Friday, 26 July 2013

River Bulbourne - Berkhamsted

River Bulbourne
The Bulbourne continues to flow south eastwards
SP 99204 08193

Area of this Hertfordshire town around the medieval castle and the station in the valley of the Bulborne, Steep streets go up to the hills above the town to the north.

Post to the west Gossoms
Post to the south Berkhamsted


Berkhampstead Castle. This is on the northern slope of Bulbourne valley and near Akeman Street – strategically guarding the Tring gap.  After the battle of Hastings, William marched northwest to the Thames at Wallingford, and Edgar, with London leaders came to Berkhampstead to surrender. The Conqueror gave the castle to his half- brother Robert, Count of Mortain, who probably built the existing earthworks. His son William lost Berkhamsted in 1104, after a failed rebellion and Henry I gave it his Chancellor, Randulph and it later reverted to the Crown. 1155- 1165 Thomas Becket held it as Chancellor, and the oldest masonry probably dates from then. In 1216 it was besieged in a dispute with Queen Isabel.  King John’s son, Richard, built a tower and and a palace complex in 1254 and it was used as a prison for King John of France. It later became part of the Duchy of Cornwall. Edward IV’s mother Cicely, Duchess of York, lived there. In 1580 it was leased to Sir Edward Carey who built Berkhamsted Place. After the Civil War it was sold, but it remained in the Duchy of Cornwall. It stands on the slope of a chalk hill, with springs, and a wet ditch and a bank and ditch surround the inner earthworks. The railway and the road have breached these outer defences and the ditches are now dry. A third bank may have been platform for siege engines. The motte and bailey remain and there are the remains of a circular keep, with a well and part of a staircase and a fireplace. 
Ley line – it is supposed that there is a ley line on Akeman Street, that another ley goes on via a moat at Chesham to a camp at West Wickham and then via Stoke to the Long Walk in Windsor Great Park. 

Castle Hill
Berkhamsted Place. The manor of Berkhamsted was given by Elizabeth to her Sir Edward Carey. The castle was by then ruined and he built mansion house on the hill overlooking the castle using some of the castle stone. The house was in the shape of an E and a lime avenue led to it up the hill. By 1548 the house was being leased out to various members of the Carey family and in 1612 it was bought by Henry Prince of Wales and on his death it passed to his brother Charles. It became the home of the Murray family and in the Civil War was taken over by a Cromwellian soldier who was later hunt. In 1660 the house was badly damaged in a fire and a great deal of it was rebuilt. The house then passed through the ownership of several aristocratic families and by 1937 by Granville Ram was a parliamentary counsel to the treasury. In 1950 it was sold and converted to flats – one resident being sculptor Reg Butler. By 1963 it was unoccupied and derelict. It was demolished in 1967.
Castle Hill Farm. The farm is on a site with several yards including cattle sheds, stables, hen house, cart shed and a Dutch barn. There is a 16th timber framed barn built on the scale of a tithe barn to house produce from the estate for the big house – it has however been reduced in size
Berkhamsted Cricket Club. The club dates from the 1880s or earlier. The site is called Kitchener’s Fields.

Grand Union Canal
Berkhamsted Top Lock No 53. Also known as: Broadwater Lock
Lower King's Road Bridge. Built in the late 19th
Berkhamsted Bridge No 141 Castle Street Bridge

Lower Kings Road
This was a new road built in 1895 to provide access to the station
Corby, Palmer and Stewart Ltd. Mantle factory. Corby took over the factory in 1919 and made ladies' coats and dresses in 1919. During the Second World War they made army uniforms and parts for Mosquito aircraft
Berkhamsted Station. The station is on the London Midland West coast line with trains going to London and Northampton. Berkhampstead station was built in in 1838 and was to the south-east of the current building near the bridge onto Castle Street. It was in a Tudor style. It was replaced in 1875 when the line was widened. At the same time new sidings replacing an earlier goods yard nearer to Gravel Path. It was originally on Robert Stephenson’s London and Birmingham Railway and was the centre of railway construction for the line. In 1834 a high brick embankment was built on top of the ruined barbican and moat of Berkhamsted castle.  The first passenger train passed through Berkhamsted on 16 October 1837.
Broadwater Sports Ground
Canal Fields – at the western end playground and skate park

Station Road
The Crystal Palace.

Sources
Archaeology Data Service. Web site
Berkhamsted Castle. Web site
Berkhamsted Cricket Club. Web site
Berkhamsted Place. Wikipedia. Web site
Canalplan. Web site
Mee. Hertfordshire
Ministry of Works. Berkhamsted Castle
Watkin. The Old Straight Track

Wednesday, 24 July 2013

River Bulbourne - Gossoms

River Bulbourne
The Bulbourne flows south eastwards

Post to the west Northchurch
Post to the east Berkhamsted

Belton Road
Until the mid 1920’s the area was rough pasture and marsh.  The ground along the stream has been made up with household rubbish, probably in the 1930s. It was built on with housing and warehousing post-Second World War.

Billet Lane
Ford – this preceded the bridge over the stream, but the flow was much greater before the mid-2oth
Bulbourne Bridge
Bridge over the Grand Union Canal
Railway Bridge
Gas works   Built in 1906 replacing a works to the east.  Gas production at the works ceased in 1955. One holder remained into the 1980s but has now gone
Gas Works railway.    An extemsion to the rail line ran from the station good yard to the gasworks coal traffic.  It arrived at a small staithe where coal was transhipped into narrow gauge wagons for carryage it to the gasworks. The line to the works went through a small tunnel in the main line embankment to arrive at the works. The gauge was 18½in and the trains were worked by a horse called Ruby. The tunnel is still there but disused. Some rails remained.
River Park Industrial estate on the gas works site
Approximate site of the old Northchurch workhouse, Billet Lane. It was demolished between 1830 and 1834.

Bridgewater Road
A possible Romano- British pottery kiln, dating from the 3rd/4th century AD was discovered in a builder’s trench in 1956. A medieval ditch was also found which was thought to be a possible boundary ditch associated with the Old Park

Bridle Way
Bridgwater Middle School. The school dates from 1972
Archaeological excavations at Bridgewater School found four shaft furnaces from the 1st as well as two lengths of Iron Age ditch and four pits containing bits of pottery. It is possible that this is part of a large ironworking site. There is also a medieval ditch in the grounds of the School

Brook Lane
The Bulbourne can be seen here flowing between two blocks of housing. It has the same depth as upstream - a narrow stream with a vigorous flow rate and has a well scoured gravel bed

Canal Field Park
The area is thought to have been agricultural before the 20th.  Watercress was grown here in the late 19th until the mid-20th
Open-air swimming pool built in the 1920s and since demolished.
Millennium Garden. This was planted in 2000 but has since been moved to a different location. It is intended as a quiet area.
Berkhamsted Sports Ground Charitable Association Ltd, owners of the football ground
Lawn Tennis and Squash Rackets Club.  The Berkhamsted Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club was established in 1897, which amalgamated with the Berkhamsted Hard Court club in 1963. A Squash section was set up in 1973, and the club renamed as the “Berkhamsted Lawn Tennis and Squash Rackets Club” in 1974. Facilities have been improved and extended since
Berkhamsted Town Football Club, The club was set up in 1919 as Berkhamsted Comrades by ex-servicemen and in 1922 changed its name to Berkhamsted Town FC. In they moved to the Broadwater ground on Lower Kings Road.  The club was wound up in 2009 through debt. It is now Berkhamsted Football Club
Berkhamsted Bowls Club. The bowling green and surrounding area is leased to the Club which dates from 1985
Subway from South Park Gardens under the railway into the park – this is separate from the old gas works subway

Gossoms End
64 19th house in red brick
62 – 63 17th house with timber frame and timbers exposed on the back gable.
60 Gossom's Cottage. 17th with a stucco front. Said to date to 1691
59 Gossoms Lodge, 16th or 17th building with a front inC18 Gothic style. Windows on the first floor with pointed arched glazing bars.
Scout Hut. 1st Gossoms End Scout Group
Lagley House. Sheltered housing on the site of a previous ‘big’ house
Crooked Billet. This is now an off licence. The pub dates to at least the 1750s. The present building is north of the original site and dates to 1962
50 Rose and Crown. Pub now closed following a licence review.

Grand Union Canal
Northchurch Bridge No.140.  This is the bridge which takes Billet Lane over the canal
Northchurch Pipe Bridge. Alongside the Billet Lane bridge.
Northchurch Lock No 51. Also known as: Old Ned's Lock or, Gas Lock No 1
Northchurch Lock No.52. Also known as Gas Lock No.2.
Park Street footbridge
Pedestrian footbridge.

High Street
289 Quaker Meeting House. This is a brick building with an Inscription 'Erected 1818" on the front wall. A porch was added in 1964, but the building remains set well back from the street behind its burial ground, which is kept as a lawn.
St. James Church. It is thought that the first church in Berkhamsted was St. James’s, and that it may have been founded in the 11th or 12th. It may have been in the north side of the High Street at the junction with St. John’s Well Lane. This area was once called Oldeburh. It seems to have been a parish church with a graveyard. It may have become the chapel for the Hospital of St. John
Hospital of St. John the Baptist. This seems to have been on the site of St. James church. It was founded by Geoffrey Fitz Piers in 1216-17, and endowed with land by Queen Isabella.
National School. In 1834, the Countess of Bridgewater gave land at the corner of Cross Oak Road for a national and infant school based on the principles of the Church of England. The school, was demolished by 1972 and replaced by a garage
East’s Timber Yard.  In 1840 and moved to the corner with Gossoms End, in 1888. The company, produced wooden tools and furniture am did particularly well out of the Crimean War. The factory was demolished in the 1980s. The site may have been an area of Romano-British occupation
Kitsbury Parade. Built on the site of the Berkhamsted Workhouse. In 1831 the Berkhamsted parish built a workhouse on what was an existing workhouse called Ragged Row. Using a bequest from a local clergyman. After 1834 this wad managed by the Berkhampstead Poor Law Union and dealt with clients from the surrounding area of Hertford. There was no school and children attended the local National School. The system ended in 1930 but the building, called Nugent House continued until 1935 and the site sold in 1937.
346 Methodist Church. Primitive Methodism reached Berkhamsted in the 1860s and the chapel was built in 1867. In 1974 the Methodists decided to join with the Anglican parish church of All Saints, and to use that church and thus the chapel was sold. The building was converted to offices in the late 1970s. In 2004, the ground floor became a fast food ship and the first floor converted to two flats. The interior of the roof of the chapel was preserved in the ceilings of the flats.

North Bridge Road
Industrial and trading area

Park Street
Footbridge over the Canal
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church 

Railway
The North Western main line runs on an embankment and the goods-yard (now a car park) was on the east side

River Bulbourne
The chalk stream was straightened through this area. Near of St. John’s Well Lane it has been artificially widened to form a lake – thought to be connected to watercress production

Riverside Gardens
Development of Council flats

St. Johns Well Lane
St. John’s Well, was fed by a natural spring that flowed here.  It was a place of pagan rites until the 12th even in the 19th it was reputed to cure sore eyes. The water ran to the river until it dried up in the 1930s. It has also been known as St. James’s Well – relating to the old parish church
Telephone Exchange. This dates from the mid-1960s and replaced an earlier manual facility.

Stag Lane
The culverted Bulbourne has been exposed by demolishing the concrete floors of warehouses
Lane's Nurseries, Between here and St. John’s Well Lane were Lane’s Nurseries, founded in 1777 and they grew apples, pears, plums and cherries
Saw mill 1879

Victory Road
Gossoms Ryde Community Hospital
Elderly Care Unit.
Toad Hall Nursery
Gossoms End Intermediate Care Unit
Physiotherapy Unit
 

Sources
Archaeology Data Services. Web site
Berkhamsted Lawn Tennis and Squash Rackets Club. Web site
Berkhampstead Lib-Dem. web site
Bridgewater School. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Canalplan. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
My Primitive Methodist. Web site
Workhouses. Web site

Monday, 22 July 2013

River Bulbourne, Northchurch

River Bulbourne
The Bulbourne flows south eastwards

Post to the north Northchurch
Post to the east Gossoms

Ashby Road
Home Farm. This was on the corner with Covert Road. Buildings on the site appear to be a conversation of stable and other building.

Bell Lane
Grim's Ditch. A 210m Long Section Immediately North West of Woodcock Hill
Northchurch Social Centre, run by The Northchurch and District Association. At a public meeting held by the Rector in 1962, it was agreed that a new hall was needed. Money was collected door to door and in 1965 the site was acquired and the centre built with the addition of grant money. Everyone over 18 in Northchurch and the Western part of Berkhampstead are automatically members.
Burial Ground. This was the site of a Baptist chapel built in 1840 which grew until by the late 1870s it has a schoolroom and vestry. It was demolished in 1920.
Bell Lane Cottages. Built in the 1920s-30s
Mechanics Institute, this was on the north corner with Alma Road. It was later known as the Technical School and built around 1902. During the war it was an evacuee’s boy’s school, housing some 150 boys.

Canalside
Industrial and trading area

Douglas Gardens
Lagley Meadows Recreation Ground
Sportspace

Durrants Lane
Durrants was one of the manorial holdings of Berkhampstead and this was a gated road up to 1914.
Woodcock Hill. The estate existed by the 19th and the house was built by Frank Moore in the late 1840s. In 1911 it was owned by Robert Mcvitie – who could get a direct train to his biscuit factory in Willesden
The Rookery
Coxes Dell. In the late 19th this was a small wood over an old chalk pit. A 17th owner was a Mr. Cock.

Grand Union Canal
Bushes Lock No 50. Also known as Awkward Billy Lock or Crooked Billet Lock

High Street
A4251 – this is the old A41 now bypassed to the south. It was previously part of the Sparrows Herne turnpike road but originally pre-Roman and Roman Akeman Street.
49 Northchurch Place
67 Northchurch Baptist Church. The church had been based in a chapel in Bell Lane which by the 1890s was too small. The present building was constructed in 1900 and a hall extension opened in 1987. In 2004, the congregation bought Cherry Tree Cottage next door.
69-73 17th houses in colour washed brick,
79 17th house. Roughcast
80 Rectory
84 - 96 North Church Almshouses or Church Houses. They are 15th or 16th timber framed buildings with an over sailing 1st floor and colour washed brick nogging. There is also a Churchyard wing which is later with 19th bargeboards
87 Saint George and the Dragon Public House. Part of late 16th timber framed house on the east side with framework exposed. Joined on the west side by an 18th brick house. Said to be haunted by one of the ex-regulars. The pub has an extant Benskins Brewery plaque by the door.
126 Rosemary Cottage. 16th or early 17th. Timber framed brick house. Once called Morris's Farm.
127 Exhims. House in brown brick. Considerable extensions at the back, now Exhims Mews
144 Old Grey Mare Pub, this has been demolished and replaced by a block of flats called Barnet House.  The sign board remains outside
St.Mary’s Church. The parish church has a Saxon origin and is one of the oldest churches in Hertfordshire. There are Saxon remains in the south and west walls and flint wall extensions were built before the 14th centuries. It is thought that the nearness of the Danelaw boundary led to the Saxon building being reinforced in stone with one single entrance. A stone-faced tower was added in the 15th with a stair turret and in the 1880s an, aisle, vestries and a porch. The octagonal font and piscina are 15th and there is a 14th chest. A brass tablet in the church commemorates Peter the Wild Boy. A white ensign in the church was presented when the war memorial was dedicated.
Churchyard.  A gravestone of Peter the Wild Boy.  War Memorial. This was an early dedication and some names are duplicated on the Berkhampstead memorial as parish boundaries had changed. In the early 1960’s a crack was found and to preserve the names inscribed on the memorial's base it was decided to remove the cross and re-erect it on a new base. The original base remains but was moved nearer the churchyard wall
Northchurch Hall. Brick and timber house, once a farm-house, enlarged in 1760 by William Duncombe.  It appears to have disappeared in the early 1960s and replaced with terraced housing.
Durrants Farm - site of farm which replaced the manorial holding of Durrants

New Road
St. Marys Church of England School. The school is adjacent to the church dates from 1864. It was built on land given by Earl Brownlow of the nearby Ashridge Estate and extended in the 20th.
Church Hall, alongside and accessed via the school.

North Bridge Road
Industrial and Trading Estate
Berkhampstead Waste Disposal and Recycling Facility

Northchurch
Northchurch is thought to be an older settlement than Berkhampstead but that the focus of the area moved eastwards after the castle was built. It has been known as Berkhampstead St.Mary

Railway
Northchurch tunnel. 355 yard long, built in the 1830s on the London and Birmingham Railway. It now forms part of the West Coast mainline.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Ancient Monuments Info. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
Hertfordshire Churches
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Northchurch Baptist Church. Web site
St. Marys Church of England School. Web site

Sunday, 21 July 2013

River Bulbourne - Northchurch

River Bulbourne
The Bulbourne flows south eastwards

Post to the south Northchurch

Grand Union Canal
North Church Top Lock No.69
Back pumping station. This is where there is a British Waterways borehole from which water can be back-pumped to the Tring summit using equipment installed upstream.

High Street
The High Street follows the line of Roman Akeman Street
Recreation Ground

New Road
New Road Cemetery. In use since the 1920s.
Northchurch House with stable yard, etc
Woodside Cottage – 18th or earlier in brick probably around a timber frame with red brick 19t extensions. Said to have been the parish Pest House Deep well in front of house with brick curb and wood winding gear.

Northchurch Common,
The common, partly now owned by the National Trust, stretches considerably beyond this area to the north and joins Berkhampstead Common to the west.

Sources
Canalplan. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
English Heritage. Web site

Saturday, 20 July 2013

River Gade - The Magic Roundabout

River Gade
The Gade flows southwards and is joined by the Grand Union Canal from the west which also leaves it to the east

Post to the north Hemel Hempstead
Post to the west Boxmoor
Post to the south Two Waters

Albion Hill
Primitive Methodist chapel built here in 1861 just off the eastern side of Lower Marlowes but the society seems to have quite collapsed quite quickly. By 1883 the building WAS occupied by the Salvation Army and known as the “Old Glory Shop”. The Salvation Army moved in 1908 and building became Hemel Hempstead’s first cinema, the Electric Theatre in 1909. A new stage at the back was added in 1912 but by 1916 it was no longer licensed. The building was further enlarged and re-opened wharfas the Aero in 1920. This closed in 1925. Then it was used as a printing works and had been demolished by 1968. The Marlowes Shopping Centre now covers its former site somewhere in the vicinity of the unit now occupied by River Island.

Bank Court
Statue.  The discobolus was originally planned to go here but is now in the gardens.  Bank Court was then a small semi circle off Waterhouse Street
9 National Westminster Bank
11 Barclays Bank
Memorial to PC Frank Mason of the Hertfordshire Constabulary
Shot dead when he intervened in an armed robbery while off duty in 1988.
Boxmoor Iron Works. The works was on the site now covered by Bank Court with a large yard between Marlowes and the river. It was founded by James Davis and made agricultural implements. By 1886, the business was known as Davis and Lane and later Davis and Bailey. The foundry was rebuilt around 1870. There was a house for the works manger, blacksmiths, carpentry and a large foundry. After the Second World War the firm was gradually run down and closed with Mr. Bailey's death in 1949. The beam engine was taken by the Science Museum.

Boxmoor
Much of the land in the south part of this square is owned and managed by the Boxmoor Trust. This was set up in 1594 when land was purchased to keep it in common ownership. It is run by an elected body of local people.

Boxmoor Wharf.
Owned by the Boxmoor Trust in the north bank of the Grand Union Canal.  Sale of land to the canal company financed the trust to build Boxmoor Wharf.  Boxmoor Wharf. Income from  the wharf’s went to towards poor relief. The wharf then became the main coal wharf serving the town. There were once two basins on the north side of the canal here. They had been infilled by the 1960s.
Balderson’s Wharf – Henry Balderson was a coal and coke merchant 1900s. He was Mayor of the Borough of Hemel Hempstead in 1900. He also used the wharf to import wines and spirits.
Roses. There had been a pool here filled in when the wharf was leased to Rose's who shipped raw lime juice from London direct to the wharf and the smell was well known locally, The barrels had to be sprayed with water to prevent drying out. This closed in 1981.
Lavers Timber Yard. This stood on the more easterly of the basins and adjacent to Lawn Lane. Lavers began in business 1868 in London with a tea shop then rented a yard at Fishery Wharf in this area and then moved to this site. They imported timber which was brought here by barge on the canal. A saw mill replaced by modern machinery, but they still used steam even in 1914. A separate channel led to their wharf
B and Q. Since 1986 it has been leased to B and Q

Bridge Street
Area of early demolition for redevelopment of the new town
Car parks, parallel to the Water Gardens as part of the new town development. They are divided from the gardens by a bank made up of material dredged from the Gade.

Cedar Walk
Said to be on the line of the driveway to Corner Hall although map evidence seems to suggest that it covers the north and east boundary lines. The road and others were in place before 1940.

Corner Hall
9 Lilac Cottage. 17th or earlier. Whitewashed pebble dash
10 17th or earlier building with whitewashed pebbledash
11 18th building in pebbledash
Three Gables.  Home of Sanguinetti family in 1906.  Built in the 15th it has been described as a pilgrim rest house. Currently used as offices.
Tannery – this was there in the 1860s
Corner Hall – a close of new buildings between Lawn Lane and Corner Hall (road) are now also called Corner Hall. This is on land once used by a variety of industries including a cardboard box factory and now office and light industrial space.
Cardboard Box Factory

Cottrells
Cotterells is an old road paralleling Marlowes on the west side of the valley. The derivation of the name is not known
116-117 Spotted Cow pub. Demolished.
Eagle Inn. Closed and gone
Cotterells rail depot and sidings. These were served by a line running north from Heath Park Halt and were on the east side of the road.  The depot handed coal and London sweepings to be used as fertiliser by farmers.

Crabtree Lane
New roads to the north west of the lane have been built on the sites of the schools and the football ground, but appear to have changed layout and names more than once since construction.  Old maps show a chalk pit and a clump of trees on areas now built on.
Corner Hall Primary School. This site is now housing. The school was there from sometime in the 1930s until the 1960s
Corner Hall Boys School. This site is now housing. The school was there from sometime in the 1930s until the 1960s
Wood Lane Football Ground, more commonly known as Crabtree Lane. This was home to Hemel Hempstead Football Club where they remained until 1972.  The ground was taken over by the Development Corporation for housing.

Grand Union Canal
This was originally built as the Grand Junction Canal. It opened in 1804, following the line of the Sparrows Herne turnpike road to the south.
Boxmoor Bottom Lock No 64. A low wall with railings here marks the site of a demolished lock cottage which GJC had been changed to GUC
Baths - site of public baths, Boxmoor Baths were built by the Boxmoor Trust in 1840. It used canal water and lasted until 1937. The pool was built in a hole left by the removal of clay for puddling the canal and it was eventually filled in in 1942 with spoil from the widening of Box Lane. Another hole alongside was used for a private pool.
Boxmoor Bottom Lock Winding Hole
River Gade Junction

Heath Brow Lane
Developed on the site of a Vicarage and its gardens

Heath Lane
Heath Lane Children’s Centre. Opened in 2007
South Hall. This was a private house until the early 20th but became a private girls' school before demolition. Part of the estate of South Hall house became an annex for the Grammar school opposite.
South Lodge. South Lodge, on the corner of Charles Street, was once used as accommodation by the teachers for Lockers Park School.
South Hill Primary School. Built in the grounds of South Hall in 1951.
Heath Brow School. This was on a site roughly now occupied by Heath Brow Lane which itself is near the site of Hillside, a private house.  The house was used by Montagu Draper, from 1872 -1874, before the school at Lockers Park was ready to be used. It later was used by Walter Dowling as Heath Brow College, Heath Park School or Boxmoor School. This was a ‘classical and commercial Grammar school’.
Vicarage. This has now been demolished
Hemel Hempstead School. Hemel Hempstead Grammar School was built in the 1930s. It later became a Comprehensive School
Sportsspace – Dacorum Sports Centre
Heath Lane Cemetery. The Cemetery was opened in 1878 and was the first municipal cemetery in the area. It had two chapels, now disused and there are also some war graves. There are also a large number of redwood trees

King Harry Street
The southern end of this road is now a gated way through the backs of shops and flats. It seems earlier to have been a lane at the backs of houses, passing the grounds of St Bernard’s Villa and the southern end blocked by the railway line.
Bowling Alley. This was Ambassador Lanes in the 1960s

Lansley Road
BT Exchange

Lawn Lane
50 18th. Colour washed pebbledash house
34 Queens Head 1933
Corner Hall. The original house was on the opposite side of the road – on the east side. It was gone by the 1930s
Compco Fire Systems – make sprinklers
Malthouse. In the 1870s this stood as one of the buildings on Boxmoor wharf

Leighton Buzzard Road
Plough. This pub once stood at the junction of Station Road and Leighton Buzzard Road and was the pub after which the roundabout was originally named. It dated from at least the 19th but was demolished when the roundabout was built.
Alfie Morland Bridge. This is a single span cable stay bridge across the Leighton Buzzard road with a span of 39m. A plaque mid span to says 'Dedicated to Alfie Morland 2007'. Alfie was a child who died and whose parents began fund raising for a brain tumour trust
Car parks parallel to the west side of the road were part of the original water gardens design.

Magic Roundabout
The official name of the roundabout is The Plough Roundabout. It was built in 1973 to reduce problems at this intersection of seven roads. At the junction of each road with the roundabout there is a mini-roundabout and between them traffic can go clockwise or anti-clockwise around the main roundabout. The river Gade passes through the centre of it. A subway runs from Heath Park Gardens round the west side of the roundabout to the town centre riverside area

Marlowes
Stages in the Development of Man. this stone mural by Alfred Gerard was installed in 1955 and is in the corner of Bridge Street, It consists of four wall panels built into the end façade of a building. Made from Portland stone the four panels portray man in different ways, ‘Man The Town Dweller’, ‘Man The Machine User’ ‘Pastoral Man’ and ‘Man The hunter’.
Water Play, a fountain, with Bronze sculpture of three children by Michael Rizzelo. Installed in 1993
A bronze relief map depicting Hemel Hempstead as it was in 1947. The designer was Graham Thompson and the sculptor was John Ravera.
The Residents' Rainbow, a concrete and glass rainbow sculpture. It is on a grassy bank and symbolises the aspirations of the first people who moved to the new town after the Second World War. It was unveiled in 1993 by its American Sculptor, Colin Lambert. It has become an unofficial war memorial.
New Town Growth. This steel tree was designed by Peter Parkinson and created by Richard Quinnell. Each panel represents a different aspect of Hemel Hempstead's past and present
Railway Bridge. This was a local landmark on the Hemel Hempstead and Harpenden Railway which closed in 1959. The bridge was blown up at midnight on 6th July 1960.
Hempstead House, later known as BP House. This was a14 storey block by Maurice Bebb built in 1961 and partly used by BP. At had a sinuous a bridge-like range which crossed Marlowes and was built on the site of the old railway viaduct following the railway line. The office building was designed to create a similar skyline as the viaduct. A Univac 1006 was installed on the 1st floor as part of the BP Shell Mex southern computer centre. In the early 1980s it was discovered that the building was subsiding and it was subsequently vacated and demolished. Debenhams now on the site
The Waggon and Horses Pub was at the entrance to Marlowes. It dated from the mid 19th as a beer house. The site was sold in 1898 and the pub was bought by Harpenden brewers, Glover and Sons. It was rebuilt in the 1930s and sited behind a forecourt. It was demolished in 1989 for a lakeside shopping development
League Square’ - so called because the roads and alleys of that time made up a square, each side of which was equivalent to one league. 
164 Henry VIII pub. This was on the site of Bank Court and demolished in 1950s
260 Quality House. Co-op. at one time this was Hemel’s only department store. It is now Primark
Luxor Cinema. Opened in 1926 and called ‘New Aero’ to replace the closed cinema on Albion Hill. It reopened as the Luxor in 1930 and was converted for talkies. There were also live shows. It closed in 1959 and was demolished in 1960. 
Albion Mill. This stood near where the railway crossed the road

Moor End Road
Double-helix public car park which stood on the roundabout next to the BP building. This had four storeys with a coloured ball on the top. It has since been demolished

Paradise
Industrial and trading area
Royal Mail depot. Now demolished

Selden Hill
MacAlpine’s building at the entrance to the town centre. This was built in 1952 by M.J.Bebb in precast concrete. It was the first new building in the new town centre. It was in three storeys with a recessed fourth storey.  Called Hempstead House it remains in office use.

St John's Road
10 Seattle Steak House. Previously Ye Olde Projectionist with cinema memorabilia
Boxmoor Hall. Boxmoor Arts Centre for Young People and Drama School. Boxmoor Hall was built in 1889 from surplus funds by the Boxmoor Trust.  It has been used as a magistrate’s court, more recently as a local authority arts centre. Since 2007 it has been privately owned as a performing arts centre.
Heath Barn, this was once Heath Farm and is now a 17th barn and farm complex.  In the early 20th it was the home of writer Col.Brereton and before that a private school.  It us now a music centre for Hemel Hempstead School.
Boxmoor Playhouse. Owned by the Hemel Hempstead theatre Company, originally the Hemel Hempstead Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society) since 1997. The company dates from 1925.  The building was previously St. John’s Hall.
The Oval. Boxmoor Cricket Club. Permission was given by the Boxmoor Trust for cricket to be played on the ‘moor’ in 1857 but not on Sundays until 1960. A pavilion was built in 1962 but they were burnt down in 1971. They were rebuilt and replaced in 1983.
Hemel Hempstead Cricket Club founded 1850. Sticky Wicket Café and Pavilion.
War memorial. This is a stone cross on a four-sided plinth. The memorial was moved here from the road junction now covered by the magic roundabout. The land it stands on belongs to the Boxmoor Trust but administered by Dacorum local authority
Balderson’s Moor. This is on the west bank of the Gade and north of the canal. This is parkland with scattered trees including horse chestnut and lime trees along the channel.
Blackbirds Moor. This is the open area west of the church. Owned by the Boxmoor Trust. This is parkland with scattered trees. There are horse chestnut trees along a path and in the north boundary. There is also lime and sycamore trees near the buildings; ash and copper beech near the cricket pitch and pediculate oak, walnut, alder and weeping willow near the canal
An iron gas lamp stood opposite the station. This remained outside the Heath Park Hotel
Tank - In 1920, Hemel Hempstead was given a tank by the National War Savings Committee.  It then stood on a plinth outside the Heath Park Hotel and was sold for scrap in the 1940s.
'Pump and Lamp' Joseph Cranston 1835 St Johns Road

Station Road
Area known as Moor End
Station Moor. This is the area between the canal and the River Bulborne and west of Station Road. It is owned by the Boxmoor Trust. This is grazed grassland with horse chestnuts along avenues and some ash and sycamore
Heath Park. The land it stands on belongs to the Boxmoor Trust but administered by Dacorum local authority. Along the southern edge of the Hemel Hempstead Cricket Club are Lombardy poplars. There is also ash, crack willow, sycamore, lime, horse chestnut, and mature elms. Ivy covers the ground. A path from Two Waters Road once led to a bandstand.  This was erected by Hemel Hempstead Borough Council who originally owned the area in the 1920s. There was also a children's playground near to where the Kodak building now stands. These were removed when the New Town was developed in the 1950s.
Heath Park Gardens. This is the area west of the River Gade and Two Waters Road, north of the Canal and south of Station Road. It is owned by the Boxmoor Trust. It is a small formal park with bedding displays and a rose garden. There are some derelict benches and a grim subway to the town centre. There is formal tree planting and mown grass. Trees include Norway maple, white beams, horse chestnut and lime. The River Gade goes through the park in a hard edge channel.
St. Johns the Evangelist Church. Built in 1874 situated off Blackbirds Moor. It includes a memorial chapel. The church has been involved in a charity- Music at St. John’s- and has a new Nicholson organ. designed by Norman Shaw. Church has two aisles and the nave was extended in 1893:
there is a turret above. It replaced a Chapel of Ease from 1829.

Kodak Tower. KD tower the EMEA headquarters of Kodak Eastman which was built in the 1960s. It was designed by Sir Thomas Bennett KBE FRIBA and supported by a design team which included Edward Winkless FRIBA. It was built on Boxmoor Trust land. Kodak vacated the building in 2005 and it was bought by Dandara, a property development company. It is now housing and the height increased from 20 floors to 22 floors.
Rodin statue. This was a monument of Balzac which stood outside the Kodak Tower. It had been designed in 1898 but had been rejected by the commissioning body.  Versions of it were cast in the 1930s and this one cast in bronze in 1971. Kodak sold it to an unknown buyer in the 1990s.
Heath Park Halt. This station was the terminus for passenger services on the line from Harpenden from 1905 when the line was extended from Hemel Hempstead town centre. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1947, and the station closed and demolished with the line in 1960.The station was on an embankment above the junction of Station Road and Corner Hall Road.

Two Waters Road
Magic Hand Car Wash
Canal Bridge

Waterhouse Street
The Water Gardens. This was built in the late 1950s by Geoffrey Jellicoe as part of the New Town project. This square relates to the southern portion. The river Gade was canalized in part to represent a serpent, of which the lake was the head.
Formal garden – set opposite Bank Square in order to complement it it is on a slope and planted are in a grid of paths with seating. It includes pleached limes at either end and yew which have survived with some willows. It is supposed to repreent a Howdah on the serfpengts back
Bridges – bridges over the canal are the straps holding the howdah on the serpent’s back
Lovers Walk – the winds down the west side of the Gade and includes dense self-planted woodland.
Kangaroo, Joey and Platypus sculpture by John Dowie. The group was presented to the town by Elizabeth, South Australia in 1963. It was originally put in Albion Court, and when that was demolished removed to the Water Gardens.
Discobolus: The Discus Thrower. This is a bronze casting copying a 5th Greek marble sculpture. It was bought by the Hemel Hempstead Development Corporation at an auction in 1960. Before that it had been in the driveway of Amersfoot, in Potten End. It is thought the statue originated in Africa.
Lake. designed as the head of the serpent. The original lighting was destroyed by the swans. Irises were dealt with likewise.
Rock and Roll. This is the Spirit of the Dance by Huber Yencesse. It was suggested and donated by the Chairman of the Corporation Henry Wells.  Jellicoe thought it should be in the water rather than Bank Square where it stood originally. He thought it should be wet and glistening and represent flies on the surface of the serpent.
Fountain. Jellicoe specified this should reach 40 feet but cost savings meant it was only 20 feet high.

Wood Lane
Industrial and trading area.

Sources
Alfie Morland Trust. Web site
Boxmoor Cricket Club. Web site
Boxmoor Playhouse. Web site
Boxmoor Trust. Web site
Canalplan. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
Dacorum Heritage. Web site
Dacorum History Digest. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Hemel Hempstead School. Web site
Hertfordshire Cinemas. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Heath Park Halt. Wikipedia. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Mee. Hertfordshire.
My Primitive Methodists. Web site
Nobbs. A walk along the canal towpath
Oldendaysbp. Web site
Our Dacorum. Web site
Primark. Web site
Roll of Honour. Web site
St. John’s Church. Web site