Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The line runs south east from Blackhorse Road Station and continues south east from Queens Road
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The rail line running north from St James Street Station continues to run north westwards
Post to the west Low Hall
Post to the south Leyton
Post to the north Walthamstow
2c Forest Recycling Project. With practical community-based projects to reduce, reuse and recycle waste
This pathway between the backs of houses was once called Pig Alley
Name has Biblical allusions to the Promised Land and to Paradise – which the houses in the road were supposed to provide.. The road was laid out in the 1850s on Church Common by Ebenezer Clarke, chairman of the Local Board of Health, a philanthropic town-planning exercise in healthy living for the poor with 'Model cottages'. The line of the road defines what was the eastern boundary of the common
50 this was once a pub called Beulah Stores.
Built to link Markhouse Road and Hoe Street
78-80 Walthamstow Seventh Day Adventist Church. Seventh Day Adventists formed a church in 1922 on a site previously occupied by the Walthamstow and Leyton synagogue. The present red-brick church was built in 1928.
140 Walthamstow and Leyton Synagogue. Originally met on corner of Devonshire Road and then took over the Baptist Church in 1914.The Samuel Goldman Memorial Hall was built in 1956. The building was a Baptist church after in 1875 an Iron Chapel was opened here and became a Baptist church. In 1881 the present building was opened and named ‘Boundary Road Baptist Church’.
155a The Meeting Point. Evangelical Free Church
10-12 this old education building has a plaque on it “WEC Gymnasium 1927”. It is assumed this stands for “Walthamstow Education Committee’
Thomas Gamuel Park. This is an area with playgrounds and sports areas, built also has some landscaping with shrubs and winding paths. It was redesigned in the 1990s.
St.Stephens Church. Small church building attached to Stephen House, The church originated in 1874 when a temporary church was built in Copeland Road on a site given by Alfred Janson and Henry Ford Barclay. It became a parish in 1881. A permanent church in Grove Road was consecrated in 1878 but was demolished in 1969 because it was structurally weak. A church hall, built in Copeland Road in 1880, was altered for use as a church. Stephen House and the church appear to have been built on the site of the church and the hall.
Stephen House. Project for young people who need support.
Built on the line of a row of trees and a pond as part of the grounds of Orford House.
Name has allusions to the Biblical Promised Land and to Paradise – which the area hoped to offer. It was laid out in 1850s on the Church Common. The area was laid out in 1862 by Ebenezer Clarke, chairman of the Local Board of Health an exercise in healthy living for the poor as part of the Land,. Building Investment and Cottage Improvement Society. Eighteen model cottages were built, which remain.
5-11 St. Mary’s Place. Built by the National Land Society in the 19th as model cottages.
64 Light Engineering. Formed in 1980, one of the original pioneers in the lighting control market
67 industrial building called, by developers, the rope works. Has large long shed behind and a recessed curved front window. Has been used by a succession of printers, etc.
108 South Site of Mission Grove Primary School.
Edinburgh school was opened in 1907 as a junior council school. It was reorganized in 1929 for senior girls, and in 1946 for juniors. It moved to a new building in 2011. The old building is now the south campus of Mission Grove School
Walthamstow Electricity Works. An electricity generating station, built by the urban district council opened in 1901. It closed in 1968 and was demolished in 1969. The council had been constituted the electric lighting authority in 1895. The total output from the station increased from 225 kW in 1901 to 20,500 kW in 1936 and the plant was retained as a 'Selected Station' by the Central Electricity Board under provisions of the Electricity (Supply) Act 1926.
Refers to Thomas Gamuel, a benefactor of Walthamstow in the 17th
New housing on the site of Walthamstow Queens Road Goods Yard. This opened as Boundary Road Goods Yard in 1894 and was renamed later. It closed in 1982
Grosvenor Park Road
Grosvenor House estate. This had an avenue of large elm trees and was the first to be purchased for development, and the plots were offered for sale from January 1851. The trees were felled and replaced by Grosvenor Park Road properties. The road replaced an elm avenue.
Employment Exchange built 1929 and GR plaque over the door. This is now flats
27 Bremer Works. Works of the Bremer Motor Co. In 1888 Fred Bremer built a car at the back of his house. It had a single cylinder engine and a flywheel to keep the engine running between strokes. The fuel was paraffin. It ran in the road in 1892 and in 1896 took out patents. He gave his car to the local museum in the 1930s
Grosvenor Rise East
Laid out in 1850s on Church Common.
15 The Castle. Pub erected in the 1850’s/60’s as part of the Grosvenor Road development
56-60 factory premises currently a garage. In the 1930s this was a lighting firm called Euston Manufacturing, later a fancy paper goods factory, and then Gainsborough Sheet Metal, and a number of other engineering and similar companies.
74 Grove Tavern. This closed in 2007 after it lost its licence. This pub was established in 1868, initially as the Britannia. At various times it has been a house for Truman’s, Whitbread and Charrington’s Breweries . It became a free house in 1993
106 Registry office. This is the former vicarage of the demolished St Stephen's church built by Habershon & Fawkneor in. 1883. It is a double-gabled house with tall chimney and trefoil-headed windows.
119-121 Grove Road Hall. Used as a community centre by the Waltham Forest Islamic Association.
Recorded with this name in 1697.
213a Baltic Yard. Ex-private bus garage. Presumably demolished for road widening round the station
275 17th timber framed house
277 Jubilee Branch of the Stratford Co-operative and Industrial Society. A long range of shops with a plaque showing beehive motifs and a dedication to the opening. Built 1911 and 1915 by W H. Cockcroft, with two round-headed gables, a turret and a dome.
285 Cleveland House. This was once used by Waltham Forest Health Dept but is now flats, 18th house set back from the road. With extension of 1871.
317 Telephone Exchange built in 1956, with chequer brick panels on a concrete grid. It handles the Coppermill Exchange. It replaced Court House, a house of 1700 damaged by bombing in the Second World War and demolished in 1952
324 The Queen’s Cinema opened in 1911 with an entrance through the ground floor of a terraced house, and the auditorium built at the rear, parallel to Hoe Street. It was on the site of a local builders' merchants called Good Brothers, who built and operated the cinema. T was taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. in 1933, and closed in 1933. It was taken over by Amusements (Leyton) Ltd. in 1934 and refurbished. It closed again in 1940 and became a store. In 1959 it was converted into the Paradise Snooker Club and a bingo club in the 1970’s closing in 1990. In 1996 it was converted into an indoor cricket centre known as the Pavilion and in 1998, was converted into the Pavilion Banqueting Suite.
378 Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints
398 Chestnut House. This was once Essex Technical College and also Walthamstow Training Agency. An18th house rainwater heads dated 1745 and 1747. There are also The initials of Thomas and Catherine Allen, who lived here 1743-63. The grounds were sold to the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway Co. in the 1890s. There is also a service wing and stable block in matching style as well as gate piers
400 Motor dealer and show room in premises possibly built as engineering workshops.
468 - 474 Kingsway International Christian Centre Land of Wonders Pentecostal church. This was the Scala Cinema opened in 1913 and built and operated by Good Brothers, a local builders merchants. It was re-named Plaza Cinema in -1931, but closed soon after. Taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. It re-opened in 1933. It was re-named the Cameo Cinema in January 1961 and closed in 1963. It became a Mecca Bingo Club until 1986. It was then derelict for 18 years until it was taken over by a church in 2004.
Typical Warner Company dwellings with the ‘W’ mark
Lea Bridge Road
London Master Bakers' Benevolent Institution. Designed by T.E. Knightley, 1857-66 with brick buildings on three sides of a large railed court open to the street and extending along the road. They were built for the London Master Bakers' Pension and Almshouse Society was founded in 1832. The main range has a centrepiece with plaques recording that electric light was brought to the almshouses in 1924 and that gas was installed in 1939. A tablet with a harvesting putto plus Reliefs of ploughing and bread making on the sides. Converted into bed sits by the Greater London Council and are now Council housing
The Bakers' Arms, familiar as a bus destination, is a two- storey pub which is now a betting shop. It has granite pilasters, and with a row of pineapples on the parapet. There is a tiled picture of a baker at work.
613 Iceland, this was a Woolworths building with a cream faience-clad front from the 1930s with Art Deco verticals. Now Iceland
557-559 The Drum. Wetherspoons pub. The previous owner had a display of drums.
