River flows southwards
Post to the west Uxbridge Moor
Post to the north Uxbridge
Post to the south Cowley
Post to the east RAF Uxbridge
View. In the 1880s this was the name of two houses on the south side built at
right angles to the road.
Surgery. Burr Hall. . This is built of “Cowley”
bricks – most of them are seconds, or “burrs”. This was a Methodist Chapel built
Cowley Brick Pub. Closed. There was a considerable brick making industry in the
area – 19th architects sometimes specifying ‘Cowley brick’ – a light
brown stock brick. The pub is now housing.
Place – Rabbs Mill House. This site was a gravel pit in the 19th
known as Chiltern View
Hamilton on the site of Crowley Mill., since 1947 they have designed and manufactured
high performance / high pressure valves and valve systems. Their building is
called Frays Mill Works.
Mill also known as Rabbs or Robbs mill on the Frays River at the junction of
Cowley Road and Cowley Mill Road. It is first mentioned in 1636 although it had
probably been there since the Middle Ages. It was acquired by the local
authority from Grimsdale and Sons, local brewers, in 1949.
Uxbridge Gas Works. Built in 1832 by James
Stacey although there had previously been a plan for a works here by the
British Gas Light Co. This was the Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Consumers Co.
which became statutory in 1861. By 1925 it was the Uxbridge, Maidenhead,
Wycombe & District Gas Co. coming under South Eastern gas on 1936 and part
of North Thames Gas Board at nationalisation in 1949. It has remained a small
rural undertaking until after the Great War when urban expansion locally led to
increased demand. By 1927 and a bulk
supply was bought in from the Gas Light and Coke Company through three mains. The
retort houses were manually charged until 1942, when reconstruction began and
from 1948 the whole works was rebuilt and modernised. Used as a location in The Sweeney. The works closed in 1968
was demolished and under development.
Royal Mail. Postal depot on gas works site
16c Salvation Army. Head office of their
Central South Division.
British School. This was roughly on the site
of the Salvation Army offices. The
school had originated in 1809 as the Uxbridge Lancastrian School, later
Uxbridge Free School which moved to this site in 1835. It received a Government
grant from 1836. By 1903 it was called Cowley Road School, and was managed by
the county council. In 1928 it closed as
a school and the building became the County Library until 1940, and a domestic
Whitehall Primary School. This was opened in
1911 as a model school of its kind. It as in yellow stock brick with diaper
patterned poly chromatic brickwork
View pub. This closed in 2006.
Cowley Grove. Cowley Grove was an 18th
estate owned by a number of show business personalities of the time. The northern part of the grounds covered this
The Gospel Hall. Built in 1927.
Postal Sorting Office. This was on the corner of Windsor Street. It was on
the site of almshouses and a workhouse built here before 1727.
Almshouses. The early history of the Uxbridge almshouses is not clear but
by 1727 they were in existence. In 1743 there were 16 tenants in the Lynch
21 The Militia Canteen. Pub
Housing on the site of Cowley Grove
Bank of Scotland. Built in 1987 on the corner with Vine Street. Post-modern. It is on the site of the Savoy Cinema
The Savoy Cinema was opened in 1921, on the site of the old Town
Hall. It was designed in a Georgian
style by Mr. Williams of Williams & Cox. It was taken over by the Union
Cinemas chain in 1935, and in 1937, by Associated British Cinemas. It closed in
1960 and was converted into a Ladbroke’s Bingo Club, which closed in 1982. It
was demolished in 1983.
Town Hall, or Public Rooms. Were built in 1836
and Lettuce. Pub in a late 17th building previously
used in 1974 by Norman Reeves Motors
222 The Shrubbery. Incorporated within the
shopping centre. A good three-storey, five-bay brick house, built in 1832-3 for
the adjutant of the Royal West Middlesex Militia.
233 Nightclub. Originally the Regal Cinema
Designed by E Norman Bailey in 1931 with Egyptian style facade. The cinema was
built for A.E. Abrahams. Inside the decor includes plaster troughs for concealed
lighting and a proscenium shaped like a Chinese half-moon plus decorative panels
in a Chinese streamline-deco style over the organ grilles. There is a
functioning but disconnected 2Manuals/6Ranks Compton organ and it had a cafe
and a ballroom. It was run by Union Cinemas from 1935, and then Associated
British Cinemas from 1937. It closed in 1977. In 1984 it became a Nightclub and
the stage area became a health club. In 1993 it became the Discotheque Royale,
the interior was painted black/dark and in 2007 was the Liquid Envy Nightclub.
273 Early 19th building converted
to a shop.
278 18th building with a modern shop on the
279, 280 and 280a. These make up an 18th
house with modern shop fronts on the ground floor
320 Odeon multiplex cinemas opened in 2001
in The Chimes Shopping Centre.
Hillingdon Civic Centre. In the 1970s
Hillingdon wanted to break away from the conventions of civic design and
express the identity of the new municipal authority. They appointed Robert
Matthews, Johnson Marshall and Partners in 1970 with Andrew Derbyshire as the
architect with the borough architect Thurston Williams. The result built 1973-8
has' been described as a formalized hill village of suburban brick houses
clustering around an outsize barn’. The layout allowed existing' mature trees
to remain. Inside is a curved ceremonial stair with a
hanging sculpture by John Philips. The octagonal council chamber was designed
for comfort and good acoustics.
of the route of the old rail line to Vine Street Station
St.Andrew. In the 1850’s as the population
of Hillingdon and Uxbridge rose the then Vicar of Hillingdon gained permission
to build a new church in the area sometimes referred to as Hillingdon West.
Plans were drawn up by George Gilbert Scott and local Uxbridge builder
William Fassnidge was employed to build it, the foundation stone was laid in
St Andrew's Church of England Primary School.
This was built in 1974, at the far end of the Vicarage garden.
early 19th rectory is further along the road
Lynch Green is now beneath the ring road
Entrance through a free standing arch. A
plaque explains that in 1576 the land was given by the Lord of the Manor, Earl
of Derby, to the people of Uxbridge for a burial ground. It continued to be
used for this until 1855.
Memorial to the three martyrs, burnt at the stake here in 1555. The inscription
says This stone was erected in 1955 in
memory of Robert Smith, John Denley & Patrick Packingham, who were burnt at
the stake on Lynch Green opposite this spot in August 1555 and also of all
those men and women of Uxbridge who have suffered persecution in their
Manor Waye Recreation Ground
House. This was a Methodist chapel. A Wesleyan congregation built a permanent
chapel here in 1847 in 1930 after the erection of the Methodist Central Hall
the chapel became a Masonic Hall. A concrete pill box, disguised as an extension to
the chapel was added in the Second World War but has since been demolished. The
chapel building was converted to flats in 1996.
These were built to replace older almshouses in The Lynch by Uxbridge United
Charities. The scheme was prepared in 1905. They were paid for with income from
the Ossulston and Pearce charities. The new almshouses were occupied in 1907
and lie in a square behind the Methodist Chapel building. The style is “Garden
Suburb” with a courtyard surrounded by cottage-style homes. The site was
previously a drill hall.
New Windsor Street Infants School was built
in 1839 and closed in 1911
Union Villas dated 1846, a two-storey group, the unaltered part with giant pilasters.
Bridge over the Frays river. The bridge
dates from 1809 and has three brick arches, the centre one with a carved
keystone. It was once known as Moorfield Bridge and had been built before 1675.
Rockingham Recreation Ground. This was laid
out in the 1920s along with local authority buildings in the area. It has
sports pitches and a riverside walk
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Primary School. This was built in 1895 to
serve the Uxbridge district, set up in conjunction with the setting up of a
Catholic Mission to Uxbridge in the 1890s.
25 Old Rockingham Arms. This has been
demolished and housing built on the site
restaurant in what used to be the Prince of Wales pub
34-35 small businesses in buildings which fronted
an earlier iron works site
80 built in the 19th and by 1901 occupied by
the Manager of Waterloo Wharf. There is a plaque on the side wall dated 1954,
with what appears to be oak leaves and some sort of sculpted figure.
Scout hut – on the edge of the Recreation
line – the never constructed railway would crossed the road roughly at
Uxbridge County School which occupied
premises in the Greenway from 1907. The school had been designed for the
Middlesex Education Committee by their architect H G Crothall. This building
was vacated in 1928 and was occupied by the Greenway County Secondary School. It
is in red brick with a cupola and weather vane ion the roof. It was the
Borough’s first secondary school.
Centre became a community centre in 1983/4 through the Chaplin of Brunel
University, Rev. Theo Samuel. As St Peter’s Church it was about to be
declared redundant small steering committee was set up and a grant was got from
the Greater London Council. A War Memorial remains from the church.
