canal repair functions.
Lock Concrete Footbridge. There is a garden area between the canal and the Gade
–the bridge covers both waterways and goes on to Sainsburys.
pumping station. This was present in the 1920s between the canal and the river
The Salmon .this pub was between the church and modern buildings. Salmon Meadow was used for local sports but was later bought by Dickinsons for factory expansion
Mary. The church was consecrated in 1871, and was funded by
Charles Longman and other partners in Dickinson’s mills Longman
had wanted to build a church as a memorial to his wife, Anna Maria, who had
died in 1860. Built to inspire the workforce at the mills it is an
important local landmark. Designed by Joseph Clark It is in the style of the
geometrical architecture of the 13th built the tower uses a simpler
and earlier style. The south wall has a facing of stock brick showing that the
church was left unfinished. There is a wooden memorial to the fallen of the
Great War moved here in 1971. Before the church was built this area was in the
parish of Kings Langley and called Snatchups End, it was then transferred to
Apsley, as Apsley End.
Nascent House, the drugs rehabilitation centre, was originally The Prince Albert Public House
End Cottages. Built in 1898 and designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Mill. A mill is listed here as at Domesday.
It was used for grinding corn. George
Stafford made hand- made paper here, in the late 18th and it was bought as a
going concern by John Dickinson in 1809. Dickinson was in partnership with George Longman, and installed his own
version of the papermaking machine at Apsley which was very successful. In the
late 1840s a machine to make envelopes was developed here. By 1815 Apsley
had three machines powered by steam. Apsley Mills grew considerably over the years and became part of a large
site operated by Dickinsons in the Gade Valley – and Dickinson’s were to spread
beyond Hertfordshire and to produce internationally recognized brands of stationary
and a world leader. They left Apsley in
the late 1990s.
on the site of the Apsley Mills. This covers the northern end of what, by the 1970s, was the vast area of the Dickinson Mill. Buildings were numbered and by the cash point is a plaque with some of the original building identifiers.
Road Baptist Church. Website
Primary School. Web site
Listed Buildings. Web site
The Endless Web
History of British Paper Making
Langley History Society. Web site
Mills Parish Council. Web site
Walk Along the Towpath
Church. Web site.