Sunday, 24 November 2013

River Misbourne Chalfont Park

River Misbourne
The Misbourne flows southwards
TQ 01367 89899

Big houses now in other use in area which is generally pretty posh

Post to the west Orchehill
Post to the south Oakend
Post to the north Denham Lane

Chalfont Park
The estate was once part of Brudenell’s Manor in the 15th.  Following the Civil War they became Crown property and in 1688 passed to George (Judge) Jeffries. By the mid-18th it was owned by members of the Churchill family and Charles Churchill commissioned John Chute to rebuild the house in Strawberry Hill Gothic style.  The estate was sold to the Hibbert family in 1794 and changes to the house were made by John Nash.  More changes were made by Anthony Salvin in the mid 19th. The house passed through a sucession of other owners eventually becoming a hotel. It later was a technical centre for British Aluminium and Citrix Systems.  The house is cement rendered with battlemented parapets and has a central porch flanked by battlemented turrets. There is also a conservatory. Inside is a 17th stone fireplace and an 18th staircase.
Grounds. Lancelot Brown laid out the grounds including damming the Misbourne to form a lake. Later changes were made by Repton under Thomas Hibbert
Icehouse. This was domed and covered with a mound and is said to date from 1797.  It may have been built into the hillside.
Round Copse
Square Copse
Oakend Wood
Quarters Wood

Denham Lane
Chalfont Lodge. Built on the site of Tilehouse Farm. Brudenell’s Manor was here.  Between 1869 and 1875 it was the home of Leicester Hibbert Master of the Old Berkeley Hunt, The house was in its own extensive grounds. In 1930 it became a girl’s school, with an open air swimming pool and riding stables. This closed after the Second World War and the house became a training centre for banking staff and the site is currently in use as a nursing home,
Tile works. In 1315 William ate Noke was making tiles here.  This was probably at or near Tilehouse Farm
Moat. Moated site north west of Chalfont Lodge is an example of a single island type. The enclosure is square and relatively small, with a surrounding ditch. There is no evidence for a causeway, and access to the island was probably by a timber bridge. It was probably a subsidiary holding of one of the medieval manors in the area or hunting lodge,
Coldharbour Farm Cottages

M25

Slade Oak Lane
Coldharbour Farm. Owned by the Department of Transport

Sources
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Hunt and Thorpe. Gerrard’s Cross

No comments: