Monday, 31 March 2014

North London Line - Gospel Oak

The North London Line (ex Hampstead Junction Railway) curves north west from Kentish Town West and runs westward from Gospel Oak Station

This posting represents only the north east corner of this square
Post to the west South End and Gospel Oak
Post to the east Gospel Oak


Post square to the west South End and South End and Gospel Oak and Belsize Park


Elaine Grove
The road contains some of the survivors of the 19th Lismore Circus estate scheme. It was then called Arthur Grove.
Estelle Road
This is built on land which was passed to the trustees of St Pancras Church Lands in 1876 by Earl Mansfield. House by 1889 the road was built up
Glenhurst Avenue
Arts and Crafts dwellings in two-storey terraces built 1911-15
Ravenswood is part of the 1960s Haddo House redevelopment.

Gordon House Road
Created on the line of a footpath to Hampstead. It is named after Gordon House Academy which stood at the junction with Highgate Road in the 18th.  It was widened and named only in the 1880s
Clanfield. Flats built in 1971with a sloping façade and raked balconies
32-34 Spectrum House. Large factory building.  In 2004 this was occupied by Hawkshead Retail and some others. It was built in the 1920s as the Heath Works for paper merchants D.O.Evans and Sons. It was later used by Southall based wallpaper manufacturers. John Line and Sons who in this period introduced flock wallpapers = as well as their famous ‘Hampstead’ designs. . Then in 1965 Soho based guitar and drum manufacturers, Rose-Morris.  At the entrance to the yard are two bollards and one has on it ‘George IV’.  There is a yard which goes to other works behind. The building is on site of Julius Barko’s nursery followed by William Thompson who was there until 1927.
Heathview.  Housing Co-operative in flats built in 1937 with green pantiled roof designed by Taperell and Haase.
14 Mark Fitzpatrick or Mortimer Terrace Nature Reserve. Managed by the London Wildlife Trust.  This is on what was a buffer zone between the Midland Railway coal depot and Gordon House Road, with a covenant on it to that end. Mark Fitzpatrick was a previous landowner. The site has varied habitats such as mini meadows and woodland. There is a pond with dipping platform and a rain catcher built by a local architecture students as part of their course and BCTV Green Gym work on the site
Gospel Oak entrance to Parliament Hill Fields. Plus car park entrance.
41 Shack Café. In the park entrance with interesting drawings on the walls
Railway bridges, Two brick skew arch bridges/, The most westerly is for the North London Line, built as the Hampstead Junction Line between Kentish Town West and Gospel Oak stations in 1867.  The eastern bridge is for the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway opened in 1888.  Graffiti by Mr. P and His art crew, known as Ahead of The Game 2003 by creating a piece across the railway bridge which said “ATG Welcomes You To Gospel Oak”
Gospel Oak Station. The station lies between Hampstead Heath and Kentish Town West on the North London Line and is the terminus for trains from Upper Holloway. The station opened in 1860 as Kentish Town on the Hampstead Junction Railway from Camden Road running to what was then Old Oak Common Junction. It was renamed Gospel Oak in 1867 when a different station to the south was named Kentish Town - now Kentish Town West. A different station with its own buildings existed for the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway  but this was not added until 1888, and then without a link to the North London Line due to opposition from other railway companies. The lines were joined for wartime reasons in 1916 and the link severed in 1922 and from 1926 to 1981, passengers could not change lines at this station - trains left the Barking line to go south to Kentish Town station. The buildings for the Barking line remained open until 1926, occasionally used by football special trains but were demolished by the 1980s when a spotters train called there. In 1981 the Barking trains were diverted to Gospel Oak with a terminal platform rebuilt on the north side and slightly higher than the existing station. The North London Line here was electrified in 1916 by the London and North West Railway changing to third rail in the 1970s.  The line is said to have been used by Midlands’s clerks on a day out to Epping.  The station was rebuilt in 1953.
Signal Box. A box on the line from Barking was burnt down in 1985 but replaced. A box on the North London line was opened by the London and North West railway in 1916 and closed in 1957.
Hemingway Close
Housing Association properties, Origin Housing, on the site of sidings and works.  The housing appears to be on the site of Gospel Oak Works, latterly in use by G.A.Shankland, metallic sign producers who left the site in the mid-1990s.
Highgate Road
Highgate enclosures. This consists of three landscaped areas which once formed part of a more extensive village green of Kentish Town. This was an area of common land gradually enclosed. It is shown as 'Green Street' on the Rocque map of 1746. When the Lissenden Gardens Estate was built the developer, Arthur William Armstrong, built a road and landscaped and planted the most northerly of the Enclosures. In the Second World War this area was the site of an air raid shelter consisting of a roofed over trench.
Parliament Hill Girls School. Built as a girls’ secondary school under the 1902 Education Act, a three storey building in red brick. It was developed on land previously occupied by detached 19th houses on the west side of Highgate Road known as The Grove.  It moved to this site in 1914 as a County Secondary School but had been founded elsewhere in 1900. It then had an entrance examination and a high reputation for arts and science; all girls were expected to get School Certificate. In 1956 an extension was opened by Edith Evans and a glazed front was added in 200


Hodes Row
Tiny backland development containing one house, built by Mr. Hodes

Julia Street
Along with other surrounding streets this is the remains of part of the street scape planned around Lismore Circus in the 1850s.

Lamble Street
Kiln Place Tenants Hall
Elizabeth II pillar box with ‘E ll R’ on the door plus a crown.

Lissenden Gardens
Built on the site of Clevedon House a 19th house which was next to the remains of Kentish Town’s village green. Lissenden is a made up estate agents name. Built from 1900 by the Armstrong family as fashionable living. Most of the road consists of mansion-block development of 1900-06 by Bohemer and Gibbs Arts and Crafts designs. There are three blocks of five-stories in orange-red brick, with corner towers. Railings of wrought iron and Doulton tiled lobbies and Terracotta details in the design. Running hot and cold water was laid on, electroliers supplied rather than gas lighting, a coals hoist to kitchen service balcony, and caretakers for communal stair-halls. There are plane trees in all of the estate’s roads. The Armstrong family continued to own and manage the estate until 1972, London Borough of Camden is now the freeholder.
Parliament Mansions. These overlook Parliament Hill Fields. There is a plaque to Richard Tawney ‘economic historian, Christian Socialist, and founding father of the welfare state’.  This was erected in 2003 by the Lissenden Garden Tenants Association.
Clevedon. Mansions . There is a plaque to composer Martin Shaw
Lissenden Mansions. Plaque to painter Anthony Green
Garden. This was laid out in 1899 and enclosed by railings to be gardeners employed by the Trustees of the Estate. Tennis courts may have been laid out as early as 1906.
Salcombe Lodge by Ted Levy and Partners built in  1974 a five storey block in red brick with concrete bands. This is on the site of a nursery which was replaced by Defoe Garage, and later replaced by Lissenden Motors. It was subsequently a factory for British Vacuum Flask Co. On the side is a plaque with a hand pointing to 'Church Lands' which is part of Parliament Hill Fields.
The British Vacuum Flask Co. Had been set up in 1947 by Rothermel, a Kilburn based electrical importer, with factories ere and in Liverpool. They were  able to use newly developer plastics and coatings for flasks of varying sizes and uses.
Chester Court. A five storey red brick block. This was built following bomb damage in the Second World War and as a result the south part of Parliament Hill Mansions were replaced in 1949
The cottage. This was the estate office and members of the Armstrong family lived there.
2 Nordorff Robbins Music Therapy Centre in a converted electricity substation.  Terracotta sculpture of a boy playing a drum.  The centre was founded by Paul Nordoff, an American composer and pianist and Clive Robbins, a special education teacher. Their first work was at Goldie Leigh Hospital in Plumstead set up in 1970 and the first centre was set up in 1982. In 1991the London Centre at Lissenden Gardens was setup  funded by a rock concert at Knebworth Park. The centre is validated by City University and award degrees in Music Therapy
6 Gordon House, Now a  business centre.

Mansfield Road
Created on the line of a footpath to Hampstead. The land was owned by the Earl Mansfield and was passed to the trustees of St Pancras Church Lands in 1876. House building started in 1879 and by 1882 the whole of the north side of Mansfield Road, including 10 shops completed..  The builder for the majority of the ‘Mansfield Road Estate’ was William Turner,
1 The Old Oak. A 1950s rebuilding of an original corner-sited building called the Old Oak Hotel which had been built as an integral part of the Oak Village estate in the 1850s. Closed
Gospel Oak Primary School. As the Mansfield Road Estate was developed by the St Pancras Church Lands trustees a school was seen as needed and in 1898 the School Board for London opened a temporary school on the site of the allotments next to Gospel Oak station. In 1900 they built a permanent school here, as Mansfield Road School’  Mansfield Road School became ‘Fleet Central School’ in 1933. In the Second World War the school was acting as a fire station and was completely destroyed by a flying bomb in 1944. Gospel Oak School was built in 1953 on the site, and a
17-79 long white range of houses, by former Camden architects Benson and Forsyth. With roof gardens. This is a mixture of public and private spaces, but have  not worn well. Built on the site of houses bombed in the Second World War ad subsequently demolished to be replaced by prefabs
Meru Close
Local authority housing on the site of Gospel Oak Brick works

Oak Village
Part of a mid 19th townscape centered on Lismore Circus later demolished for post war housing.  Houses here in were built by 1853. They are two story cottages with large timber framed sliding sash windows and wit small front gardens.

Parliament Hill Fields
The Southampton Estate wanted to put housing here in the 1840s but a big public campaign prevented that.  In 1889 Parliament Hill Fields were taken over by the Metropolitan Board of Works
Parliament Hill Lido. The baths were opened in 1938  by the London County Council designed by Harry Rowbotham and TL Smithson, There was a diving stage, shutes and a café, with areas for sunbathing and spectators and fountains at either end. This was the most expensive of LCC lidos built in the inter war period. Following an accident in 1976 the diving facilities were removed. In 1980s hot showers, cycle racks, paddling pool and CCTV were installed and in 1989 it was taken over by the Corporation of London. In 2005 a stainless steel pool lining was installed, the first of its kind for an outdoor pool in Britain. One of the few open-air swimming baths built by the LCC still in use.
Cricket ground
Adventure playground

Rona Road
On land was passed to the trustees of St Pancras Church Lands in 1876  by Earl Mansfield.. House by 1889 the road was built up
Savernake Road
On land was passed to the trustees of St Pancras Church Lands in 1876  by Earl Mansfield.. House by 1889 the road was built up
1-11 nursery school added in 1985 to Gospel Oak Primary School.

Sources
British History on line. Camden. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Camden History Review
Camden History Society. Streets of Kentish Town
Cinema Treasures. Web site
GLIAS  Newsletter,
Hillman. London Under London
Grace’s Guide. Web site
London Borough of Camden. Web site
London Gardens On line. Web site
London Lidos Web site
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Project Dirt. Web site
Rose Morris. Web site
Summerson. Georgian London
Tindall. The Fields Beneath

Saturday, 29 March 2014

North London Railway - Kentish Town

North London Railway
The North London Railway runs north from Kentish Town Junction

Post square to the west South End and South End and Gospel Oak and Belsize Park

This post covers only the south east corner of the square
Post to the north Gospel Oak


Arctic Street
Used to be Franklin Street, named after 19th builder
Carlton Chapel House, flats built 1983 designed by Christopher Dean Associates for the Tenants' Association.

Brown’s Lane
Where the cows from Brown’s Dairy in Camden grazed.

Carkers Lane
Highgate Studios. Studio spaces for a collection of arts and other organizations.
Read Brothers. In 1883 acquired an acre of land here and built an export bottling premises plus a laboratory. This was a crenallated building with a Gothic tower and a spire. They produced 50,000 bottles per week and in 1906 were the largest buyers and bottlers of Bass Ale in the world, all sold for export. By 1913 they had increased their land, and had stacking space for 10 million bottles, the largest bottling facility in London. They sold widely in Australia as ‘DOG’S HEAD ALE and STOUT’. There was a large advertisement for this on the roof line of the bottling store facing the railway along with "Read Brothers ....  Bottling Stores' in raised lettering. A siding ran into the works from the Midland Railway.
Shand Kyd Wallpaper factory moved here in 1906. Shand Kydd had been set up in 1891 making wallpaper with bold lino block designs and matching friezes. They were taken over in 1960 and moved to Christchurch.
International Orient Carpet Factory

Fortess Walk
Previously called Willow Walk.  It was a crescent  enclosing a paddock for horses

Fortess Road
Public toilets – now turned into a bar
9 Tally Ho Pub. Closed 2006 and replaced with flats.

Greenwood Place
This road was built in the 18th as Prospect Row.
Highgate Business Centre. Called Evandore house and one of Maples, the furniture company’s, works.  An imposing warehouse built 1880. This provides space for offices, light industry etc.
19 Lenshan House. This was originally Maples, furniture stores, timber yard and sawmill and then became their Exhibition works.  It was later the offices of the Family Policy studies Centre until 2001.
37 The Camden Society. This is a London wide organisation providing volunteering opportunities and support for people with disabilities
Centre for Independent Living. This is planned for the area for services including: Mental Health, Dementia, Learning Difficulty, Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties and Autism. In addition, a “Centre for Independent Living”
Greenwood Centre, currently providing space for a number of charities and similar organisations as well as a Camden Council day centre. It opened in 1973.
Deane House on the site of the Read Brothers bottling store. The store was built in 1885 and had turrets and battlements and its own railway siding.

Highgate Road
Very old road, until 1870 called Green Street and which follows the course of the Fleet. Very bad area for highwaymen in the 18th with lots of local vigilantes.  The High level interceptory sewer crosses near Kentish Town
1-7 a tall urban group of altered houses built 1786 by Thomas Greenwood and called Upper Craven Place.
7 until 1860 this was Craven House Girls School and then Foresters Hall for the Ancient Order of Foresters.
3 This was once the local Tory HQ. Carved face above the door.
9-17 Forum Cinema. Opened in 1934, the Kentish Town Forum Theatre’s architect was J. Stanley Beard and the interior design was by W.R. Bennett.  This consists of a series of Roman battle scenes said to be paid for by Mussolini so that Moseley and the British Union of Fascists could use it.  It was taken over in 1935 by Associated British Cinemas and re-named ABC in 1963.  It was closed in 1970 and became a bingo hall, then a ballroom and then a concert hall/theatre. It became called Forum again in 1993. It has Art Deco detailing by Beard & Bennett in cream faience, with black columns and lotus capitals and the auditorium has a coffered dome. There was a cafe in the space over the foyer.
19-37 Highgate Day Centre. This provides a service of psychodynamic and creative groups, individual keywork and social support for people with mental health issues. The houses here previously were by John Greenwood and on the north side ran the River Fleet.
20 Kentish Town Fire station. The Old Engine House stood south of here and a successor was built in Fortess Walk. The present station and practice tower replaced that. On this site was also a Methodist chapel dating from 1778. 
30a Piano Workshop in alley north of the Fire Station.  This was once an organ builder and piano key maker and was one of the few piano works left in the area. The business has now moved to Willesden from here in 2012 and the site is being redeveloped as housing.
Maple’s Steam Cabinet works were in the west side of the road. This was for Maple’s Furniture store in Tottenham Court Road.
39-51 Linton House. Early 20th industrial building built as Maple’s bed factory.  Post Second World War it was used by Canadian based, Dominion Rubber Co.  and later Norman Linton Gown makers from which it took its name. Currently light industry and offices.
Christ Apostolic Church. This was the church of St John built on the site of the Kentish Town Chapel by James Wyatt in 1783 but only some nave walls remain. It was rebuilt and extended in 1843-5 by J.H. Hakewill. In 1449 a chapel of ease had been built alongside the road to St Albans, now Highgate Road. This lasted for over 300 years but in 1784 it was demolished and replaced with the first version of the current church which was later rebuilt and dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In 1993 it was declared redundant and was squatted.  It is now a Nigerian evangelistic church.
Elsfield. Camden Council Housing designed by Bill Forrest in 1972. It replaced 1860s housing called Burghley Terrace. In this area Handeford Bridge crossed the Fleet River which also formed a pond.
54-56 Irish Centre Housing built in 1989 on the site of Bridge House.
58 Bridge House was a large pub demolished in 1988. It had once had gardens going to the Fleet. In the early 20th it was the John Apps Laundry and in the 1920s a rubber factory belonging to the Claudius Ash false teeth works.


Holmes Road
This was originally called Mansfield Place which was laid out by local landowner and industrialist Richard Holmes from 1790
5 This was the Petit Prince restaurant and the remains of murals of French cartoons are on the first floor wall. They used to project films onto the wall opposite
12a Kentish Town Police Station. Built in the 1890s designed by Norman Shaw. It was to be the Headquarters of Y Division.  The arch way took prisoners in to an area now redesigned as a control centre.
Section House for police accommodation built in the 1960s as an 8 storey slab block.
14 this was a factory for the London Piano Company who made self playing pianos and reed organ. Later, in the 1950s, it was the Camden Cardboard Box works who made wire stitched boxes. Now part of the police station.
Holmes Road School. This is currently the Lycee Francais de Londres. Which includes a nursery, as well as primary, and secondary school for 700 pupils. Holmes Road School was an early Board School built 1872 – 74 to the designs of E.R. Robson. In 1923 the school began to open for evening classes as a Community Centre for Education and also used for local clubs. By 1927 it includes the Junior Men's Institute for metalwork, boxing, hygiene and first aid. The school closed in 1931 and it became the Kentish Town Men's Institute, later the Kentish Town & East Hampstead Institute. In the Second World War it was used by Civil Defence, the RAF Volunteer Reserve and A.R. Training, as well as Home Guard Training and as a Rest Centre. Some of the building was used by Camden School for Girls who were still there in 1949. In the mid 1950s it became the Kentish Town & East Hampstead Institute and eventually the Kingsway College for Adult Education which closed in 2008.
Holmes Road Depot. Built in 1972 as the Council Depot on the site of the Midland Railway Coal Depot
Midland Railway bought land from Holmes in 1873 as their coal depot. Trains came from the north over a viaduct and stopped over the arch of a coal merchant, where coal could be dropped from wagons into his transport. The site included 40 stables and coal company offices. The original coaling stage was replaced by mechanical plant in 1939.   The depot closed in 1953 and became a British Road Services Depot.
Brick arches – part of the coal drops viaduct from the Midland Railway site remained here, used for storage and industry, until the 1980s
65-67 Magnet Kitchen Co. Offices. Previously site of their joinery
Arches – bricked up arches next to Magnet. These were part of a garage area used by the Birch bus company. The site was earlier a bronze powder factory.
57-59 housing and offices on site of Birch Bros. bus body building plant. Also used by W.Parkyn wheelwrights and carriage builders. It was also a service station for Beardmore Motors and a taxi depot
54-74 Charles Pugh windscreen manufactures.  This is their third site in the area, having started in Spring Place in the 1930s.
48-52 Maison Bertrand dealing in theatrical fabrics.
45 Entrance plus granite setts and a weighbridge. This was Grape Place in the 19h going to Paradise Row.  The buildings on site were used Bird and Davies, artists’ materials and previously Camden Council’s Sheltered Workshops and part of the hostel next door.  The site is now being developed for housing.
41-47 St Pancras hostel built 1895 as a casual ward by St Pancras Guardians. Inmates had to break rocks to be allowed to stay. – which is what the weighbridge at 45 was for.  It later became a London County Council working men’s hostel and is now run by Camden Council.
Bower Cottage was the superintendent’s house and in the 1930s used as St. Pancras North Relief Station and Dispensary by the London County Council.
24-26 Acquisitions - selling fireplaces and stuff
22 This was at one time a monumental mason
St Patrick’s Roman Catholic Primary School.  St. Patrick’s is one of the oldest Catholic schools in London.  It was founded in Soho in 1803 by Irish merchants in Frith Street as St. Patrick’s Charity School. By 1962 the school roll had fallen to 89 and a new Catholic primary school was needed in Kentish Town. So St. Patrick’s transferred here in 1967.  The school is a single storey building for two junior classes. A Nursery building was added in 2000, on the site of William Caldercourt’s cricket bat factory, subsequently Primrose Laundry, and a Music Room / Library in 2011. There are three spacious playgrounds, a school car park and quiet garden. Some of the site was originally a rag doll store, and 33 had been the Excelsior Welding Works.


Kentish Town Road
Junction of Kentish Town Road and Fortess Road is the centre of the old village, small-scale relics lie alongside late 19th suburban building.
305-315 site of developer Richard Holmes paddock and barn.  The housing was to front his development and called Mansfield Place
301-305 Iceland. On the site of the Alhambra cinema. The current shop was built in 1932 as Marks and Spencer and used by them until 1981. Part of the site was an 18th house and which was of Holmes estate
The Electric Alhambra Cinematograph Theatre opened in 1911. It included a tea-room with a separate entrance in Holmes Road. The architecture and interior were by M.Marsland. It in 1918 and became a billiard hall.  317-347 modern shop front in what was once terraced housing called York Place.  Shop conversions took place from the 1890s.
299 MacDonald’s. From 1923 to 1942 this was a Lyons Teashop. It was built in 1900 as a drapers shop by Herbert Beddell but has been refronted.
383-387 remains of New Chapel Place built in the 1790.
389 Bull and Gate, 18th pub.  Rebuilt 1871. Rebuilt in 1871, with marble pilastered ground floor and a bull and gate high on the frontage. Closed. It is said that the original name was Boulogne Gate and it relates to the capture of the town by Henry VIII in 1544. It is first noted in 1715. A cobbled yard once went to the LGOC stables and horse buses started here,
Jacques Samuels’s pianos store in old LGOC Stables.

Railway
North London Line – the line, as the Hampstead Junction Railway, ran north from Kentish Town West Station crossing the Midland Main Line north of what is now Regis Road.  There was a siding into the area now covered by the Regis Road industrial area.
The Midland Main Line goes westward through the area coming from Kentish Town Station.  Began to fan out into many sidings.  The main line itself continues on to the west.  Other lines continued from it as the Tottenham South Curve, the Tottenham North Curve, going to Highgate Road Station, to Tottenham and beyond.  Other sidings to the east of the rail complex went to a locomotive shed and a carriage and wagon repair shop.  Lines from both the main line and the Tottenham Lines also ran into sidings which serviced the coal depot and the Kentish Town Cattle Dock which stood alongside the main line, for cattle in transit waiting to be killed.
Tottenham South Curve opened in 1870 and was also known as the Highgate Incline. It left the Down Line at Kentish Town Junction, crossed the main line  and climbed to a gradient of 1:48 - some trains needing an additional engine to reach the summit
Tottenham North Curve linked Carlton Road and Junction Road for freight traffic and opened in 1883.
Kentish Town Curve opened in 1900 and ran from Engine Shed Junction and served a station then in Highgate Road. It was less steep than the Tottenham South Curve.
Sidings ran into Read's Bottling Stores
Engine Shed Junction Signal Box. This was between the main line and the Kentish Town Curve. Opened 1889 and closed 1981.
Cattle Dock Junction Signal Box. This controlled access to various sidings.  This opened in 1903 and was replaced in 1936 and closed in 1964.


Regis Road
This road covers the area of the extensive Midland Railway sidings and is largely Kentish Town Business Park.  This consists of many industrial and office locations.
Royal Mail Kentish Town Delivery office
United Parcels Services office built in 1984 as a depot for Whitbread’s Brewers.
Camden Recycling Centre
Camden Car Pound
Howdens Joinery
Alpha House built for Alpha Jewels Ltd.
Fairfax Meadow butchers
Asphaltic Ltd. Distribution centre.

Spring Place
Holmes family owned a brickworks and ropewalk here. They later sold the land to the Midland Railway who built arches here for the local coal depot
2 Autograph Sound Studio in part of Windsor and Newton’s Colour Works. They moved here in 1844 having got a royal warrant and having invented Chinese White. Colour her were ground by hand and spread out on stone slabs to dry. It later became a warehouse for an Italian grocery chain, Walton, Hassall and Port.
3-5 London Lorries were here pre-Second World War as motor body builders.  They were bombed and later General Roadways, lorry haulage took over the site,
8-9 Wall to Wall TV in what was Elliott Optical Co.
Spring House. Winsor and Newton’s steam powered works where they stayed until 1938. Now in other use.

Sources
British History on line. Camden. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Camden History Review
Camden History Society. Streets of Kentish Town
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Connor. Forgotten Stations
Connor. St.Pancras to Barking
GLIAS  Newsletter,
Hillman. London Under London
Kentish Towner. Blog site
London Borough of Camden. Web site
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Sidellgibson.blogspot
St Patrick’s School, web site
Summerson. Georgian London
Tindall. The Fields Beneath,

Wednesday, 19 March 2014

North London Railway - Kentish Town West


North London Railway
The line from Kentish Town Junction to Willesden goes north eastwards

Post to the north Kentish Town

Post to the south, north east corner of its square, Camden Town

This posting covers only the north east corner of this square Post to the south east corenr Camden Market


Fleet River
The Fleet flows southwards through this area deep underground in pipes

Alma Street
The street was laid out in 1855-56, commemorating the Battle of The River Alma, the first indecisive victory for the Allies in the Crimean War
8 owners who dug out their cellar are said to have discovered the River Fleet beneath their house

Anglers Lane,
Supposed to have been very beautiful where the Fleet River crossed and with the Jolly Anglers pub.
5-6a Mineral Teeth Manufacturers, Claudius Ash & Sons Ltd. former false-teeth factory. This is a brick three storey factory built in 1864s with some later additions. It has fifteen bays and a decorative gable.Ash had begun work as a goldsmith in 1820, in 1834 at Broad Street, Soho. He was making "mineral" teeth by 1840. Broad Street remained as offices and showroom and by 1914 the firm had branches in Moscow, Cairo, Toronto, New York and elsewhere. It later became The Dental Manufacturing Co Ltd. The factory had a chimney and a kiln which were since demolished. The building is now used for offices and light industry, having been for a while an electrical works.
24 Plaque on the wall about Boris, a local tom cat.
26 - the shop is ex-public toilets.
Bollard marked for St.Giles Board of Works

Athlone Street
Flats. Slums were demolished by St.Pancras Housing Society in 1937 and they built flats. They were opened by Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone and blocks were named after Lady Portland Mrs.J.B.Priestly and Leonard Day, and some society members.  They are now managed by Origin Housing – this is St.Pancras Housing Society plus some other similar organisations with which it has merged.
Athlone Hall. Tenants meeting rooms.

Azania Mews
The site is in an area which would have been on the east bank of the Fleet and kown as Tan Pill Field. This could have been the site of Richard Holmes 1805 tannery.
Housing managed by Arhag Housing Association set up to house African refugees.
Housing on the site of Royal Mail Yard which was a bus depot. 

Castle Mews
Trading units

Castle Place
Once a footpath going round the Castle pub, it is now a gated pathway into the Council estate. It was built on the site of a cow lair and then gardens for the house which had once belonged to Nelson's uncle. It was developed with housing, now gone, in the mid 19th

Castle Road,
Part of grounds of the Castle Pub the road is now mainly post war council housing. Some built in 1970, and some in 1958 by Max Lock and Partners. This was originally New Hampstead Road.
2 this has a strange little Gothic door and was the earliest house in the road built for the landlord of The Castle. Now part of the funeral business in Kentish Town Road.
77 Tapping the Admiral. This was previously the Trafalgar, and also Tavern Inn the Town.  The new name refers to the unsavoury habit of drinking brandy from Nelson’s coffin. In the 1980 it was the Fussock and Firkin.

Castlehaven Road,
Part of grounds of Castle Pub. Post war council housing some on a ‘forbidding’ scale 1958
83 Nelson Pub. Demolished and under housing block.

Cathcart Street
River Fleet runs down the road and the course can be traced in metal gratings.
20 This was a bus depot originally owned by Birch Bros. John Manley Birch was involved in the Camden Town Omnibus Association and opened premises in Cathcart Street. In 1887, he started a Royal Mail service between London and Brighton on contract to the Post Office. This resulted in the premises being called Royal Mail Yard. The Birch service was between Kings Cross and Rushden. They ran a regular service to the Wellingborough-Rushden boot and shoe area from here, using double-deckers in cream and green livery and there was also a taxi fleet.  Birch later built bus and coach bodies here.  The site was  built up in 1924 as a modern bus depot and took over the LGOC depot to the south. The business continued eventually as a coach hire firm. The coaching side of the business was retained, operating from the Kentish Town garage until 1971 when it was sold to the George Ewer Group.
33 huge entrance of a size to take a large bus.  There is a London and General Omnibus Co. depot marked on some maps here. It is assumed they were linked with the Birch operation next door.

Church Avenue
Gated passageway running to the Congregational Church at the rear. This was the approach to the church in 1848 and an original gate post and gates remain.

Crown Place
This once went through to Raglan Road. Until the 1930s the British Piano Manufacturing Co. was there. Also a 'carton pierre' works - French papiere mache stone.
Carr Bros Blacking Factory was here and the site later used as Maple's Furniture Store depository. In 1927 the building was taken over by St.Dunstan's, the charity for the blind. Here materials to be used in various of their works were purchased and distributed and then received back for sale. This closed in 1961.
Four hidden mews houses, each arranged around a small courtyard by the Crawford Partnership. This was originally called Crockers Place after a previous owner, and later called Strawberry Place.

Dalby Street
Talacre Sports Centre. The adjacent land was a cleared bomb site which was designated as pleasure grouds in 1962. In 1971 it was used by Inter Action and was later declared as open space. It was cleared of houses in 1974 and an adventure playground was opened there. Later the InterChange Studios was built and used for sport, arts and a club why a park was laid out round it. Camden Gymnastics Club began in the late 1980s and became successful in competitions and increasingly well known. The park meanwhile was improved with compensation money for power cable tunnel and renamed Talacre Gardens.  The Sports Council then part paid for a new Sports centre with modern facilities. It is now run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd.

Grafton Crescent
Laid out in the 1850s on a boundary of Bassett's brickfield
3 block of 1960s offices used by the Water Board until the 1990s.

Grafton Road
55 East Fleet House. Building in office use said to be a chapel built 1867 by Primitive Methodists and used by them until 1923. It then appears to have been used as an electrical substation, but by whom isn’t clear - said to be St.Pancras Borough. It has also been used as an engineering works and a warehouse for Abbey National.
61 print works which was once the Stanhope Press and at one time used by Scottish Fisheries.
73 The Carlton Pub. This is now flats
104-108 Star House. Industrial units and offices
110-114 Ann Roy. Art gallery
Brinsmead Piano Factory. Ryland House is now on part of the Factory site. John Brinsmead had begun piano manufacture in 1836 and became a leading maker. At its height the firm claimed to make one piano every hou and had a royal warrant.. The firm closed in 1919 following a strike. They were taken over by Cramers and the works became Dell's Confectionary factory. It was later bombed.

Grafton Yard
This was once called Grafton Mew until 1937. In the 1880s there was a wheelwright here, plus Sargeant and Petts bicycle works, Charles McVay Piano works. Later there was Charles Atto Dettmer and Sons, Piano string makers, John Smith Tozer who made covers for piano hammers, and Bi-Gum adhesives.

Hadley Street
Laid out on Bassetts brickyard in 1859.

Harmood Street
Called after family which owned the field it was built in. Some simple terraces remain.  Early development around Chalk Farm Road.
Forge Place
Mutton Place. Low, brick clusters of separate three- and four-storey houses and flats; 1980-1, with landscaping by Michael Brown Partnership.

Inkerman Road
The Crimea Pub. Built between 1855-1868. Closed, and it is now flats

Kelly Street
Part of grounds of Castle Pub in Kentish Town Road.  The junction with Kentish Town Road was the site of Gambee's Cottage
Congregational church. The original church dared from 1807 and was in Kentish Town Road but by the 1840s this was too small. The foundation stone of a new building on our present site. In 1927, the first chapel was sold and new halls were built at the rear of the new chapel but the church declined and by the 1950s the attendance was just twenty one people. The old chapel had been bombed and was demolished, and services were held in the church hall. In 1960 a prefabricated building was erected and services were held in this until 1990. In 1990 the site was redeveloped in co-operation with a local housing association and new premises were opened in June 1991


Kentish Town Road
The road was once known as Great Green Street.
Chestnut Row - at the Rochester Road junction. Two chestnut trees here were said to have been planted by Emma Hamilton. They were growing through the pavement and pulled up in 1964.
Rochester Hall School. here in  19th.
119-131 Providence Place – in the early 19th this was the name of the houses  between what was then Clarence Road (now Clarence Way) to Castle Road. 119-128 are early 19th or earlier. 129-133 are probably 18th and 133 has a bricked up window.
St.Andrew's Greek Orthodox Church. Previously St.Barnabas Church of England church built 1884-5 by Ewan Christian in brick. It was made redundant in 1956 and has since become Greek Orthodox, so the building has been refurbished to reflect the Greek Orthodox Church. All internal walls and ceilings have been decorated by a master iconographer from Athens, with biblical scenes and representations of prophets, saints and martyrs in the traditional Byzantine style. These works began under the supervision of Archimandrite Chrysostomos Mavroyannopoulos
124 Abbey Tavern. The Abbey Tavern with a beer garden which was once a yard for horses. It has striped brickwork and has been open in its current manifestation since 2004. It was built in 1861 and was called The Albany.
126- 150. This row of shops includes the site of Bartholomew Place and Belle Vue House.  The land was owned by St.Bartholomew’s Priory.  18th Antiquarian William Stukeley's house was here and he had piped water and a Druid Walk.  He had bought a 'hermitage' in Kentish Town.  It is also where Mary Shelley lives after Percy Shelley’s death.
(remaining part of the west side of the road is in an adjacent square)
133 Site of an old house. Shops and a café have been built in what was the garden.
141-145 South Kentish Town Station now in use as a shop. Opened in 1907 on Yerkes’ Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway. Yerkes. It was originally going to be called Castle Road Station. It is in the Leslie Green house style with ox-blood glazed tiles and bold arches incorporating a mezzanine office floor.  The ground floor originally housed the booking office and upper lift landing whilst a mezzanine floor contained the lift winding gear. The façade is still intact but in bad condition.  The station was closed during a labour strike at the Underground Group's Lots Road power station in 1924 and was never reopened. The platforms were used during World War II as air-raid shelters and are now removed.
147 The Castle – Called the Castle until 2002 and since then called the Flowerpot, the Bullet Bar, and the Verge and more recently Heroes.  It was built in 1849 as replacement for the original Castle dating at least to the 17th - it is recorded in 1651, and possibly the 16th as a hunting lodge. It is said to have has a tiled mural in one an entrance showing jousting knights. This was captioned 'Beneath the castle walls the lists/names are set where Knighthood Chivalry and Beauty met’.  The gardens of the old Castle Inn stretched around the area as far as the River Fleet to the south and there were games and teas in the gardens.   There is a story that after the death of Admiral Nelson, Emma Hamilton lived locally and came here Nelson’s uncle had lived near here and he is said to visited to ‘keep an eye on the Fleet’.
157 part of this site was a house which may have been where Emma lived after Nelson's death.
163-177 Hawley Place built on the site of Clarke's Farm in 1848
177 Telephone Exchange.  This is for what was the Gulliver Exchange and  also the site of the Post Office and sorting office. The building currently used as a coffee shown was built by Archibald Scott in 1929 and closed as a post office in 1959.  It was once the site of the village pound.
187 Pizza Express. This was one of the buildings of the educational institution, latterly the North London Polytechnic, the main part of which is in Prince of Wales Road.  It is said to have housed the library and the student union bar and/or the assembly hall/gym. The polytechnic specialised in library studies and this library was said to be ‘magnificent’.  It was designed in 1929 by Riley and Glanfield but was however built separately from the rest. Now closed pending redevelopment.
197 Gaumont Cinema. This was originally The Palace Cinema designed by John Stanley Beard. It opened in 1913 but became an army recruiting station in the Great War.. It has decorative front entrance, with terra-cotta detail and in the auditorium was with columns topped by naked female figures. It was operated by Palatial Cinemas Ltd, and taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT) in 1920. In 1929 PCT were taken over by Gaumont British Cinemas and it was re-named Gaumont in 1948. It closed in April 1959 and has been part demolished with a warehouse on the site. The remaining building is used by as offices. Previously on the site was Salmon and Glickstein, claiming to be the largest tobacconist in the world and the founders of the Lyons teashop chain.
207-209 Chapel. This is the site of the second Kentish Town Chapel built in 1456 on land given by the Grocers Company. It replaced an earlier chapel traditionally was founded by the Cantelupe Brothers in the 13th and was dedicated to St.John the Baptist.  The site is not known. The second chapel was demolished as a dangerous structure in the 1780s.
213-223 Blustons. drapers shops in an arcade shop front, once common, but now very rare. The shop front dates from  1931 and is in Vitrolite with three-dimensional lettering and extensive glazing. It has Art Deco sunbursts, neo-classical mouldings and Moderne materials.  The shop had previously been a pawnbroker.
Farmhouse - this dated from 1784 and was the other side of a lane by Old Chapel House. Replaced by houses
Old Chapel House. This was an 18th house used as a school in the 19th and later converted into shops.
227 Nandos. This was the Jolly Anglers Pub, mentioned in 1725 as The Compleat Angler. On the lower half of the frontage are bottle green tiles with a series of shields with a motif of "RB" - this could refer to Reid's Brewery since it was latterly a Watney, Coombe, Reid house.
Anglers Lane junction. This junction was formed in 1881, previously the lane was entered via a passageway under a house.
233 conversion of a double fronted house with the original address of 3 Old Chapel Place
259-263 Solicitors office in the buildings of the Green Dragon, licenced from 1751.  It later became the Kings Arms in 1785 and closed in 1969.
277 Vicarage Farm Dairy Ltd. this is now the site of Old Dairy Mews. This included bottling plant and a distribution yard. They were later taken over by Express dairies. It had been the site of the Kentish Town vicarage until 1845.
281 Dawson and Briant. Pawnbroker. Shop with flat above built 1840 in brick. On the ground floor is a 19th shop front having large gilded lettering. Projecting cast-iron clock and pawnbroker's sign. Inside are display cabinets with glazed wall-mounted cupboards and a Lincrusta ceiling
289 -291 O’Reilly. This was The Old Farm House of 1869 rebuilt in 1885 and at one time also called the Star and Garter owned by Hoare and Co of the Red Lion Brewery, East Smithfield.  It was renamed O'Reilly in 1885. On the fascia is 'TOBY ALE' in raised lettering. High on the wall is a carved head and some information.
Tollhouse. Near O'Reilleys was the site of a wooden tollhouse in a part of the road then known as Old Chapel Row which was here until 1864. There was a toll gate here and from 1855 a barrier on Holmes Road.

Perren Street
1a Hercules Works. site of Frederick Jones & Co who made slag wool.
Toledo Steel Works - they made bicycles here in the 1880s.
Imperial works – a five storey industrial building used by a variety of light industries and offices – as it appears to have done since the 1920s. These have included in the past an British Reeds - an organ reed manufacturer and lighting engineers. It was once part of the Brinsmead Piano Works. and then became the Imperial Organ and Piano Co. still on site in 1965. 

Prince of Wales Road
Main west east route. As part of the Southampton Estate it retains some of its 19th character.
1. The North Western Polytechnic was opened by The Prince of Wales in 1929 and taught social sciences, humanities and arts. It was used as Headquarters for Group 7 of Local Authorities in the Second World War.  The H.G. Wells Society worked with the Polytechnic to establish an H.G. Wells Centre here. By 1967, it was the largest Polytechnic in London. It combined with the Northern Polytechnic to form the Polytechnic of North London. It later became the London Metropolitan University, and was sold off.  One entrance had 'Women's Entrance' above it.
Hope Chapel, dated 1871. This is now the Church of Christ. It derives from a church begun in Hatton Garden in 1837.
K2 telephone kiosk.
Una House -large complex of local authority flats. In the 1870s part of the site was an Irvingite church later becoming a mission hall and a hall for St. Bartholomew's Church. In 1905 St.Pancras Council bought the site for a Carnegie Library, but the council's control changed and the site was left derelict. Una House was built by the council in 1922.
Baths.  The foundation stone was laid in 1900. On the façade are, Saint Pancras and Saint George- when the baths were built, the area was part of the Vestry of St Pancras.  It was designed by J. Aldwinckle and it originally had separate first and second class men's baths and a women's baths, 129 slipper baths along with a public hall.  There was also a public washhouse and a gymnasium. It has now been updated as Kentish Town Sports Centre and run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd.
River Fleet the Fleet crossed the road
Kentish Town West Station.  Opened in 1867 it lies between Camden Road and Gospel Oak on the North London Line now part of London Overground. It opened as 'Kentish Town’ and in 1924 was renamed ‘Kentish Town West’. In 1971 it was burnt down and closed in 1976 but reopened in 1981
7 Garden Cinema this was almost opposite St. Pancras Baths and Public Hall. It was an ‘open air’ cinema, operating during July and August each year until 1913. The Polytechnic was built on the site,
20 Grafton Arms
26 Brandon Centre. London Youth Advisory Centre which was previously S.Pancras Schools Treatment Centre.
40 Asylum for Aged Governesses built in 1849 by Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon. Altered and enlarged 1877-9 for Camden School for Girls, by EC Robins. In 1870 they were driven out by the railway and became part of Miss Buss's North London Collegiate School.  This was the school started by Miss Buss and on the weathervane of the building is a small 'buss' - a replica fishing boat.  There are wrought iron gates with 'GI' for Governesses Institution. Then the site became Camden School for Girls and the St.Richard of Chichester's RC School. Later it was a training site for hotel workers, and now it is flats.
53-55 Buildings once part of the station. Now used by timber merchants, Buttles, established 1919
75 Prince of Wales Pub. Closed and turned into flats

Raglan Road
One of several roads in the area with names relating to the Crimean War.
Raglan House.  Camden NHS centre for elderly with mental problems which dates from 1973. This is on the site of the St.Pancras Maternity and Child Welfare Centre and was later a London County Council welfare centre until the early 1960s.
Garages on the site of Redan Pub - another name associated with the Crimean War.
Raglan Estate. Camden Council Estate which includes Monmouth House, a 1960s 13 storey tower block and Alpha Court. There is also a concrete slab sculpture.

Royal College Street
Dunn's hat factory at the junction with Kentish Town Road. The ground floor had detailed 1930s windows with stained glass. This is now an estate agents. Dunn's, clothiers and hatters, were here 1895-1984. The building was their central depot distributing items to over 100 branch shops.

Ryland Road
Built on the site of the Governesess' Institution garden. The northern end was the site of Ansell's Nursery.
Ryland House. Brick warehouse on the site of the piano factory, now refurbished for mixed use,
Portland House Delbanco Meyer and Co. Linen wholesalers but originally bristle manufacturers. It was originally part of the Brinsmead Piano Works. Also called Freedex House.
37 Kentish Town Day Nursery in some of the old Institution buildings.

Spring Place
Named for springs which fed into the Fleet and which supplied a brewery here. This, along with a ropewalk was part of Richard Holmes estate.

Wilkin Street
Piano factory - In 1967, Delbanco Meyer and Company Ltd moved in. they dated from 1936 and became the largest bristle merchants in the world. The company has since expanded into household textiles
2 Old chapel. The old chapel and Sunday school for the Methodist chapel.

Willes Road
17 rear extension demolished to create light space.  Glass doors, zinc roof and concrete work tops added to Victorian house.
76 George IV. Foliage covered pub dating from the early 1870s and a rebuild of an earlier pub with the same name on the other side of the road.
72 site of the works of William James who made ornamental glass for pubs.


Sources
Aldous, London Villages
Allinson and Thornton. London’s contemporary architecture
Barton. London’s Lost Rivers
Brewery History Society. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
British Post Office Architects. Web site
Camden History Review

Camden History Society. Streets of Camden Town
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor.  Forgotten stations
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
Hillman. London Under London
Kentish Towner. Blog site
London Borough of Camden. Web site
Lucas. London
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Robins. The North London Railway
Savetalacre. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Tindall. The Fields Beneath
Wilson. London's Industrial Archaeology

Sunday, 16 March 2014

North London Railway - Camden Market

North London Line
The line from Dalston Junction continues westwards but then bifurcates, one going westwards to Primrose Hill and one turning North West to Kentish Town West.
Fleet River
The Fleet River and a tributary to it, meet and flow southwards deep underground in pipes.
TQ 28827 84304

Busy inner city area around the Regent's Canal around tacky Camden Market and its even tackier outskirts mainly in disused canal and railway infrastructure buildings.  People live here too! and there is much local authority housing as well as nearly posh housing. Many old industrial buildings, pubs and much else - the whole world is here somewhere.

Post to the south Camden Town

Post to the east Camden Town

This posting covers only the south east corner of this square. the north east section is
Post to the north Kentish Town West



Buck Street
Buck Street Market – 200 or so stalls in an open space to the south of the street and stalls sell mainly clothes.  It stands on the site of properties destroyed in the Second World War.  It is said to have a nickname, 'The Cages', from the metal grilles that make up the grids tightly packed stalls in a uniform layout
Brick structure - this contains a ventilation shaft and entrance that is the visible part of a deep air-raid shelter built for the Ministry of Works by London Underground between 1940 and 1942. It consists of two long, deep tunnels, running either side or parallel to Camden High Street, joined by cross-tunnels and with a main entrance in Stanmore Place. These tunnels are now used for storage.
Trinity United Reform Church. There has been an Ebenezer chapel on this site since 1835 started by a Thomas Gittens.  In 1869 William Ewart from Regent Square Presbyterian Church set up a church for railway builders in railway arches and began to use the chapel.  By 1908 the building was in disrepair and George Lethbridge, architect, and was asked to draw up plans for a new church. Thereafter the building was used for many purposes and the congregation were active in local social and community work and this continues. The building is neo-Gothic with a red brick front. The inside has been changed with subdivision of larger spaces into individual smaller areas.
Hawley Infants School. The current school building dates from the Late 19th. The current building is the remaining part of a formerly larger complex of buildings between Buck Street and Hawley Crescent fronting Kentish Town Road.

Camden Gardens
Flats. This is a group of affordable rented homes made up of flats and maisonettes and a canal side terrace of houses and flats. The architects were Jestico and Whiles who were commissioned by Community Housing.
Camden Gardens. This is a triangular garden crossed by the North London Railway Line on brick arches. It was and laid out in the 19th for the people in the neighbourhood and it is still managed by a local committee. Building on it is prohibited by Act of Parliament.


Camden High Street
This is part of the Hampstead Road, an ancient thoroughfare which led the road from London through the Duke of Bedford's and Lord Southampton’s estates. After the construction of the Regent’s Canal here from 1816, businesses were established in along the Hampstead Road, immediately above and below the Lock. Today this stretch of the street is a market related area with shops decorated with endless lurid signs and protuberances and selling vulgar tat to provincial teenagers and innocent tourists.
202 Buck's Head pub. Mid 19th pub. Stone frontage with pilasters with brackets in the shape of bucks’ heads. The 19th street numbering remains above the former corner entrance. There is a large tiled sign on the end wall with lettering and a Truman 'eagle' saying 'TRADE MARK ... TRUMAN ... HANBURY ... BUXTON ... & Co Ltd ... LONDON & BURTON'. All
224 Elephant's Head pub. Mid 19th century pub with tiled shop front. At a high-level is a sign: 'TAKE COURAGE'. The Elephant name was the trademark of the nearby Camden Brewery
265 Oxford Arms. Late 19th pub. There are pictorial tiles in the entrance with the motto Virtute et Fide printed on them.  The Etcetera Theatre is in the upstairs area
Hampstead Road Canal Bridge. Marks the junction between this and Chalk Farm Road.


Camden Lock Place
This dates from 1990 when the market was reconfigured but has replaced Commercial Place.
Gilgamesh Building. On the site of Bottle Stores built for Giblet in 1878.  It has four storeys for washing, crating and packing. It later became a furniture store and was burnt down in 1980
Depot. The London and North West Railway bought Semple’s Wharf for a transhipment depot in 1847
Hawley Basin. Enlarged by London and North West Railway in 1847. It was then connected by rail and arrangements made to bring wagons down to its level and later into the interchange warehouse. In 1854-6the railway was extended to beyond the east side of the Interchange Basin.
Interchange Basin. Dock built London and North West Railway 60 ft long.  The inlet to it goes under the interchange warehouse. It was rebuilt in 1854 on a different alignment and increased in size.  There war warehouses on the west bank and rail sidings on the west.   This is the basin which remains.
Alsopps Warehouse. This was on the west side of the interchange basin and built in the 1850s. The site had previously been coke ovens.
Interchange Warehouse. This was built on the site of an earlier warehouse and has the canal inlet running under the building from under the towpath bridge and Rail way also entered the warehouse from sidings. The current building was completed by 1905. Underneath it the dock was bridged over with girders supporting railway track while barges were accessed through trapdoors. The Warehouse was converted to offices and refurbished in the late 1980s and connected to Camden Lock Place by the creation of steps through the retaining wall. In 2007 it was further restored. It is a rectangular four storey block, plus the basement dock, in multi-coloured stock brick with blue engineering brick dressings. On the canal front are arches which would have enclosed the ends of railway tracks and platforms.  Inside is of brick fireproof construction and in the basement cast-iron columns are set in the water supporting beams. Under the forecourt was a gin store with steel doors.  It was once used by 'Worldwide Television News' and on the door was said to be a notice warning of Weil's disease
Tunnel. From the corner of the interchange warehouse a ventilated tunnel for the movement of horses connected it to the railway at Primrose Hill and the stabling at Chalk Farm Road which is now blocked. It is in brick with cast-iron ventilation grilles in the roof.  The branch from 'Fashion Flow' to the ‘Transfer Warehouse’ goes under a Housing Association development and has been sealed and back-filled. That from the 'Transfer Warehouse' to ‘Camden Lock’ market has had a blocking wall inserted.


Camden Market
In 1971 some of the unused industrial buildings and land, including T.E.Dingwall's timber yard, were leased from British Waterways Board by three young men and in 1972 were sub- as craft workshops, and a weekend market was started on open yards nearby. Sunday trading was also allowed on this private site. In 1990 many of the old buildings at the Lock were renovated and a new three storey Market Hall was next to the main road. The East, Middle and West Yards and Camden Lock Place remained open air areas.
Market Hall. The design was based on a 19th trading hall with wrought iron railings and tiled floors so visitors would think it was old.


Camden Town Goods Depot
Camden Goods Depot was established in 1839 on Lord Southampton’s land as the terminus for goods trains, hoping for the railway to the docks via the North London Line.  As it was the line didn’t come through to Chalk Farm until 1851 beginning with coal and general goods a month or so later. This square covers only a part the south eastern quarter of the huge railway yard – the Primrose Hill layout - and about half of the canal side area. The area of lines going into a covered area to the north west of the Interchange building was laid out as the Depot opened and reconfigured with electrification in 1922. The area was sandwiched between lines out of Euston on the west, by the North London Line on the east and the canal on the west. The area is now a supermarket with a vast car park plus some housing.
Morrison’s Car park. Below the Camden Town railway goods yard was a labyrinth of brick vaults, allowing direct goods interchange between road and canal. The horses used to move wagons and for shunting, were stabled on both sides of the yard.


Canal
Canal. Four men were killed during the building of this stretch when the embankment collapsed at Chalk Farm.  It cost as much to build it as the original money raised for the whole canal.
Pirate castle. This was the conversion of a lock cottage built in 1977 to the design of Sir Richard Seifert as a mock fortress to be the headquarters of the Pirate Club, founded by Lord St. David’s. It is open to young people as a canoeing and rowing centre. It also includes a youth theatre and other facilities.
Pumping station.  This was built on the south bank in 1980 by the Central Electricity Generating Board. It circulates water around the cables which run under the towpath to keep them cool. The building is in the same style of the Pirate Castle opposite. Electricity cables have been laid under the towpath to bring power to central London from generating stations on the Thames Estuary and pumping stations like this one circulate water round the cables to keep them cool.
Ice Well Wharf. This was adjacent to a basin let off the south bank which is now filled in. The building fronted onto 34/36 Jamestown Road. There were two ice wells here – the larger built in 1839 when the basin was occupied by William Leftwich. It was deepened in 1846 to 100 feet to hold about 2,400 tons of ice. In the 1820s Leftwich had began to import ice from Norway, bringing it by sea to Limehouse and along the Canal.
Bewley Cliff Wharf. This was adjacent to a basin let off the south bank which is now filled in. it appears to have been used in the mid 19th by a company bringing in lime for building purposes from works at Wouldham in Kent via the Medway,
North Western Stone wharf. This also was adjacent to a basin letting out from the south side of the canal which is now filled in.  It was later part of a bigger Suffolk wharf
Bridge over the entrance to the basin which lies under the Interchange Warehouse - this was built by the London and North West Railway in 1846. The Towpath this crosses it. It is said that locally is called Dead Dog Hole.
Vent openings in the wall of the Interchange Warehouse alongside the towpath to ventilate the underground vaults built in 1854-6.
Grooves – in brickwork made by tow ropes, etc wearing onto the bricks
Dingwalls. Dingwall's Market is sited on a filled in basin. A collection of 19th commercial buildings are grouped round two yards with granite setts. These buildings were used as warehousing and stables for canal boat horses. One building has been demolished following a fire in 1980.  This was Walkers Wharf. The buildings were leased after the Second World War to a firm of packing-case manufacturers, T. E. Dingwall Ltd. The site includes a 500 capacity venue which hosts music gigs and other events. It is claimed that this has been used for this purpose since 1972.
London Waterbus. This runs between here and Little Venice, with three historic boats
Roving or diagonal bridge. This footbridge built in 1846 with a span of eighty feet to take the towing path across to the right-hand side of the locks. It has setts in order to give the horses a good grip underfoot and under it are grooves where ropes have worn the brickwork. A plaque under the bridge explains the details of its construction
Winch. The winch alongside the basin dates from 1870-71.  It was moved here from Limehouse Barge lock where it was used for opening the lock gates and abandoned in 1968. It is said it was brought here at the instigation of a number of GLIAS members.
Stables. These were for horses used to tow barges. Now demolished
Hampstead Road top lock.  The locks were constructed between 1818 and 1820 by James Morgan with John Nash as supervising engineer. It is the first of twelve locks on the Regent's Canal which drop the level some eighty-six feet down to Limehouse Basin - the exact drop depends on the height of the tide at Limehouse. Like other locks on this Canal, it was built as a double lock, but this is the only one remaining now as a pair. A column carries a rack and pinion on the centre island between the locks, was used to operate the paddle, which allowed water to flow from one lock to the other in order to conserve water. The paddle gear for the locks themselves is the conventional Grand Junction Canal type. These locks replaced an innovative, but unsuccessful, hydropneumatic lock designed by William Congreve in an attempt to conserve water.
Sculpture - a large cut-steel sculpture by English artist Edward Dutkiewicz in the square beside the lock
Camden Lock Cottage. The Lock Keepers Cottage for Hampstead Road Locks. Originally built in 1815 and enlarged in 1972, it was converted in 1985/6 as a Regent's Canal Information Centre. It has since been taken over by a large coffee shop chain and a dispute has arisen as the information centre work.   Camden was the middle of three horse-changing stages between Limehouse and Paddington and thus facilities were provided.
Bridge wharf and basin. This was used transfer of bricks, etc. In the early 20th it was owned by the London and Provincial Ballast Co. Ltd.
Chalk Farm Road Bridge. This was built in brick in 1815 but the current iron bridge dates from 1876. The Keystone of the original bridge is in the brickwork near the bottom of the slope. At the corner of the bridge next to the towpath is a vertical iron roller, which prevented the ropes from cutting grooves in the stonework. Under the bridge are cut the names of Parish Officers who dealt with roads and bridges.
Jenny Wren cruises. Canal boat company running cruises down to Little Venice and back. Based at what was Walkers Purfleet Wharf which had opened in 1816. The facility was opened in 1969 by Sir Alan Herbert.
Canal side walls of the MTV building plus TV AM’s egg cups, fronting on to Hawley Crescent.
Hawley Lock.  Like the other locks between here and Limehouse, the second chamber has been converted into a weir.  
River Fleet. The two branches of the Upper Fleet are said to join north of the lock and the canal then follows the route of the river until it reaches Camden Road.
Kentish Town Lock. Beside it on the left was once a pumping station which pumped water back past the "Hampstead Road 3", as they were called by boatmen, to above Hampstead Road Top Lock
Kentish Town Road Bridge. This is a white bridge and there is access to the canal by steps.


Castlehaven Road
The road was renamed around the time of the Second World War from a name taken at random from  a gravestone at St.Pancras Old Church. From Chalk Farm Road to Hawley Road was once Grange Road, and the rest Victoria Road
Candida Court.  Monumental local authority flats by Hamilton and Chalmers in 1947 and has one of the names connected to Bernard Shaw's plays, along with some other flats in the area. Its wings are named after places in Devon.   The Fleet flows under the green in front of it.
21 Castlehaven Community Association. This was established in 1985 by concerned residents and opened for business in 1986. It is now the lessees of a 4 acre community campus
23 Haven Youth Cafe.  This was the Old Piano Warehouse where the Castlehaven Community Centre began.
Castlehaven Open Space.  Ball courts and strip of open land. This was a bomb site, empty for many years and used by travellers. It was improved as a sports area in 2003.
20 Scar. The premises include arches 12 to 14 and have hosted a creative industry incubator since the 1990s.  There is a workshop for wrought iron.
Rail bridge. There are two rail bridges taking the two lines which diverge at Kentish Town Junction. To the south is the 1851 line to what was Hampstead Road and to the north the 1860 line to Old Oak Junction.
Hawley Arms. 19th pub once a hells angel hangs out but more recently full of left field show biz people. Burnt down inn 2008 and rebuilt sharpish.


Chalk Farm Road
Pancras Vale was an older name of this area. There are lots of claims for the site of the original Chalk Farm.
Railway bridge painted with a 'trompe l'oeil' image which has since become an icon for Camden Lock.  In 2007 25 arches were changed as part of developments in Stables Yard. At the same time they were shortened from the south and the cross arches were closed to create linear retail outlets.
7-8 Caernarvon Castle Pub. Demolished.
36 -37 are the premises of pawnbrokers, who were established here in 1837
35 Camden Lock Tavern. 19th pub tarted up as a music venue.
Brick wall on the west side –developments here were gradually removed after the railway arrived to be replaced by the stables behind this blank wall. It was built in 1854-6 to retain the fill deposited to raise the level of the Camden Goods Depot. There were houses here until the 1850s in what was called Pancras Vale. R.B. Dockray, who designed the Round House, lived in one of them.
Four blocks of brick stabling, built 1855-1870 as part of the London and North-Western Railway Company's Camden Goods Yard with later additions. A tunnel south of the railway connects the complex with other railway buildings and the Canal.  19th railway goods depots required large numbers of horses for the transfer of goods and shunting of wagons and, around 700-800 horses were used at the here. Stabling for 50 horses was in the vaults below the sidings. Only a small part of the first phase of 1839 survives under the North London Railway at what is now the Horse Tunnel Market. Some of the vaults built under the original goods sidings can be seen at the far end of the easternmost  arches and in the shops on the west side of the bridge under the railway which that connects Horse Tunnel and Stables Markets. Part of the buttress walls can be seen in the northern part of Horse Tunnel Market. By 1849 427 horses were employed here. In 1846-7 four stable blocks for 168 horses, were built and others were stabled below the Construction Shop and Pickford’s warehouse. In 1854-6 the original stables were demolished and the present buildings erected. The four blocks stabled 162 horses and was linked to the rest of the depot by the Eastern Horse Tunnel.
Block on Chalk Farm Road built 1855 and 1895. There was stabling on the ground floor and there is an open balcony on the first floor with concrete horse troughs and a bridge going to the next block.
Block north of the North London railway. The ground floor built 1868 was the provender store. There is a bridge to the other block
Blocks between the others, built 1868 and also a provender store. There is a horse ramp on the north side connecting to another block.
Block to the west of the others. Built 1868, upper with brick chimneys. Inside is timber benching and some harness hooks and said to have been the Tack Room. It used to be connected by a bridge to the others.
Horse Hospital. This is built to the north-west of the stables in 1882-3. It held 92 horses with 40 more later. It is now shops with a music venue on the upper floor.
Bonded Warehouse. Remains of a four-storey building built on the 1880s for Gilbey's. This was their No.2. bond and was mostly demolished in 1985 apart from a small section called The Gin House.


Clarence Way
Built on part of the grounds of the Castle Pub it was laid out in 1837 as Clarence Road.. The east end has some massive post war council blocks which replacing 19th streets. This was built 1947 by Hamilton and Chalmers. To the west are terraces which are pre 1849.  The street lighting is gas standards converted to electricity.
Most Holy Trinity Church. The design for was exhibited in the Royal Academy, by Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon. It was built 1849-50 of Kentish ragstone and had a west tower with spire. It largely funded by Rev David Laing. The spire was destroyed during World War II.
Holy Trinity and St Silas Primary School. The origins of the school lie with the local church with which it is still associated.
41 Victory 19th public house where the barmaid was murdered in 1880. Closed in 1993 and now flats.
Ellen Terry Court - named after the actress associated with Shaw
Lorraine Court.  Built by St. Pancras Council in 1952. Built on the site of Clarence Grove which had become a very poor area when CPOed after the Second World War.
Torbay Court - the centrepiece of the Clarence Way Estate designed in 1947 by Hamilton and Chambers


Collard Place
Posh, gated, housing on the site of Chalk Farm bus depot.

Farrier Street
The road was renamed in 1961 and had previously been part of Clarence Way
Clusters of brick houses and flats; built 1980-1 by Michael Brown Partnership.

Gilbeys Yard
Site of Gilbey's Gin Bottling plant and Warehouse which extended from the edge of the canal basin and then along the main canal.  Now flats and houses.


Harmood Grove
Modern innovative office complex with sculpture of windblown person on the wall. Gates and fence by Alex Relph
Carville. Harmood Grove Works. The firm who are, specialists in Perspex and acrylic applications had a factory here from 1928-1966 when they moved to Dorking.


Harmood Street
Called after the family which owned the field it was built in.
1-2 Mohawk Garage.  In 1922 this was the base of the Mohawk Motor Cab Co.  and then, in 1923, a private bus company.  Originally it had been a coach building works for C.Dodson and then a garage. Demolished.
59 Harmood Arms. Now closed and converted to housing.
Chalk Farm bus garage. This opened in 1916 a previous site in Albany Street having been requisitioned by the War Department. Closed in 1993. The site is now housing – gated housing behind a terrace with ‘AJ 1995’ on the gable.
Chalcot School. The buildings date from 1896 and has been extended since. It was originally Harmood Street School, then Harmood Street Boys Secondary.  It was renamed as Chalcot School in the 1960s and is currently school a special school for secondary boys. The original stone ‘Girls’ entrance remains.


Hartland Road
Camden Plants Centre
57 Royal Exchange Pub, Renamed as "Fake Club" in 2007, and as "1949 Bar" in c2012.
The Arches. Network Rail industrial units in railway arches


Haven Street
Camden Canal Market. Offices manage about 150 stalls and shop units selling fashion accessories, etc
Passage under the railway to canal side markets
Murals and street art by Dale Grimshaw
Lion – bronze lion in the street, surrounded by lion designs in street art
Car – street art car.


Hawley Crescent
TV-am Breakfast Television Centre. This was designed by Terry Farrell in 1981 on the site of 1920s Henley Garage, itself on the site of much of Camden Brewery. It had large “T. V. A. M” lettering and a large archway. Inside the atrium was said to match the sun’s travels from East to West i.e. a Japanese Pavilion which was TV-AM’s Green Room represented the East and  the staircase was the Middle East. The journey was said to continue through temple like forms. There were also two studios and the Good Morning Britain set. 12 enormous eggcups were on the roof and could be seen from the canal. In 1993 the TV-am building was sold to MTV Europe who have made some radical changes and major rebuilding.
Elephant House. These are the buildings of Camden Brewery Co Ltd. Founded in 1859. In 1889 they acquired Whitaker, Grimwood and Co with 84 public houses. It was acquired by Courage & Co Ltd in 1923 with 78 tied houses and Brewing ended in 1925. Over an entrance door is a large stone panel with a central roundel and an elephant's head - the brewery's trademark. There is a similar image, in Kentish Town Road.
Walls from the brewery alongside the canal were retained
Henley's Garage warehouse. This large building was reconfigured for TV AM.


Hawley Road
One of the earliest roads laid out by members of the Hawley family in the 1830s on what was previously meadow land.
Fleet River. Until the 19th this area was covered by the pleasure grounds of the Castle Inn, alongside the Fleet River. The confluence of the two bits of the Fleet from Highgate and from Hampstead was at the junction with Kentish Town Road.  The river here was 65' wide
1 House dating from 1837.  The brick addition was a meeting room for the Plymouth Brethren
1-11 Open University – this is their London base.
Hawley Crescent Primary School  - this was the junior department of Hawley Infant School. The building was damaged in Second World War bombing and became unsafe and so was demolished.
New Harmood Estate of 1978-81, arranged around landscaped courts
Atunbi House. on the site of artisans dwellings.
4-6 Bradfield Court on the site of St.Paul’s church and lecture room. This had been a meeting house of the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connection opened in 1842 which had fallen into disuse and was taken over in 1851 by a charismatic Congregationalist, Edward White, under whom it became successful. In 1918 it joined the Kelly Street Congregational Church and is later shown on mid 20th maps as ‘Holy Trinity Memorial Hall’. A block of flats now stands on the site
35 Stags's Head pub this is now flats – Stag Apartments
Railway arches – used for businesses including Victory Motorcycle and classic Citroen car specialist
Clarence Way Tenants and Residents Hall. This is behind other buildings at the north eastern end of the road,  It is used for meetings, young people's clubs, etc.  It is on the site of a building shown as a Unitarian Church in the 1870s.   This was the Free Christian Church founded in 1855 by William Forster  who had been a Congregational pastor but had changed his ideas. A Gospel Hall and Milton Hall, used by the 19th temperance movement is also in this area.  These may be separate buildings, or indeed this one. Milton Hall was said to stand on the site of an old cricket ground.


Jamestown Road
Was Upper James Street and later called James Street
Gilbey House. The distillery opened in 1879 is now part of Gilbey House, formerly the Bottle Warehouse built by William Hucks in 1896. It also includes the W. &A. Gilbey Stores which is now flats.


Kentish Town Road
The River Fleet crossed the road north of the junction with Camden Road. Thus the lower end of the road was once called Water Lane and liable to flood.  The River here could spread to 65 feet wide at flood, as in 1826. It now runs deep below the road in pipes.
Hobgoblin. This was previously the Devonshire Arms
Bridge over the Regents Canal
Sainsburys – entrance to the store in Camden Road
41 Camden Brewery offices, with an elephant's head above the door.
Bridge Wharf Garage, used as a garage for private buses in the 1920s
Railway bridge and Viaduct. The North London Line divides slightly to the west of the road. Built in the early 1850s for the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. While under construction in 1849 seven arches collapsed onto the road. In 1962 two goods trains crashed and five wagons fell onto the road.
57-63 remains of Moreton Villas built in 1837.
65 Quins. Irish pub which was previously called The Moreton Arms. Built in 1842, renamed Duck in 1988 and Quinns in 1994.
99 Police, base for the Cantelowes Safer Neighbourhood Team.  This was once the Clarence Arms, renamed Dillons in 1999 and closed in 2003. Most of the building is now flats and has been rebuilt within the original walls.
101-107 part of Providence Place – in the early 19th this was the name of the houses  between what was then Clarence Road (now Clarence Way) to Castle Road

Lewis Road
A turning off the road went to the backs of houses in Hartland Road. This housed Hemingway and Thomas piano factory and later that of Keith Prowse. It then became the St.Pancras Reform Club frm 1912 to 1970.

Leybourne Road
Light industry and motor trade businesses in railway arches

Oval Road
Southampton Bridge 
Gilbey site. This was the site of Gilbey’s distillery.  It replaced buildings of Camden Flour Mills and the Stanhope Arms. The firm of W. and A Gilbey Ltd, was set up in 1857 to import wine from South Africa was a major employer in the area as well as the largest drinks firm in the world. Its premises here had a floor area of 20 acres with the bottle and bonded warehouses capable of storing 800,000 gallons. Daily a train - the Gilbeys Special -  left for the docks for export. They set up a a gin distillery in 1879 opposite on the Flour Mills site and In 1895 built three tunnels under Oval Road to connect to“A” Shed.
30 The Henson Building. This is on the site of the former railway offices. Some of their façades have been retained and modified in this development. Ventilation grilles from the vaults have been replaced by brickwork.
Eastern Horse Tunnel an entrance has been incorporated into the social housing entrance of the Henson House development.
35 Lock House. This block of flats was built in 2008 and replaced a building of 1977.  That replace Gilbey’s A Shed used for storing and processing wines
Academic House.  On the site of the Stanhope Arms bought by Gilbeys in 1890s. In 1937 rebuilt as Gilbey’s Head office by Serge Chermayeff.
Vaults and tunnels. These were built around 1855-6 on the west side of the Interchange Basin for Allsopp’s Ales, under the forecourt of the present Interchange Warehouse and under 30 Oval Road. They were later taken over by Gilbeys as their No. 1 Bonded Stores. Until the redevelopment of the former railway offices at 30 Oval Road they had survived, but now only some remain,
Pavement – there are a number of goods yard remains, including granite setts, rail lines, granite bollards, ventilation grilles to the horse tunnel below, a turntable and the frames of two


Railway
Kentish Town Junction. At the west end the North London Railway's four tracks come together and branch out to the Chalk Farm and Hampstead Junction
The reversing spur to the interchange basin is marked today by a skew arch under the North London Railway viaduct.
Signal Box. This was a North London Railway design and was between the bridges over Kentish Town Road and Camden Street. It was opened in 1896 and replaced an earlier box. It was renamed Camden Road when the station to the east was renamed and to avoid confusion with a box on the main line out of Euston. It closed in 2011 when signalling was transferred to Upminster.

Torbay Street
Originally laid out in the 1840s by a local builder, Edward Oughten. Part of it was originally called Exeter Street.
Camden Road Coal Depot opened in the railway arches here and used by local coal merchants Locket and Judkins, taken over by Charringtons in 1922 and closed in 1940. Now in use mainly by the motor trade.


Sources
Aldous, London Villages
Allinson and Thornton. London’s contemporary architecture
Barton. London’s Lost Rivers
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Camden History Review
Camden History Society, Primrose Hill to Euston Road. 
Camden Railway Heritage Trust. Web site
Canal Walks
Castlehaven Community Association. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London 
Connor.  Forgotten stations, 
Davies.  Troughs and Drinking Foundations
Day. London Underground
Dingwalls. Web site
Essex Lopresti.  Regents Canal
Field. London Place Names
Glazier. London Transport Garages
GLIAS Newsletter
GLIAS Walk 7
Great Eastern Journal 
Hillman. London Under London
London Borough of Camden. Web site
Lucas. London
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Peaty. Brewery Railways
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pirate Castle. Web site.
Robins. The North London Railway
Scar. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
The Industrial Camera, 
TV AM. Web site.
Tindall. The Fields Beneath 
Walker’s Quay. Web site
Wilson. London's Industrial Archaeology