590 Omnibus and Tramway Depot. This was Lea Bridge Depot. It appears to be a set up initially for Leyton Council Tramway services in 1905 when the council took over the Lea Bridge, Leyton and Walthamstow Tramways Company’s lines. From 1921 London County Council Tramways worked and managed the routes for the urban district council's transport undertaking. The depot closed in 1959 and photographs from that date show London Transport buses.
Leyton High Road
816 William IV pub. Built by Shoebridge & Rising in 1897. It was the Sweet William Brew pub from 2000, now Brodie’s Brewery
Swimming bath. Built in 1934 and replaced by a more modern facility to the south. The site is mow a Tesco
832-836 The King’s Hall opened in 1910 owned by T.J. Hallinan and by 1920, was known as the King’s Cinema. It was taken over by the Granada Theatres chain in 1949 and closed in 1951. It re-opened as the Century Cinema in 1952 and closed in 1963. It was demolished and a Tesco supermarket built there. The building on the site is now a Poundstretchers supermarket
806 Community Place and Ladbrokes. This was the Ritz Cinema with a symmetrical white Art Deco front. The Ritz was opened by Associated British Cinemas in 1938. It was designed by the chain’s in-house architect W.R. Glen. It was re-named ABC in 1962 and taken over by an independent operator and re-named Crown Cinema in 1978 closing in 1979 although for a few weeks there were late-night presentations of Kung-Fu films on Friday’s. It was converted into a DIY hardware store, and later a KwikSave supermarket. It is now a Ladbrokes betting office and offices for community groups.
857 betting shop in old Woolworths store with fiancé tiles
Named from its one older houses. Development in this area began from 1850, after the enclosure of Church Common from 1853. The road became a shopping street, and the relocation of the Town Hall from Vestry House in 1876 confirmed the status of the area as the 'centre of Walthamstow' and remained the centre of town until 1941 when the new Town Hall was opened.
Old Town Hall. Built in 1876 for the Walthamstow Local Board by their surveyor, J. W Swann and later extended. It was added to a public hall built by the Walthamstow Public Hall Company as Walthamstow's first building for public entertainment. The Company failed after 10 years and the Local Board acquired the site,. This hall was replaced by housing around a courtyard, in a rebuilding by Cube Architects in 1994. It continued as the Town Hall for the next 65 years and then became a reception area for the Connaught Hospital to the rear. It later became a nursery and then I Kuan Tao, a non-religious temple which shares teaching from Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism, as well as running classes on yoga and feng shui.
18a Asian Centre including Forest Pathway College. This was St Mary's National Schools built in 1866 and designed by William Wittington and accommodated young boys who previously shared increasingly cramped premises with girls at St. Mary's National School in Vestry Road. The school closed in 1949 and the building became the Pathology Department of the Connaught Hospital to the rear. The Asian Centre provides facilities, support and education for Asian communities in Waltham Forest
31 The Village Pub
45-47 formerly an ironmongery and oil shop, retain some original fittings.
73 Orford House Social Club. This is a 19th stuccoed villa and the oldest surviving building in the conservation area. It was originally the home of John Cass, a Whitechapel merchant. It takes its name from Orford in Suffolk. The club dates from 1921 before which the house was still used as a home. It defines the western end of what was Church Common. A bowling green to the rear is the only remaining section of what were extensive grounds. It is now a co-operative and home to film, poetry and other clubs.
42 Queens Arms. Traditional style 19th pub. It had at one time a large gas lantern hanging outside it. It was erected in 1859 on the edge of the former Church Common
58 Marsh Street & Trinity United Reformed Church. Built 1870 adjoining the former church in West Avenue.
Central Baptist Church. In 1874, Christians started meeting in a house locally and in 1881a brick building was opened in Boundary Road. However more space and a more central site were needed so in 1914, the present building was opened, the church moved here. It was built by W.D.Church and Sons and is well sited for views from Hoe Street.
Walthamstow Queens Road signal box. This was for entry to the goods yard to the south of the station. It was originally, like the goods yard itself, called Boundary Road. It was installed in 1894.
