Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Tykes Water Borehamwood

Tributary to Tykes Water
A Tributary to Tykes Water flows south westwards
Another Tributary to Tykes Water flows westwards
TQ 19285 98259

Suburban area of largely post war housing with some open fields to the north

Post to the south Borehamwood
Post to the west Kendal Hall

Aycliffe Road
St. Andrews United Reformed Church

Berwick Road
Parkside Community Primary School. The school was built in the 1950s using the CLASP system.

Buckton Road
Brookside Boys Club

Castleford Close
Mead Care Home
The Meadows

Rossington Avenue
St John Fisher and St Thomas More Roman Catholic Church. In 1955 the Roman Catholic Diocese decided that, a further church was needed in the area and in 1956 authorised the building.  In 1957, the foundation stone was laid and the history of Borehamwood North was placed in a cylinder under the stone.

Sources
Parkside School. Web site
St John Fisher and St Thomas More. Web site

Tykes Water - Borehamwood

Tykes Water
A tributary to Tykes Water flows north westwards
TQ 19502 96983

The central area of Borehamwood with a wide range of religious, sporting and social activies

Post to the west Borehamwood

Aberford Road
Aberford Park Community Centre. Built and opened 1996

Alban Crescent
Woodlands Primary School

Broughinge Road
Meadow Park. The park opened in the early 1960s. It has a number of sports areas. It is home to a number of football and other teams.  There are more general park areas with a teenage shelter, a mural, picnic areas etc.  (Although the mural is all about football too – and had now been removed)
Football stadium with one seated stand, a covered terrace and two un-covered terraces  
Borehamwood Bowls Club. Borehamwood Men's Bowls Club was founded in 1956. In 1963 the ladies club was founded. The ladies only had one rink, and the men had four but the ladies could only use them when the men didn’t want them. Many women didn’t have cars and the last bus was very early, and they often missed it. In 1993 the Ladies Club formally joined the Men's Club, at the insistence of Hertsmere Council.  In 1996 a new Club House was built
Borehamwood Football Club Ground. The Club was founded in 1948, as an amalgamation of Boreham Rovers and Royal Retournez.
Arsenal Ladies Football Club. This team was formed in 1987 and have won many major trophies. They have the backing of the main club and several staff members as well as are elite training programme.

Brook Road
Sewage Works. This was built after the Great War but by the 1940/50s it was out of use and the area was used for landfill.
Aberford Park. The land was bought by the local authority in stages from 1888.  A tree avenue leading to Croxdale Road was planted by local school children and each tree represents Borehamwood school. There are two children's play areas, along with a skate park and 'extreme' sports area as well as a sensory play. Graffiti projects are carried out on the walls of the multi sports area.
Aberford Lake. The lake is a damned tributary to Tykes Water. It allows surface water to be collected and drained from the local area.
St.Theresa's Catholic School. In 1936, the local Catholic priest arranged the purchase of a piece of land where the school was built. It eventually opened in 1957

Croxdale Road
Borehamwood and Elstree Synagogue. This was established in 1955 and is growing fast.  Work is underway to extend the existing buildings.

Gateshead Road
St.Michael and All Angels Church.  The church was built in 1955 by N.F. Cachemaile-Day. The striking glass is by Mary Adshead.  The foundation stone having been laid by Princess Margaret. The bell came from the mortuary chapel at Ayot St Peter, donated by Charles Willes Wilshere of The Frythe in 1876.

Shenley Road
Civic Centre. 1970s public buildings – at that time set among industrial buildings.
St. Theresa of the Child Jesus Roman Catholic Church.  In 1925, the first Roman Catholic mass was celebrated here in a house called The Grange which had a chapel. In 1939 a second Roman Catholic hall was built on this site. This was used as a social hall but in the Second World War was taken over by the Ministry of Food. The church was built in 1962 using as Architects FX Velarde Partnership of Liverpool. It was consecrated in 1978.  Red brick with pyramid shaped turrets.
St. Theresa Parish Centre. In 1932 the Parish Centre was opened as a church. It was also used as a social centre where dances were held. In the 1990s it developed a serious subsidence problem and once again, major building work was required.
Royal British Legion. Hall and Club

Winstre Road
Cowley Hill Primary School and Nursery

Sources
Arsenal Football Club. Web site
Borehamwood and Elstree Synagogue. Web site
Borehamwood Bowls Club. Web site
Hertfordshire Churches.
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Hertsmere Borough Council.  Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire,
St Michael and All Angels. Web site
St. Theresa of the Child Jesus. Web site.

Tykes Water - Borehamwood

Tributary to Tykes Water
The tributary flows south west and north
Another tributary flows north west
TQ 18469 97633

Suburban area with sports and other facilities

Post to the west Medburn
Post to the east Borehamwood
Post to the north Borehamwood

Aycliffe Road
Borehamwood Multi Purpose Day Centre. Caters for people with a range of disabilities and founded in 1985

Croxdale Road
Old Haberdashers Sports Ground. The Fortress. The Rugby Club was founded in 1923, and is largely former pupils from Haberdashers’ Aske’s School

Gateshead Road
Theobald County Secondary Modern School. This became Lyndhurst County Secondary School. Closed in 2001. It was built in 1954, as experiment in prefabricated buildings by Hertfordshire County Council under Newsome. Instead of bricks, it was built with a material called Holoplast, invented by two Hungarian engineers it was made at New Hythe in Kent. It was composed of tough plastic and paper, ready-made, and could be clipped into position on a frame. There were also A-frames, to support the ceilings in the school's library and hall, and a moat.

Leeming Road
Green Dragon. Estate pub, since closed and likely to be replaced by housing
Council depot. Flats on the site of the original Council Depot

Stevenage Crescent
Scout Hut. Disused and demolished

Theobald Street
Meryfield Community Primary School
Theobald Farm

Sources
Borehamwood and Elstree Times. Web site
Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council. Web site
Hertsmere Council. Web site
Old Haberdashers. Web site

Monday, 29 April 2013

Tykes Water - Medburn

Tykes Water
Tykes Water flows northwards. A tributary stream also flows north

Post to the south Aldenham Park
Post to the east Borehamwood
Post to the west Slades Farm
Post to the north Kendal Hall

Tykes Water Lane
Electricity sub station owned by the railway with electrical and communications equipment

Watling Street
North Medbourn Farm
Aldenham Wood Lodge
Belstone Football Club. The Club was founded in 1983. The original home was the General Electrical Co London Sports Ground in Preston Road, Wembley but in 1989, this was sold for housing. In 1990 after a long search they leased the Medburn Ground which had been a rugby pitch since 1922 and abandoned in 1990. The club built a new clubhouse and drained the pitch.
Medburn House. The first elementary school serving Radlett, Elstree and Borehamwood was Medburn Boys Elementary School established in 1864 on Watling Street to the south of Radlett. It The school was built by the Brewers Company to replace the demolished lower school of Aldenham School. In the 1870s, the Charity Commission redistributed the proceeds of the sale of land owned by the Platt foundation of Aldenham School, directing £8,000 to local elementary schools.The buildings of the former boys' school are now Medburn Kennels at Medburn House.


Sources
Avengerland. Web site
Belstone Football Club. Web site.
Walford. Village London

Tykes Water - Aldenham Park

Tykes Water.
Tykes Water flows northwards

Post to the south Elstree
Post to the north Medburn
Post to the west Aldenham House

Aldenham Park
Aldenham Park was owned by Hucks brewers in the 18th. The area covered in the square is to the east of the house. The park was probably laid out during the 18th century. There is a landscaped park to the east and south of the house. In the 1880s the avenues were extended and the arboretum developed
Tykes Water Lake. In 1873 the stream was dammed to create the lake. The lake is private, rented and managed by a fishing club.
Boat house. This is on the southern part of the lake and has a rustic front surrounded by rockwork.
Tykes Water Bridge. This features in the open credits to the Peter Cushing version of Dracula in 1972. It also appears in The Avengers and many other films and TV shows. It carries the drive from the south east lodge and goes across the waist of the lake as a three-arch brick and stone bridge with a brick parapet which is ornamentally pierced. The lake is divided into two by the bridge and a perimter walk once went round the lake from it.
Home Farm. This is within Aldenham Park and was developed by Henry Hucks Gibbs as a model farm during the late 19th. The farmhouse was designed by W Butterfield. It was built between 1879 and 1881. It was previously called Stapes Farm.
Wilderness. This has three miles of wide grassy walks and rides. This was originally an open area of trees and shrubs with meadow grass.
Aldenham Wood and the Arboretum,  Set up by Vicary Gibb by 1918 this is said have contained 179 varieties of oak, 500 varieties of thorn and many other species. West of the drive in trhe woodland are mature specimens of ornamental tree species, and this was formerly laid out with glades running between groups of trees.  There is a  star-shaped pond lies within the woodland and west od this areplaying fields, formerly open parkland planted with specimen trees with a line of trees running along the road boundaries.
 



Watling Street
This is the line of the Roman road, Watling Street, the A5, now the A5183.
Wagon and Horses. Roadside pub which claims to have been founded in 1471.  The building is late 17th with 19th brick outside but some original timber frame and some weatherboard
Radlett Park Golf Club. This dates from 1984 and was called Elstree Golf Club. It had a 9 hole course with a small golf clubhouse designed by its architect owners. In 1986 it became 18 holes. In 1987 it was taken over by London Golf and Leisure and in 1989 a second 18 hole course was built. The clubhouse was rebuilt and in 2000 ownership changed again.
South Medbourn Farm. This is an equestrian centre. 17th and 18th barns with timber frame, painted brick walls and weather boarded.
Medburn Bridge. This bridge on the road between Elstree and Radlett over Tykes Water was originally built in 1769 by the local manors of Kendals and Aldenham because the road was sometimes flooded. It became a county bridge in 1825.
Lodge to Aldenham Park. This is the south east drive,

Sources
Archaeology Data Service. Web site
Aldenham Country Park. Web site
Avengerland. Web site.
British History online. Aldenham. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
English Heritage. Web site
Fishing Forum. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Radlett Golf Club. Web site
South Medburn. Equestrian Centre. Web site.
Wagon and Horses. Web site

Tykes Water - Elstree Hill

Tributary to Tykes Water
Two tributaries flow north west and meet

Watling Street climbs to sites of the never built tube extension and the now defunct bus centre

Post to the west Stanmore Common
Post to the north Elstree
Post to the east Edgwarebury

Aldenham Reservoir, southern extension.
Northern Line extension. The proposed line would have passed the reservoir where a retaining wall would have been built.

Brockley Hill
The name probably comes from ‘Brokhole’ meaning "the badger holes'. The soil of this area, with the sand and loam of the Claygate Beds, would have made good sites for badgers' setts.
The hill is part of Watling Street and now part of the A5. Watling Street was built during the early part of the Roman period and has arrived here in a straight line from near modern Marble Arch. there is a curve here to meet the next section. Roman engineers' used high places as a sighting-point ad it is likely Brockley Hill was one of these. At the top of the hill is a roundabout built in the 1950s when Watling Street was crossed by the new Watford by-pass.
Watling Farm Caravan Site. This is a Harrow Council traveller’s site. Set up in this formulation in the early 1980s.
Brockley Hill Farm. 17th house and barn which are timber framed and weather boarded. The barn has central cart doors
Brockley Hill House. This is a stuccoed mid-19th house which stood in the grounds of the Royal National Orthopaedic hospital. An older 18th house was probably to the west. It is now converted into flats.
Brockley Grange. 18th timbered farmhouse with roughcast outside

Centennial Avenue
Centennial Park – business and trading units
De Vere Holiday Village.
Site of South Aldenham Bus Overhaul Works. This was the most comprehensive bus overhaul facility in the works but it had been built for the tube line that never was and as a depot for the overhaul of tube trains for which the cranes were built. It was used for aircraft production in the war making mainly Halifax Bombers.  It later became a collection point for buses which being used to replace the trams. The depot itself had stabling sidings, a cleaning shed and maintenance facilities. Originally a washer would also have been included at the Elstree end of the depot for cleaning rolling stock. It was demolished in 1996
Northern Line Extension. After leaving Elstree station the proposed would have circled the eastern side of the depot.

Edgware Way
The never built Northern Line to Elstree followed the line of Edgware Way to the east.
The road meets the M1 at Junction 4, Brockley Junction. The junction roughly covers the site of a proposed twin tunnels on the never built Northern Line extension between here and Elstree Hill. The tunnel was partly built and the tunnel mouths remained, flooded. They were used as a Home Guard firing range and then bricked up in 1953.

Elstree Hill South
The road is part of Watling Street
Elstree Station. Immediately after leaving the tunnels under Elstree Hill the proposed line reached the proposed Elstree station - also possibly to be called Elstree Hill station or Elstree South. The station was proposed to be in a cutting with two nine-coach long side platforms, with waiting rooms and toilets on the platforms and steps between them and the booking hall. The main station building on Elstree Hill would have had an Underground style tower, with staff rooms and a cycle store. A pedestrian subway would have gone under Elstree Hill to a bus stop and waiting rooms with a car park and traffic island in the centre of the road.  Behind the platforms on the west side would have been two reversing sidings and connections to the depot.
Elstree Hill Open Space and Composers Park

M1

Sullivan Way
Elstree Hill Community Centre

Watford By Pass

Sources
Beard. By Tube Beyond Edgware
Blake. Northern Wastes
British History Online. Harrow
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Day, London underground
Field. London Place Names.
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Railway Record
London Transport.  Leaflet
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Sabre Roads. A5 Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
Thames Basin archaeology group report,
The London Archaeologist
Walford. Village London
 

Sunday, 28 April 2013

River Colne. Harper Lane

River Colne
The Colne flows south westwards

Post to the north Springfield Farm
Post to the west Netherwylde
Post to the south Tykes water


Harper Lane
Harper Lodge Farm. Dean Ivory racehorse business
Ivory Business Centre. Trading and light industrial area round Ivory’s haulage business.
Radlett Golf Centre. This is an ‘academy’ for teaching golf.
Houndswood Farm. Business and trading centre
Nine Acres Wood
Houndswood House. Care home
Lafarge. Harper Lane Quarry. This is an integrated minerals processing and distribution centre for rail served aggregate storage and distribution, coated road stone plant, and aggregate recycling centre.  There is a circular rail siding into the site.
NAS Radlett Lodge School. This educates children with autism

Sources
Dean Ivory. Web site.
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Houndswood House. Web site
Radett Golf Centre. Web site
Radlett Lodge School. Web site.

River Colne - Springfield Farm

River Colne
The Colne flows south eastwards and is met by a tributary from the north

Post to the North Napsbury
Post to the south Harper Lane
Post to the west Colney Street

Kiln Lane

Old Parkbury Lane
Springfield Farm. Dog hydrotherapy centre.

M25

Sewage Plant

River Colne - Napsbury

River Colne
The Colne flows west and south. A tributary to the Colne flows southwards

Post to the east London Colney
Post to the south Springfield Farm
Post to the west Radlett Aerodrome

Azalea Close
Site of the admissions hospital
Admissions building. There was a separate, admissions hospital close to the main entrance to the site. This had been designed by Plumbe in 1900, for the reception of new patients and to house short-stay patients. It included ‘airing courts’ with a thatched shelter and mature trees. The southern part was demolished in the 1990s.

Beningfield Drive
Water Tower - Napsbury Hospital included a water tower topped by a turret, with wrought iron railings around a viewing platform This 100 tower has been converted into housing. 
A boiler house chimney is behind the water tower
The main asylum building. The main building was like a country house and it was near the centre of the site, in red brick.  There was a stone porte-cochère below a brick clock tower at the centre. It was surrounded by other buildings in a mix of architectural styles.
Accommodation pavilions lay either side of the main block linked by long corridors. Male blocks were to the east and female to the west

Napsbury Hospital 
When the new London County Council was established Middlesex County Council found that some institutions were now closed to them.  They therefore decided to build their own asylum and, in 1898, purchased the freehold of Napsbury Manor Farm, for a county mental asylum.   It was thought to be a site with a lot of sun and no cold winds, beautiful views and picturesque settings, as well as beautiful trees. It was designed by Rowland Plumbe for 1,205 patients and opened in 1905. The designed was based on Scottish asylums, some of which had been developed in a plan based on the continental colony system. Plumbe's design was innovative in England and included detached, villa-style wards for private and pauper patients scattered in the grounds, with the main complex laid out in a dog-leg form  In 1908 Plumbe also designed a 600-bedded extension, In the Great War it became the County of Middlesex War Hospital.  Entertainments were laid on the troops, including cinema shows, and theatrical and musical performances. In 1918 it was renamed Napsbury Mental Hospital. It closed in 1998.  Crest Nicolson bought the site and restored and converted the disused ward buildings to housing called The Arboretum
Drive. This was lined by a single line of red horse chestnuts. It curved west, passing to the north of the admissions hospital. A spur south encircles the building, giving access to a villa ward standing 100m south-east of the admissions block. The main drive, here flanked by mature trees and shrubs, continues west, past a villa to the north, to the main asylum. A carriage sweep off the drive enclosed a semi-circular lawn planted with mature trees including a copper beech. The main drive then ran west past a clump of Scots pines and more villas.
Gardens. The Asylum was surrounded by gardens designed by William Goldring, in 1902.  In 2001 English Heritage listed the grounds as a Grade II Historic Park and Garden.  They consist of the old 'airing' courts with L-shaped pavilions. There were lawns, with many mature trees and serpentine paths, and thatched wooden shelters, octagonal or rectangular with ornamental iron railings with gates these were laid out incorporating recommendations made in the Commissioners in Lunacy's Suggestions and Instructions.  In front of the main asylum was a grass tennis court flanked by mature trees. Beyond this was the cricket pitch, again with mature trees and a thatched cricket pavilion at the east side.
Nurses' Home. Built in the late 1920s this was on the west side of the site enclosed by trees. The site had originally been a sports ground. A further sports pitch occupies the open space to the east of the cricket pitch.

Pegrum Drive
Sport and recreation area maintained and operated by the Parish Council with cricket, football, tennis, netball, tennis and other activities. There is also a Multi-Use Games Area and a modern sports pavilion.

Siding Way
This reflect the line of the connection to the Midland Railway main line and used for the transfer of patients and for bringing supplies into the hospital. It ran to the yard of the administration block.

Sources
English Heritage. Web site
London Colney Parish Council. Web site.
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex

Friday, 26 April 2013

River Colne - London Colney

River Colne
The Colne flows south westwards

Post to the east London Colney
Post to the west Napsbury

Broad Colney Lakes Nature Reserve
This is made up of three lakes which are the result of gravel extraction and donated to the trust by Lafarge in 1977.
Long Lake fed by the River Colne which flows through it. Otters are known to pass through. It is used as an angling resource.
North Lake which is still and deep
Small Lake – this is the smallest and is part marshy woodland. Used for carp fishing
Site of Sewage Works built by St. Albans Rural District Council

High Street
Police Station. This is now closed
Golden Lion Pub. This is a 17th building with a timber frame and painted brick outside. Alongside is a 20th hall. Inside are ground glass windows and signage for Truman’s Brewery.
Embatool House. This is the head office of a group of companies set up in 1953 by F.J. Pistol and it remains a family business. They market engineering components with a speciality in pharmaceutical equipment. This was formerly the site of a printing works.
War Memorial. This commemorates 52 local residents killed or missing in the Great War and another 24 from the Second World War.
Baptist chapel. In 1812, after the formation of the Hertfordshire Union of Baptists, a preaching station was established in London Colney. In In 1875 a purpose built chapel was built in the High Street and this remained until 1960 when it was replaced in Kings Road. The site is now the site of the housing in Richardson Close,
White Lion.  The pub closed in late 2009, and by August 2011 the outbuildings beyond the pub had been demolished and new houses were being built. The pub itself is due to be converted into a house.

Shenley Lane
Broad Colney Bridge. Carrying the Colne under the road. Under the bridge is a pale yellow graduated strip as a water level gauge board. There was previously a ford here
Coal duty post. This is on the east side of the road, alongside the bridge to the south.
Broad Colney Chapel. This is on an oval shaped island surrounded by a moat and appears to have been a chantry chapel to St. John the Baptist. The earliest information is from the 12th when it was attached to the manor of Shenley. It was not used after 1571. The moat is dry but of the two paths onto the island one is across a modern concrete bridge. The foundations of the chapel are at the east end and were partly restored in the 1920's apparently on the line of the original chapel.  There is also a circular pond, now dry with a modern brick built causeway across it. as part of the, now closed, nearby Roman Catholic religious institution a shrine was built here because It is said that as an island in the river Colne it was where St. Alban hid before his arrest and execution.
Fir Tree Farm
Barley House Farm
Broad Colney Cottages. Bittleston Ltd. Precision Engineers
Broad Colney Works – light industrial and trading area
Southern entrance to Napsbury Hospital. The driveway is now a track which runs west and then north-west
South Lodge. Built 1905 in an Arts and Crafts-style in brick and rendered
Broadlakes Lodge Social Club. This is a road café complex which has evolved as a social club from the closure of the local British Legion. It is also a venue for local bikers. The site was once a sea cadets training centre

St. Anne’s Road
This was previously White Lion Lane
Sheep House Farm. The farm house was near the White Lion pub.  The farmland became the estate of houses surrounding it and to the west.

Telford Road
Bowmansgreen Primary School. The school was built on land on the Sheephouse Farm Estate and opened in 1952. A metal cockerel was given to the school when it opened as a sculpture. In 2002 the school celebrated its Golden Jubilee and soon after it was extended with five classrooms, a new ICT suite, a library and a new sports hall.

Walsingham Way
St Bernadette Catholic Primary School. This opened in 1971. The school was designed by Mr T Denny. The nursery was opened in April 1979 and replaced in 2009

Sources
Bowmansgreen Primary school. Web site
Brewery History Society. Web site
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust
London Colney Baptist church web site
St Bernadette Catholic Primary School. Web site
Wallsgrove. Hidden Hertfordshire

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

River Colne. London Colney

River Colne
The Colne flows south westwards

Post to the north Whitehorse Lane
Post to the west London Colney
Post to the west Bell Roundabout

Barnet Road
This is on the old main route from London to Holyhead. It is eighteen miles from London and three miles from St Albans and was a convenient first stop for coaches after the steep climb up Ridge.  It was turnpiked early with an Act covering the section from St. Albans to South Mimms in 1715.  The road became part of the A6 and by passed in the early 1960s.
Telford's Bridge. This replaced the ford around which a settlement had grown along the main road. The bridge was actually not by Thomas Telford - the engineer to the Turnpike Trust was James MacAdam but this was built by a local contractor. This is the Seven Arch Bridge over the Colne - on an embankment with seven semi-circular red brick arches progressively larger towards centre.  In 1948 the brick parapets were replaced by metal railings.  In 1977 it was strengthened and returned to something which looked more like the original. In 1998 Repairs were done by Wrekin Construction.
Berkeley House. This is now offices. Built around 1760, with 19th stucco
Ridgeview Lodge. This was Ridgeview Residential Club which may possibly have dated from the 1940s and could have been hostel accommodation for war workers. In 1967 it was rebuilt and became a temporary accommodation and homelessness hostel closing in 2009. It was then leased to the University of Hertfordshire in 2010 as Student Accommodation
The Colney Fox. It is thought that the building was originally Tyttenhanger Lodge used as a boy's school ‘prep’ school owned by a Mr. Trollope which moved to Seaford. In the 1940's and 1950's it was called The Watersplash Hotel, with a restaurant and swimming pool. Now restored and renamed.
Watersplash Lido. May have been the swimming pool for the school taken over by the hotel when they took over the building.
Cooper's Wood - This is next to the Colney Fox Pub and was woodland on part of a new housing site now transferred to the Parish Council. It is named after Robin Cooper, a local teacher.
Sainsburys. This is on the site of John Dale’s Aluminium Foundry. This smelting and process plant was active during the Second World War working with the aircraft industry
Bull. This pub was built in the 16th maybe on the site of an earlier building. It has a timber frame and plastered walls. This is a survivor of what were at one time twenty six inns in the village - in 1922 ten remained.
Saw mills.
Nightingale Cottage. Two 18th cottages currently in use as a nursery
Brier Cottage.  16th timber frame house later altered
Colne Cottage. In the same row of buildings as Brier Cottage but the central part was demolished and replaced by an office
London Coal Duty Marker. South side of the road near the bridge. Erected 1861-2 to mark the limit of coal duty in London area.
Ashley Mead

Bell Lane
Bell Roundabout. This used to be a roundabout on the A6 at the end of the London Colney bypass between the older turnpike road through the village, and the B55. It later became part of a double roundabout with the M25 and is part of junction 22

Burr Close
Green Dragon Pub. Built as an inn in the 17th. It is timber framed with 18th red brick outside. Inside is some 17th timber panelling on the first floor, said to have come from Salisbury Hall.
1-4 18th cottages. They are on a track at the side of the Pub.

High Street
1-5 18th red brick house with 19th shop fronts.
27 house which was once a shop. It has a 17th timber frame, cased in brick in the 18th. In the ground floor is a 20th double shop front with garage doors.
28 The Bakery. This was two cottages one of which is 18th with decorative brickwork below the eaves. The other is smaller and may have been an addition. There is also an timber outbuilding behind used as a garage and workshop
29 18th house with a timber frame
31- 33 17th timber framed housing with later brick outside
43-53 Mullingar Cottages. Built in 1878 of brick

Lowbell Lane
10 The Willows, London Colney Islamic Centre in what was a house used by Cemex Aggregates organisation.
Lowbell Lane Lake, Used for Carp fishing. The Lake is a widening of the Colne.

London Colney By Pass
Riverside Industrial Estate
Riverside Chemical Works. The F.W.Berk Company were based in Stratford East London but in 1947 the first hydrochloric acid plant was erected here by A.D.Berk. In 1951 they started extracting fuller's earth at Aspley Heath. This was transported to a processing plant here and a clay development laboratory was set up

M25

Riverside
St Peters Church of England.  Designed in 1825 by George Smith. Stained glass windows of the ascension designed by the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford and made by Hughes in 1865.
The Vicarage. This dates from 1836 and replaced an older building which was in a range which included the now demolished Swan Pub. A flint and brick garden wall survives

Robins Close
54 House built around 1830 in red brick.
Square walled garden.

Waterside
Lake – this is an old gravel pit, into which the River has been diverted. It is wide and long and is used as a fishing and nature reserve
The Millstone
Colne House. Built around 1800 in brick
Riverside Cottage, this was an outbuilding to Colne Cottage built in the 19th
Summerville, 19th cottage, in white painted brick and pebble dash sides.
Colneford Cottage. This was originally two 18th cottages
Watermede. This was originally two 18th brick and timber cottages
Waterside House. 18th timber framed house
River View. 19th brick cottage
Osier Cottage. 19th cottage with a modern extension

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Colney Fox, Web site
Green Dragon. Web site.
SABRE. A6. Web site.
Smith. London Engineering Heritage
St. Albans City Council. Web site