Sunday, 6 April 2014

North London Railway - Hampstead

The North London Line. Continues from Hampstead Heath station south westwards, running though this area in a tunnel

Post to the west Frognal

This post covers only the south east quarter of the square


Akenside Road
Mark Akenside poet and doctor lived at Golders Hill

Belsize Court Gardens
Mews area named for the gardens of 18th Belsize Court, previously known as the White House, which lay slightly to the north of here in Belsize Lane
1 modernist house

Belsize Crescent
The Belsize area was developed from the 1840s by Daniel Tidey. He sublet an area to the north to William Willett who built this crescent of villas 1868-1875

Belsize Lane
32 St.Christopher’s School. On the site of Belsize Court School, which used Belsize Court. It was founded in the 1880s.  This is yet another fee payer ‘preparatory’ school for girls.

Belsize Place
A footpath follows and old route through the area and links through to Lyndhust Road crossing the line of the Midland Railway which is underground here.
Belsize Court Garages. Red brick range built by Willett as livery stables

Copper Beech Close
Modern housing on an infill site which appears to be built over the twin tunnels of the Midland Main Line out of Euston.


Daleham Gardens
The earliest houses here date from the 1880s
Air vent – an air vent to the Midland Main Line tunnels below are marked on maps for the north end of the road, east side.
33 Gloucester House. NHS Day Unit

Daleham Mews
Stable buildings tarted up by posh architects. Built up from the 1880s.

Fitzjohn’s Avenue
The road was built as a link between Swiss Cottage and central Hampstead on land sold by the Maryon Wilsons to developers in 1875 and named after an estate of theirs in Essex.
Source of the Tyburn.  This is marked by a  disused drinking fountain at the junction with Lyndhurst Road said to be near the site of Shepherd's Well.. This is marked as 'Conduit' on a map of 1814. The well when closed was 24 feet wide and lay about halfway between the fountain and the opposite corner of Akenside Road. The water is said to have clean and pure.
Air vent for the tunnel of the North London Line which runs under the road is marked on maps to the north of the Lyndhurst Road junction.
47 St Mary’s School. Fee paying private Roman Catholic School. Established here in 1926 founded by the Congregation of Jesus. The house dates from 1880 designed by George Lethbridge for L.M. Casella plus a 20th chapel. The house is in orange brick with decoration in high quality gauged and rubbed brickwork. There is a brick boundary wall in stepped sections with cast-iron railings and wrought-iron gates. This was an extremely expensive house to build and its quality is apparent. Casella was the inventor of the clinical thermometer.
66 Havelock Hall, a Baptist Training College.  In the 1930s used as an annexe to Westminster Hospital
66 Marie Curie Hospital for Cancer and Allied Diseases had been founded at 2 Fitzjohn's Avenue in 1929. These buildings, except for the new wing and the shelter, were totally destroyed by a high explosive bomb in 1944. And they moved to the Westminster hospital annexe for temporary relocation. Following repairs and improvement, the 50-bedded Hospital was opened by Queen Mary in 1946.  In 1965 it was decided to move the Hospital in its entirety to a ward at Mount Vernon Hospital, where the equipment of a modern radiotherapy department would be available and The Marie Curie Hospital closed in 1967. The Hospital buildings were demolished in 1969.  The site has been redeveloped and now contains an apartment block fronting Akenside Road. , was replaced in 1969 by flats built for the Medical Research Council.
69 Devonshire House ‘Preparatory’ school, plus nursery. The house was built in 1877 for C. Kemp Wild.
73 alterations of 1901-3 by Voysey for P. A. Barendt
75 Uplands. This is a Gothic style house built in the 19th by T.K. Green for P.F. Poole, RA. It is in purple brick with black and white bands plus a carved monogram "PFP RA". Outside are stepped brick walls with timber gates.
77 Field Court. Housing for the local authority by Pollard Thomas & Edwards built 1977. This is made up of nine houses and twelve flats in a tall, block with pitched roofs intended to echo its 19th  neighbours.


Lyndhurst Gardens
17 The Hoo. This is a large house designed by Horace Field from 1888-90, and altered in 1987-88. It is built of red brick with tile-hanging on the upper storey. The house is now occupied by the Belsize, Gospel Oak and West Hampstead Community Health Teams. The archives of the Royal Free Hospital are also held here. Fleet Counselling, who offer affordable one-on-one counselling services are based here
26 Maria Montessori Children’s House Nursery. It is one of William Willett's developments, designed by H. B. Measures: tall detached gabled house
Marie Curie Hospice. In 1948 Not long before the Hampstead-based Marie Curie Hospital was transferred to the NHS, a group of committee members decided to preserve the name of Marie Curie in the charitable medical field and thus fund raised and set up the Marie Curie Memorial Foundation − a charity dedicated to alleviating suffering from cancer today − today known as Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Lyndhurst road
This was part of the Rosslyn Park Estate, which belonged to Westminster Abbey.  Streets here were developed slowly from 1853, covering the grounds of Rosslyn House.
Tower Close. Built in 1982 by Pollard Thomas & Edwards, with a comer tower. Built on the site of Eldon House
Rosslyn House, this was one of four houses here built in the late 18th and named Rosslyn Lodge when it was the home of the Earl of Rosslyn in the early 19th.  It later became The Royal Soldiers' Daughters' Home, founded in 1855 to relieve the families of soldiers in the Crimea.
Olave Centre. HQ of the World Association of Girl Guides has a core of Rosslyn Lodge a small stuccoed villa built c. 1800, with ogee-topped turret and shallow bow. Extensions, tactfully white-rendered but dwarfing the original house, by John Dangerfield, 1980-91. The centre serves the ten million Girl Guides and Girl Scouts from 145 countries across the world. It is the largest voluntary movement dedicated to girls and young women in the world. Olave of course was the first Chief Guide.
Rosslyn Grove. Late 18th brick house, standing behind the church
Congregational Church building now the AIR Recording Studio. The church originated in services held in an iron building in 1876 and was formed in 1880. Members of the church bought land on the Rosslyn Grove estate, selling part to finance the construction of the church. The new church was opened in 1884 and a lecture hall and school were added later. In 1972 the church became part of the United Reformed churches and closed in 1978. The building is by Waterhouse and centrally planned. It is in purple brick and coloured terracotta decoration; it was changed inside and subdivided as a concert hall and recording studios in 1991-2 by Bernard Parker of Heber-Percy & Parker. 
AIR Studios. The studio began in 1969 when George Martin left EMI to establish an independent recording complex. A sister studio, in Montserrat, opened in mid 1970′s but was forced to close after a hurricane.  In 1991 a new AIR Studios moved into Lyndhurst Hall. Sir George Martin opened it in 1992 with a gala performance of “Under Milk Wood” in the presence of The Prince of Wales.
19-21 Group of 3 houses, plus the old lodge to Rosslyn House attached at the corner. The houses were designed in 1897-8 by Horace Field; and the former lodge was built 1865 attributed to S.S. Teulon.
1-3 Lyndhurst Terrace. Gothic houses designed im 1864-5 by and for Alfred Bell, the stained-glass designer, and his father-in-law John Burlison, assistant to Gilbert Scott.

Shepherd's Walk,
Path to the Shepherd's Well, named for a Mr. Shepherd
Royal Mail Delivery Office

Waterhouse Close
Waterhouse Close. Housing for the elderly by Camden Architect's Department, 1980-2.

Wedderburn Road
Another road named after Alexander Wedderburn, future Earl Rosslyn – Scottish lawyer and Lord Chancellor.
Wedderburn House. Small mansion block of 1884

Sources
AIR studios web site
Borer. Hampstead and Highgate
British Listed Buildings Web site
Camden History review
Clunn.  The Face of London
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide
Field. London place names, 
Hillman. London Under London
London Borough of Camden. Web site.
London Encyclopaedia,
London Transport. Country Walks
Lost Hospitals of London. Web sort
Lucas. London
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
National Archives, Web site
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Summerson. Georgian London
Wade. Hampstead Past
WAGGS. Web site
Walford. Highgate to the Lea

1 comment:

hirundine said...

Spent a lot of my youth around this and other areas of Hampstead. Worked on the Heath for a while, when it was part of the GLC. Thanks for the blog. I found the "Shepherds Well" most interesting.