Monday, 25 August 2014
Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. New Romford
Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield
The railway runs north eastwards from Chadwell Heath Station
Post to the west Romford
Post to the north Romford
Post to the east Romford
17 Allen Ford. Current Ford dealership. Charles H. Allen had taken over the business of Slipper's coach builders of North Street Romford from the mid 91th.
Cottons Park. This was originally Cottons Recreational Ground named after the Cottons Estate with a 16th house until the 20th. In 1920 Romford Urban District Council negotiated the ownership of this land and it was cleared and tennis courts and a putting green were laid out using unemployed labour. There was planting and paths one of which went from the London Road, entrance to a bandstand. There were also fields for rugby, soccer and cricket and a children's playground. In the Second World War there were air-raid shelters and a decontamination centre – which later became a café. In 2009 six sculptures commemorated six people killed in bombing in 1940. In the 1960s houses in Marks Road were compulsorily purchased and demolished to enlarge the park. Facilities now include an outdoor gym and areas for younger children and for teenagers.
New Mill Inn. This stood on the corner of Waterloo Road
47 The Sun public house. Probably designed by Sewell for Truman's, on a large scale with Neo Regency-cum-Art Deco details and a, its sun motif blazing. There has been a Sun pub here since the early 17th.
49 Compasses pub. This pub was present before the 1830s but gone before the Second World War
Salem Baptist Chapel. In 1836 a Baptist church was set up. In 1840 land on which the Chapel stands was purchased. The land had been part of a Napoleonic Barrack Ground. The original meeting room was built and the chapel later built round an open air Baptismal Pool. In the 1930s a new church was built on a different site; however the old chapel continued with a new constitution. There was some bomb damaged in the Second World War but repairs were carried out, and later extensions and improvements. The church undertakes much mission work and community involvement.It is now the only 1840s survivor in the neighbourhood
Postmill. This was on the south side of the road, west of St. Andrews' Road. In 1751 the owner was Thomas Green. The Collier family operated the mill until. 1860. The mill had gone by 1871.
Workmen’s Lodging House. This was near Cotton’s Recreation Ground and was an outreach project of the Salem Chapel.
Bus depot. This lay west of Cotleigh Road on the south side and appears to now be the site of St.Andrew’s Court flats. It has been opened in 1932 by Edward Hillman’s Saloon Coaches. It was an early garage to run Green Line coaches but then closed at the outbreak of the Second World War. It reopened and closed several times, but finally in 1977
83 Kwick Fit fronting large factory building now divided into units. This was a bakery belonging to the Co-op.
83a Celestial Church of Christ
119 St Andrews Rectory
140 Omega Court. Modern flats on the site of Jessop’s art deco car dealership works.
164 Slaters Arms
Crowlands Primary School. The school was built on land owned by the charity of Robert Palmer, who left money in 1624 for the poor of Romford. In 1811 the land owned was called Townfield and this was sold in 1907 to the county council. It was originally London Road School for 280 infants designed in 1908 by Cecil Sharp and A.S.R. Ley in an Arts and Crafts style. It was enlarged in1931 but in 1937 the seniors were transferred elsewhere and it was renamed in 1956. . The Infants building has an octagonal tiled roof and classrooms flanking a hall with a central cupola. The Junior School was built in 1912 and bas a central hall. A nursery was added in 2000.
260 The Crown pub. This was once an out of town country pub but the greyhound stadium brought it a lot of business.
Romford Greyhound Stadium was opened near the Crown hotel in 1929. It was the ideas of Archer Leggatt and the hare was pulled round by a bus engine. Following a dispute on rent the present stadium, which is on the opposite side of London Road, was opened in 1933. Over the years the stadium has hosted many events including stock car racing, Wild West shows and cheetah races. It is now one of the few remaining tracks in the country, and is part of Coral, betting empire.
The Manor of Mawneys ran north from Romford High Street to Collier Row. Benjamin Harding Newman inherited the estate in 1882 and put it up for sale. By 1889 much of it had been developed for building. The manor house of Mawneys stood on a moated site and it was demolished about 1935 and the United Services Club now stands on the site
United Service Club. A Formation Committee was set up in 1920 by the ex-servicemen of Romford from the Great War and a club was opened in the High Street in 1921. In 1938 it was decided to extend the facilities and the Committee purchased "Great Mawneys” which opened in 1939. It has been extended since.
44 Mawney Arms. Dates from the 1890s and refurbished 1999. All the old fittings were reinstalled in a bar in Thailand called the Mawney Arms.