Laid out in 1850s on Church Common
53 Windmill Pub 1857 closed and with peeling lettering over the door.
64 Lorne Arms. It had hand painted mirrors, tiles, etched windows. This pub opened in 1883 and was rebuilt as it appears today in 1888. It closed in 2005 and is now in commercial use. It was originally tied to Savill Brothers Brewery of Stratford, East London – later becoming a Charrington’s house.
Masjid-E-Omer. Built 2003-4 by G. Associates. Yellow brick, with dome and minaret. The Masjid originally started in 1977 a small house on Queens Road 1977 and in 1981 the Synagogue was purchased and converted into a Masjid. Many alterations were made to the building and in 1987 an extension was made .By 2000 it had become too small – worshippers were having to pray on the pavement outside. Rebuilding work started in June 2002 The new Masjid has three floors and this includes a community area, offices, a kitchen, main prayer hall, and class rooms.
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Children’s Services Offices
St Barnabas Road.
St. Barnabas, another companion of Christ, is popular, with six or seven names in the Greater London area.
St Barnabas and St James. Built 1902-3 by W.D. Caroe, for the Warner Estate. The whole cost was met by Richard Foster. It is an architectural contrast to St Michael of twenty years earlier .It is in brick with a thin turret. The foundation stone behind the altar, is by Eric Gill, who was then a pupil of Caroe. There is also metalwork, made for the demolished church of St James by Ashbee's Guild of Handicraft c. 1905 and by Edward Spencer of the Artificers' Guild and many other related art works. .
Vicarage. Caroe 1903-4, gabled, with tile-hung mansard, and neat tilework above the windows.
Parish Hall. Caroe designed 1909, built 1912, with main entrance from Wellesley Road, forming an attractive group with the church. Open arch-braced roof.
Stafford Hall is the original temporary iron church of 1900.
Walthamstow Central Station. This was opened in 1870 and now lies between Wood Street and St.James’s Street on the Chingford branch of the lines from Liverpool Street and it is also the terminus of London Underground’s Victoria Line from Blackhorse Road. It was built by the Great Eastern Railway and opened as Hoe Street Station when it faced open fields but became the main centre of the growing suburb. Originally a line was opened from Lea Bridge Station to a temporary station called Shern Hall Street to the east of the current station and the line that the Chingford branch now uses was opened later in 1872 and extended to Chingford the following year.It remains in a relatively original condition with ppolychrome brickwork. In 1873 a down side platform was built, But there was no booking office until 1897. It became part of the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923 and eventually part of British Rail. The line was electrified in the late 1950s with electric services starting in 1960. In 1968 it was renamed ‘Walthamstow Central’ and rebuilt for the Victoria Line which had originally been intended to run to Wood Street Station, but in the end it was Hoe Street. There is now a joint BR/LT booking hall & bus access. The Victoria Line station is underground and there is a concrete stairway between the two escalators instead of a third escalator. In 2005 a subway was build under Selborne Road linking to a new bus station with a new Victoria line ticket office and lifts.
Goods yard on the down side 1870-1880
Goods yard on the south side 1880. , a footpath ran access it to the Walthamstow Station on the Tottenham to Woodgrange Park line of the Midland Railway. A sidings from here took coal to the Walthamstow Council power station and this continued until 1967. The yard closed 1964.
Bus interchange. This is next to the Victoria Line exit and built in 1968. It has overlapping butterfly roofs on thin hollow-steel posts
Built on the line of a row of trees and a pond as part of the grounds of Orford House.
Trinity United Reformed Church. A 1864 brick built church which became the lecture hall to a newer church in Orford Road. Between 1886 and 1889 it was home to the Monoux School, and between 1883 and 1892 a school of art founded by Walthamstow Literary & Scientific Institute
Yunus Khan Close
New housing on the site of Walthamstow Queens Road Goods Yard. This opened as Boundary Road Goods Yard in 18894 and was renamed later. It closed in 1982
British History Online. Walthamstow
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Theatres Association Picture House
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London.
Connor. St. Pancras to Barking
East of London Old and New
Field. London Place Names
Forest Recycling Project. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Historic Buildings of Walthamstow
Law. Walthamstow Village
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Railway Record.
National Archives. Web site
Orford Conservation Area leaflet
Orford House, Social Clubs. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria County History
Waltham Forest Asian Centre. Web site
Walthamstow Central Station. Wikipedia. Web site