The Colne flows north west and south west
Post to the north Royal Masonic School
Post to the east Rickmansworth
Post to the south Stockers
Aquadrome. This old gravel working was set up as a leisure facility in the 1930s and came into local authority ownership after the Second World War
This follows a field boundary which connects to Meadow and Winchfield Way, as the Mill End/Rickmansworth and Rickmansworth/Chorleywood parish boundaries. The boundary continues along the ends of gardens between Shepherd's and Pheasants Way.
The lane was built in 1740 by the then owner of the Bury to connect it with Rickmansworth Park House which he also owned.
The Bury. The manor of Rickmansworth was given to the Abbey of St Albans by Offa, in the 8th. They built a farm near the church, and drained the ground drained. In the 19th a stone was found inscribed ‘1327’ carved in it which may be from this farm. After the Dissolution it passed to the Bishops of London and then to a succession of families. The house was improved probably by John Hewitt in the 1620s. In the late 18th Henry Fotherly Whitfeld added an orangery and refurbished other parts of the house. In 1843 it was bought by John Taylor a local a coal and coke merchant who built a canal from the river to the front of the house with a wharf used parts of house as a warehouse. Repairs were carried out by successive later owners but the property was eventually auctioned and by the 1930s was owned by Rickmansworth Urban District Council. In the Second World War it became the local Civil Defence headquarters, and afterwards was taken over by Hertfordshire County Health Authority and used as a health centre until the 1980s. It was boarded up and in 1991 was damaged in a fire. It has since been converted into housing.
Beresford Almshouses. These are made up of four homes built in 1894; John Beresford was Sheriff of Hertfordshire in 1657. He died in 1663 and left property in Rickmansworth High Street to allow old people to live here rent free. In 1807 the properties were replaced and later some land sold and these houses built with the proceeds.
The Gables. Red brick house
WRVS Centre. With lunch club, toy library, etc.
Beesoms Yard. In the 19th this was a builders yard
Ebury Rooms. Opened 1901 donated by Lord Ebury and now used for events and hospitality
Bridge – this was at one time a ford/water splash
This was built on land acquired from Cedars House estate and developed by Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Limited – ‘detached residences of the Country House type and Bungalows of artistic design. Each property having and acre of land’.
Westerley Care Home
Dual carriageway constructed between 1967-1971 by William Old Ltd
Cemetery. This is closed for new internments. It was built on land bought from Parsonage Farm in 1856. Now closed the chapel is now housing. There is a war memorial and graves from both world wars
Constructed between 1967-1971 by William Old Ltd
1st Rickmansworth Scouts Hut
British Legion. Opened 1923
Swimming pool. This was at the back of the houses on the edge of the Town Ditch and built in 1909. The site appears to be that of the garages on the north side of Town Ditch connected to Goral Mead
On the site of industrial buildings. In the 18th the site was called Gorrals and the site of a brewhouse used by local brewer, Skidmore. Operated 1692 - 820
18 red-brick, semi-detached building which has been extended and altered and used as both an office and a home
24 this has been a betting office, a builder’s yard and is now an office.
72, 72a, 72b this is an 18th house now shops and offices. Altered but with a timber frame
78 Boots. Site of Methodist Chapel from which a bricked-up ornamental doorway is still present in the side wall.
93-95 W.H.Smith shop with offices and newspaper distribution room. Built in 1927 by A.H.Lister and F.C.Bayliss in brick. In the centre front are glazed double recessed doors and on either side pier cases and the illustrator R.P.Glossop's egg logo in brass showing ‘WHS’ and panels of decorative tiles with words and pictures sports/books, maps &/guides, children's/toy books and travel/books.
94-102 High on gable is a plaque to commemorate the 1682 Fotherley Alms-houses. The Fotherly or Manor Almshouses were built and endowed in 1682 by John Fotherly, Lord of Rickmansworth manor. Demolished 1936 and building was erected and was at one time a Woolworths
The Queen’s Arms. This was next to the almshouses
Station Road junction – this was where the turnpike from Pinner to Uxbridge met the road to Chorleywood
106-110 Late 19th gothic buildings.
115-117 The Pennsylvanian. Wetherspoon's Pub. Opened in 1993
116 site of the Foresters Arms
133, 133a & 133 – 16th house, now shop and surgery.
135 site of a pub called the Cart and Horses. Closed in 1964
142 -144 Rickmansworth Flooring. House and shop built in the 17th and later altered. Probably timber framed. This was the master’s house for Parsonage Road Infants School.
153 Urban Vine this was the Hogshead previously and originally built as a bank, London and County Bank built a bank there which became Westminster Bank. As NatWest they later moved next door
159 Nat West Bank. Next door to it was the Sugar Loaves pub which closed in 1887.
163 Three storey commercial properties from early 19th
177-179 Police Station built in 1897 and closed in 1952. It was also the site of the cage.
181 Ocean Blue Kebab and Fish House. On the wall is a plaque to the Rickmansworth Volunteer Fire Brigade set up here in 1869 by Dr. Henderson. There were two engines here with a room above where the firemen met, and on the top floor a flat for the caretaker.
183 Fox and Hounds. Public house. Probably 17th but enlarged and extended. Probable timber frame. Until 1960 it was the meeting place of the Foresters Friendly Society
195 Marks and Spencer. Site of silk mill built in the 1830s by Thomas Shute. This remained until 1881. The building then became a jam factory and from 1891 was used for soft drinks manufacture by the Franklin Brothers. The business closed in 1987 and became a drinks warehouse but was demolished in 1991.
205 Druids. This is a rugby themed pub which used to be The Western. The pubs name comes from its owner, Alan "Druid" Walters who is a former Welsh Colts and U21 Rugby International.
This follows a field boundary which connects to Belfry Lane and Winchfield Way, as the Mill End/Rickmansworth and Rickmansworth/Chorleywood parish boundaries. The boundary continues along the ends of gardens between Shepherd's and Pheasants Way.
Rickmansworth Lawn Tennis Club
Name of the district
A field boundary runs along the backs of gardens
Langdale Lodge. Site of Parsonage Road Infants’ School which opened in 1854 on part of Town Field which belonged to Parsonage Farm. In 1874 an enlarged school for girls and infants was built here.
Royal Mail sorting office
Rickmansworth Telephone Exchange.
Collective Dance College. The building has been used for dance since the 1920s.
Dual carriage way constructed between 1967-1971 by William Old Ltd
Station roundabout constructed between 1967-1971 by William Old Ltd
Police Station. The police station opened in 1952 and closed in 2011 and is replaced by a supermarket.
Long Island Exchange. Previously the Victoria Hotel which opened in 1888 opposite the station. The building was said to have been built in 1887 as two semi-detached houses called Douglas Villas
Rickmansworth by Pass
Built in the 1930s
Constructed between 1967-1971 by William Old Ltd
Ebury Play Area
This continues a field boundary which connects to Meadow Way, Winchfield Way and Belfry Lane, as the Mill End/Rickmansworth and Rickmansworth/Chorleywood parish boundaries.
Meeting house in what had been the White Hart Inn. Used as an early Methodist meeting house, probably with the Baptists and Quakers
Rickmansworth Station. Opened in 1887 it lies between Chorleywood and Harrow on the Hill on Chiltern Railways Line and between Chorleywood and Moor Park on the Metropolitan Line. It was built when the Metropolitan Railway Line extended to Chesham and was opened by Watkin as part of his vision for extending the Metropolitan Line. Special buses run by the Metropolitan Railway went to the Chesham Crown Hotel before the line was opened. There are bright red metal girders supporting the roof of the platform - a big contrast to the rest of this 19th building. Until 1961, it station was the changeover point from steam to electric traction for Metropolitan Line trains to London. It is still the changeover point for drivers on the Metropolitan Line and London Underground trains en route to Amersham stop here for five minutes to change train staff. It is also the headquarters of the northern section of the Metropolitan and signals on the line from Northwood in the south to Watford/Chorleywood in the north are controlled from here.
New rolling stock sidings in 1960s where Metropolitan Line trains are housed.
This was part of the turnpike from Pinner and called Chorleywood Lane
This road appears to have been built to encircle the site of the farm.
Parsonage Farm House. This is now divided into five. It is a 17th building later altered. It has a timber frame and a brick extension with an 18th front which is whitewashed. There is a brick dairy extension at the back and also a weather boarded block. Granary – this is 17th with a timber frame and cement steddle stones
The Cedars, this was on the corner of Park Way, It was built in 1720 for Christopher Cock, auctioneer of Covent Garden. In the 1860's it became a private school for boys and later a training college for Congregational Ministers. In 1884 it was bought by the Inebriates Society and was demolished in the 1930s.
91 Halfway House, 17th half timbered building now a Pub
A field boundary runs along the backs of gardens
This follows a field boundary which connects to Meadow Way and Belfry Lane, as the Mill End/Rickmansworth and Rickmansworth/Chorleywood parish boundaries. The boundary continues along the ends of gardens between Shepherd's and Pheasants Way.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Commonwealth War Graves. Web site.
Day. London Underground
London Transport. Country Walks
Rickmansworth Historical Society. Web site
Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire. Web site
Rickmansworth Station. Wikipedia Web site.
Rickmansworth Tennis Club Web site
The Bottle Dump. Web site.
Three Rivers Council. Web site
Wessex Archaeology. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire