The Pinn flows southwards and is joined by a tributary from the east.
Post to the north Pinner
Post to the south Harrow Garden Village
Post to the east Pinner Park
Post to the west Pinner
Laid out by William Barber’s executors, post 1898
Pinner Methodist Church. The Wesleyan Methodists built a school and chapel erected in Love Lane in 1918, and replaced by a church at the junction of Love Lane and Avenue Road in 1937.
The eastern end of Pinner Memorial Park was at one time known as Bennett’s Park after Councillor Bennett who bequeathed the land to the town.
Bridge over the Pinn
Red Lion Pub replaced by shops in Red Lion Parade. The pub existed by 1737 and rebuilt in 1875. It was demolished in 1963
Milestone. 1809. Rectangular stone about inscribed: "To London 13 miles".
Police Station. This dates from 1889, previously prisoners were confined to a cage near the railway station. The station was built for one policeman and horse and the stable stands at the back, converted into a canteen.
First Metropolitan Railway Estate built here from 1902. This was one of their earliest ventures into the deep Middlesex countryside. Residents had their own entrance to the nearby railway station
1 Pinner Synagogue built here in 1981 but on site since 1941 replacing Pinner Men’s club which had been there since 1915 and itself replaced a Baptist chapel
Henry Jackson Centre. Youth Centre attached to the Synagogue.
36-38 Reddiford School. Fee paying of course.
59 19th suburban newcomer.
Chestnut Cottage. 18th building with an earlier front to what was probably a 16th building. It is next to the churchyard and gabled and plastered
Pinner House. Dated 1721, this is a large mansion, with giant pilasters at the front. Behind are extensions from 1980 in matching materials. A former rectory, it is on the site of an earlier hall house dated 1578. A brick on the present house is dated 1721 but the deeds only date from 1838. Beneath the roof is a layer of thatch, to act as insulation. Recently it has been an old people's home.
Grange Cottage. This is 16th with a timber frame
Elmdene. This was a farmhouse and head tenement of Gardiner's, dating to 1600. Later it was the home of Horatia, daughter of Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton, and widow of the Rev. Philip Ward of Tenderton. Recent owners have been David Suchet, and Ronnie Barker.
Elmdene Cottage. This was originally the stable block to Elmdene, converted to a separate house 1950.
St.John the Baptist. This appears to be on a pagan site on an earthwork. It dates from 1321 and was originally a chapel of St.Mary’s Harrow. It is built of flint and ironstone with aisle walls of local ferruginous concrete or ferricrete. It is thought that the stone and chalk may have come from the nearby mines in the Dingles. The tower is 15th and has a large 18th clock. The church was restored in 1880 by J L Pearson, when windows were included in the roof. The Porch is 15th restored by Pearson in 1880 and paid for by Tooke. A cross on the tower which was a landmark was removed in 1958. Inside are various art works including interesting some by the pre-Raphaelites. The Lady Chapel, was added in 1859, as an aisle for the children from the Royal Commercial Travellers' School at Hatch End.
Churchyard. This contains the Loudon monument where the coffin is set half way up a stone pyramid. This was for the horticulturist’s parents. There is also a black slab to a survivor of the Black Hole of Calcutta; Henry Pye Poet Laureate; Dean Millman; Tilbury who invented the carriage; George Gissing; Liza Lehmann and ledger stones.
Pinner Parish Church Hall. Glass and steel extension to existing hall. Weston Williamson 1994.
The Grange Estate - Metropolitan Railway Development,
Grange Court. This has been described as a ‘presumptuous mock-Tudor’ corner building of 1933-4. This was by local builders Cutler's, as the start of 20th development by the Metropolitan Railway Surplus Lands Co. Built on the site of the Hand in Hand pub.
Commuters' houses. Some by L W. Clark described as ‘exceptionally artistic’ houses.
6 The Victory Pub. This now a restaurant called Zizzi in a building of 1580 which was once small shops. An earlier Victory was in Marsh Road and the name was transferred here when that was demolished. The old facade was saved. The front right-hand corner of the building is formed from an upturned tree trunk.
7 16th house refaced in 18th brick. This used to be a butcher and has a wooden canopy over the shop front, and a metal rail where meat was hung.
11 Friends Restaurant in a 16th timber framed building with some decorative timber showing outside. This house was in the past the home of three parish clerks. The parish council held meetings in the front room. It was also once the Old Oak Tea Rooms.
The Queen's Head Pub. This is the oldest pub in Pinner and part of it dates back to 1540, although an ale house is believed to have stood on the site since the first Pinner Fair in 1336. This has genuine 16th parts hidden behind its 1830 fake front. Was the Queen Phillipa? The pub was known as the Crown Inn until 1715 when it was changed to the Queens Head because Queen Anne used to change horses here when riding between Hatfield and London. It used to have railings and a porch with seats. The London coach left from here in the 19th going to the The Bull, Holborn and back. A former licensee Dawson Billows kept a bear in the stables...
18 -24 Two joined pairs of 18th cottages with shop fronts and imitation timber framing.
25-27 this is probably a 15th hall house now two shops. 27 was a used by a wheelwright called Plate Beaumonts. It was called Beaumont’s Cottage, and they had been here since the 18th
26 16th timber framed building with a later shop front and an 18th rear brick extension. At the front is a 19th bargeboard and mock timber framing.
32 18th red brick house. There is a Sun Fire Insurance Mark on the wall. The building has been a school and a shop and in the 1900s was Shirvells Coffee & Dining Rooms
33 -35 The Old Bakery, 16th Timber framed house with 19th shop fronts. The half-timbering shows on one side. 33 contained a baker’s oven.
34, 34A – 36 Timber framed 16th building with brick frontage
37 18th red brick house and 19th shop front. The oven from 33 was bricked into here during renovations.
38 old barn at the back converted to a restaurant in 1975. It is 17th with a timber frame
58 16th timber framed house. This was taken over by churchwardens in 1740, and later it was to become a butchers shop with one building with the louvered roof vent being the slaughter house. It is now a restaurant
64 Haywood House/Elthorne Gate. Offices this building which originated in Equestrian Villa also called Belle View. In 1878 it was bought William Barber who working with Ernest George, R.A., turned it into Ye Cocoa Tree Coffee Tavern. It became famous and popular including with trippers from London. It is plain Georgian brick, with galleries added in 1878. It has also been used as the Hilltop Wine Bar.
38 The Hand in Hand Public House. 18th or early 19th. Closed in 2006
War Memorial. This is made of Derbyshire sandstone on a granite base with bronze inscriptions. 'In grateful memory of the men from Pinner who fell in the Great War. 1914-1919. It is better for us to die in battle than to behold the calamity of our people'. It was unveiled in 1921.
Tree. The tree outside L'Orient, replaces the old Town Tree and was given by the Pinner Association. In thru early 19th it was old, but in full foliage but by 1873 it was only a hollow trunk although it showed traces of life until 1884. It fell on a calm night in 1898
Built in what were the gardens of Pinner House.
Developed after 1898 by William Barber’s executors
The road is first noted in 1391
St.Luke's RC church. The first Catholic church was built here in 1915 and is now the church hall. The current church dates from 1957 and was designed by F. X. Velarde.
The road was liable to flood until the 19th when it became a public carriageway.
Victory Pub. This was a white washed cottage used as a pub in 195l. Was called the Ship until 1852. The current pub in the High Street is in what was the back yard of the original pub but the site is now under Sainsbury’s
73 Telephone Exchange designed in 1928 by Christopher Bristow of the Office of Works. Demolished and replaced with flats.
King George IV pub previously the Froth Finder and Firkin from 1997 and renamed again in 2002. Was originally called The George from the 1740s and called after George III. It was rebuilt in the early 20th and demolished and replaced with flats 2013.
National School. This was on the now vacant land opposite the end of the High Street. A school was set up in 1841 with two rooms – one for boys and one for girls. In 1865 it became the parish hall and later used for parish meetings, and later still for Civil Defence. From 1946 to 1960 it was a library.
The lane is first mentioned in 1432
East End Farm Cottage. This was a 15th open hall with central hearth which became a 17th house with fireplaces. A screens passage and smoke-bay remain. The front room became a living room, with a wall painted from floor to ceiling, with a hunting scene. It was built by Roger of Eastend and may be the oldest house in Pinner. The ground floor was originally open to the roof and was heated by a centrally placed hearth, where the smoke found its way out through a hole or similar opening in the roof.
East Barn at East End Farm. 16th timber-framed barn with weatherboarding.
North Barn 18th Timber-framed
East End House. A 16th timber framed house with a casing of red brick, including a formal 18th front. Its most notable resident was poet laureate Henry Pye who bought it in 1811.
The Fives Court. Built 1900-8 by Cecil Brewer for the son of Ambrose Heal. It is white rendered, with very simple details which show the influence of Charles Voysey. Originally there was a fives court at the back of the house
Tudor Cottage. Dated 1692 in modern numerals on central chimney. It is on the site of Readings head tenement. Much of this house however is made up of real pieces brought from elsewhere in the 20th.
The road is recorded in 1733 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1877. The road is only 300 yards long but is on the route to Harrow. In 1285 the area is noted as ‘atte nore’ after the flat topped hill.
Nower Hill House. This had been Nower Hill Cottage which in 1895 was enlarged for Ambrose Heal of the furniture store. There is now modern housing on the site.
Cemetery. This was consecrated in 1859. The brick piers at the entrance, the wall and iron gates date from around 1857 although it is thought that railings were removed during the Second World War. On the right-hand side of the centre path can be found the tomb of Horatia Nelson Ward, Admiral Nelson’s daughter.
Pinner Free Church. A Baptist congregation in Pinner had chapels in a number of locations until in 1910 when they opened a Gothic style building here and registered as the United Free Church
The Green. This was the original Pinner Village Green until Enclosures in 1803 but given to the inhabitants of Pinner in 1924 by John Edward Clark
Plaque on a tree trunk in front of Church Farm. It was given in 1924. The area, used to be the Village Green, before enclosures of 1803
Church Farm. It is screened by chestnut trees and its long, low exterior hides an unusual medieval timber-framed building. It may once have been even longer. It has substantial timber-framing and since the two bays appear to be was apparently unheated they are thought to have had some public function; thus it may have been the Church House. Is there a passage to the church?
Capel Gardens, along with Pinner Court to the west were designed by H. J. Mark and built by the Courtenay Property Company Limited. The two 'blocks' lie to either side of the driveway to Pinner Cemetery. Capel Gardens is approached by a private side road and set back from the road and between it and the road are ornamental gardens.It comprises a single building to the west of the side road, and three more around a U-shaped drive enclosing a smaller garden. Art Deco style lamp standards stand in the grounds. It is brick-built with white render and the main living room in each flat has a large window ending in a curved corner. All windows are metal, Crittall-style painted a verdigris green. First floor and above are balconies projecting from the facade. All have decorative cast-iron railings painted the same verdigris colour as the windows. The building has a pan-tiled, hipped roof with green-coloured tiles.
The lane was provided to give access to a new school
National School here in 1867. From 1962-1967 it was used by the Harrow College of Further Education.
Pinner Station. This was opened in 1885 and now lies between Northwood Hills and North Harrow on the Metropolitan Line. It was built by the Metropolitan Railway on their line from Harrow which in in 1887 was extended to Rickmansworth – all part of Watkins vision for extending the Metropolitan, It was designed by Gerald Horsley in Arts and Crafts Neo-Georgian style.
The Goods Yard became the station car park but is now the site of a Sainsbury store.
Memorial fountain to Arthur Tooke. Erected in 1886 it is in red granite surmounted by a grey granite spire.
British History Online. Pinner.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clarke. A History of Pinner
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Edwards, Eastcote from Village to Suburb
Field. Place Names of London
London Gardens Online,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Modernist Britain. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pinner LHS. Web site
Pinner Local History. Web site
Pinner Parish Church. Web site
St.Luke’s Pinner, Web site
Walford. Village London