The Pinn flows south-westwards
Post to the north Ickenham
Post to the west Swakeleys Roundabout
Post to the east Ickenham
A40 Western Avenue
The A40 is a major road between London and Oxford and beyond. This part of the route was built as Western Avenue, relieving the older Uxbridge Road, in the 1930s. Much of it is upgraded to motorway standard. There is a complicated junction in this section where the road swings round and divides around Hillingdon Station. It passes under Long Lane and the Metropolitan railway line under a unique double bridge - the road goes under the railway, which is itself then crossed by Long Lane. The A40 rejoins itself on its original alignment
A long distance route along the length of the River Pinn
The road was laid out by Cross and Stedman on what had been part of the Swakeleys estate sold for development in 1922. Building plots were sold along the road
Douay Martyrs School. This is a Roman Catholic secondary school. The school opened in 1962. It has two campuses - The Arrowsmith campus with th4e original building, in Edinburgh Drive. The Cardinal Hume campus which became part of Douay in 1974 was previously Swakeleys Girls School and is primarily on Long Lane
Hillingdon Station. This lies between Uxbridge and Ickenham on the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines. It was opened by the Metropolitan Railway and Metropolitan District Railway in 1923 as part of their extension of the line between Harrow on the Hill and Uxbridge, originally opened in 1904. The company had been asked by the Halden Estate Company who were building here to provide a station and a siding – and this was the last such station opened on the line.. This was a plain wooden structure with a half-timbered hut as the entrance. In 1933 District Line services were replaced by the Piccadilly and in 1934 the name was changed to ‘Hillingdon (Swakeleys)’ at the request of local people. It was later rebuilt and resited to the west as part work for the A40. In 1992 because of another realignment of the A40, following a competition, new buildings were provided designed by the Cassidy Taggart Partnership. The station was again moved westward with a ticket office accessed via a long walkway from the original Long Lane office. Glass block walls between the platforms are arranged to maximize light but does not stop the noise of traffic from the A40. It is also said to be reminiscent of 19th train sheds.
Siding opened for the Halden Estate Company’s buildings. The Metropolitan Railway bought a patch of land when the Swakeleys Estate was sold for a goods yard. They later sold it to Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Ltd.; for housing. Goods yard improved in 1930, was closed in 1964
Long Lane Playing fields with remains of an Iron Age settlement plus a later multi-phase field system.
86 North Hillingdon Adult Learning Centre
Swallow Pub by Hillingdon Station iHiHillHh
Swakeleys House and estate. This is first recorded in 1327 and as ‘Swaleclyves maner’ in 1466, a with various spellings over the next hundred years seems to mean an 'estate held by the Swaleclyve family'- which may relate to villages of that name in Oxfordshire, Kent or Wiltshire. This was probably a moated manor house which was replaced in 1532 by another for the Marquis of Exeter. In 1629 the estate was purchased by Edmund Wright, a member of the Goldsmith’s Company and Lord Mayor in 1640. He built Swakeleys to impress in a style developed by London craftsmen in the Jacobean style with classical elements thus here Tudor-style windows are combined with Dutch gables. The house is in brick with ornamental details and change shape depending on the angle from which it is viewed. In 1665 when the house was opened by Sir Robert Vyner Samuel Pepys described a dinner there and a tour of the house. It then passed to the Clarke family who owned it until the 1920s. In 1922 Thomas Bryan Clarke-Thornhill sold land around the house for housing And the House Foreign Office Sports Association headquarters and was later the London Postal Region Sports Club. In the 1980s, it was converted to offices
17th century stables
The road was laid out by Cross and Stedman on what had been part of the Swakeleys estate sold for development in 1922. It is named for Milton Farm, which had been on the Swakeleys estate and which was demolished in 1939. The Milton Road was then marketed as "Ickenham Garden City. Building plots were then sold.
Swakeleys DriveThe road was laid out by Cross and Stedman on what had been part of the Swakeleys estate sold for development in 1922. It was on the line of the drive to the house from Long Lane. Building plots were sold along the road
This was originally a long avenue of elms going to the front of Swakeleys house. It was later developed as a residential road. The elms were killed by Dutch elm disease in the 1960s
This was originally called Park Road. The road was laid out by Cross and Stedman on what had been part of the Swakeleys estate sold for development in 1922. Building plots were then sold.
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Douay Martyrs School. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Ickenham Online. Web site
LAMAS, Web site
London Borough of Hillingdon, Web site
London Railway Record
London Transport leaflet
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Pevsner and Cherry, North West London
SABRE Roaders Digest. Web site.
Swakeleys. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia A40. Web site
Wikipedia. Ickenham. Web site
Wildlife Trust. Wildlife Sites in London.