Gade flows southwards
Post to the north Hunton Bridge
Post to the south Jacotts
Grove Mill Lane
Grove Mill. Water powered brick corn mill. There had
been a mill on this site for centuries, possibly from Domesday. The old mill
was probably burnt down in the early 19th and the current building
erected around 1875 and worked until 1922. It was converted into flats in 1971.
It had previously been owned by British Rail.
Grove Mill Cottage. Remains of an 18th
coach house and stables. The group was originally U shaped.
Grove Mill House. Also called The Dower House after
its sale in 1922. This is an 18th brick house. There were landscaped
grounds with greenhouses and shrubberies to the north east. Refurbished 2009
before which it had been home to Fanny Craddock.
Water wheel and pump. These are north west of the mill
house and are at the head of a stream going to the Gade
Canal Bridge. This was altered in the 19th
and has brick abutments and iron railing.
Gade Bridge. 19th single arched brick
bridge with a plaque saying it was built by the Parish of Watford.
This was housing for servants at the Grove Mill House. It is a 19th
house replacing and earlier one
Old Mill House.
19th house in brick with faince ware window cills. This was
owned by British Rail who used it for employees housing’
Canal Cottage. Built by the Canal Co. around 1800 for
the lock keeper. It has some 19th additions.
Heath Farm House. This is an 18th building
around a 17th building which was divided into flats in the 1960s and
following some neglect it was divided into three units and houses built around
it called Heath Farm Court.
Early Bronze Age pottery found nearby
Grove House. The site is first noted in 1294 and described
as a Manor and there was a Tudor house here rebuilt in 1703. In 1753 the site
was acquired by the future Earl of Clarendon.
The current house dates from the 18th and was altered
by Robert Taylor perhaps in 1756, and later enlarged. Artist George Stubbs painted horses
in the stables here. In the mid 19th
the 5th Earl gave house parties for the Queen and her followers. From the 1920s
it was in corporate use as a school and other uses. It was bought
by London Midland and Scottish Railway Company as their secret headquarters
during the Second World War. It later became the British Rail Management
Centre. It later became a hotel to which has been added the golf centre
Black Walnut. A tree growing near the terrace is said
locally to have been presented to the Earl of Clarendon by Captain Cook
Bridge. The drive passes over a balustraded bridge from
around 1800 across the Grand Union Canal. It is a ‘roving’ bridge
carrying the tow
path over in whitewashed brick.
Timber Yard cottage
Six air raid shelters are still extant and a designated
wild life site. They are now home to a large
colony of Pipistrelle bats.
Works. The drought of 1933/34 reduced
the water level and in 1935 proposals were made for a new pumping station at
the Grove by the Watford water company and this opened in 1941.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Canalplan, Web site
The Grove. Web site
Three Rivers Council. Web site
Watford Council. Web site
Watford Observer. Web site