Sunday, 5 January 2014
River Ash Queen Mary Reservoir
The River Ash follows the west bank of the Queen Mary Reservoir and then swings west and continues southwards
Post to the north Queen Mary Reservoir
Post to the south Shepperton Studios
Queen Mary Reservoir.
Reservoir. Designed by John Watson Gibson for the Metropolitan Water Board. The reservoir is now owned by Thames Water. 200,000,000 gallons if of water are pumped into it each day from the intake at Panton Hook.
Littleton Pumping Station, This pumps water from the Thames intake into the Queen Mary Reservoir. It was constructed at the same time as the reservoir in 1924. There is a large engine hall, with the boiler house adjoining to the rear constructed by John Laing and Co, Both in red brick. Inside is an elevated office for the chief engineer with views over the whole space. The hall roof is lined with mahogany, with a metal gantry. The walls have white glazed bricks with green glazed tiles lower down. There are four horizontal steam engines by Ashworth & Parker coupled to four centrifugal pumps by Worthington Simpson. The pumping capacity was 75,000,000 gallons a day. They were boosted by an electric motor in 1951 of 775 hp. Steam powered pumping ended in 1970 and three pumps are operated by direct current electric motors. Power for lighting and other functions was supplied by two inverted vertical compound steam engines driving dynamos by Lancashire Dynamo & Motor Co, also in the main hall. After electrification in 1970 one of the sets was preserved, but is not useable.
Engineering Time Lines. Web site
Metropolitan Water Board. 50 Years Review
Queen Mary Reservoir. Wikipedia. Web site
Posted by M at 12:59