64, 66, 68 Group of 19th villas.
Two 19th houses in yellow stock brick.
Italianate house built in 1840.
This street and the streets around it south of the Greenway, were the site of the Militia Barracks
33 Load of Hay Pub. The building was originally
the officers' mess of the Elthorne Light Militia and became a pub in the 1870s.
The main part of the pub was originally the stable block.
Vine Street| Street View
Once called Blind or Woolwind Lane
Charter Place. High tech office by Frederick
Gibberd, Coombes and Partners 1985-8. Blue tinted glass walls, symmetrical
on a raised podium and with five storeys. There are two glazed staircase towers
and two pavilions make the transition from the Uxbridge Civic Trust
The Royal Prince of Wales Theatre was a medium sized hall,
opposite the Great Western Railway’s Vine Street Station. It was taken over by
Jack Hutton in 1910 and replaced his Rockingham Hall which he had operated as a
cinema in 1909. He re-named in Empire Electric Cinema. The Empire Electric
Cinema was closed in 1933, and was converted into a fire station. It has since
Uxbridge Vine Street Station. Opened in 1856. It was built by the Great Western Railway on
the line from West Drayton. It was originally
called just ‘Uxbridge’. In 1907 it was renamed ‘Uxbridge Vine Street’. It had
two terminus tower and a glass roof which remained until the 1930s. Then there was a building opposite in yellow
brick with a wooden canopy, which was there until the 1950s. In 1962 it was
closed. The area was used as a car park until 1990s and then for Charter Place
offices but it has since been redeveloped.
Street remained open after its passenger trains had been withdrawn but freight
traffic ended in 1964, although the station continued to handle parcels for a
further five months before it was completely abandoned
a department store which originated in the 1890s, rebuilt in 1937-8 by W. L.
Eves, a period piece in streamlined cream faience, with a vertical feature with
flagstaff, and elegant original lettering.
Horizontal sweep interrupted by vertical
tower. Refaced but retaining many original details.
Water Works belonging to Uxbridge Urban
District Council. Obtaining water from a bore hole into the chalk
Waterloo Wharf. Goldberg timber yard has been in
operation here since 1954. Waterloo Wharf was constructed in 1793 and was
probably the Uxbridge terminus when the Grand Union Canal opened in 1794. It
was the known as Canal Wharf and was a coal wharf, operated by Fellows Morton
& Clayton Ltd. until 1949.
used for boat building and repair. It
has a dry dock.
Japanese Auto Spares. The original Waterloo Church
which started as a Ragged
School in 1846. A lady living by the canal taught poor children in her own
home, including Sunday School which transferred to a building of its own in
1864. It was used as a British Restaurant in the Second World War and is now a Japanese car parts
Waterloo Road Church. This started as a Ragged School moving to the present Japanese car parts centre. The local authority took over the responsibility for education, but the Sunday
School remained and became known as Waterloo Road Mission. A superintendent was
appointed by the local church and he led the church until his 1940.
The building dares from 1932 and is very utilitarian.
It was extended in
1967 to include the rear hall and another rear extension was built in 2001. In 1962 it changed its
name to Waterloo Road Free Church, and later just Waterloo Road Church.
the site of the waterworks and council yard from the 1940s, still there in the 1970s.
District Electricity Supply Company. A private company's works was set up here and much of
the town connected by 1902.
House, London Borough of Hillingdon infilling in response to the need for
housing for young single people
before the Walford Road is where a proposed rail connection to Denham would
section of road through the graveyard
This is a stone column surmounted by statue of winged angel with a laurel
wreath. The octagonal stone base has the inscription- “Erected in honour and
memory of all those men and women of Uxbridge who served or fell in the Great
War 1914-1918 an expression of gratitude from their fellow townsmen”. It was
moved here in the 1970s
Site of Rockingham
House. This was a big house to the north
of Rockingham Road, in the 19th the home of General Rickards. It
remained until at least the 1930s
British History on Line. Uxbridge. Web site
Theatres Association Newsletter
Treasures. Web site
The Face of London
Heritage. London’s Town Halls.
Hamilton. Web site.
Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
Remembers, Web site
Archives. Web site
Forgotten stations of London
Army. Web site
Ship of Fools. Web site.
Gas works in the North Thames area
History. Web site
Basin Archaeology of Industry Group
Centre, Web site
High School. Web site
Road Church. Web site.
Hall Primary School. Web site