Mawney Foundation School. This opened as .Mawney Road Board School in 1896, to replace Albion Street School. It was enlarged in 1907 and in 1936 reorganized in 1936 for juniors and infants. It has recently received Foundation status. The building is by Charles Bell with roof tile hanging and an arcaded entrance.
49 Stanton Gate. Office block and trading estate in what appears to be an old factory site
Public baths. Mawney Road baths were Opened in 1900 were at known as locally 'Craig's White Elephant' since they had been pushed by Councillor J. J. Craig. They were demolished in 1975.
Romford Smallholders. An inaugural meeting of the Romford Smallholders and Allotments Society Ltd. was held in 1911. Sir John Bethel lent the society the money and a site was bought. Potential members paid a five shilling share. The limited company went into liquidation in 1935 and was replaced. The allotments were popular during the Second World War but then declined. In the 1990s efforts were made to sell stock and to clear overgrown sites and facilities have improved
This was the area of the 18th Cavalry barracks which stretched as far as the railway. It was sold in 1840, and developed with artisans' cottages and factories. It became known as New Romford. Since the Second World War it has-been redeveloped with council flats.
British School. This dated from a foundation of 1839 by Congregationalists in Angel Yard and later moved to new buildings in here in 1851. It was supported by subscriptions and children’s pence. In 1872 it was taken over by the newly-formed school board, who turned it into a mixed school – it had been boys only. It was replaced in 1896 by Mawney Road School but the building was later used by St. Andrew's infants’ school, and in 1912 it was sold to Brazier's Yard mission.
There was a considerable area of sidings to the south of the railway as it approaches Romford Station. In the 1860s this was confined to a eastwards running siding into an area known as The Gullet, north and east of Nursery Lane and described as a ‘goods siding’. By the 1890s sidings were running westwards from the main line into the gas works west of Nursery Lane. In the late 1930s the sidings north of the hospital site had increased with cattle pens and lines fanning out towards increased good provision nearer to Romford Station. Lines also extended westwards almost reaching Jutsums Lane. The lines nearer to Romford, between Nursery Lane and Waterloo Road are now the site of some very recent housing, and areas that were sidings near the gasworks are used by a number of industrial and related units and partly, to the west were used by National Grid. To the west of this land is still in use by railway maintenance and other functions accessed from Jutsums Lane Cattle Pens were sited here
Barrack Lane Station. This was the original Romford Station and sited to the west of the current station. The Barracks were in the area now covered by St. Andrews Road.
This, of course, leads to a gate into the park
Queen Elizabeth House. Royal Mail depot on part of the old gas works site.
Self Storage Company area. This uses ‘containers’ rather than a building.
This includes a small light industrial area built post-Second World War. Much of these have been replaced by recent housing
Colvern. Manufacturers of wire-wound potentiometers and variable resistors including high-accuracy precision potentiometers. 650 employees. In 1973 Acquired by Royal Worcester
Colvern House – new housing which is presumably on the site of Colvern’s factory described as ‘a remarkable building by W.Hammond for a number of electrical engineering firms”
St Andrew's Road
32 Prince Albert. Pub. This dates to at least the 1870s
St Andrew. Built 1861-2 by John Johnson in rag stone for the New Romford area with support from the Ind and Coope brewery families. It is named for an original, and lost, parish church in Romford. A High Church tradition was established by 1900 and many original 19th fittings remain. The Church is now also used for Orthodox services at approximately monthly intervals since 2008. The community was recognised as a parish in 2011 and includes English and Greek as well as Russian members.
St.Andrews Church Centre.
2 The Old School House
St. Edwards Way
Part of the Romford Bypass A1251
Oldchurch Hospital. The Hospital originated from the Romford Union workhouse, which lay in the square to the south of this. In 1929 the workhouse and its infirmary came under the administration of Essex County Council, who converted it into the Oldchurch County Hospital. The Hospital, incorporated the old workhouse buildings, but also expanded in an area to the north during the 1930s. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS and remained an acute hospital and in 2000 had 473 beds. The Hospital closed in 2006. The site has been sold and is being redeveloped for housing by E.ON and Taylor Wimpey East London. Much has been demolished
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
British History .On Line Romford
Evans. Romford a History
Evans. Romford Heritage
Evans. Romford people and places over the 10th century
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Grace’s Guide. Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site
London Gardens On Line. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Romford Smallholders Society. Web site
Romford Then and Now. Web site
Salem Chapel. Web site
St.Andrew’s Church. Web site
United Service Club. Web site
Posted by M at 01:56